One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by Jovankat » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:54 am

fernley1 wrote:Built 2 8 foot bike racks the I am gifting to a naborhood camp.
Turned out real nice.

Ooo can you post pics? This is something I ned to work out for you camp

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:59 am

Made my tutu. Got the trail mix made and bagged. Assorted other tiny chores.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:29 am

Ratty wrote:Unitivity, I HOPE you are kidding. Last year they had to call in trucks from HUNDREDS of miles away to handle the potties. The potty tanks overflowed, had to be locked up and made a big smelly mess. I know you've heard the cry, " If it doesn't come out of your body it doesn't go in the pottie". This isn't just a cute rhyme. It's a very serious proclamation. If you want to use your own 'John' in your RV then enjoy yourself. Make arrangements to have the sewage or grey water taken away by truck or take it home with you. Build an evaporative system. For grey water only! Shit and pee gets pumped or goes home with you!!1Don't ruin everyone else's pottie experience.
Sometimes, you just want to be very clear.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 12:06 pm

Jovankat wrote:
fernley1 wrote:Built 2 8 foot bike racks the I am gifting to a naborhood camp.
Turned out real nice.
Ooo can you post pics? This is something I ned to work out for you camp
Two designs recommended here: http://burningman.com/themecamps/bike_racks.html
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:10 pm

I managed to piece together two free POS bikes into one decent Playa bike! It rides really nice. I ended up only needing to buy two new tubes to get it up and running. :)

Thank you to Ratty for making the parts available and for the costume stuff. I can't wait to meet up with you during the event!
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Sun Aug 03, 2014 1:38 pm

The last few days have been a blur. Picked up lots of supplies, from a chunk of the beer and liquor to kitchen supplies and another 10 flip-top bins to all the lumber I'll need for the evap pond, wall displays, ziggurat, cooler tables, and bike racks. I also got all those parts cut, now I need to do some measuring, drilling, and assembly work. I can't get the bike racks and cooler tables fully built until we're out there, but partial assembly makes for less work to do on the playa. I also got a bunch of painting done, but there's still more to do. Sewing wise all the stuff that needed alterations or patches added has been knocked out, and my girlfriend has also managed to make 3 new pieces for herself. She's also making great progress on designing and 3D printing a cool light-up piece for her hat. It's tough to describe in words, when I get a chance I'll post a pic or two in the playawear work in progress thread later.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:28 pm

Today was a day of rest. We spent the last three starting the Burn Pile in the garage. Funny how my storage shed, workshop and other various nooks and crannies are all empty now.
We're heading to the playa for a four night trip this Thursday, so the RV has to be packed and then unpacked then repacked(stuffed) so we'll be able to shoehorn the stuff for a camp of 25.
I *did* decide to tackle building a bike rack today. The woodpile inventory is long on 2x4's and 1x2's. I'm semi-confident that I can cobble something together.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:34 pm

Thanks Ratty & Fishie. We can expect to have the same volume experience this year. Hopefully weather won't be such a FUBAR this yr as last pre event. the early entry population is enormous, and USS prob will be slammed just as hard.
PLEASE! don't put gray water in the toilets. Volume was our biggest enemy last year all week! They keep volume expectation numbers, and last year the volume was WAY off. This fucks their schedule. Trucks were filling up before their run was complete. Just don't do it. You can dump you pee bucket in them, that counts against the population volume numbers.

My item for today was getting the BMIR script out the door. I hope Bobzilla can help me on this and get some traction while people are arriving. Maybe I should write one about gray water.

unitivity
Burning Since: 2014

Post by unitivity » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:51 pm

i was kidding, and did not know i was off out there with lucy. sorry and i stand corrected. i love control of design science.
mind over matter. please for give me i was really kidding. truth is funny, sometimes to funny.
maybe my own porta potty on a trailer would be good. Love and happiness please for ever. i have been to hippie hill
don't shoot i give sorry back in the chain gang i go.

with the income of this great event it seems that a new design than porta potties would be considered. like oil trucks full of recyclable water from solar cell water makers to spread on the streets for dust control. a family of four can run their car on the methane of their waste, so the electricity could be run from the waste if wanted. Like a orbiting space craft, recycled into use.

for give me sorry. i will pee in my rv. If it makes it up there.
unit

unitivity

Post by unitivity » Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:56 pm

bought two bikes today at flea market great beach rollers with big seats, started pilling the storage room burn stuff on left other on the right, tools, ready, new tires, new black tank, and water tank, this is fun to work towards. hope i do not get kicked out for some reason i did not know was taboo. waiting for my tickets.
unit

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:32 pm

The calendar is ticking and I'm going to have to step it up in the coming days.

