One item for BMan 2014 a day

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
unitivity
Burning Since: 2014

Re: One item for BMan 2014 a day

Post by unitivity » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:28 pm

driving along i see rebar sign 10 foot by 10 foot u turn and into large factory like gate and bingo a rebar company.

i go in the office they say how many truck loads do you need. I stated $10 worth. they stated that will be 69 cents each for a two foot rebar like 5/8s diameter. Wow i stated i will have 15 dollars worth. Then i stated can you bend them at the top, they stated see hector and he can do it. Bingo hector has a machine that bends rebar like butter. the tops at 90 degrees, perfect with space for rope etc. then i leave and say to myself, god did that! It took about 30 minutes and i had not planned a thing.

some people call that channeling. synergy, life in the best lane, on the path to die. What a strange wonderful game. life
unit

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:27 pm

Tested oven in trailer, wOrks great. We ate supper out of the container outside next to the trailer. Silly and romantic.
Refrigerator not working on propane at all. It was sketchy last year. Looks like ice chests and dry ice this year. Poop.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:47 pm

Sewing, sewing, sewing, SEWING shadecloth!

Inventoried all awning parts...there are some odd numbers in the bin. Will need to test the entire thing after all (sigh).
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

EmilyD
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:49 pm

lucky420 wrote:does anyone ever cross 1/2 the item off when only 1/2 finished?
YES...have to feel like there is progress being made.
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:42 am

Was working on a base tan, but it turned into a sunburn. Is that progress?

Also, was gifted some lovely clothing. Nothing too wild, but my sense of style is limited to jeans and t-shirts. Hopefully this stuff'll help me break out of my shell a bit, starting by daring to wear it at the burn.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:54 am

Dug out the Monkey hut materials. I have enough stuff for 2 huts but only need 1 this year so I'm trying to decide if I should make a stretched hut or just go with the regular sized one. Don't need to add any more crap to the pile if I don't need to.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Maizie

Post by Maizie » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:49 am

Whittling down the pile of ALL THE THINGS into MOSTLY THE THINGS THAT WE NEED, and going through the packing lists.

Debating unbolting the second-row seats from our vehicle - they don't fold all that flat in a Sorento, unfortunately.
"At least half of planning for a successful Burn includes thinking of how to avoid being a problem for others." - delle

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 am

My one item today.............................

FIND OUT WHY SUDENLY MY FUCKING TRUCK WON'T START!!!!!!!!!!!!!?????????????? :x :x :x :shock: :shock: :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:53 pm

Made a contraption for laying out the monkey hut base - Pythagorean formula and all. Worked good when I tested it with the diagonal measurements within an inch or so of each other.

Refurbished the dry ice chest and got it ready for the ice cream bars and choc chip cookie dough (ice cream social about Thursday afternoon).

Planned my menu reminding me NOT to take as much food as I have in the past.

Checked out the bike - tires/chain/air

got one last MH rib made so I can make two independent MH's rather than an extended MH.

Started freezing gallon jugs of water and made sure the 5 gal. water jugs are not leaky.

First priority though is to get ready for a dinner barbeque I am throwing this week in honor of our Interns at work that are winding down their summer.

Made motel reservations in Winnemucca and Jackpot.

Trying to keep my excitement at going in check.

And now I am going out to see if the truck still starts after what I read in the previous post.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:24 pm

I decided that sitting under an umbrella for 2 days may not be the best shade solution. I'll be there 2 days before my shade arrives. So....Sitting under 2 or 3 umbrellas will be perfect. I bought a couple of 45 degree pvc joints. 10 feet of 1½" black pvc and I'm making an umbrella tree. $12 for the plastics. The umbras slip in and out at will. I toss em in a bag under my van. The stand goes under my rear tire so it can't fall over. So easy and portable. I feel guilty fabricating more stuff when I haven't sorted, packed or panicked yet. Kay serah, serah. What ever will be, will be.

(((Fishy))), NO you are NOT on that list. Would you please correct my spelling. I don't have a french dictionary handy.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:39 pm

It's "Que Será, Será," from Spanish :)

Edit: apparently, it's from French, too, and spelled the same way but carrying no accent marks, or from Italian, spelled ""che sarà sarà."
Last edited by BoyScoutGirl on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:43 pm

Is that the same as the song? I always thought it was french. And yes they are similar.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:47 pm

The wikipedia article has a whole section devoted to the linguistic origins of the phrase. Apparently it has roots in the 16th century.

For the song in The Man Who Knew Too Much, the lyricist used the Spanish spelling.

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Forgot to add: My item for today was learning to hula hoop. Apparently it's much easier with a heavier hoop, or one that has beads or liquid in it.

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:14 pm

Sewed a fur wrap for my bike.

Fixed my utility belt.

Prepared my UPS shipment to go out to Fernley tomorrow.

Ordered another utility kilt since I was really unimpressed with the one I bought from REI which will be going back.

