One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
unitivity
Burning Since: 2014

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by unitivity » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:03 pm

I know this is so un cool to ask, but where the fuck can i get rebar cut to about 2 feet. I lost. and type dirty words to much.
unit

Molotov
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:11 pm

Check at Lowe's Home Improvement and Lumber-they have pre cut lengths over by the concrete section. Don't know the lengths available.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:17 pm

unit, are you sure you need rebar? There are many better solutions for most applications discussed all over these boards.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Home Depot has precut pieces of rebar - just picked up some 2ft pieces yesterday.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:43 pm

It's all coming together.
belt2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Fri Aug 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Checking my list tonight I find it scary that I have everything on it - even the food and drink! :shock:
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:46 am

I am making a bed out of rebar.
unit

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:56 am

A big 1 gallon jar of kosher pickles was purchased. I went to the library to use their copier to copy stuff, just in case I needed copied stuff.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:09 am

Yesterday shopping at the local Japanese market for some Inari (canned, sweet, tofu pockets) pre-cooked rice, seaweed, canned crab, sesame spice, pickled vegetables, and dehydrated mushrooms. Mix together and stuff into tofu pockets for a yummy meal.

Also chopped off all my hair and got it re-purpled.

Todaysis all about the bike!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:27 am

unitivity wrote:I am making a bed out of rebar.
:shock: Not the answer I was expecting. Then, yea, like the others have said: any big-box building supply should have it pre-cut to 2' lengths and/or be able to cut it for you. Good luck with the playa's heaviest bed.

EmilyD wrote:Yesterday shopping at the local Japanese market for some Inari (canned, sweet, tofu pockets) pre-cooked rice, seaweed, canned crab, sesame spice, pickled vegetables, and dehydrated mushrooms. Mix together and stuff into tofu pockets for a yummy meal.
That sounds delicious! I hate fast food in the States, but I really miss stopping into 7-11 to buy onigiri meals when on roadtrips in Japan.

I tested solar stake lights, removed packaging, added batteries to flashlights, and did more list revision. Expecting package in mail any time now.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:32 pm

Wait...there are 7-11s in Japan?
EmilyD wrote:Yesterday shopping at the local Japanese market for some Inari (canned, sweet, tofu pockets) pre-cooked rice, seaweed, canned crab, sesame spice, pickled vegetables, and dehydrated mushrooms. Mix together and stuff into tofu pockets for a yummy meal.
That sounds delicious! I hate fast food in the States, but I really miss stopping into 7-11 to buy onigiri meals when on roadtrips in Japan.

I tested solar stake lights, removed packaging, added batteries to flashlights, and did more list revision. Expecting package in mail any time now.[/quote]
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:38 pm

EmilyD wrote:Wait...there are 7-11s in Japan?
EVERYWHERE. And quite a few knock-off brands (SPAR, Lawson, AM/PM, Circle K, others...). They're called "konbini," which is a shortened version of the English loanword "convenience store." They sell food (microwaves available), let you pay bills and do banking, pay utility bills, send mail and packages, do photocopying, do cell phone services, sell event tickets, etc. Super convenient (heh) except they don't sell fuel.

Wikipedia says there's roughly one konbini per 2,000 people in Japan.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Picked up a giant furry leopard print onesie from a yard sale today for 2 bucks. It's super ridiculous and perfect for those late nights at the local dive bars. Got an old fishing rod and reel for 1 dollar as well. Nice hippy fishing setup.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:32 pm

Got a new steamer :)
Let GOOD win!

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:43 pm

Sunbeam56 wrote:Got a new steamer :)
As in... a Bacon Tamalez Steamer?

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:37 pm

made a rear door for my canopy , and a platform for the swamp cooler . The entry door has a lip behind it all around to keep dust out and the whole inside is taped.
My heat exit vent is the front window. I tested it today without a shade structure and 55% humidity the cooler dropped it 10 deg . I put the thermostat in the cooler pipe and it got down to 75 deg and it was 90 outside. The platform for the swamp cooler folds up and the old window handle keeps it in place. I will have a shade tarps over this ,there will be a 16" air space between truck and tarp .

Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 pm

Switched to tea with breakfast today for the rest of the month, in my annual hopes of making coffee a little more potent on the playa. :)
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:18 pm

Bought a new cooler. Also started work on the last costuming project I want to get done...just need to sew it all together now.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:24 pm

I finished our post card and MDF placed order with the printer:
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:02 pm

Apparently one of my responsibilities with “the camp” is to inoculate, or indoctrinate, acclimate… that’s the word, the new people to the playa.
Today, as a start to that growth process, I devised a daily curriculum for the new people to follow.

