One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
jewelzontheplaya
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by jewelzontheplaya » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:01 pm

Well I put up my tent to measure it and make sure all the tent stakes were there. I also put it up to measure it because I got a new 10x10 enclosed EZUP to put my tent inside! Last year was my first burn and boy was I lucky it didn't rain, that would have been insane! I don't really want it to rain this year but if it does, I feel like a I'm a little better prepared! I also checked my "spare" tent and all is well with that too! I'm so excited!
Live the life you Love, Love the life you live ~ Robert Nesta Marley

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:41 am

Congrats on the wee bit of shade, jewelz!

Sham, good luck with that! As Unjon and others have mentioned, don't forget about packing it back out again. Rolling it up might work, but only if you don't go too nuts with the vacuum to begin with. Worst case scenario, if it won't all fit back in for the return trip you can ship stuff back (via ground frieght so it won't get too expensive).

I got some work done on a project, and I picked up a posh fez. I'd been thinking about getting it for years and years, but things didn't line up til now.

While I was off at the workshop, our computers were slaving away on a massive render. 4K resolution image with all the various settings tuned for maximum quality. I didn't dare try running something like that before (it would have taken several days), but with the new machine in the mix our stable of machines was able to knock it out in 15 hours 20 minutes. Thankfully I don't normally render stuff in 'ludicrous' mode, at normal HDTV/movie quality that shot would take about 12 minutes.

gustavh
Burning Since: 2011

Post by gustavh » Thu Jun 26, 2014 9:49 am

I had my first BM stress-related nightmare of the year. This time I was pregnant and due to have the baby the week before BM started. Still, my plan was to have the baby and somehow make it to the event anyway...?

...what would Freud say?

Interestingly enough, these BM stress dreams have pretty much replaced the "oh shit I forgot I registered for a class and now I must take the final or fail the class" dreams I used to have. They're much more interesting anyway!

bluemiragemi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:10 pm

Kept panic-ing. Decided to just say fuck it and place my final order of crap online through Amazon, instead of searching the local stores. Got my shade structure (EZ UP), ear plugs, respirator dohickies, goggles, LEDs for the body, tent and bike, and an air pump for my air mattress. Whew. Next year, costs will be like...negligible :)
~ Em

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:17 pm

Just keep telling yourself that!!! :twisted:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Thu Jun 26, 2014 2:43 pm

bluemiragemi wrote:Kept panic-ing. Decided to just say fuck it and place my final order of crap online through Amazon, instead of searching the local stores. Got my shade structure (EZ UP), ear plugs, respirator dohickies, goggles, LEDs for the body, tent and bike, and an air pump for my air mattress. Whew. Next year, costs will be like...negligible :)
It's quite smart sometimes to save yourself the time and gas and just buy everything for yourself in one fell swoop. :lol:

Careful with that EZ-Up; you're going to have to tie it down like crazy. Here some threads about their characteristics.

EZ-Up Tents on the Playa
viewtopic.php?t=35469

EZ Up Canopies
viewtopic.php?t=56035

I camp in an EZ Up.
viewtopic.php?t=29539
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:55 pm

Probably the biggest item in my preparation list just happened. I purchased both a ticket and a vehicle pass through the STEP program!!!!

So much to do now. So little time.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Hope-a-Lope
Camp Name: Decadent Oasis

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:28 pm

Had my first Burning man dream since September. I was back at BM, but it was in a forest and I was staying in a cabin. And pissed that there wasn't any dust.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Thu Jun 26, 2014 6:38 pm

Congrats BeeWeeDee!

YaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaY
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Train Wreck
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Boobie's Water Pub

Post by Train Wreck » Thu Jun 26, 2014 8:33 pm

Patched up the yurt and added metal tape to the seams so they'll last the requisite two weeks this year.
Made some changes to the figjam swamp cooler so the pump stays put in the bottom of the reservoir.

I think this year is going to be the earliest and most prepared I've ever been. Even the art project I'm working with(MerKHANa) is way ahead of schedule. Dustvanasary here I come!

BeeWeeDee

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:35 am

bluemiragemi wrote: Whew. Next year, costs will be like...negligible :)
yeah right.