I used my noodle(s) to pad the delicate cargo in my shipping crates (in conjunction with cheapo HF moving blankets). Closed them up, put some identification and spray painted a bunch of up arrows on them.

Ordered a 24 pack of 5 hour energy shots, a battery operated ipod speaker and a box of Zagnuts (just the essentials) online.
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:36 pm

Went to a Virgin Burner BBQ - unfortunately no virgin burners were on the menu. This is a local event where the virgins can come and ask questions and get info. Also made myself a mesh layer/jacket thing that can double as a dress with a couple of strategic pins, and a mesh tie skirt.

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 03, 2014 10:46 pm

Rideshare acquired! As a bonus, she's mexicana, so we can rideshare in Spanish!

But her trunk is really not that large so reeeally going to have to pare down when packing.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:53 pm

Worked on the light-up coat alterations today also made my annual coffee bags. This is a great way to enjoy your favorite coffee but not have to deal with grounds.

You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

geospyder
Burning Since: 2017

Post by geospyder » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:31 am

Solar lights are getting a gentle washing :D They are in the backyard for charging and it is raining. If it is raining here in Sparks I presume it is or will be raining on the Playa sometime today. Good for the Playa but not for the workers setting up BRC :(
You know it's going to be a bad day when you jump out of bed and miss the floor.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 am

Found last years extra scarves & T-shirts. Into the trailer heap!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:11 am

Shipped- 3/8 X 14 Lag Screws / Hex Head / Steel / Zinc / 50 Pc. Carton
Delivery estimate: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - Wednesday, August 20, 2014 by 8:00pm
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:17 am

Lonesomebri wrote:Shipped- 3/8 X 14 Lag Screws / Hex Head / Steel / Zinc / 50 Pc. Carton
Delivery estimate: Wednesday, August 13, 2014 - Wednesday, August 20, 2014 by 8:00pm
Accomplished about 5 of the 40 things I needed to get done this weekend. Looks like a blessing that I never started some of these other projects I was gunna get into. I'm almost finished sewing my ridiculously large furry playa coat, and I'm just figuring out how I'm going to lay in the LEDs... hopefully I have time.

I also discovered that some of the salvaged batteries I used in my portable stereo were either crap to begin with, or were damaged by my foolishness, so I have a bunch of "2600mAh" cells that only hold about 300mAh. Needless to say i'm not impressed and I don't have time to run extensive testing on all 100 cells. I have sorted them into "decent" and "crappy" piles and ordered another bunch of cells to fill the void, and hopefully they perform well enough to keep my rolling dance party in business!
Beware teh snarkasm

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:28 am

melodiousdirge wrote:... I'm almost finished sewing my ridiculously large furry playa coat, and I'm just figuring out how I'm going to lay in the LEDs... hopefully I have time...
Suggestion: get something in place that's "good enough" to be functional. Then work to improve overall state as time permits. That way you won't have 25% of it 100% done when it's time to depart, if you see what I mean.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:30 am

Right, so Photos or it never happened:

Finished my 2014 edition swamp cooler off with a super ghetto fab exterior door. Hopefully I'll have time to get to painting this before departure but if not it will do the job as-is:

Also mounted the driver fan to the inside of the trailer. Looking at the interior of this trailer makes me fully regret the impulse to paint it white;

After the exercise of pulling 2 foot rebar stakes out of the ground the last three years (and bending a 6 foot prybar in the process) I invested in a hi-lift jack with a lil chain for yanking those biatches out:

