Playa Practical

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
sppryor
Burning Since: 2014

Re: Playa Practical

Post by sppryor » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:59 am

<thread_drift>
Maybe I am the only one, but this has always looked like a cyclops with an open mouth in a surprise fashion :idea:
</thread_drift

phil

Post by phil » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:04 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:I used cheap strands of LED Christmas lights as my personal and bike illumination:

Louise and I used those, too. Video here:
http://civex.smugmug.com/Other/Playa-Vi ... -vNJ5FMH/A

They are fragile, and I'll use your pipecleaner idea next year -- many thanks.

phil

Removing rebar

Post by phil » Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:08 am

I had a friend ask for help removing a bent rebar. He used my visegrips, but no matter how you turned and twisted and pulled, the rebar would not come out. Someone had lent him a long pry bar, but that did nothing for prying a rebar.

I had an inspiration. I clamped the vicegrips on the rebar and pried up with the prybar. Voila! So back at my own camp, lacking a prybar, I just used a rebar to pry with. Clamp the vicegrips on a rebar in the ground, use the loose rebar as the lever to pry out the rebar. Much easier than the twist and turn and pull with vice grips. One lift, and it was out.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Removing rebar

Post by unjonharley » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:02 pm

phil wrote:I had a friend ask for help removing a bent rebar. He used my visegrips, but no matter how you turned and twisted and pulled, the rebar would not come out. Someone had lent him a long pry bar, but that did nothing for prying a rebar.

I had an inspiration. I clamped the vicegrips on the rebar and pried up with the prybar. Voila! So back at my own camp, lacking a prybar, I just used a rebar to pry with. Clamp the vicegrips on a rebar in the ground, use the loose rebar as the lever to pry out the rebar. Much easier than the twist and turn and pull with vice grips. One lift, and it was out.
Grandfather showed me that on our first burn.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Oct 11, 2013 12:47 pm

phil wrote:I had a friend ask for help removing a bent rebar. He used my visegrips, but no matter how you turned and twisted and pulled, the rebar would not come out. Someone had lent him a long pry bar, but that did nothing for prying a rebar.

Thank you for posting that specific 2-step method, Phil! I'm going to try it.

Vise grips--by themselves--have not worked for me on rebar, in the past.

ETA: My wrecking bar is great for (non-rebar) stakes, so fortunately all I need are the grips.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:07 pm

To pull stakes, I use a common farm jack. This is similar to an old-fashioned automobile bumper jack, but much larger. Of course, I have some rather stout anchors for the scaffolding that supports my shade.

Best tool I've seen for serious anchors was an engine hoist -- a "cherry-picker".

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 11, 2013 2:02 pm

Savannah wrote:ETA: My wrecking bar is great for (non-rebar) stakes, so fortunately all I need are the grips.
I keep reading these responses by you describing all these tools, camping gear, construction implements and other cool "handy-man-ish" stuff you bring to the burn... and I find that incredibly cool.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I used a long handled shovel, vice gripes, and a block of wood to remove my rebar from the dirt. Worked pretty good.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:18 pm

BBadger wrote:
Savannah wrote:ETA: My wrecking bar is great for (non-rebar) stakes, so fortunately all I need are the grips.
I keep reading these responses by you describing all these tools, camping gear, construction implements and other cool "handy-man-ish" stuff you bring to the burn... and I find that incredibly cool.
You are so careful with your compliments that I am just not used to this, BBadger. :lol: Thank you.

I've gotta admit, I don't feel handy. I've a strong shade, a tool kit, and practically fetishize that crazy wrecking bar--'cause it's so wicked looking, & I'm likely to need it in the Zombie Apocalypse--but I wasn't raised knowing how to build or fix things, so I actually feel like I'm way behind.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Fri Oct 11, 2013 3:22 pm

I didn't have a problem with just vise grips twist-and-pull without any fancy prybars and wood pieces and jacks or whatnot. But I had less than a dozen pieces of 1/2" rebar 20" into the ground, and my vise grips were huge. If you spin the rebar twice, it should pull right out.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:15 pm

Genius Phil! rebar just needs a place to take the lever! I'm thinking just a big washer, or flat bar with a hole in it... hanging a little diagonal, could grab when the lever is applied. maybe.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Fri Oct 11, 2013 7:31 pm

Savannah wrote:I've gotta admit, I don't feel handy. I've a strong shade, a tool kit, and practically fetishize that crazy wrecking bar--'cause it's so wicked looking, & I'm likely to need it in the Zombie Apocalypse--but I wasn't raised knowing how to build or fix things, so I actually feel like I'm way behind.
:D

It's hard to not feel invincible with a wrecking bar at your side -- especially during the zombie apocalypse.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Token

Post by Token » Fri Oct 11, 2013 9:24 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:Look for a "Space Pen" made by Fisher. These were made for the space program in the Apollo era and can now be found at most office supply stores. They write upside down, in zero G, under water, at -40F, on any surface, are permanent, and laugh at dust. About $15. Refillable too. Highly recommended.

