Need Advice!

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
paintballin32

Need Advice!

Post by paintballin32 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:01 pm

I need to get in touch with Lawyers for Burners. I filled out the Law Enforcement Feedback form a little over a week ago, and have not heard back from them yet. I need a lawyer by sep. 30th. There is no other contact information for Lawyers for Burners anywhere online. If anyone knows of another way to get in contact with them, or knows off another lawyer who can arrange a "Closure Order Violation" please PM me!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: Need Advice!

Post by Drawingablank » Tue Sep 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Well actually a 10 second search on the main website brings up http://www.lawyersforburners.com/
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:44 am

Moving this to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general questions. You may also want to note that the law enforcement feedback form is exactly what it says, it's not intended as a request form to get a lawyer. Ideally, the form is used on the playa immediately following any interaction (good or bad), so that steps can be taken to improve things at the event, or if necessary so that investigations can begin immediately. Forms sent in after the event are also good information, though generally less helpful (since they're not sent in until after-the-fact). While individually they may not mean a whole lot, collectively they're incredibly helpful to identify trends and problems.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:28 am

I’m trying real hard not to say anything, but….

..You want a lawyer to…
paintballin32 wrote:...arrange a "Closure Order Violation"...
???!!!
What do you mean? Weasel you out of your violation citation?

Well, since I spent 42 hours helping enforce the Closure Order this year, I just might have some advice for you.

Gate & Perimeter works closely with BLM on this. When a Perimeter patrol spots someone in the Closure Area, outside BRC itself, we do our best to guide that person to where they need to go, without the BLM involved. And when someone fails to heed our directions and we do radio for the BLM officer on Perimeter duty, that BLM officer does his best to guide the person right without “paperwork”. This I know from personal close observation of the BLM officer who works the same shift as I. Only when the person utterly fails to cooperate with first us and then the BLM officer, can the person expect legal complications.

In other words, it takes REAL EFFORT to wind up in court over a Closure Order Violation.

So my advice is…. You made your bed, now lie in it like a man.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:05 am

...or a whinny little bitch, whichever he prefers. :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:21 pm

Well, if they've managed to end up in court...it's probably not a good idea to go in there without a lawyer. It does seem like something that Lawyers for Burners would not be enthusiastic about defending.

paintballin32

Post by paintballin32 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:41 pm

"The good news for Participants in 2012 is that every Participant had the option to plead guilty to a non-drug offense like “Closure Order Violation” and pay a fine of between $400 for marijuana and up to $950 for multiple controlled substances. Lawyers for Burners attorneys negotiated this option with the office of the United States Attorney, District of Nevada in 2011, and it continues to provide a consistent and reasonable resolution of BLM issued citations.

Unfortunately, many Participants are unaware of this option and they simply pay the amount of the citations ($125 or $525) by mail. But Participants who do this can be pleading guilty to possession of drugs or drug paraphernalia. This guilty plea could negatively impact their personal and professional future.

Lawyers for Burners can recommend attorneys who will represent Participants and negotiate a more favorable plea arrangement. The lawyer can appear in court for the Participant so that the Participant does NOT have to travel to Reno, Nevada. Lawyers for Burners attorneys charge very reasonable fees. Some attorneys will represent Participants for no charge based on ability to pay"

I'm not trying to get a free lawyer or get out of the ticket... I just want a lawyer who has done Burning Man before.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 2:40 am

Sounds reasonable. It would suck to have a drug offense on your record as opposed to a a trespass type violation. See what the folk on that LFB site can do for you. I don't know if you can switch the offense type this late in the game though. Worth a shot.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Sep 19, 2013 7:50 am

Paintballing32, thank you for providing that information. Good to know, and it puts your situation in the correct light. Assuming this was a mere cannabis situation (as opposed to harmful substances), I wish you the best of luck.

hazertag

Post by hazertag » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:12 am

I was in a similar situation, my 30-day window coming up and I had not heard back from LFB. I finally got an email from them...general info that didnt necessarily help me make my decision on whether to fight or pay.

I then called them because I needed to pay the ticket that day, or decide to fight it.

That is not the case. Just because you do not pay within the 30 day window does not mean you HAVE to fight it. I confirmed with multiple sources, including the Nevada/Reno court and a lawyer, that you can still decide to simply pay the fine (with no further repurcussions) after the 30-day window, but BEFORE YOUR COURT DATE. All the 30-day trigger does is tell the court system to send you a court date. That is all. Obviously, if you dont pay your ticket and then do not show up in court (yourself, or a hired lawyer) that would be bad news.

PM me if you would like more details on how to get in touch with these people yourself. I hope its not too late!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”