One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:51 pm

I agree with AntiM, remi, especially considering the size of that thing! I bet it's beautiful but fragile, even if it's lacquered.

For today, I:
Placed my (hopefully) only internet shipping order, mooching off 2-day service subscription of a friend. Should have 3x LED strings; 1x dried cranberries, 1x collapsible cup, and 1x electrolyte powder by early next week.

Went through last year's list to make this year's, then sorted this year's list into plan/do/pull from storage/pack/buyhere/buythere columns.

Put a new battery in an 11-year-old digital wristwatch. Display works great, including glow, but one of the buttons is stuck. Not bad considering how much I've used it.

More sorting through bins.

Pondered a haircut. For me, that's progress in personal grooming!

Made plans to meet with a potential rideshare to inspect her trunk. It's going to be a great first date!

Chewed my friend's ear off about plans. Luckily, he has a backup.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:35 pm

I had new oil and filter put in the transmission and the fluid level in the rear differential checked today.

With these items, all the auto and trailer mechanical details have been taken care of.

The trailer is loaded, except for the frozen food and purchasing the dry ice for ice chest; I am as ready to hit the road on August 18 as I will ever be.

Now, all I have to do is to begin my journey and wait on the unforeseen or forgotten surprises......
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:08 pm

Picked up some rebar for my new improved shade, crossed another big non-playa project off my list thereby freeing up more time, and my ticket arrived!

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:33 pm

I made up for doing jack shit up until this weekend.

Filled prescription to get me through Sept.

Moved bins from shed to garage.

Charged solar lights - all but one are functioning fine.

Tested propane stove - working fine.

Did some repair on a fractured lion leg, Patience was anything but... wuss.

Extracted the weight in Fortitude's base.

Picked up a few pool noodles which I will use in conjunction with rebar to hold the guys in place now that they are sans their anchoring weights and their hollow innards are exposed through their bottom (and who hasn't been in that position?). I'm considering lube as a behavior incentive.

Completed shipping containers.

Did a rough battery need count..... the number lies somewhere between a boatload and a shit ton.

Ordered a fiber optic thing that will replicate a water fall in the fountain I'm going to sandwich between the pride.

This weekend I plan to:

Put name/address on shipping containers and embellish units with paint.

Pack the fella's up (load-in is next Saturday)

Set up/check out tent.

Set up/check out monkey hut.

Dig up last year's list and start making a dent in it.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:37 pm

Removed more packaging.
Tested grill.
Unpacked, sorted and repacked some bins. For travel, for playa, for post playa travel etc
Made list for groceries and supplies shopping tomorrow.
Looked at routes to see if there was a road we have not traveled yet. Nope. Poop.

Did not get fired.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:02 pm

Tested Grill! No I didn't. TK's grill test however is very inspiring.
put lit up butterfly on shako.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:08 pm

Tickets arrived!

And got more bobbins for my sewing machine so I can finally finish my last costume project.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

AfricanFire

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:48 pm

Just went through my list updating as needed, Other than food, I pretty much have everything I need. Now to start the packing!!!

Had a Dr appt today - routine check-up (I have a chronic disease) - got the all clear from the Doc, and had a great chat about BMan. He was quizzing me about the history, asked me if I was there the year the Man was burned down early etc. I love my Doc.

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:43 pm

after this year i am going for a low cost ticket next year. I am making a rolls royce freek car.

Just kidding, do bikes really have flats easy? how many out of 100 bikes have flats a day?
unit

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:17 pm

unitivity wrote:how many out of 100 bikes have flats a day?
80% of the poorly maintained ones.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 12:17 am

Nice butterfly hat Ellorum!

Finished tonight...fleece playa hat for chilly nights. Meant to pair with the upgrade of my light-up coat...still in work.

Left Side Image Right Side Image

The bike sex-change bars came today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to finally test the new bike rack on the trailer.

Made tofu "pulled-pork" for my night of cooking. It's in the freezer with the 15 servings of the actual pig version. Got celery salt and powdered mustard for a Bobby Flay coleslaw recipe to put on top of both. All I need is the buns and a way to keep them from decomposing between Saturday & Tuesday. Any suggestions?
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:36 am

EmilyD wrote:Made tofu "pulled-pork" for my night of cooking. It's in the freezer with the 15 servings of the actual pig version. Got celery salt and powdered mustard for a Bobby Flay coleslaw recipe to put on top of both. All I need is the buns and a way to keep them from decomposing between Saturday & Tuesday. Any suggestions?
Oh yum!! :)

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:30 am

:oops:
This may seem indelicate if you are reading this at breakfast, but we are grownups here.

I just put a fresh "Double Family Size" pack of Imodium A-D in my kit. Actually, it is a generic brand for less money. Cheap, either way. The stuff is Loperamide Hydrochloride 2 mg, and it is sold over-the-counter in the stomach-issues isle of almost any grocery- and drug-store. "A-D" stands for Anti-Diarrheal. For most people, two or three of these tablets stops diarrhea in its tracks in just four hours or less.

Now back to your regularly scheduled oatmeal.

:D

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:49 am

Since it's August 1st, I just took a ride to the post office and picked up some new stamps for work. Every August, I subject the staff to my whim on the postage stamps.
Here is my choice for this year!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:02 am

*counting seconds until somebody superimposes BRC onto those stamps* :D

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:04 am

Elliot wrote:.
*counting seconds until somebody superimposes BRC onto those stamps* :D
Like---maybe---SIMON?