Aaaand with the benefit of a few unsightly straps, I figured out how to stick my PA equipment to my trike trailer; shown sans the electronics enclosure which currently lies in pieces due to the battery issue described above:

Beware teh snarkasm

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:32 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:
melodiousdirge wrote:... I'm almost finished sewing my ridiculously large furry playa coat, and I'm just figuring out how I'm going to lay in the LEDs... hopefully I have time...
Suggestion: get something in place that's "good enough" to be functional. Then work to improve overall state as time permits. That way you won't have 25% of it 100% done when it's time to depart, if you see what I mean.
Definitely good advice. I try to phase my projects so they will be partly functional even if unfinished. I decided I wanted the coat with or without the lights, so sewing it was phase 1. Depending how time consuming it is to add the lights, I think that will be an all or nothing exercise.
Beware teh snarkasm

jneilvindy

Post by jneilvindy » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:36 am

280$ worth of stuff from Amazon ordered. Sadly it's mostly LED, anti-darkwad, camp fun stuff, ect.

Camp bed and luggable loo (thanks lonesomebri!) ordered from Wal-the store that shall not be named-Mart.

Started the cut-outs for the generator hushbox, chopped up the carpet for wall lining. Arranged to borrow a couple of deep cycle batteries so I can power the LED'S at night without running the gennie, 5 gallon gas cans ect. and basically discussed house sitting duties with my friend.

Did a full bike check and maintenance, started piling stuff up in the garage I plan on taking, toolkit, tarps, tiedowns, sledges, bungies ect. ect. ect.

Still no tickets!!!!!!!arghghghghahaahaaaaagh :coffee:

Madgirl
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:49 am

Revised my grocery list YET again. Still debating whether I want to do a dry ice cooler or not.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:58 pm

Ordered some more random bits that should arrive on Wednesday. Made my final shopping list (food). I now pretty much have everything I'm taking (except the food) but I haven't packed a thing yet. Eek.

Just_Joe
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Mon Aug 04, 2014 4:25 pm

Repurposed wood!
I'm counting the (6) 1x2's that have been sitting all alone in the corner of the garage for 6+ years as "previously purposed".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:39 pm

Just_Joe wrote:Repurposed wood!
I'm counting the (6) 1x2's that have been sitting all alone in the corner of the garage for 6+ years as "previously purposed".

Nice rack Joe!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:06 pm

That's a mighty pretty bike there Just_joe!

Here's my completed (widened) Playa coat, finished today. I also added an inside pocket, always a good idea.

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:30 pm

EmilyD wrote:Nice butterfly hat Ellorum!

Finished tonight...fleece playa hat for chilly nights. Meant to pair with the upgrade of my light-up coat...still in work.

Left Side Image Right Side Image

The bike sex-change bars came today. Hopefully tomorrow I'll be able to finally test the new bike rack on the trailer.

Made tofu "pulled-pork" for my night of cooking. It's in the freezer with the 15 servings of the actual pig version. Got celery salt and powdered mustard for a Bobby Flay coleslaw recipe to put on top of both. All I need is the buns and a way to keep them from decomposing between Saturday & Tuesday. Any suggestions?
Thought the hat and coat should be on the same page... Awesome, EmilyD!!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:59 pm

Today was fun with lasers, saws, drills, and digital tools. I started rubber stamp production, got the most painful part of the bike racks built (on playa it will just be a matter of attaching the base boards and sides), and ran more stuff out to storage. It's filling up fast, I'm dreading having to dig the coolers out of there in the next couple weeks. I also got around to posting pics of the 3D printed project my gf is working on (it's in the playawear work in progress thread) and I got around to posting pics of camp related works in progress in my camp's thread. I got orders placed for a few more supplies for our food service stuff, and finished knocking out a couple more designs. I still feel like there's a small avalanche of design stuff to do, but thankfully all the big/key projects are past that point. I booked more time on the laser cutter for later in the week, I think that with what I've got booked I should be able to get everything done that I need to with that tool.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:50 pm

Thanks Patsh!
:-)

I should mention...the coat lights up at night:

Image Image

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”