My current Fisher has been to 4 burns and counting. :mrgreen:
In Komunist Russia they give to cosmonaut pencil.

BBadger

Post by BBadger » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:25 am

Token wrote:In Komunist Russia they give to cosmonaut pencil.
I know the above a joke/urban legend, but ... both countries' space agencies used pencils at first. They weren't ideal as they'd break up and release graphite dust and shavings into the air -- both fire hazards. After the Apollo 1 US astronauts were incinerated in their capsule due to a spark igniting a fire in the pure oxygen atmosphere of the capsule, NASA were acutely aware of fire hazards inside the module, so Fisher's pen was a good solution -- at a good price.

Something I wish that happened was that dry erase markers received the same amount of attention. Those damn things dry up so quickly, and I think it's partially because people hold them with the tip above the ink reservoir. If those markers were also orientation agnostic less of those stupid markers would dry up and die.

Oh man did I derail this topic...

Okay here's my practical tip: keep non-disposable bags (e.g. a duffle bag, canvas bag, or even a box) near your tents / living area to just drop stuff into so it doesn't get lost or blow away. This bag is not to be used as a trash bag (hide it or provide a real trash bag to prevent this) but just a place to dump your shit when you don't have time to pack it away. Toilet paper rolls, utensils, water bottles, bowls, lights, small-scale non-food moop, nails, etc. -- just throw it in there and sort it out later. Using a zippered or sealable bags are also helpful to keep out the dust and prevent stuff from spilling out.

Likewise, if you have a bag like that in your common area (assuming a smaller group), put stuff that may tip over or blow away in there whenever you see it. That way whenever someone needs to find their cup, or the toilet paper, or a lighter, they can find it in the bag even if "it was just here on the table!"

These bags are especially useful when you're drunk or otherwise disoriented and might lose something important (or worry that you did!). For example, you make a pit-stop back at camp and have some dud-lights, or some glow stick MOOP you found, or some swag. Who wants that in your pockets or bike basket where it could get lost? Throw that shit in your bag/bin and work it out in the morning. Or say you're heading out for a night on the town and you have your cups and bowls and even a jar of zip-ties sitting on your fold-out table, and you just know that the wind is going to scatter that shit everywhere. Throw all that stuff in the bag and you're good (hang that bag up on one of the posts). It's also reassuring if others are doing the same things with loose items they encounter around the common area, so that you all don't lose things.

Holy shit I sound like Al Gore talking about lock boxes or something. I'm going to bed.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Oct 12, 2013 4:49 am

BBadger wrote:
Holy shit I sound like Al Gore talking about lock boxes or something. I'm going to bed.
Speaking of bed, something I missed for years (and didn't know how badly I missed it!) was a small table beside my bed. Quit laughing. I'm serious!

I use a folding WalWart TV tray to hold my glasses, water, flashlight, watch, and (in deference to Badger), a copy of "An Inconvenient Truth". :shock: Maybe I should spare you the Gore(y) details, but its just darned handy to have all that stuff right next to your head when you need it. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:18 am

We have those hanging net organizer thingys they sell to college students for catching small shit. Each tent in the structure has one near it, hanging from the carport poles. Where we toss stuff left in the chair cupholders, goggles, etc. We also use my empty art bins as catchall packing at the end of the week.

We got a small collapsible greenhouse from Harbor Freight, and use it as a pantry. If all the food is in the bins, they get rummaged through, things get crushed or forgotten. The greenhouse lets us put the food on shelves and we can see at a glance what's there. The bags of chips do stay in the bins, and we switched to clear bins because they're easier to see which one to open. The zippers on ours are beginning to fail, but I can fix that. We put a small sheet of cardboard on the bottom shelf to cut down on dust, and have a small basket to hold little loose bags of dried fruit, tea, and so on. Even in a small camp of 6 people, this is handy.
Greenhouse.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AntiM
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:21 am

Does anyone else bring a pop-up laundry hamper, or even laundry bags for dirty clothes? Or just us?

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:25 am

AntiM wrote:Does anyone else bring a pop-up laundry hamper ?
Yup! We use the folding wire-frame type and put a 55 gal trashbag inside. Keeps it upright and out from under foot.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:14 am

The first shirt I change out of gets turn into a laundry bag.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:50 am

Get a coat hanger and an old piece of PVC.

Cut the hanger and make a few bends.

Now you have "This Nifty Thing"!!! 8)

Hang it where it's handy!!!