-Hippie fishing 101. "Look someone dropped a glow stick, pick it up." The finer points to hooking that big one.
-How To Make The Perfect Cocktail. Your skills will be put to the test as you make me drinks every day.
-Eternal Flame. 5:45 to 6pm daily, weather permitting.
-Ice Run Races. Competing teams make the race to get ice from 3 and 9 ice houses. First to fill my ice chest wins!
-Postcards Home. Write up and send a postcard to those you love, reminisce of messages home from summer camp, or Nam.
-Pants or De-pants? Is there a place for assigned seating in the Burner camp?
-Compare wounds, rashes, abrasions, lacerations, burns, blisters and symptoms.
-What's my moop! Compare the oddest and most exciting finds of the day.
-Smells like...; a olfaction remembrance of recent visits to the porta potties.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:11 pm

Better be careful there, Bri, you might get other camps trying to get you to teach day seminars based on that curriculum.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:55 pm

Today I cut, fit, assembled, sanded and got the first coat of paint on my hush-box for an EU2000i. It's designed to mount on the trailer tongue, connect to the bulk tank, and provide 3-4 days of non-stop power and weather protection while under way.

The really cool thing is it drops the noise (which is already very quiet), to inaudible from 20 feet away in a quiet residential street. WHOOO HOOOO!!!! Tomorrow it gets another coat of paint and I fit the foam anti-recirculation baffles inside of it so air goes in and out without risk of overheating.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Maizie
Burning Since: 2011

Post by Maizie » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:07 pm

We spent the weekend doing a test setup of our camp at my parent's farm. I'm really glad we did it - took two or three tries to figure out the best method of getting the canopy onto the carport.

Also confirmed that the solar + 12v battery setup works, and added some more wire onto it so that we can reposition everything a bit better.

Still working out some kinks with loading the vehicle, and may have to sacrifice the chuckbox I made. Ugh. We'll work on that this week.

(My beloved chuckbox! It's just ... it's big. And a little heavy.)
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:13 pm

Built 2 8 foot bike racks the I am gifting to a naborhood camp.
Turned out real nice.

nixiebunny

Post by nixiebunny » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:15 pm

Installed a 350 CI engine in my 1958 Chevy station wagon today, to make towing the popup trailer easier. My brother did most of the important underneath work, while our sons helped out a lot with the details.
--David Forbes

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:55 am

I have the 5 gallon regular coke like bottle water large jug that you get at the water store and fill at the grocery store.

I cannot pour the water from it into the rv little hole and a funnel will not work at that angle. Has anyone seen an attachment to the regular not coke bottle style but little top opening and well like a water bottle for a water cooler to talk shit at.

I need an attachment that goes from the plastic like cap of the water bottle to the one inch opening of the rv to fill it from these water cooler bottles. Seen anything any where?
unit

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:59 am

One question for the power that be. If i take the water cooler bottle full of gray water to a portapotty and dump it right before they empty them why is this against the life of normal being. It is like a large pee bottle that people use and do the same are they not. :oops:
unit

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:57 am

Because if everyone did it, the potties would be swamped, the blue goo would not do its job. Pee jugs rarely have more than a quart of fluid. That's a lot less than five gallons. Those pumper trucks only hold so much fluid, they need it full of human waste, not your gray water.

You figure it out.

Molotov
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:01 am

I'm using two of the Primo water 5 gallon jugs also-I decant them into a gallon pitcher with a siphon hose (at first-it get easier as the water level goes down), then go to the fill hole and use a funnel to fill the RV tank. It's only 5 trips and you are done. I have an adapter for my grey water drain that reduces it down to garden hose size. Once I have emptied a Primo H2O jug, I drain an equal amount from the grey water tank back into the now empty Primo jug, using empty gallon milk pitchers if need be. Then at my first stop at an RV park after Exodus, I dump the grey water down the approved dump station. I never refill the grey water contaminated Primo bottles myself-they go back to the store and are exchanged for full ones. The water supplier disinfects to returned empties before reuse.

It sounds like a lot of hassle, but my little RV trailer has a 25 gallon grey water and 15 gallon black water holding tank capacity and a 16 gallon fresh water tank. Since I am rolling solo, and don't anticipate letting any sparkle ponies use my shower, I may not have to drain anything from the holding tank at all.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:36 am

Unitivity, I HOPE you are kidding. Last year they had to call in trucks from HUNDREDS of miles away to handle the potties. The potty tanks overflowed, had to be locked up and made a big smelly mess. I know you've heard the cry, " If it doesn't come out of your body it doesn't go in the pottie". This isn't just a cute rhyme. It's a very serious proclamation. If you want to use your own 'John' in your RV then enjoy yourself. Make arrangements to have the sewage or grey water taken away by truck or take it home with you. Build an evaporative system. Don't ruin everyone else's pottie experience.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”