Playa Practical

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Playa Practical

Post by VultureChow » Thu Oct 24, 2013 1:13 pm

It's like the sword in the stone. Whoever can open the magical lock is crowned king of Burning Man and is then sacrificed for the good of his people on Saturday night.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:10 pm

Two words: Gordian knot. :twisted:

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:18 pm

Elliot wrote:Two words: Gordian knot. :twisted:
My box cuter aces that knot..

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:14 pm

Capt. I'm sure it's one of those really good, secure ones. Otherwise you surely would have cracked it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sham

Post by Sham » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Back to playa practical......

At home, get some 1-ply toilet paper and use all but 1/2 inch on the roll. This will leave you 2 or 3 good "uses" on that roll. In the center of the roll, put a small plastic bag with some moistened butt wipes. This is great if you find the portos lacking, and you'll have a plastic bag to take your used butt wipe towelettes to dump back at camp. You can make 4 or 5 sets that you can pass out to camp mates who were not so resourceful.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Wed Oct 30, 2013 1:48 pm

I just found out that 1" EMT nests perfectly inside of 1 3/8" chain link fence railing.

Easy to make a mast for a beacon with a set of solar string LED's stuck in the top.

I'm also using them for extending shade structures. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:16 pm

Sham wrote:Back to playa practical......

At home, get some 1-ply toilet paper and use all but 1/2 inch on the roll. This will leave you 2 or 3 good "uses" on that roll. In the center of the roll, put a small plastic bag with some moistened butt wipes. This is great if you find the portos lacking, and you'll have a plastic bag to take your used butt wipe towelettes to dump back at camp. You can make 4 or 5 sets that you can pass out to camp mates who were not so resourceful.
Brilliant! Thank you Sham!
I'll be in my blanket fort until further notice.

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:08 pm

On innovation I came up with a couple years ago is to have a jug clearly marked "JUST PLAIN WATER".
What led to this is I have a habit of putting flavoring powder in whatever jug I happen upon to drink from, then I don't have plain water to brush my teeth with.

On keys: the Poop Mobile is so smart it's not possible to lock the car with the keys inside, it must be locked from the outside. I just learned today that it's even so smart that it will not lock if a door is still ajar! Brilliant engineers!

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:32 pm

PLASTIC SALAD BOWLS.

These things will save you on the playa. They pack easily in a suitcase, as they take up no room. Stuff clothes on both sides when packing.
You can fill with clean water and bathe in these using a wash cloth. You can soak your feet with some vinegar. The uses are endless.
I find these at the evil big box stores at the end of the different seasons and holidays. (colors vary by holiday and season) I pay 50c each and dispose of them every year.

name redacted
Burning Since: 1996

Post by name redacted » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:30 pm

Zip tie you car key to a brake line under the car. No one will know where to look, and it will never fall off unlike those magnetic hide-a-key boxes.
A wise man gets more from his enemies than a fool does from his friends.
-Niki Lauda

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:33 pm

name redacted wrote:Zip tie you car key to a brake line under the car. No one will know where to look, and it will never fall off unlike those magnetic hide-a-key boxes.
To remove key from zip tie if needed, always carry a stout pair of side cutters in pocket.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:59 pm

Elliot wrote:
name redacted wrote:Zip tie you car key to a brake line under the car. No one will know where to look, and it will never fall off unlike those magnetic hide-a-key boxes.
To remove key from zip tie if needed, always carry a stout pair of side cutters in pocket.
Never without 'em, and a file for good luck... 8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 31, 2013 11:36 pm

Yes Patsh, I remember. :D

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 am

robbidobbs wrote:
On keys: the Poop Mobile is so smart it's not possible to lock the car with the keys inside, it must be locked from the outside. I just learned today that it's even so smart that it will not lock if a door is still ajar! Brilliant engineers!
Brilliant. So what do you do when the rapist in the parking garage wants to open your door as you sit there?

Side note: I hate all that automated shit on newer cars. It's all going to malfunction at some point.
The more things there are TO go wrong, the more WILL.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

peyote2004
Burning Since: 2017

Post by peyote2004 » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:35 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:
Brilliant. So what do you do when the rapist in the parking garage wants to open your door as you sit there?

