I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
ellenXxXzena
Burning Since: 2014

I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:41 pm

I have questions.... evil, time consuming questions....

1. If you are not a performer or an artist of any sort and have no plans of finding some voodoo witch doctor to give you some sort of amazing artistic ability, are you still allowed to go to Burning Man?

2. Are you allowed to camp at Burning Man if you are not contributing anything, other than volunteering you time and money?

3. How do I purchase a ticket if there is no box office, no phone number and no email address as to which I can use?

Muchas gracias for taking time to read this.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 8:48 pm

Oh, boy.

*sigh*

I'm feeling generous so I'll just say this: one of the guiding principles of Burning Man is self-reliance. If you can't be bothered to find the answer to those questions yourself through a modicum of research (ie, browsing the internet) on something you're supposedly willing to devote a week of your life to in inhospitable, never mind uncomfortable, conditions, then we won't take kindly to doing it for you.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:06 pm

Yes, you can go to Burning Man.

Tickets are sold through the Burning Man website, and they sell out immediately.

There is a last chance, "OMG" ticket sale in August. Tickets can also be bought from private parties selling them because they ended up not being able to make it, either right here on eplaya or places like Craigslist.

The best way to get a ticket after they have sold out is through Burning Man's "STEP" (Secure Ticket Exchange Program). People who can't make it put up their tickets, people like you buy them, and Burning Man handles the transaction, making it the most reliable and secure way to go. I've forgotten if there was a deadline to register for STEP and whether it has passed already.

Look at the Burning Man website, find and read the Survival Guide. First. Before you do anything else. You need to know what you're getting into and how to prepare yourself. Nothing is available when you get there, it's the middle of a fucking desert!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:14 pm

Bought 2 tickets today on CL for face value.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:22 pm

FIGJAM's so good, he goes every year - twice.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

StevenGoodman

Post by StevenGoodman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:25 pm

There are a lot of people who end up with an extra ticket or two, who sell them at cost. A lot of friends of friends selling tickets. Facebook, etc. I just sold one last week (sorry, no more!).

STEP is great if you can get a ticket there.

Martini Steve
Playawaste Raiders and Megaton Bar and Grill

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:26 pm

But the 48 hour days are a bitch! :wink:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:27 pm

FIGJAM wrote:But the 48 hour days are a bitch! :wink:
:lol:

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:38 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:Oh, boy.

*sigh*

I'm feeling generous so I'll just say this: one of the guiding principles of Burning Man is self-reliance. If you can't be bothered to find the answer to those questions yourself through a modicum of research (ie, browsing the internet) on something you're supposedly willing to devote a week of your life to in inhospitable, never mind uncomfortable, conditions, then we won't take kindly to doing it for you.
Well, I'm also feeling generous today, so I'll ask you this: don't you think someone who has taken the time to register an account on a forum of which there is no guarantee of an answer, has also taken the time to research these questions before asking them? And none of my questions involve any sort of resentment or insight to rather or not I'm willing to devote a week of life to Burning Man. And who are the "we" you talk of, anyways?

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Yes, you can go to Burning Man.

Tickets are sold through the Burning Man website, and they sell out immediately.

There is a last chance, "OMG" ticket sale in August. Tickets can also be bought from private parties selling them because they ended up not being able to make it, either right here on eplaya or places like Craigslist.

The best way to get a ticket after they have sold out is through Burning Man's "STEP" (Secure Ticket Exchange Program). People who can't make it put up their tickets, people like you buy them, and Burning Man handles the transaction, making it the most reliable and secure way to go. I've forgotten if there was a deadline to register for STEP and whether it has passed already.

Look at the Burning Man website, find and read the Survival Guide. First. Before you do anything else. You need to know what you're getting into and how to prepare yourself. Nothing is available when you get there, it's the middle of a fucking desert!
Thank you! I have read the Survival Guide twice so far, and I'm definitely reading it again before I go. Your information has been a big help and I thank you for that.

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:41 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Bought 2 tickets today on CL for face value.
Definitely going to look there for next year. Thank you.

