One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by Jovankat » Sat Jul 12, 2014 7:55 am

Thank you lucky! You just reminded me I need to buy some of these so I can wear my docs!

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:25 am

YES! ^^^ my boots do wiggle just a tad bit at the heel! those along with socks look like they will fix that. Thanks for the link
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:08 pm

Two 10'x20' pieces of 80% shade cloth arrived with gripper grommets and ball bungees. Now I just have to sew them into a cover for the 10'x10' pop up awning. This works much better than the awning tops these things come with. If you want to know the supplier I used PM me and I'll share the info.

Lucky420 did you ever get that message I sent you about the boots I love?
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Blompson
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Anonymous Village

Post by Blompson » Sat Jul 12, 2014 2:54 pm

Today I scored one of these

My first year out, my brother taught me that you can use these to keep super cold water available all day long. Each day, drop a block of ice in and fill the remaining space with water. Simply top off as needed.
History does not repeat itself, though it often rhymes.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:15 pm

EmilyD wrote:Two 10'x20' pieces of 80% shade cloth arrived with gripper grommets and ball bungees. Now I just have to sew them into a cover for the 10'x10' pop up awning. This works much better than the awning tops these things come with. If you want to know the supplier I used PM me and I'll share the info.

No, I sure didn't :(
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:54 pm

It turns out my confirmation email for container space got lost in the sauce and I DO have the space I need, a tidbit of info I'm withholding from the gang until it's time to pack them up. Leverage.

My ticket arrived, casually commingled with my, mostly, junk mail. No signature sought, none given, so much for getting one's money worth out of the postage fees :roll:

I moved the bulk of my stuff from the shed to the garage.

I've begun consciously increasing water intake and tacking a 3 mile bike ride onto the end of my daily 3 mile walk.

Keeping an eye out for empty fabric softener bottle.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Sic Pup wrote:Keeping an eye out for empty fabric softener bottle.
75oz - 100oz detergent bottles are good, because you can get more than one occasion in there, but not so much that you won't remember to empty it. :lol:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Sunbeam56
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:31 pm

I have many flags, mostly fish skeletons - Fish out of Water.
Today i made a dragon flag :)
Let GOOD win!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sat Jul 12, 2014 6:45 pm

If you PM me I can give you the info about my beloved Clarks. I can't seem to PM you...the system says you don't exist?!?!

Lucky420 did you ever get that message I sent you about the boots I love?[/quote]

No, I sure didn't :([/quote]

PermaBurgin
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PermaBurgin » Sat Jul 12, 2014 8:11 pm

Just got a few yards of nylon fake fur, as per advice.

Seems to be already falling apart; how is this not moopy?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:53 pm

Faux fur can vary by the kind and type. It ALL starts out being MOOPy, you need to shake and brush it and make sure the edges are properly finished before you bring it to the playa... otherwise yeah...MOOP.

@Jovankat - sorry to hear about the awkward situation regarding the meetup and your campmates. That sounds like a potential nightmare of camp drama, good luck in trying to work out whatever issues they may have beforehand, hopefully everything is friendly and nice on the playa.

I sorted out all the structural design changes and improvements I'll be making for this year, and made a list of the additional gear we'll need in order to make that happen. I'll hopefully get that ordered in the next week. We also met up with a couple campmates for dinner last night, to just catch up and talk about plans and general excitement. Good times!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:43 pm

EmilyD wrote:If you PM me I can give you the info about my beloved Clarks. I can't seem to PM you...the system says you don't exist?!?!

No, I sure didn't :([/quote][/quote]

Lol oh but I do! Pm sent
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by tamarakay » Sun Jul 13, 2014 3:51 pm

Emptied the trailer completely. Rid ourselves of two mouse nests. Washed EVERYTHING, ordered mouse repellant thingies. Yuck.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:14 pm

Made a moop bag today. Used the same cloth I made my kilt from.
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:24 pm

Made myself 2 shimmery tube tops. The fabric moops like crazy from the raw edges, but some good edging and hemming solved that problem. I'll post pics when I can.

