Private Security

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Major Krash
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Sideshow

Re: Private Security

Post by Major Krash » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:32 pm

our Regional Event is 3 days/2 nights, and we have paid security. Other similar events in similar locations have had security for years, after several disturbing events. Due to geography, LEO's can be 2+ hours away, if not on scene (we now request and pay for LEO's on scene, in addition to Security). We also have a group similar to BRC Rangers, "REF's", who do the same sort of stuff. In practice, the REF's handle the delicate stuff, Security does all the heavy lifting, and the LEO's hang out at Med Tent and have a good time. Our Security company has been doing events like this for many years, with this crowd, and does a very good job. It is extremely helpful when you are running a 400+ person 3 day event in the mountains to be able to have professionals handle security issues (Gate is bad enough). It also helps with the permitting and insurance angles (none of which are issues at BM).

BM is (or should be) different. There are no "outsiders" by definition (GP&E ensure that!). And plenty of LEO's are on scene 24/7 (plus lot's of BRC Rangers). I fully support camp volunteers, but am also a little creeped out at the thought of paid security...if that is what is being talked about
"If you don't think too good, don't think too much" Ted Williams

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:39 pm

ygmir wrote:also, people, if you are in a situation and feeling uncomfortable.......or worse yet, being molested is a way that's "not ok".......scream, yell, kick and spit.....one of us will hear, and come to your aid.
True! Need help? Be loud. Make a fuss. Don't be embarrassed. The playa has a higher-than-average number of proactive people per thousand. Better to be a bit embarrassed in the short-term than get hurt.

Similarly--if you see someone who looks uncomfortable, preyed upon, or or feel like something isn't right, say "Everything all right, here? Come out and have some pretzels and Gatorade. Wanna to go get some air? / I'm headed to the portos, wanna come? / I'm headed to Medical to have a cut looked at, wanna come? They don't charge."

. . . Whatever you feel you need to say. And if it still doesn't look right, alert other people, go get a Ranger from 3:00 & C, 9:00 & C or Center Camp or flag down a cop.
a big part of the discussion here, and this is a very worthwhile discussion is "watching out for eachother".....often it's obvious when someone is up to "no good".....a simple "hey, do you camp here, I'm looking for Tom", can let a thief know they've been spotted.
or
"are you looking for Sue? that's her stuff, hold on , I'll go get her for you".

non confrontational, but shines a light.
Yggy, those are brilliant ways of asking someone what they're up to, especially "Are you looking for Sue? That's her stuff, hold on, I'll get her." It doesn't even have to be Sue's stuff. It can be Joe's stuff. And if they say "I am indeed looking for Sue" you can say "Well, you're in the wrong spot." :lol:

I'm totally going to use that. I'm already ready to confront a stranger if I don't think they're supposed to be somewhere, but it's awkward and those are good techniques for the non-confrontational.

If you're easy-going or shy, you have to think about these things in advance.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:49 pm

Savannah wrote:
ygmir wrote:also, people, if you are in a situation and feeling uncomfortable.......or worse yet, being molested is a way that's "not ok".......scream, yell, kick and spit.....one of us will hear, and come to your aid.
True! Need help? Be loud. Make a fuss. Don't be embarrassed. The playa has a higher-than-average number of proactive people per thousand. Better to be a bit embarrassed in the short-term than get hurt.

Similarly--if you see someone who looks uncomfortable, preyed upon, or or feel like something isn't right, say "Everything all right, here? Come out and have some pretzels and Gatorade. Wanna to go get some air? / I'm headed to the portos, wanna come? / I'm headed to Medical to have a cut looked at, wanna come? They don't charge."

. . . Whatever you feel you need to say. And if it still doesn't look right, alert other people, go get a Ranger from 3:00 & C, 9:00 & C or Center Camp or flag down a cop.
a big part of the discussion here, and this is a very worthwhile discussion is "watching out for eachother".....often it's obvious when someone is up to "no good".....a simple "hey, do you camp here, I'm looking for Tom", can let a thief know they've been spotted.
or
"are you looking for Sue? that's her stuff, hold on , I'll go get her for you".

non confrontational, but shines a light.
Yggy, those are brilliant ways of asking someone what they're up to, especially "Are you looking for Sue? That's her stuff, hold on, I'll get her." It doesn't even have to be Sue's stuff. It can be Joe's stuff. And if they say "I am indeed looking for Sue" you can say "Well, you're in the wrong spot." :lol:

I'm totally going to use that. I'm already ready to confront a stranger if I don't think they're supposed to be somewhere, but it's awkward and those are good techniques for the non-confrontational.

If you're easy-going or shy, you have to think about these things in advance.
indeed. keeps me from getting trampled.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:03 pm

TLDR -- we're talking about chastity belts here, right?

"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:07 pm

MacGlenver wrote:TLDR -- we're talking about chastity belts here, right?

Master master!!! you gave me the wrong key..

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:35 pm

Those should only be made out of chocolate! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:47 pm

I thought the Pershing county sheriff department was increasing their presence.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Thecatman wrote:I thought the Pershing county sheriff department was increasing their presence.
no! Burning Man org. is increasing their presents

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Thecatman wrote:I thought the Pershing county sheriff department was increasing their presence.
Nevada passed a law that specifically made it illegal to do what Pershing Co. was trying to do. So now they are reduced to what ever passive/aggressive crap they can invent instead.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:07 pm

They can't charge for a permit, so they'll need to get their money another way. There will be more law enforcement on playa than ever this year, as always.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 8:54 am

While Pershing county was in the process of losing their battle to charge more for services this year, the county DA was commenting something to the effect of "if we can't charge more we may not be able to supply more enforcement".

