What are your projects for 2014?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Elliot
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Buddha Camp At The Lotus Dome

Re: What are your projects for 2014?

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:34 am

bm_cricket wrote:...
I know that it's just slightly out of "code" and isn't really following in "normal practices" ...
Somebody will hopefully come along with better knowledge of the National Electrical Code, but I studied some parts of it when I built my barn (hobby-workshop) a few years ago. I wanted enough power for tools in the barn, and I have only 100 Amp service in the house.

I found a formula/method for calculating what I could add for the barn. This consisted of a system for adding up the loads in the house, and the rest could be allocated to the barn. I'm pretty sure I remember that the loads in the house were based on NOT HAVING EVERYTHING ON AT ONCE. Consequently I was surprised that the "score" for the house was only 40 Amps, and I could legally run a 60 amp circuit to the barn.

If I remember this correctly, then this concept may be helpful.

And yes, indeed, if you should "overcook it", then the breaker will let you know in time, so you can change your habits before any harm is done.

:D
The purpose of separation of church and state is
to keep forever from these shores the ceaseless strife
which has soaked the soils of Europe in blood for centuries.
--James Madison

bm_cricket
Burning Since: 2008

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:50 am

Elliot wrote:And yes, indeed, if you should "overcook it", then the breaker will let you know in time, so you can change your habits before any harm is done.
Thanks for the reassurance! I'm sure it will be fine.

BTW, I'm tempted to replace every 250v outlet in my house with twist-locks. These things are dumb. Image
It was better next year. -Burners

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:03 am

Oooo, now I could inform the World of the proper way to make electrical connections! :roll: :lol:

But that would be an other thread.

(Yeah, I know what you mean.)
--James Madison

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:28 am

bm_cricket wrote:
Elliot wrote:And yes, indeed, if you should "overcook it", then the breaker will let you know in time, so you can change your habits before any harm is done.
Thanks for the reassurance! I'm sure it will be fine.

BTW, I'm tempted to replace every 250v outlet in my house with twist-locks. These things are dumb. Image
If your looking to go to 110.. Use standard 110 double outlet. One hot to the top and one to the bottom.. The common to both.. Remove the bar that connects the top and bottom on the hot side.. You will have to 110 outlets..

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:35 am

unjonharley wrote:If your looking to go to 110.. Use standard 110 double outlet. One hot to the top and one to the bottom.. The common to both.. Remove the bar that connects the top and bottom on the hot side.. You will have to 110 outlets..
The problem is that household plugs fall out, especially when they weigh 4 lbs and have a 10lbs of 6 AWG wire attached to them. I need 220v but unless I use twist-locks they just fall off the wall.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:41 am

bm_cricket wrote:

The problem is that household plugs fall out, especially when they weigh 4 lbs and have a 10lbs of 6 AWG wire attached to them. I need 220v but unless I use twist-locks they just fall off the wall.
be sure you mark the voltage on the outlet.. Some twist plugs are only 110.. you may not be the one using it sometime in the future..

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:44 am

unjonharley wrote:be sure you mark the voltage on the outlet.. Some twist plugs are only 110.. you may not be the one using it sometime in the future..
True, but you just need to use the plug that's designed for what you are running on it and wire it with the correct wires to the correct pins. There is a list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:49 am

bm_cricket wrote:
unjonharley wrote:be sure you mark the voltage on the outlet.. Some twist plugs are only 110.. you may not be the one using it sometime in the future..
True, but you just need to use the plug that's designed for what you are running on it and wire it with the correct wires to the correct pins. There is a list. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NEMA_connector
220 would be red black white.. 110 would be black white green..

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:52 am

unjonharley wrote:220 would be red black white.. 110 would be black white green..
Not quite that simple. This page was REALLY straight forward. You should check it out! :-)
http://www.thecoffeebrewers.com/electricity.html

(It's a little focused on espresso equipment but it applies to any electric system)

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:06 pm

unjonharley wrote:220 would be red black white.. 110 would be black white green..
BTW, I agree with the color codes but unfortunately, you can't always trust them. The only safe way to deal with electricity is with a volt/ohm meter.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:19 pm

bm_cricket wrote:
BTW, I agree with the color codes but unfortunately, you can't always trust them. The only safe way to deal with electricity is with a volt/ohm meter.
Damn, another person with this safety first stuff.

