Awwww, Jcliff! :D Have a amazing Burn!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: Gross medical question

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:09 pm

jcliff: don't forget you've got all your fellow villagers for on-playa support, in the event you need it.

When I slit my finger last year I felt really stupid and just sat there for a moment, bleeding slowly, ashamed. I tried to bandage the cut but it was tough with just one hand. I eventually realized I would only botch the job, so I called a passing lamplighter over and asked in an incredibly meek voice if she could help me. I'm very much the sort who puts on a tough tomboy act, so asking for help was harder on me than the injury itself.

My campmate helped me out immediately and cheerfully, chatting lightly to distract me. It was the sort of no-fuss calmness that made me wonder why I'd been ashamed in the first place. Nobody looked down on me for needing a tiny bit of assistance; all I had to do was ask.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:21 pm

maryanimal wrote:I was looking into the helicopter insurance and you can apply for it only if you already have medical insurance. I was thinking about getting it but I don't have medical insurance.
I believe some travel insurance policies cover this and don't require medical insurance. They cost about 50 to 60 dollars.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:25 pm

BoyScoutGirl wrote:jcliff: don't forget you've got all your fellow villagers for on-playa support, in the event you need it.

When I slit my finger last year I felt really stupid and just sat there for a moment, bleeding slowly, ashamed. I tried to bandage the cut but it was tough with just one hand. I eventually realized I would only botch the job, so I called a passing lamplighter over and asked in an incredibly meek voice if she could help me. I'm very much the sort who puts on a tough tomboy act, so asking for help was harder on me than the injury itself.

My campmate helped me out immediately and cheerfully, chatting lightly to distract me. It was the sort of no-fuss calmness that made me wonder why I'd been ashamed in the first place. Nobody looked down on me for needing a tiny bit of assistance; all I had to do was ask.
You're making my heart hurt! Even as I completely understand the I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF thing. :)

Glad you let your campmate help you.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:36 pm

Savannah wrote:
BoyScoutGirl wrote:jcliff: don't forget you've got all your fellow villagers for on-playa support, in the event you need it.

You're making my heart hurt! Even as I completely understand the I WANT TO DO IT MYSELF thing. :)

Glad you let your campmate help you.
I tell that story often. If, next time it manifests itself, I can save one person from fifteen minutes of silent, powerless raging at The Ziplock That Stymies The Wounded, all have been worth it.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

gyre

Post by gyre » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

I got flight insurance one year with trip insurance. cheap
You can get it through aaa too.

Of course, you never have anything big drop on you when you're insured.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:05 am

gyre wrote:I got flight insurance one year with trip insurance. cheap
You can get it through aaa too.

Of course, you never have anything big drop on you when you're insured.
That's....bad?

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:33 pm

I am a firm believer in trip insurance--I've had really bad luck on one vacation. I have pretty sweet medical insurance, but there's always incidentals.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

ChrissyP

Post by ChrissyP » Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:43 pm

Please make sure your doc knows that you will be in the sun, and that hopefully there is an antibiotic that does not make you too sensitive to the sun..... you may want to bring lightweight long sleeved cotton shirts anyway. I had a planned surgery when we got home last year (15 hours after we pulled into our driveway) and had been on antibiotics for several months pre-burn.... the hives from the sun on my skin were horrible, and lasted for months post playa. I did wear sleeves, at least until the critical ride on Friday afternoon..... hives suck.

You might also want to have some benedryl, both pill and spray just in case you do end up with a reaction due to the antibiotics......

I'm so glad that you talked with your doc's office. maybe soft boots that will cover your bandages with little to no pressure or rubbing? that'd help you to keep them on, keep it clean. Have a great burn!
Work is Love Made Visible. KG

BirthChazz
Camp Name: Valhalla

Post by BirthChazz » Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:20 pm

Hope your burn was infection FREE!!
xoxo
“How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these.” George Washington Carver

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Savannah wrote:
theCryptofishist wrote:You forgot Spontaneous detaching of feet...
:oops: :lol:

. . . I hope he would notice that one. But I do know a person who fractured his leg on the playa, & stayed a few more days. :shock: It is by far the weirdest thing I know about him.
Oops, I had similar drama (not BM) fractured my leg at Kirkwood ski area in February :shock: . Quit skiing, thought it was a bad sprain., hung around
hit a few hot springs, even drove across the playa (dry year no water on playa in Feb!) 27 miles to Double Hot HS. Slipped into hot water and burned the area above
the ankle that was broken. They couldn't treat the break for 3 weeks till the burn healed. :oops:
All is fine now. :D

(LOL crash & burn is spot on)
Last edited by skibear on Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
crash & burn ski lessons given

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 pm

So, crash and burn?

skibear
Burning Since: 2002

Post by skibear » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:29 pm

gyre wrote:So, crash and burn?
Ha
the sig is normally a joke ski term but just made it medical and real !!
crash & burn ski lessons given

gyre

Post by gyre » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:14 pm

I didn't even see the sig line.

jcliff
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Lamplighter Village

Post by jcliff » Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:06 am

Just following up....the wounds were NO problem at all on playa. We have an MD in our Lamplighter crew that changed my bandages the first couple times. I brought all the stuff with me. Here was the regimen if anyone finds themselves in my boat. Swipes on the wounds with clean water on a sterile gauze pad, debriding any loose skin bits. No ointment or cleaning solutions, just water. Gauze pad folded up and placed over the wound. A sheet of Tegaderm placed over the gauze. Make sure the Tegaderm has enough space to seal and not buckle. My wounds were pink and happy the whole Burn. I changed the dressings every day, but once I saw it done I could do it with a non-medical partner every day. No worries! Tegaderm is the answer to keeping wounds clean!

Sail Man
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Kidsville: Delicious

Post by Sail Man » Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:15 pm

Nice to hear everything went well for you. And yes, that Tegaderm is great shit, we use it all the time in the field when at work, and I have adopted it for my own personal use as well.
Excuse me Ma'am, your going to feel a small prick.

Algorithms never survive the first thirty seconds of patient contact

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:16 pm

Nice work, JCliff! :D

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:33 pm

Yep, not surprised the Tegaderm worked...once in a while there's a new product that really is better, and really does what it says on the tin. So I always try to recommend them when I see them, to reward accurate marketing and scientific advancement. :)

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Sail Man wrote:Nice to hear everything went well for you. And yes, that Tegaderm is great shit, we use it all the time in the field when at work, and I have adopted it for my own personal use as well.
EMT tested, EMT approved!
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”