One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by theCryptofishist » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:07 pm

Better be careful. Someone might steal your ideas.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:39 pm

Picked up a pair of gas welder sleeves and side shields for my eye glasses..

Then goodwill hunting, bagged a windup clock.. I can gut it out for the brass gears..

Last Monday ordered a newsboy cap.. The clock gears will go on the cap

Monkeystyle
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:39 pm

Did a couple thrift store runs, and as of tonight now have 17 meters of el wire on the way with 12v battery packs and splitters. Next week I'm going to fit it into a fur coat... Real fur.. But found for $20 @ an estate sale.

jola

Post by jola » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:54 pm

I've been doing some Burning Man stuff but then got distracted with making outfits for St. Patrick's Day celebrations. (any excuse to wear fun & fabulous things!). I got this coat last week for $8 at a thrift store. Adding lights for sure, possibly some fun cuffs, collar and a hood. We'll see what happens. I've been finding awesome things at yard sales lately. A huge white furry blanket (to use as fabric for projects), sewing notions and material, camp chairs, a cape, caution tape... so many things! :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NZRaven

Post by NZRaven » Fri Mar 21, 2014 3:06 pm

How exciting...ordered some el-wire but I don't think it's going to be enough after reading this post...time to order some more, RV booked, found an amazing army jacket at a thrift store for hubby for $10 and we plan to cut it up into an awesome jacket with tails...been scouring the second hand stores here, got a few scarves, and bags to put on belts...house meeting tonight to run through a few things, this will definitely be the night we order more el-wire! :D

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Fri Mar 21, 2014 5:20 pm

NZRaven wrote:How exciting...ordered some el-wire but I don't think it's going to be enough after reading this post...time to order some more, RV booked, found an amazing army jacket at a thrift store for hubby for $10 and we plan to cut it up into an awesome jacket with tails...been scouring the second hand stores here, got a few scarves, and bags to put on belts...house meeting tonight to run through a few things, this will definitely be the night we order more el-wire! :D
Just make sure that you order a stronger driver for the el wire if you are using a lot of it. Most kits come with a driver for 5m powered. I bought a driver for my fur coat that can run 15 meters of wire. So I have a little extra power then I need. The 12v AS battery driver ran about ten bucks on Ebay. And think if it's for a costume think about getting a 1-2 meter extension so your battery pack can be kept in a pocket or somewhere easier to access. They usually run around three dollars.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:32 pm

Vintage cabby cap arrived in the mail.. Ordered it Monday, WTF

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Mar 22, 2014 12:36 pm

TT120 wrote:Got the layout for the camp done today. Whew! That was a lot of work.....Time for a beer.

hahahahah! If only! It took us an hour to fill out our form and then the damn thing crashed so we had to do it AGAIN!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:27 pm

Whew... just got back from the SF Opera costume sale. Every couple years, they open up the warehouse and sell off great pieces of costumery that they no longer need. I'd never been, but heard it was a thing, and my gf was really keen to go. Bonus points for it just being 3 blocks from home. Our plan was to get up this morning, then head over and check it out. I woke up to see a post from a friend on FB who said they were in line already and #24, and thought awesome - we'll have the pick of the litter! Then I realized that her post was from 6 hours before, she'd been out there all night. D'oh!

We hightailed it over, got our place in line, and spent a wonderful relaxing morning chatting with our fellow costume sale participants in the queue. Lots of burners and costume designers and all-round fun people. We wound up getting in pretty early, second round through the door, and we both found some really great pieces that we'll be able to use/turn into stuff for on and off the playa... huzzah!

And fez-a-mo-hat!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:47 pm

Ooooo some good stuff triolobyte! I saw that was happening and was very tempted but wow, that line sounds pretty serious.

Today I had a good, long conversation about camp logistics with one of my core campmates (you know who you are...and thanks) and made a reservation for a pre-early entry hotel stay where they'll be so we can caravan in together.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:30 pm

cool hat!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Cleared schedule for Berkeley sale tomorrow.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:51 pm

Had thin line suspenders.. Half made a idiot string for my safety sleeves.. (sleeves that go from the bicep to the wrist) The other side will be a cap to collar clip..So Mr. wind don't grab my cap and run to the trash fence with it..

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:07 pm

Bits and pieces coming together;
Water jug, shower, bike lock cable, electrolites, goggles,
jugs to freeze, 5 day cooler with reflectix liner,
(dry ice and jugs cooler - no wet mess please)
sunscreen, whistles, storage tub,
blinky light from egg toy in process of being repurposed.
Collapse first and avoid the rush

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Sat Mar 22, 2014 6:49 pm

My grandson went off to see the world.. He left the same kind of goggles in the the bag..

