Playa Practical

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Re: Playa Practical

Post by unjonharley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:30 pm

Anyone in my neck of the woods want a RV tank?.. I have one in my yard that needs a new home...Bout the size of a twin bed box springs 40x72

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:39 pm

Me, except driving my truck there to get it would make it quite expensive!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Me, except driving my truck there to get it would make it quite expensive!
WE'll see what happens.. If no one close speaks up.. We will find some one going your way in the spring..

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Oct 13, 2013 3:24 pm

Spray bottles for dish washing was this year's "Holy Shit" innovation in our camp. It was my virgin burn, but some veteran burners in my camp were blown away by the solution when they saw it. A spritz or two of water, a quick wipe, a spritz or two of soapy water, a thorough wipe, two spritzes of potable water, one final wipe, done. Cuts down on the resources used per plate and you get to skip the plastic tubs of unholy, stagnant liquid-compost-that-used-to-be-water I saw other camps have in their kitchen areas *shudder*.

Anyone have any recommendations for carrying water other than a backpack? My favorite outfit doesn't work very well with a backpack, it turns out, which meant that after the first night I was carrying my water every night. Not fun. I'm looking for some way to wear 1.5-2L of water on my hip next year, but so far my search is coming up dry.

I've found a couple of solutions for 1L containers, but I'm a thirsty guy an it's warm out there.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:33 pm

Disinfecting kitchen wipes and just one spray bottle of plain water are the pro's dishwashing solution.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:36 pm

I prefer stainless steel water bottles. I can hang them on my chair. Eric uses a pod belt. Despite the ever-busy camelback lobby, it's not everyone's preference.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:04 pm

Like Fishy said, I use stainless water containers as well (I use 16oz ones for my water, I carry an 8oz one as my drinking cup). I wear one bottle on each side, so they counter-balance each-other when I walk. Mine are attached to my pod belt, but you could attach them to anything that has a ring riveted on and can take the weight.

One thing I make sure to do - don't use the small "sport nozzle" on the bottle, take the cap off to drink. Most of the sport nozzles are lousy, and you don't really get enough water.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:18 pm

That's less than 1L of water between the bottles, though. That would last me 3-4 hours and I don't want to be the guy that drags people back to camp because I'm low on water. Oh well, the search continues. I've got 314 days to sort it out.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:20 pm

That's less than 1L of water between the bottles, though. Like I said, I'm the thirsty type. That would last me ~4 hours and I don't want to be the guy that drags my friends back to camp because I'm low on water. Oh well, the search continues. I've got 314 days to sort it out.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:46 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Oct 13, 2013 9:05 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Spray bottles for dish washing was this year's "Holy Shit" innovation in our camp. It was my virgin burn, but some veteran burners in my camp were blown away by the solution when they saw it. A spritz or two of water, a quick wipe, a spritz or two of soapy water, a thorough wipe, two spritzes of potable water, one final wipe, done. Cuts down on the resources used per plate and you get to skip the plastic tubs of unholy, stagnant liquid-compost-that-used-to-be-water I saw other camps have in their kitchen areas *shudder*.
Yeah, we grabbed some of those our second burn and they kicked ass. So much better than some gross wet towel, or fiddling around with a 2-gallon jug spout. We had some pump and spray types and those worked great. I think one of those garden sprayer types would be nice for just filling up at once though.
Anyone have any recommendations for carrying water other than a backpack? My favorite outfit doesn't work very well with a backpack, it turns out, which meant that after the first night I was carrying my water every night. Not fun. I'm looking for some way to wear 1.5-2L of water on my hip next year, but so far my search is coming up dry.
I was the kind who carried a Camelbak all the time because I feared that I'd die of dehydration out there and I'm not even the kind who drinks much water (more at the burn, but not tons in general). I'm actually a big fan of backpacks, but over time I found it would become a big pain and I wished I just had bottles or something else. After some figuring, I believe the solution for myself (which I still need to implement) is to add a basket to my bike, and leave whatever water I want to drink in there. I'm always on a bike anyway, and if I'm not, it's locked up nearby. The basket means that I can ride around without this backpack on and still have ample supplies of drink, food, and whatever else without carrying it on my back.

So add a basket to your bike and bring whatever you need.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Oct 13, 2013 10:42 pm

FossaFerox wrote:That's less than 1L of water between the bottles, though. Like I said, I'm the thirsty type. That would last me ~4 hours and I don't want to be the guy that drags my friends back to camp because I'm low on water. Oh well, the search continues. I've got 314 days to sort it out.
You can get bigger bottles. Klean Kanteen sells 42 ouncers.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Oct 13, 2013 11:02 pm

You can put a camelbak bladder in just about anything. The reason it's in a backpack is to distribute the weight. You can do the same thing around your hips. (If you have hips.) The 2 obstacles to overcome are, sway and suckability. You can use an old stuffed animal. It will need to be attached securely so all that liquid isn't sloshing around and bouncing off of your hips. You also need to make one end lower than the other so the internal straw works.

I can see it. Two bushy animals around your waist. Long and slim like monkeys or big snakes. Each one has a bladder. Or you can put it in a big fanny pack. I know. Those long skinny ladies purses. They come with hardware on each end. Use carabiners and a belt with big holes in it. Oh yeah...........so easy.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:07 am

Yeah, I may end up salvaging some ballistic nylon and teaching myself to sew properly to rig up what I'm looking for. Then it's just a matter of finding a bladder that's the right size/shape. I'm trying to tackle this and my lighting early since they were the biggest failures in my virgin burn. Both were tied to my backpack, and I hated the backpack about an hour into my first night.