Also set up my tent and shade to make sure it was all going to work properly.

avasoul
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Bakka seven:30

Post by avasoul » Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:35 pm

Today I broke down and purchased tent. Not what I was planning but far less of a headache & for my first year I'm going as easy and well prepared as possible. Jealous of the fiber optic whips, 3 mile walks and moop bags out of kilt...suspect I'll walk around saying, "No way, why didn't i do that!" quite alot this year. Went to Full Moon gathering last night and met more camp mates. Yay for fellow socially awkward people, we'll get along swimmingly...especially as I hear the water is pretty deep on the Playa. How many days? ack!
"Where have all the flowers gone?"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."
--C.S. Lewis

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:33 pm

tamarakay wrote:Emptied the trailer completely. Rid ourselves of two mouse nests. Washed EVERYTHING, ordered mouse repellant thingies. Yuck.
UGH tamarakay!!! Any idea how they're getting in?

Today I called more camp mates and our desert home is coming together really nicely. I know something will go wrong, it always does, but having flexible expectations and trying to make sure everyone gets to express their needs is my goal. I'm focusing right now on a river camping trip coming up this weekend. After we return it'll be 24/7 playa prep mode. I have a LOT of sewing to do in the next 39 days!

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:28 am

The cars have officially been evicted from the garage for the duration of the summer; it is now no longer the garage but the "BM Prep Center". (No, not Bowel Movement Prep center, although it has had that effect on me a few times. Too much info?)

Which made room for the following accomplishments;
PVC mounts for the solar lights on our shade structure are complete. (Don't bother going to that big orange hardware store for PVC connectors on Sheridan in Lakewood, Colorado...they just ran out as of Sunday. You're welccome. :D .)
Finished the bike rack/transport/holder for the truck. (No more tossing the bikes in the back and hoping they get along without any damage for during the 1000 miles journey.)
Cleaned out all of the 2012 playa dust that was still in our trailer. (Yes, the thought occurred to us that we would soon be replacing it with 2014 playa dust.)
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:41 am

Towel.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:50 am

EmilyD wrote:
tamarakay wrote:Emptied the trailer completely. Rid ourselves of two mouse nests. Washed EVERYTHING, ordered mouse repellant thingies. Yuck.
UGH tamarakay!!! Any idea how they're getting in?

Today I called more camp mates and our desert home is coming together really nicely. I know something will go wrong, it always does, but having flexible expectations and trying to make sure everyone gets to express their needs is my goal. I'm focusing right now on a river camping trip coming up this weekend. After we return it'll be 24/7 playa prep mode. I have a LOT of sewing to do in the next 39 days!
One of the multitude of holes that we stuff rags into to keep the playa dust out. This is a very very old rickety trailer. A couple of people at rest stops tried to slip me money. We must look pretty needy as we travel along in our old truck and trailer lol

*edited to add: it's all a matter of perspective. On playa it looks like the Hilton. Off playa it looks like we don't have a pot to piss in. Which we don't. The toilet has been disabled and we use porto's and pee jugs :shock:

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:20 pm

started fitting together this monstrosity; final configuration not completely nailed down but this is a possibility:

Spent some time finishing the batman battery belt of awesomeness (complete with gratuitous crotch shot)

Put a fresh coat of krylon on some platform boots that have seen better days. Look like new now!

Beware teh snarkasm

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Mon Jul 14, 2014 12:27 pm

melodiousdirge wrote:started fitting together this monstrosity; final configuration not completely nailed down but this is a possibility:

Here are some ideas for you :)

[media]

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:30 pm

maladroit wrote:Here are some ideas for you :)]
Yeah I've seen that tasty awesomeness before; this is one of those projects I could have probably devoted the entire interburn period to. Mine just uses red LEDs right now, but I have several miles of fiber optic filament, along with a bunch of bundles from those f/o lamps you can buy... I think my ideas may already be too ambitious for the time I have left to work with. :|
Beware teh snarkasm

PermaBurgin
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PermaBurgin » Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:41 pm

That mohawk looks amazing, I really wanted to make a fiber optic one but I settled for EL wire.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Mon Jul 14, 2014 6:17 pm

The stallion and I had a little mini contest on who could use less water showering with a pump sprayer. I won! Well maybe we both did. :D

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 pm

@avasoul - congrats on the tent purchase! Don't worry about doing things in the most elaborate way possible - in your first year your mission is just to get there in one piece! Every year can be hard, but in the first year I think everything is harder still because you're starting out at square one and have to get every damned little thing.