Monkeystyle

Post by Monkeystyle » Sat Mar 22, 2014 7:56 pm

Great finds trilobyte, makes me wish it wasn't a 33 hour drive to SF.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:59 pm

trilobyte wrote:We wound up getting in pretty early, second round through the door, and we both found some really great pieces that we'll be able to use/turn into stuff for on and off the playa... huzzah!
Lucky bastard. I got there at 9:30am, and didn't get in until 12:30 - 2 hours after the doors opened (I was #430something, so I think I was in the 7 or 8th group). The line was great, I was surrounded by Burners I'd never met, and we all just chatted & laughed for 3 hours, and randomly ran into each-other inside with excited "what you find?" questions. Got some great stuff, not as flash as Trilo's coat (well, I have a vest that's pretty awesome that will be on the playa this year), but only one of my new cool hats will make it out this year. I'm not destroying 'em until I've gotten some use out of them!

I'm am really praying that's it's cold on the playa at night this year though, because I picked up a gorgeous navy-blue knee-length coat, but it weighs easily 10 pounds and it's not going to be comfortable if it's warm.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:31 am

@Eric - Same here (awesome line). We had a group of burners (including the builders of the Mayan Tricycle) on one side of us, and a group of costume designers on the other. It had a festival or concert queue vibe to it, since we all were excited and buzzing with energy and shared a common interest. The girls ahead of us had a small rolling cooler and had champagne, others who'd arrived earlier had even brought camp chairs. The line moves at a scheduled pace (200 ppl every half hour) and the tickets they issue are numbered, so it made things easier for people who'd take things back to their car. Next time (I'm told it happens every couple years) we'll plan better.

I hear you about wanting for cold nights - I've got a couple things in my playa wardrobe now that are on the heavier side. They'd have been perfect in my first few burns, but are too warm for 2011-2013.

@EmilyD - brave the line! They're running it today too, and it's a lot of fun (see my comments to Eric above). The time ends up flying by, there are a lot of great treasures in there.

While in the queue I heard from people who'd come from San Jose, LA, and even Seattle before, and were all excited to have been able to make the trip again. For anyone else out there not in range, it may be worth looking up your local (or nearest local) opera and theater troupes, they likely face the same challenges the SF Opera faces. Every production requires dozens and dozens of unique costumes and pieces, and after enough productions their warehouse is bursting at the seams.

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:59 pm

I sewed a large cargo pocket on my kilt today. First time doing a cargo pocket. Surprisingly easy. Also used my button holer foot for the first time in the history of ever! It turned my sewing machine into a button hole making robot. Too cool.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:03 pm

chuckularone wrote:I sewed a large cargo pocket on my kilt today. First time doing a cargo pocket. Surprisingly easy. Also used my button holer foot for the first time in the history of ever! It turned my sewing machine into a button hole making robot. Too cool.
Hey, chuckularone, ever seen button hole scissors?
button hole scissors 001.jpg
They're great!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

chuckularone
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sun Mar 23, 2014 5:32 pm

No, I never have. I used a utility knife with a brand new razor in it. Not as exact as button-hole scissors, but got the job done!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

sadie
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Looks like everyone is gathering up some great gear!
I was gifted these fabulous shoes today!
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:41 pm

Awesome shoes, Sadie!!! very burny!
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Mar 24, 2014 8:52 am

Yard sailing.. My own yard.. got side curtains for the sedan chair.. Two table cloth.. They cut the sun about 25%.. Best netting I could buy..

Dobonian
Camp Name: HOVerlandia

Catching Up

Post by Dobonian » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:32 pm

Obviously, methodically reading the eplaya from top to bottom, left to right is going to take me forever. I just found this thread, and now I feel compelled to catch up. The wife and I made up our minds in December or so that this year we're going to Burning Man. Since then I've:

read tons of posts here
decided that geodesic domes make cool shade structures
built a model 2V dome out of soda straws (see below)
read tons of posts here
determined that shipping the parts of a full-size 2V dome to ourselves in Reno would be prohibitively expensive
pouted for a while about not getting to build a dome in the desert
read tons of posts here
worked out an alternate plan for a modified tarp bunker that we can afford to ship to ourselves
bought some EL wire and a driver and practiced soldering it all together (fun! never played with this stuff before!)
bought tickets (yay! we're definitely going!)
read tons of posts here
designed a costume
sewn a costume (mostly--still have to finish off the neckline, make the hat, decorate it with EL wire)

There! Now I'm caught up. Thank you for your patience.

Next up: helping the wife with her costume.

Still not addressed: a million things. I think food is next on my list.

If any other newbies are out there who'd like me to share what I've learned about EL wire, or EMT conduit, or billboard vinyl, or flat-felled seams, let me know. I'm not an old hand, but I'm happy to share what little knowledge I've acquired.

[Hmmm. Obviously still getting the hang of this. Meant to put this in the "One Item for Burning Man a Day" thread, but missed, somehow. Sigh.]
The Way is not the way, but you can park there and walk the rest of the way.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:20 pm

Welcome Dobonian. Seems like you've really gotten into the swing of things.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Re: Catching Up

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:44 pm

Dobonian wrote:pouted for a while about not getting to ...
Funny how sometimes you just have to do that.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:53 pm

"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

sadie
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:28 pm

I love it!!!

What is it??!!
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Its an older shoppers mobility cart.. Most were 12 volt and move real slow

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”