No back to the thread..

Building a new motor pusher for the bike/trike.. Starting with a 8 inch pneumatic dolly wheel. (Not the swivel kind) from HF.. Putting a motor on top of its frame and chain drive.. Attaching electrical where ever possible on the frame to the trike..

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:00 am

building an elevated sleeping platform for my tent. it's a tiny tent barely bigger than my air mattress so it's not a "big" project" but since i build my little playa life inside a 10x10 shade structure, giving myself the extra storage space *under* the platform will really improve quality of life :) i'm also looking forward to not having to get down to ground level to crawl into my tent. i'll add a couple of steps and a ledge out front for shoes.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Royal Turkey
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Royal Turkey » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:43 am

First burn for us, so the planning/building is Burning man to us so far.. but I enjoy camping as a sort of recreational project management. Burning Man provides a set of interesting logistical challenges and build projects that will keep us entertained through the year.

Build projects:
1. editing some detailed plan for a box truck door insert to be built in Reno.
2. building a prototype of FIMGJAM's Unicooler along with a flat prefab version we can ship or fly with us.
3. once it warms up again a test of camp nowhere's tenstegrity shade structure/hammock stand. Might need some better rope.

Perhaps some blinky stuff to avoid being a darkwad with a little style.

Assembling gear, a few purchases, reservations and tickets.

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:08 am

Royal Turkey wrote:...box truck door insert...
Fabulous idea!
--James Madison

bedlamdoll
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: BRC Hardware

Post by bedlamdoll » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:24 am

As it's also my first burn, I'm focusing mostly on getting the basic list of stuff my veteran Burner sweetie has given me taken care of, at least for now. But, given my project collecting problem I've got some other stuff I'm starting.
1) Making up an extra large fuzzy blanket for our tent (we went camping with his normal set up a couple weeks ago and discovered that I am even worse about stealing blankets when it's cool/cold outside (I'm a violent sleeper and like to burrito-I have shoved people more than twice my weight out of bed before)).
2) Starting up on a hair piece/fascinator with glowy bits. I have a resin crow skull and I'm wanting to build sort of an abstract nest/halo around in in EL wire but the exact shaping of stuff is eluding me.
3) Working on some initial experiments in forced patina on some metal-y bits. Ideally I'll be able to put something cool together for little gifts, either pendants or tiny flasks. I'm thinking the man and the year either done in some kind of patina resist so that is the only shiny part, or vice versa putting that on as the only patina part.

gypsy68
Burning Since: 2004

Post by gypsy68 » Wed Oct 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Great idea. A friend did this our first year. I liked how well it worked for her. If I end up going the tent route this year I may end up building a platform. Because it wasn't sitting on the ground it felt like there was less dust in her tent.
lollergirl wrote:building an elevated sleeping platform for my tent. it's a tiny tent barely bigger than my air mattress so it's not a "big" project" but since i build my little playa life inside a 10x10 shade structure, giving myself the extra storage space *under* the platform will really improve quality of life :) i'm also looking forward to not having to get down to ground level to crawl into my tent. i'll add a couple of steps and a ledge out front for shoes.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:24 am

lollergirl wrote:building an elevated sleeping platform for my tent. it's a tiny tent barely bigger than my air mattress so it's not a "big" project" but since i build my little playa life inside a 10x10 shade structure, giving myself the extra storage space *under* the platform will really improve quality of life :) i'm also looking forward to not having to get down to ground level to crawl into my tent. i'll add a couple of steps and a ledge out front for shoes.
Perhaps a box outside for shoes. They can fill with dust overnight. At least turn them upside down!

bm_cricket

Post by bm_cricket » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:06 pm

My espresso machine is coming along. :-)
[media]

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”