The reason being that BM was taking more of Pershings resources away from regular county/enforcement issues. So not sure if there will be more of a Pershing co presence in BRC than last year or not. BLM will surely fill the void and also extra help from Washoe county.

I would be more worried about Pershing county and Nv Highway Patrol on my way to the burn. Especially for those coming in to Nv from I80 east". You will be passing through Pershing co./Lovelock.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

geospyder

Post by geospyder » Sat Jul 13, 2013 9:22 am

At this point Washoe is not on the Playa except as tourists. They patrol Gerlach and the highways outside the Playa.
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:35 am

Oh I thought some of the washoe guys moonlighted for blm up there
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Jul 15, 2013 3:33 pm

I ran across this on Pinterest. So some dumb dirtbag is planning to search your tent for valuables. Just set up the 'mini-sentry trip wire alarm system and as soon as he unzips the tent....BANG. It fires a 22 blank. Great for RVs, coolers, practical jokes etc...
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:00 pm

Ratty wrote:I ran across this on Pinterest. So some dumb dirtbag is planning to search your tent for valuables. Just set up the 'mini-sentry trip wire alarm system and as soon as he unzips the tent....BANG. It fires a 22 blank. Great for RVs, coolers, practical jokes etc...

... er? And you when you're tired and forget you trapped your own tent?

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 5:15 pm

Gate won't let a firearm through, and most of you look prettier with two eyes instead of one. Don't boobytrap your tents. Lock your valuables 1) out of sight 2) in vehicles.

* # of times friends have returned a borrowed item to my tent when I was out: at least 4 or 5
* # of Tents nearby that resembled mine last year: 1
* # of Times I have approached my tent when tired or tipsy and could've tripped such a mechanism myself: oh, several.
* # of times anyone has accessed my tent for purposes of thievery: 0

theCryptofishist

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:13 pm

Actually, I just decided your dusty stuff shit *wasn't worth stealing.

Sorry.

*Hate to do that to Savannah, but it works better.
Last edited by theCryptofishist on Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:26 pm

[quote="Simon of the playa"]

the thought of private security is distasteful, but also know this, there are some people on the playa who don't travel without it.

anywhere.

/quote]

Are you shitting me!? Who and why!?
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:34 pm

Guns restricted by design as blank guns are not firearms in most states.
That would be a device that is not actually a gun, and incapable of firing rounds.
Usually treated as a type of pyro, separate from fireworks, which they are.

A firearm firing blanks may be legal where the weapon is legal, but not allowed to be fired with ammunition. (not relevant to the playa I imagine)
And there are blank powered devices that are legal in places blank guns are not.

There are some handgun film props that can fire full auto, and are fairly cheap.
Legal in most places.
Blanks only.

Low tents that restrict movement do seem to be least favored by thieves.
They are in a hurry.
They don't spend time in a hard to search tent.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:42 pm

I'll bet you're right, but that's not what I'm arguing. :) I'm saying that Gate would probably restrict items meant to fire blanks (or strongly resembling fireworks) regardless of the exact letter of the law--because entering the event is up to their discretion when it comes right down to it. For example, it's not illegal to stuff a person into the storage space under your RV couch, but Gate looks for it.

More importantly, ePlaya can't (in good conscience) encourage people to do a particularly stupid and dangerous form of boobytrap in camp. It's unnecessary, and likely to hurt the wrong person.
gyre wrote:Low tents that restrict movement do seem to be least favored by thieves.
They are in a hurry.
Aye. I'll bet it sucks to get caught on all fours facing away from the person whose tent you're robbing. It's like high school wrestling all over again, only alcohol-soaked and tinged with righteous indignation.

The lower tents also tend to be cheaper, so a thief is going to expect less of value.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:17 pm

I thought we already had the conversation regarding starter's pistols. I just thought I'd bring a starter's pistol into the temple to shoot the blanks in reverence to whatever it is that everybody is being all reverent about.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jul 15, 2013 11:48 pm

CornMan wrote:I thought we already had the conversation regarding starter's pistols.
I think we did, but you might like to get a little more negative attention out of it. :lol:

gyre

Post by gyre » Tue Jul 16, 2013 12:04 am

I'm not advocating tent traps, no matter how hysterical they might be.

I've used fish hooks etc in real life and it's important to recall where they are.

CornMan

Post by CornMan » Tue Jul 16, 2013 7:57 am

Loud, banging starter's pistols is just plain ridiculous and will not be happening anywhere on the playa. Private security, however, will be a reality at at least one plug and play camp. They have substantial property to guard of course, but mainly it's to keep the snoopers and pranksters out.
The camp with a difference
Never mind the weather
When you camp with Plug & Ply
Your holiday's forever

ygmir
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:37 am

Savannah wrote:I'll bet you're right, but that's not what I'm arguing. :) I'm saying that Gate would probably restrict items meant to fire blanks (or strongly resembling fireworks) regardless of the exact letter of the law--because entering the event is up to their discretion when it comes right down to it. For example, it's not illegal to stuff a person into the storage space under your RV couch, but Gate looks for it.

More importantly, ePlaya can't (in good conscience) encourage people to do a particularly stupid and dangerous form of boobytrap in camp. It's unnecessary, and likely to hurt the wrong person.
gyre wrote:Low tents that restrict movement do seem to be least favored by thieves.
They are in a hurry.

Aye. I'll bet it sucks to get caught on all fours facing away from the person whose tent you're robbing. It's like high school wrestling all over again, only alcohol-soaked and tinged with righteous indignation.

The lower tents also tend to be cheaper, so a thief is going to expect less of value.
this, I will hope I get to participate in one day........"hey, what ya doin in my/that tent?"....."lets wrassle" (in Jethro Bodine voice)
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”