Prepare a Living Will?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Prepare a Living Will?

Post by Krokodyle » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:28 pm

In the spirit of Keeping Burning Man Potentially Fatal, I've done some very basic research into setting up a living will that I (or you) can keep with me (or you) while on the playa. I found this site (it's a health care org) which appears to offer links for free forms, separated by state, that you can fill out with your "advance directives", print out, and carry with you. (I'm not connected with the site, and it doesn't appear to be a commercial site per se, so I hope the link is okay with the mods) :D

Feedback? Good thing? Bad thing?

*I apologize in advance if this topic has been covered before, a search for living will didn't turn up anything.*
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Re: Prepare a Living Will?

Post by AntiM » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:19 pm

Couldn't hurt, unless you're superstitious and think it will jinx your burn.

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Fri Aug 09, 2013 8:59 am

From Wikipedia: "An advance health care directive, also known as living will, personal directive, advance directive, or advance decision, is a set of written instructions that a person gives that specify what actions should be taken for their health if they are no longer able to make decisions due to illness or incapacity. The instruction appoints someone, usually called an agent, to make such decisions on their behalf. A living will is one form of advance directive, leaving instructions for treatment. Another form authorizes a specific type of power of attorney or health care proxy, where someone is appointed by the individual to make decisions on their behalf when they are incapacitated."

So if you get squished by an art car and you want or don't want the Reno hospital keeping you alive with medical technology, or you want your organs donated, or you want to be buried/cremated if you pass; you can specify some or all of the above by having a living will set up and either witnessed or notarized.

I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Fri Aug 09, 2013 9:20 am

I fully support such documents and I urge everyone to execute one, whether or not you are heading into danger. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:10 am

MyDearFriend wrote:I fully support such documents and I urge everyone to execute one, whether or not you are heading into danger. 8)
Yup. Totally agree.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”