Madgirl

Post by Madgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:18 am

EmilyD wrote:Made tofu "pulled-pork" for my night of cooking. It's in the freezer with the 15 servings of the actual pig version. Got celery salt and powdered mustard for a Bobby Flay coleslaw recipe to put on top of both. All I need is the buns and a way to keep them from decomposing between Saturday & Tuesday. Any suggestions?
We kept our hamburger buns in the cooler last year (just regular ice, not dry ice) and they were still fine on Thursday.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 am

EmilyD wrote:All I need is the buns and to keep them from decomposing between Saturday & Tuesday. Any suggestions?
We kept our hamburger buns in the cooler last year (just regular ice, not dry ice) and they were still fine on Thursday.[/quote]

Thanks for that tip Madgirl. They going to be pretty bulky.

I just dug up danibel's excellent advice for prepping cabbage to use instead of lettuce salads.

From danibel: " Take a head of cabbage (should do OK out there till Thursday if kept cool in shade) - slice into small shreds, squeeze an entire lemon over it, add chopped cilantro (also should be OK if washed, dried, and zip locked till Thursday, or chop and freeze ahead), and mix in a small can of sliced jalapenos. Put all in a big zip lock (maybe doubled if you worry about leakage), let sit for a day. Next day squeeze another whole lemon over it all and place in bowl for taco topppings. Better than dealing with wilting lettuce."
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

Madgirl

Post by Madgirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:00 am

EmilyD wrote:Thanks for that tip Madgirl. They going to be pretty bulky.
I think the key was not so much that they needed to be kept cool, but to keep them tightly sealed so they didn't get too dried out. Putting them in the cooler kept 'em in a little more humid environment.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 1:13 pm

unitivity wrote:after this year i am going for a low cost ticket next year. I am making a rolls royce freek car.

Just kidding, do bikes really have flats easy? how many out of 100 bikes have flats a day?
It's not usually the tire itself that pops, it's the tube inside. I recommend packing at least one extra bike tube (usually in the neighborhood of $4). It might save your transportation, or make a great gift.

EmilyD wrote:Nice butterfly hat Ellorum!

Finished tonight...fleece playa hat for chilly nights. Meant to pair with the upgrade of my light-up coat...still in work.

Left Side Image Right Side Image
The hat came out beautifully!

Elorrum wrote:Tested Grill! No I didn't. TK's grill test however is very inspiring.
put lit up butterfly on shako.
Oh god! Yours too!

I officially have Hat Envy.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:28 pm

Pulled this out of the closet. Forgot I even had it. I think it goes perfectly with the theme. I got it at a vintage shop in Haight-Ashbury 15 years ago. Its been well loved and needs some work, but its perfect for the playa. 60s green velvet house dress with gold embroidery.
Green Dress Full.jpg
Green Dress Detail.jpg
I am proud to admit that I wore this quite a few times my senior year of high school...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:33 pm

Bought and cut the conduit for our 400 sq/ft shade structure and assembled the parts today. Got the tarps bungied-up and then had a few brewskis under it to "test it out". Relatively impressed by the YSBW canopy parts (they FINALLY came in!).

Cleaned and tuned the Monster Cooler. Wasnt happy with the way it was wetting the pads so I "rewired it" (Tim Allen style). Much better now. Turned around a few minutes later and a pack of dogs were sprawled out in front of it. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:41 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
Cleaned and tuned the Monster Cooler. Wasnt happy with the way it was wetting the pads so I "rewired it" (Tim Allen style). Much better now. Turned around a few minutes later and a pack of dogs were sprawled out in front of it. :mrgreen:
Hahaha!

I now have jerky, sunscreen, canned coffee, energy drinks, & chicken salad snack packs. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:02 pm

That fleece hat is a thing of beauty. The butterfly is a great addition to your band hat. You guys should be proud! Great job!
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AfricanFire

Post by AfricanFire » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:59 pm

Picked up rebar covers, a spray bottle/mister, a small sewing kit, and a couple of big buckets with lids for grey water and for a stable trash can.

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:18 pm

AfricanFire wrote:Picked up rebar covers, a spray bottle/mister, a small sewing kit, and a couple of big buckets with lids for grey water and for a stable trash can.
GASP! You're bringing horses? Or - dare I speak a dream - camels?

Today I bought quite a few items at the local fixed-number-of-pennies store, including sunscreen, solar camp lights, hand flashlights, work gloves, various lamplighting necessities, carabiners, sharpies, and cheap TP.

AfricanFire

Post by AfricanFire » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:47 pm

GASP! You're bringing horses? Or - dare I speak a dream - camels?
Shhhhhhhhh ;)

Molotov
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:56 pm

Picked up some long lag screws and related hardware to firmly anchor my little travel trailer to the playa in case of a massive blow. Think mobile home tie-downs on a reduced scale.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:46 pm

AfricanFire wrote:Had a Dr appt today - routine check-up (I have a chronic disease) - got the all clear from the Doc, and had a great chat about BMan. He was quizzing me about the history, asked me if I was there the year the Man was burned down early etc. I love my Doc.
Saw mine on Tuesday, and we chatted about how neither of us was going. Maybe we have the same doctor.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:48 pm

Savannah wrote:I officially have Hat Envy.
Please, no, don't...

The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”