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Oct 12, 2013 6:53 am

GreyCoyote wrote:
Yup! We use the folding wire-frame type and put a 55 gal trashbag inside. Keeps it upright and out from under foot.
yep. mine is a super cheapo dollar store, but it keeps my trash bag from blowing around, trash goes in the bag, cans go in the hamper outside the bag, and they dry out some before I pack them out.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:12 pm

AntiM wrote:Does anyone else bring a pop-up laundry hamper, or even laundry bags for dirty clothes? Or just us?
*facepalm*
I've been trying to figure out a reasonable way to deal with my laundry for years, and this never occurred to me. I am officially an idiot.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Eric wrote:
AntiM wrote:Does anyone else bring a pop-up laundry hamper, or even laundry bags for dirty clothes? Or just us?
*facepalm*
I've been trying to figure out a reasonable way to deal with my laundry for years, and this never occurred to me. I am officially an idiot.

i just burn mine.

im practical that way.
Frida Be You & Me

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Oct 12, 2013 1:25 pm

Okay here's my practical tip: keep non-disposable bags (e.g. a duffle bag, canvas bag, or even a box) near your tents / living area to just drop stuff into so it doesn't get lost or blow away... These bags are especially useful when you're drunk or otherwise disoriented and might lose something important...
I call this bag, my tent.

It's what i call my laundry bag also.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:06 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
I bring enough kitchen-size trash bags that I start a laundry bag for inside of my tent, and just shove it out of sight.

My tent organization strategy is as follows:

* Camping cot - I keep a number of things under it, generally in the same spots so I can find them.
* Wooden tv tray, for bedside table
* Mesh Wastebasket (fits under TV tray; extra special). Mesh allows wipes (etc) to dry out extra fast.

* New this year: a Plastic 3-drawer set near the head of my cot ($14). Toiletries, towels, etc. I filled it at home, and used a little strip of packing tape per drawer to close it for travel. It was great to have a 2nd bedside surface for stuff. It was also really nice to keep "refill" type items in there . . . stuff that I keep in my playa backpack, and need to find quickly when I'm going out.

* I decided this year to keep a simple Dixie paper bowl on the TV tray to hold swag, jewelry etc. This stuff always gets scattered otherwise. It was very helpful, because I don't always wanna put swag or earrings or away.

FIGJAM, I love your paper towel holder! I think the best parts are that it's cheap, and everyone has room for a hanger in their luggage.

Lonesomebri wrote:
Okay here's my practical tip: keep non-disposable bags (e.g. a duffle bag, canvas bag, or even a box) near your tents / living area to just drop stuff into so it doesn't get lost or blow away... These bags are especially useful when you're drunk or otherwise disoriented and might lose something important...
I call this bag, my tent.
hahahaha!

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sat Oct 12, 2013 3:45 pm

I just bring a pillow case for laundry (no pillow).

My pillow gets more comfy each day.

I suppose it helps to have absolutely zero sense of smell due to my job and being a smoker for 45 years.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Oct 12, 2013 5:49 pm

Eric wrote:
*facepalm*
Did they give you a card?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Zhust
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Camp CampCampCamp

Post by Zhust » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:30 am

Two more:

Use a towel for a pillow. Occasionally it's nice to have a towel to dry off, but it works double-duty as a pillow.

Never bring clear/white zip-ties. If you feel you must bring zip-ties, get the neon-colored ones. They're easy to find if you drop them.
May your deeds return to you tenfold,
---Zhust, Curiosityist

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:55 am

Last summer I bought a bunch of 'swim noodles' at the dollar store. I slit them lengthwise and slipped em over my ropes. I stuck em on rebar and everything thing else that I normally bang my head on.

The plastic chest of drawers worked out well in my van. I could pull open a drawer for lights, toiletries, misc. floating junk.

I've already picked up 3 small plastic bins. (For the areas that a pile of crap accumulates.) One for the most often used kitchen stuff, one for the constantly used toiletries and one for next to my bed. Keep your shit sheep shaped.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
You should start doing drugs, it doesn't mess you up as much. CaptG

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:39 am

For those that don't camp "light":

I like to bring a lot of water. My system is to get cheap food-grade used plastic 30 gallon barrels. Treat them for a few weeks with hot water and vinegar, bleach baths, etc. to make sure they don't make your water smell like Dr. Pepper (learned that the hard way).
Bring one extra empty barrel. That is your waste water can. As the first full fresh water container gets empty (and the waste can is full) it becomes your next waste water jug. You can keep going with as many as you wanna bring.

No goddamm evap pond, no mess, no hassle, foolproof and 100% effective, limited only by how much you can haul.

One extra tip: I use no larger than 30 gallon cans because 55s full of water get way to heavy to deal with, but even a full 30 weighs over 200 pounds, so have it located where you won't have to lift it to pack it up! You can tip it a little and roll it, or dolly it though.

Another great way to pack a lot of water is to salvage the fresh water tanks from old campers. They are lightweight and rectangular, and pack efficiently with other stuff.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”