1st year going - Honda Insight, Monkey Hut, Small Bivy, Dried foods and water.
2nd year going - Truck, Teepee, Two Monkey Huts, Tent, Dry Ice chest, Ice Chest, Stove, Oven, Chocolate chip cookies, Egg Bakes, Prepped Dinners for Meet& Greets etc.etc.

Now - The list grows with art projects, people, their gear... the madness must stop.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:37 am

Maintain the madness!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

bluemiragemi
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Fri Jun 27, 2014 7:52 am

Hahaha. Good point. I've heard the idea of "improving upon the camp" is what brings a lot of folks back!

Savannah, thank you! I'll be sure to read those. My campmates, the Pretty Pickle Camp, use the EZUps over their tents so they have experience in actually securing them. Grateful for that.

I shall keep telling myself that...cheaper next year...yep ;)

Mmm cookies.
~ Em

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:14 am

So many more items to deal with than one a day between now and burn departure. Anyone else feel a little overwhelmed? This is my fourth burn prep, and arguably the least ambitious set of projects for me, but still I am walking a thin line between enjoying the projects and being stressed out.

Having said that I finally figured out how I'm going to put together my lithium ion battery pack in the form of a batman utility belt. Of course I haven't finished any of the projects that will need that kind of wearable power though!

Oh hey, also, I made some steel feet for my 4/9 3v dome so it doesn't tear the shit out of the "floor" tarp:

Beware teh snarkasm

Joeln
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by Joeln » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:28 am

Hit a nice thrift store and got some great clothing options - mix n match style!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:31 am

+1 to what BeeWeeDee said (and congrats on the ticket, too).

After your first year, you'll either be done (bucket lister, tourist, didn't enjoy the experience) or you'll have fallen down the rabbit hole. You'll replace the stuff that didn't work well (or at all) with better solutions. You'll realize that, as a burner, these ridiculous things are long-term investments (because you'll re-use them from one year to the next) and justify the purchase of more gear. You'll build and bring more art, maybe even big art, and your playawear wardrobe will expand.

It's probably worth pointing out that many of us who are posting in this one-a-day thread... have been going for years. It's madness all right, but a wonderful kind of madness.

@bluemiragemi - sorry to hear about the panic, but congrats on being able to place an order to cover your most urgent things.

@melodiousdirge - great job on the dome feet! I'd had a few years where things were overwhelming, and upon realizing that wasn't an ideal experience I changed my approach. We tend to start earlier, but more importantly we have a couple times throughout the year where we give ourselves a reality check and we pull projects. For example, going into this year there were probably 4 clothing projects that I wanted to make happen for this year (on top of all the other stuff I was doing). As other projects came into focus and I got a better idea of time commitments, I tabled two of them. I still may table a third, we'll probably decide that over the 4th of July weekend. If I didn't do that, I'd be stressing about everything, and in an effort to get as much done as possible I'd end up doing a half-ass job on a few of those projects. By being more aggressive at picking my playa project battles I find the whole experience to be a lot better. Good luck finding the balance that works for you.

On to my own thing. We got a new staplegun yesterday. Our old one died horribly last year (it really pissed me off, so I chopped it up with an angle grinder). The new one's fancy and posh (with an on-board compressor), we use it for projects on and off the playa so my gf was determined to go deluxe.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:56 am

trilobyte wrote:I'd had a few years where things were overwhelming, and upon realizing that wasn't an ideal experience I changed my approach. We tend to start earlier, but more importantly we have a couple times throughout the year where we give ourselves a reality check and we pull projects. For example, going into this year there were probably 4 clothing projects that I wanted to make happen for this year (on top of all the other stuff I was doing). As other projects came into focus and I got a better idea of time commitments, I tabled two of them. I still may table a third, we'll probably decide that over the 4th of July weekend. If I didn't do that, I'd be stressing about everything, and in an effort to get as much done as possible I'd end up doing a half-ass job on a few of those projects. By being more aggressive at picking my playa project battles I find the whole experience to be a lot better. Good luck finding the balance that works for you.
All good advice; thanks for that. I wish I could turn off the inspiration mechanism in about February, so I could get the projects done that are already on the books. Unfortunately sometimes I have incredibly exciting ideas late in the game, and self control isn't always easy! If only I had an army of minions who could read my thoughts and bring my ideas to life - the ones I don't have time to build myself, anyway.