Side note: I hate all that automated shit on newer cars. It's all going to malfunction at some point.
So true ... I've had more trouble with my new cars with all the electronics, then I ever had with my older ones.

My current vehicle has a sensor in the drivers seat. You can't lock the car from the inside unless there is a person in the drivers seat. You also can't lock the car while it's running unless there's someone in the drivers seat.... Not a good thing when you want to warm up your vehicle on a cold winter morning. You either need to sit in the vehicle or leave your running vehicle unlocked :shock:
--
Today is the Tomorrow you worried about Yesterday... now you know why.

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:06 am

peyote2004 wrote:You also can't lock the car while it's running unless there's someone in the drivers seat.... Not a good thing when you want to warm up your vehicle on a cold winter morning. You either need to sit in the vehicle or leave your running vehicle unlocked :shock:
I'm always surprised by people with money to burn. My girlfriend has a Honda Fit and I went a roundabout way to figure it burns about 1/2 gallon/hour at idle. At $3.50/gallon, that's 3 cents a minute.

I had an extension cord run to my car with a space heater on the seat. When I got up, I'd plug in the heater, and the whole car would be defrosted in a half an hour at like 0.2 cents a minute.

... thread drift ...
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:20 am

I wish the auto manufacturers would read this.
My Dodge makes this horribly screeching loud beeping noise "whenever I blink". I get out of the car to open and close the gate -- beep beep beep.... In the evening I leave the lights on so I can see to close the gate -- beep beep beep, unless I leave the engine running burning more fuel.
Sometimes the burglar alarm goes off even though I unlock the door with the usual key. I disconnected to horn the second day I owned the thing.

But my 1998 is nothing compared with the brand new ones we drive on Perimeter patrol. Door locks open and lock by themselves randomly. Lights likewise.
We had an emergency and needed to get up to a bit of speed, and the engine shut down. Turned out the computer noticed the tires were spinning a little (of course, in that loose dirt!) and wanted to save us from ourselves. (Later we learned there is a switch to shut that nonsense off, but criminy....)

Even my brother's 1990 model! I start it, the heat-A/C blower comes on by itself. I shut it off. Next time I start it, the blower comes on by itself. Nuts.

Well, I'm preaching to the choir. We should be writing this to the manufacturers.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:27 am

Just a thought. After my tent filled up with dust in 2012 I vowed never to leave it open again. I'm in and out of the tent 20, 30, a million times a day. In my van there is a fleece curtain to keep out the dust yet leave the side door open. I'm going to sew a fleece blanket on the outside of my tent extending over the sides of the door. I can leave it unzipped and get in and out easily without letting in all the dust. Now, if I can just remember to zip it when I leave camp.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 2:46 pm

I absolutely hate all that automated everything-tied-to-the-computer shit in new cars. It's eventually going to fail, sometimes sooner than later, and everything about maintaining the thing is a bitch and a half.
Not only that, but I want the thing to do what I want, when I want. Not what and when the car decides.

But it's never going back. The car makers have to compete with the others... if Ford's car can park itself, Toyota and GM better counter with something. If one company's cars havent got backup cameras, auto memory power seats, and a holographic full-sensation blow job slave that services the driver every day, they won't sell cars because Brand X's model does all that.

Have you noticed they don't advertise anything about new cars anymore except how much electronic and computer shit they have onboard?

Guys aren't into cars anymore. We are a minority nowadays. Todays buyers want all that shit. Good luck.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:01 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I absolutely hate all that automated everything-tied-to-the-computer shit in new cars. It's eventually going to fail, sometimes sooner than later, and everything about maintaining the thing is a bitch and a half.
Not only that, but I want the thing to do what I want, when I want. Not what and when the car decides.

But it's never going back. The car makers have to compete with the others... if Ford's car can park itself, Toyota and GM better counter with something. If one company's cars havent got backup cameras, auto memory power seats, and a holographic full-sensation blow job slave that services the driver every day, they won't sell cars because Brand X's model does all that.

Have you noticed they don't advertise anything about new cars anymore except how much electronic and computer shit they have onboard?

Guys aren't into cars anymore. We are a minority nowadays. Todays buyers want all that shit. Good luck.
I want my Model A back.. Up draft carb. No fuel pump. No spark plug wires. Set your own spark for best mpg.. Head/tail lights with real bulbs. Water pump you could repair yourself.. Heated cab from the engine. And 2 40 A/C, open 2 windows and drive 40 mph..