I foresee similar problems with a bota or normal canteen as I can't stand having anything that will sway/swing/shift when I'm running/jumping/climbing/dancing/being silly. Bike based solutions are also not an option as I go on foot most nights. Two nights I wound up wandering as far as the trash fence on the far side of the city.

I think someone from my camp has a pod belt. I might pick up a couple of 1 quart canteens and see how that feels with one on each hip. If they slap around too much I imagine I can gift out a pair of canteens between now and the burn without too much difficulty.

I think the best non-DIY solution I've found for my quirky needs is a "gear holster" like my camp-mate had, but those only hold 1L containers and wearing two of them is a little ridiculous since you end up wearing separate, crisscrossing belts.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Mon Oct 14, 2013 5:48 am

So here is a REAL challenge: integrate a three liter bladder, utility belt, and a FIGJAM cooler (with 8 hour battery) onto your back. :)

It may not be pretty, but I'm on it. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Sham

Post by Sham » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:17 pm

If you rent a car to head to the playa, often times there are two sets of keys on the CRIMPED wire ring from the rental company. I picked up some threaded wire rings that look identical. I cut the rental one and separate the keys for the week, in case one should get lost or misplaced. When the week is over, I put all the keys on the threaded ring and return my nice clean rental car.
This also works if you just want to make a copy of the key at a locksmith. Most won't make a copy of a rental car key, so getting that tag off makes it easier.

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:21 pm

Sham wrote:If you rent a car to head to the playa, often times there are two sets of keys on the CRIMPED wire ring from the rental company. I picked up some threaded wire rings that look identical. I cut the rental one and separate the keys for the week, in case one should get lost or misplaced. When the week is over, I put all the keys on the threaded ring and return my nice clean rental car.
This also works if you just want to make a copy of the key at a locksmith. Most won't make a copy of a rental car key, so getting that tag off makes it easier.
Greatest tip ever. Thank you.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:30 pm

I second Sham's notion. In fact, I do that year 'round with both my own motor vehicles -- two keyrings connected with a spring clip. The small ring goes in the car, the other goes right back in my pocket before I step into the car. I've saved myself several lock-outs over a few decades.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:41 pm

I used to do that... I always carried both sets of keys, one in each pocket whenever not in the ignition.
It's a story how I managed to do this, but... I abandoned that practice after locking myself in the trunk, with all the keys in my pockets in there too...

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:03 pm

Screen wipes, STAT!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:23 pm

I carry my keys on a lanyard around my neck.. Get in the van set down, seat belt, unsnap the key, foot on break & clutch, start engine and release hand brake. Same backwards every time.. Tuck the keys inside my shirt when working..

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:30 pm

Hide a key in my purse and on my car. My hubbie hide a key in his jym bag and somewhere hidden on his old car. (Nobody knowsvwhere).
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 17, 2013 4:56 pm

One of the best things I did this year was to make several - at least four - duplicates of every key I had, and stash them all in different places. It saved my ass a few times!

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:17 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Yeah, I may end up salvaging some ballistic nylon and teaching myself to sew properly to rig up what I'm looking for. Then it's just a matter of finding a bladder that's the right size/shape. I'm trying to tackle this and my lighting early since they were the biggest failures in my virgin burn. Both were tied to my backpack, and I hated the backpack about an hour into my first night.

I foresee similar problems with a bota or normal canteen as I can't stand having anything that will sway/swing/shift when I'm running/jumping/climbing/dancing/being silly. Bike based solutions are also not an option as I go on foot most nights. Two nights I wound up wandering as far as the trash fence on the far side of the city.

I think someone from my camp has a pod belt. I might pick up a couple of 1 quart canteens and see how that feels with one on each hip. If they slap around too much I imagine I can gift out a pair of canteens between now and the burn without too much difficulty.

I think the best non-DIY solution I've found for my quirky needs is a "gear holster" like my camp-mate had, but those only hold 1L containers and wearing two of them is a little ridiculous since you end up wearing separate, crisscrossing belts.
I picked up a pod belt, and I love it. I only wish I had it years ago.

The canteen is not too bad, but two might be a bit much.
Praise the Lowered

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:19 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:One of the best things I did this year was to make several - at least four - duplicates of every key I had, and stash them all in different places. It saved my ass a few times!
Little uncomfortable having keys stashed there :?: :|

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:22 pm

Nah, after running into you at Eliot's a time or two, anything was better :)

Weebdog
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Camp Burnout

Post by Weebdog » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:53 pm

I give a campmate a spare set of my keys, and they give me a set. That way if you lock yourself out or lose a key there is a set available in camp.
Run Silent - Run Deep

FossaFerox

Post by FossaFerox » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:19 pm

We got a key lock box like the ones real estate agents use which opens with a combination. We put a spare of everyone in the camp's keys inside and locked the box to our truck.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:07 pm

I found a good use for the holes I cut out for my Figjam Bucket Cooler. I used them on giant "12 nails to stake down my tent. They worked perfectly.

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:54 pm

They also work great to ancore your ground cover. 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”