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:50 pm

StevenGoodman wrote:There are a lot of people who end up with an extra ticket or two, who sell them at cost. A lot of friends of friends selling tickets. Facebook, etc. I just sold one last week (sorry, no more!).

STEP is great if you can get a ticket there.

Martini Steve
I read about STEP under the FAQ for tickets. I think I might go ahead and set up a Bunner profile so I can be ready for when 2014 tickets go on sale. Thanks for the advice!

littlebird
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Tone Age

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:05 pm

ellenXxXzena wrote:
Dude, you can STILL look on craigslist for tickets. I guarantee there's still people selling them on CL and they will continue to do so until the first day of Burning Man. Are you a troll?

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:07 pm

Im one of the "we" BSG speaks of.

If your questions are actually legit, then you have done zero research. Radical inclusion tops the list of the 10 principals.

Of course I shouldnt feed the trolls....
Praise the Lowered

pink
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:19 pm

Fuck the survival guide, read the First-Timers Guide. Much more in depth and very, very long. Read all of it. Then you'll be ready to plan for 2014.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:31 pm

littlebird wrote:
ellenXxXzena wrote:
Dude, you can STILL look on craigslist for tickets. I guarantee there's still people selling them on CL and they will continue to do so until the first day of Burning Man. Are you a troll?
Dude, I realize you can still look on CL for tickets for this year, but do you honestly think that someone with such a lack of knowledge would honestly even be worried about going to Burning Man this year, with such little time to prepare? And, no I'm not a troll. But since you obviously lack a little thing called common sense, I could ask you the same question...
Last edited by ellenXxXzena on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:34 pm

She's planning for 2014. Please quit being so holier than thou; especially before page two.

(There's a Burning Man Facebook page for condescension and snark.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

ranger magnum wrote:Im one of the "we" BSG speaks of.

If your questions are actually legit, then you have done zero research. Radical inclusion tops the list of the 10 principals.

Of course I shouldnt feed the trolls....
Okay. You can be one of the "we" all you want, but that still doesn't explain who "we" actually is/are, and why I'm being treated so rudely by "we". Is "we" a group of pricks or something? And did you thing classifying yourself with the "we" makes you a superior being to the rest of the mere humans that walk Earth?

I have read the Ten Principals. Twice. My question was meant by way of asking if I was allowed to stay/be part of Burning Man, not just be a pedestrian with a ticket, but actually participate. If you read the rest of my questions, you might have guessed that. Excuse me over the place for not explaining every little detail in the first place.

But if you didn't feed the trolls, you would wither up and die from starvation, right?
Last edited by ellenXxXzena on Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:40 pm

pink wrote:Fuck the survival guide, read the First-Timers Guide. Much more in depth and very, very long. Read all of it. Then you'll be ready to plan for 2014.
Will do. Thank you. :wink:

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Jul 31, 2013 10:55 pm

The desert is a harsh place, more so than any heat found here.....just helping to get you prepared.

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:15 pm

I'm drunk. Sorry for being holier-than-thou.

ETA: I don't even go to church. So I'm not holier than whomever. Just drunk.
Last edited by littlebird on Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gyre

Post by gyre » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:16 pm

There are a million ways to participate.

ellenXxXzena

Post by ellenXxXzena » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:31 pm

littlebird wrote:I'm drunk. Sorry for being holier-than-thou.

... White Russians? My favorite drink... that and wine coolers... I like my fruity drinks. :P

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:34 pm

ellenXxXzena wrote:
littlebird wrote:I'm drunk. Sorry for being holier-than-thou.

... White Russians? My favorite drink... that and wine coolers... I like my fruity drinks. :P
White russiand are yummy. I think of the Dude when I drink them. Duuuude. Again, I'm sorry.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:41 pm

ellenXxXzena wrote:I have questions.... evil, time consuming questions....

1. If you are not a performer or an artist of any sort and have no plans of finding some voodoo witch doctor to give you some sort of amazing artistic ability, are you still allowed to go to Burning Man?