One thing I've found helpful (though not easy) is to try to prioritize projects by how much they will actually enhance my experience (and others' experience) out on playa. The dome feet were to make setting up and tearing down easier (two of my least favorite parts). The evapotron thing I was going to build would have served a function, but the effort to benefit ratio was pretty low, considering I usually only haul out about 5 gallons of grey water - I only wanted to build it because it was cool, and now I'm glad I didn't bother.
Beware teh snarkasm

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:26 pm

Thanks to whom ever it was for mentioning the solar light strings that Harbor Freight had on sale.

While they were still on sale, I went by my local Harbor Freight store today and purchased ten of the solar LED light strings for my guy wires and edging around my shade cover.

Harbor Freight is not normally known for selling grade-A products, so I expected that at least one of the ten light strings to be DOA out of the box. I checked every one and to my surprise, all the batteries were charged and every light string worked on constant, blinking, and off modes.

So that I will only have to only run my little generator to charge the battery on my trike and not for a dining and lounging light, I also purchased three of Harbor Freights solar powered 'shed' lights; Two lights for the outside sitting area and one light for inside of my tent.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:29 pm

We have had amazing good luck with HF solar lights. The solar door number panels make cool little "license plates" for the bike.

kittyrodriguez
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:35 pm

I am so much more organized this year! We have actually packed everything we need except for clothes and food! Oh, and the new flat-top shade connectors that I ordered. My checklist is complete!!! Woohoo! :D

Also signed up for our shifts and got on the camp list. We almost didn't make it. Our camp filled up in 30 minutes!

Everything from here on out is fun stuff!

Fun stuff I am working on now-

1. Fiber Optic tutu- I haven't worked with fiber optics before, but I am having fun experimenting.

2. Hoop skirt for my 90s goth day.

3. Etched glass "man ash/playa dust" bottles to gift.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:38 pm

AntiM,

HF solar door number panels for bikes - what a great idea.

Does the kit come with both letters and numbers?

Looks like I might be making another road trip Saturday.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Monkeystyle
Camp Name: Morning Cock n' Tales

Post by Monkeystyle » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:54 pm

went to a thrift store and found a hat for my all green day, also found a red, corduroy jacket that I want to alter a little, and got my truck mounted bike carrier, and basket roof rack for the car delivered today.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Sat Jun 28, 2014 6:40 pm

For late night/early morning dining; today, I cooked, froze and vacuum packed 20 grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches.

The bacon was from one of the pork bellies that I salt cured and smoked over apple chips last December.

Vidi ego exars.

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:06 pm

Had a great day going to the thrift stores with my daughter. She's 12, and has a great eye for BM costume stuff. We scored an amazing iridescent, rainbow colored, long jacket. It was just meant for the desert! :D

Mostly, it was just fun spending time playing with all the stuff with my daughter, the jacket was a bonus...
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:46 pm

IKEA had solar light strings on clearance sale. Only got 3... May go
Back
:)
Let GOOD win!

Molotov
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:07 and D

Post by Molotov » Sun Jun 29, 2014 9:40 pm

Just finished sewing up playa dust covers for all the upholstered cushions in my travel trailer (Sort of oversized pillow cases made of old cotton sheets.)

fernley1
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 10:05 pm

Been building a bar for basshenge sound camp. About half way done.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:46 pm

Food & baby wipes nailed down.

A little something for each end.

Milayna

Post by Milayna » Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:54 pm

The most fabulously magical thing happened. Just as I was about to buckle down and attempt to build my swamp cooler an old friend (the guy who was my rideshare to my first burn!) got in touch with me because he had a bunch of Burning Man stuff he needed to give away before he moved. So I go to pick up the stuff, and lo and behold.....he gifts me a fully built, playa tested swamp cooler!!!!! :D :D :D :lol: :lol:

I seriously could not express to him how happy and grateful I was, but I did try with several hugs :) So I now have a swamp cooler ready to go, just need to get a battery, and do a test run.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:01 am

That's wonderful. :D

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”