@EmilyD - kudos on the camp planning stuff. That kind of legwork is important to making things go smoothly (and easily deal with surprises) out in the dust. Have fun with the weekend trip!

@skippy - congrats on the prep center. I just use the BMan abbreviation, that way the non-burners don't give me funny looks hehe.

@melodiousdirge - holy crap that headpiece is awesome!

Here's a weird one-a-day thing. I think I successfully talked a campmate out of building a small mutant vehicle. He cooked up the plans and filled out the MV application months ago, but it just seemed like time was slipping by and he's got tons of other commitments on art projects, and if he attempted to do it he'd get over-extended and would have a really hard burn.

In the sorting out stuff we need department, I got a couple orders placed - more driver bits, cable ties, colored masking tape (so we can mark bins that are ready to load onto the truck... the idea is to help speed along the process of getting out of town faster on the day we leave for BRC), plus additional power strips, extension cords, and my work lights. W00t! I'm really excited about that particular upgrade. For camp setup purposes, if you don't have enough light in the space working at night means losing parts and screws and making a mess and not getting things done right. Having enough light means we can do more work in the evening, when it's cooler. Then, to top things off, I got a pair of tinted shop glasses. Last year I discovered that a decent pair of shop glasses doubles as dust protection for my eyes/ Now I'm sorted for daytime, too.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:47 am

trilobyte wrote:@avasoul - congrats on the tent purchase! Don't worry about doing things in the most elaborate way possible - in your first year your mission is just to get there in one piece! Every year can be hard, but in the first year I think everything is harder still because you're starting out at square one and have to get every damned little thing.

@EmilyD - kudos on the camp planning stuff. That kind of legwork is important to making things go smoothly (and easily deal with surprises) out in the dust. Have fun with the weekend trip!

@skippy - congrats on the prep center. I just use the BMan abbreviation, that way the non-burners don't give me funny looks hehe.

@melodiousdirge - holy crap that headpiece is awesome!

Here's a weird one-a-day thing. I think I successfully talked a campmate out of building a small mutant vehicle. He cooked up the plans and filled out the MV application months ago, but it just seemed like time was slipping by and he's got tons of other commitments on art projects, and if he attempted to do it he'd get over-extended and would have a really hard burn.

In the sorting out stuff we need department, I got a couple orders placed - more driver bits, cable ties, colored masking tape (so we can mark bins that are ready to load onto the truck... the idea is to help speed along the process of getting out of town faster on the day we leave for BRC), plus additional power strips, extension cords, and my work lights. W00t! I'm really excited about that particular upgrade. For camp setup purposes, if you don't have enough light in the space working at night means losing parts and screws and making a mess and not getting things done right. Having enough light means we can do more work in the evening, when it's cooler. Then, to top things off, I got a pair of tinted shop glasses. Last year I discovered that a decent pair of shop glasses doubles as dust protection for my eyes/ Now I'm sorted for daytime, too.
Dang, Trilo, you think of everything! Seems you're working on something-or-other for the burn all the time!
(I guess, hence the name of this thread...) I'm truly impressed.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:28 am

The fur for my new playa coat showed up. I've never used a sewing machine before, so this ought to be an interesting little experiment.

Beware teh snarkasm

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:32 am

as a seamster, i highly recommend you watch this first.

fur can get wonky in the machine and gum things up pretty bad.....been there....gummed that.

[media]
Frida Be You & Me

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:35 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:as a seamster, i highly recommend you watch this first.

fur can get wonky in the machine and gum things up pretty bad.....been there....gummed that.
Thanks; I thought it might have some special considerations. I'm going to have to exercise a lot of restraint over my normal impulse to blunder ahead at full speed.
Beware teh snarkasm

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”