2. Are you allowed to camp at Burning Man if you are not contributing anything, other than volunteering you time and money?

3. How do I purchase a ticket if there is no box office, no phone number and no email address as to which I can use?

Muchas gracias for taking time to read this.
Welcome to ePlaya, Ellen.

I am On Of The We. We are mostly veterans of this forum who have seen an alarming number of new-comers display a scary degree of cluelessness, so we tend to have short tempers on that front. Apologies if we are in error with you. But your original post does fit the profile of a clueless person, so we leap to action, defending the ethos of Burning Man.

Captain Goddammit gives you an excellent answer.

I'll add my own:
1. Anyone with a ticket and adequate supplies is "allowed" to drive thru the gate into Black Rock City. I perceive you mean more than that, for which I salute you!
The definition of "art" is very broad at this event. Practically anything you do can qualify as art. A clever home-made tent is very much "art" at BM. My art is repairing bicycles. Not a bleeping artistic thing about it, but I believe I contribute to the art festival community of BRC, and that "gets me thru the gate". Most likely, you can also contribute in some way. Gradually, you will become more involved. You may even find you have "artistic" abilities you never suspected.

2. You are correct, spectators are frowned upon. This is an all-participant event. But I pick up on the "volunteering your time", and there are many highly worthwhile ways to do this. At one end of the spectrum, you might help a neighbor erect his tent and other camp features. At the other end of the spectrum, the Department of Gate, Perimeter and Exodus is currently searching for volunteers to join the Gate crew -- working a few six-hour shifts. Major Playa creds to be earned here, for a person who can handle it. This is not open to you in your first year, but selling ice and other volunteering is. Go to the Volunteering web page.

Never mind money. Sure, we all know painfully well that we spend a lot of the Stuff in order to go, but once you enter BRC money is not mentioned. Neither are cell phones, television and much other "default world" crap. Burning Man is a full-immersion vacation from all that caca, and if you fail to grasp this concept kind'a instinctively, you may be looking at an event that may not be right for you.

By the way, going and camping is pretty much the same thing -- everybody camps.

3. As mentioned by several, you can perfectly well buy a ticket -- for this year or next. I'll join the other "we"s regarding the fact that this is a perfect topic for you to figure out thru self-reliance by reading deeply here on ePlaya.

Please stick around here on the forum, and feel free to ask more questions after you have self-reliantly worked your way thru these ones.

All my best,
Elliot

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Jul 31, 2013 11:56 pm

ellenXxXzena wrote:
Okay. You can be one of the "we" all you want, but that still doesn't explain who "we" actually is/are...And did you think classifying yourself with the "we" makes you a superior being to the rest of the mere humans that walk Earth?
The "we" refers to the people you desperately (all caps and eight - count 'em - eight exclamation points) want to answer your "evil, time consuming questions." The request and the knowledge gap puts us in a position of power over you, and, frankly, power corrupts :twisted: I was being burnier-than-thou and have been rightly called out on that. Call it a case of seeing red over flagrant punctuation abuse, plus melodrama.
ellenXxXzena wrote:
My question was meant by way of asking if I was allowed to stay/be part of Burning Man, not just be a pedestrian with a ticket, but actually participate.
An admirable goal - something I think everybody should strive for.

But mostly, Burning Man is what you make of it. No one there is your mom, which means we're not going to be monitoring your every move, we won't be making sure you go to bed on time, we won't be providing you with everything you need to survive, and we won't be holding your hand to find (or read?) the tickets.burningman.com webpage. Once you're sure you'll survive without mooping, find your own way to contribute. Or swing by Lamplighters one afternoon, we'll put you to work. It might even be fun :)

ellenXxXzena wrote:
Do you honestly think that someone with such a lack of knowledge would honestly even be worried about going to Burning Man this year, with such little time to prepare?
Yes. Such people post here on a near-daily basis around this time of year. Maybe now the fact that you're planning for 2014 and not 2013 doesn't seem like such a little detail?

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”