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:07 pm

I have at least two friends who have those backup cameras and they give me the creeps. I understand that they're probably a godsend to some, but it seems like they could get dependent on it (then have it fail) or that they could let it account completely for their awareness when backing up, and they could hit something or someone.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

robbidobbs

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:42 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote: Brilliant. So what do you do when the rapist in the parking garage wants to open your door as you sit there?

I lock the door! They all lock just fine w a button on the inside.
Although I like the key innovation, I still don't trust electric windows. What if you had an accident where you had to get out thru a window but the car wasn't on?

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:46 pm

Savannah wrote:I have at least two friends who have those backup cameras and they give me the creeps. I understand that they're probably a godsend to some, but it seems like they could get dependent on it (then have it fail) or that they could let it account completely for their awareness when backing up, and they could hit something or someone.
Exactly!!!!!

I never forgot my high school (Shorecrest, for those of you in Seattle) driver's ed teacher's bet with all of us: "The first accident you have will be when you're backing up"!
Pro drivers generally back into parking spaces. I highly recommend this. Why? Well I'll tell ya...
Mainly it's so you don't have to back out! Here's the deal; while you're already out in the aisle you can see what's going on and who's coming. And no traffic will be coming out of the empty parking space.
If you pull in forward, you have to back out, often blinded by the cars or trucks or vans beside you. And ANYTHING that happens while you were backing up is YOUR liability. The car backing up is always at fault.
Sure pulling in forward is easier. But, then you have to back out, so the easy factor evens out in the big picture.
OK, when you go to Costco you wanna pull in forward so you can load up all your shit... but other than that, you'd be better off always backing in.
Also, every now and then you need to turn as you back out. One day you'll forget that your front end swings to the side when backing up and you'll crunch some sheet metal.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:51 pm

I bought the 'base model' Toyota van last year. I didn't want all that electricity. Gps, cameras, Dvds, Thermometer, etc....And it still annoys me that it has a brain. It locks itself. The headlights go off after a while when I cut the engine. Hey! I was using those lights. Child locks that lock me in. Rear windows that only go down half way. Only one key hole on the entire outside of the car. 'Active' headrests that hit you in the back of the head. (Not so restful.) Digital tuning on the radio that doesn't have fine tuning. 20 different speeds of wipers. The entire interior is plastic so I can't use a magnet anywhere. The dash is so big and useless. The rear window has an overhang that prevents you from washing the top 2 inches with a squeegee. And 50 other crappy features. The Dodge Caravan was a much better car but after 2 vans 3 trannys I gave up.

It's a good van but I do long for the simpler times. I settled on this one because the cargo area has a flat surface and it's very roomy.

BTW Did you know that those giant windows are just for show? The actual windows are very small. Just covered with a big piece of tinted glass.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Elliot

Post by Elliot » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:26 pm

Savannah wrote:I have at least two friends who have those backup cameras and they give me the creeps. I understand that they're probably a godsend to some, but it seems like they could get dependent on it (then have it fail) or that they could let it account completely for their awareness when backing up, and they could hit something or someone.
Inconvenience and bother and annoyance aside, this is the biggie with all the "electronic driver aids".

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:48 pm

Ratty wrote: Digital tuning on the radio that doesn't have fine tuning.
Actually with the digital tuning you're already tuned in correctly, the problem is that the modern radio receivers - particularly on AM - suck. It's not your imagination that the old car AM radios could pull in stations clearly and somewhat reliably.
Ratty wrote: BTW Did you know that those giant windows are just for show? The actual windows are very small. Just covered with a big piece of tinted glass.
That's just about every newer car... yeah I hate that.
I should do a 360-degree cell-phone video-cam sweep inside my 1955 Chevy and post it. You can actually see out in every direction!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:59 pm

Buy some bulk bungee cord.

About 25' in a couple of sizes is pretty cheap.

You can get real good UV quality cord to fix your busted balls and the 3/8" is exelent for replacing the rubbber on the bigger metal hook bungees. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Toe
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Empress

Post by Toe » Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:33 pm

Chalk board.

White board markers get gunked up with dust. Chalk is inherently dust based, and cheap AF.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”