Worked on my alcohol tolerance.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:30 pm

Drawingablank wrote:
Worked on my alcohol tolerance.
This is the only thing I have consistently managed all year. 8)

BUT I got my stuff on the DC Container, and, am currently ordering all the stuff I am shipping to Fernley. 8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

forty_eight
Burning Since: 2013

Post by forty_eight » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:32 pm

Dug through the garage for EL wire. Found one string in a ziplock then unearthed two unfinished coats from last year with strands pinned but not sewn - and another brand new one in a pocket. I think I'll add one to a vest and another for the bike. Will still have a backup or two, not bad!

Biggest thing this week was an appointment for the car ... the 2003 Forester is getting a new clutch and replacing essential fluids for the trip!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:05 pm

Camp stuff assembled today. Mobility stuff and food later.

Electrics today: charged mobility chair, golf cart, cell phone, and the battery jump thingy with the light and cigar lighter plug. Gathered assorted cables, jumpers, wires, tire pump, radios, attachments, adapters, tablet, and toys. I have not decided yet to take my generator, inverter, solar panels, humidifier, or foot wash massager tub. If it fits, I'll put it in.(that's what she said.)

Lighting will be Coleman lanterns, propane and battery: solar garden lights for perimeter, headlamps, hand held torches, and clip-ons. Led strings for cart and chair.

Cooking will be butane backpackers stove and Coleman propane 2 burner. Bachelor utensils and pots, pans, and crockery.

Seating will be 2 director's chairs, a big boy chair, a double lounger with cooler, and 2 umbrellas.

Shelter will be 2 two room exterior frame tents, 2 carports, various tarps, covers, and panels. 2 room size carpets and canvas for flooring. Army cot, and sleep system, spare 2 man tents for closets. Small table and plastic bins. Various tools, camping and pioneer. futon and foam mattresses.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

bluemiragemi
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:30 am

Finalized my packing, everything except for fresh produce and some clothes, last night. Whew. I have lots of stuff. Bringing a nice selection of locally brewed Michigan canned beers to the playa <3

Feeling OK about prep. I've read a lot, tried to prepare best I can, I've set up a lot, logistics are sound...and if everything goes to hell I'm OK with that.

I give up on making furry booties or more EL wire gear or bringing my personal bike this year, just too much, next year. Goals for next year. :wink:
~ Em

remi

Post by remi » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:53 am

Since I'm brining 3 virgins this year, I brought them to the army & navy store to pick up nice scarves and goggles... then we went to the MEC and picked up front and rear lights for our bikes and camel backs.

We also bought a few tacktikilts online, and one of them wanted a drinking horn, and I bought a beer stein with a lid.
Can you at least admit that nuclear explosions are awesome!?

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:59 am

This thread seems to have many more posts day by day and week by week. Shit's heating up yo!
Beware teh snarkasm

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 am

And the OP never made it to the burn!!!!!!!!!! :shock:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Post by Elliot » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:16 am

Made four replacement street name signs yesterday; 5:00 & G, and 5:00 & H. Crudely hand painted on uneven scraps of plywood, but should be almost as legible as the real ones. With screws, and cordless driver with new battery. And correct bit for the screws. And charger for the battery. (Naaaaw, I don't do nails. :lol: )

JayBobBoy
Burning Since: 2002

Post by JayBobBoy » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:17 am

I got all my packing and final preparations completed this weekend so I can head out of town with the kids for a few days of fun in the Yosemite back country!

The trailer is loaded, all projects completed, costumes folded and stored in bins, new batteries in all flashlights and blinkie stuff, and lists of groceries are ready to go. Oh yeah...I also got our rooms in Reno reserved!

Now, what did I forget?
"It is all very beautiful and magical here - a quality which cannot be described. You have to live it and breath it., let the sun bake it into you" - Ansel Adams

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:44 am

Elliot wrote:Made four replacement street name signs yesterday; 5:00 & G, and 5:00 & H. Crudely hand painted on uneven scraps of plywood, but should be almost as legible as the real ones. With screws, and cordless driver with new battery. And correct bit for the screws. And charger for the battery. (Naaaaw, I don't do nails. :lol: )
This is a great idea. I have a similar item on my own list, not sure if I'll get to it.
Beware teh snarkasm

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:49 am

I unrolled the crusty old dome canopy this weekend, and hit it with a leaf blower. Got an inadvertent training session in coping with playa lung! Then went around and replaced all the bungee hangers with new ones that use carabiners instead of nylon zip ties. Less moop, less hassle to set up & tear down. I also removed the zipper from the door and replaced it with 4 bungee loops. The zipper was an incredible pain in the ass to operate - not because of the dust surprisingly enough (it was one of those huge, heavy duty zippers for boat canopies), but because the canopy always has tension on it, it's just a real pain to hold together while you do it up.

Also made a bunch of progress on my playa coat. Still don't have the lights installed but I think (I hope) that won't take an incredibly long time to do.

Beware teh snarkasm

Sunbeam56
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:05 am

I want one!!! What a gorgeous woobie!!!
Let GOOD win!

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:17 am

Sunbeam56 wrote:I want one!!! What a gorgeous woobie!!!
Why thank you! :) It was surprisingly easy to make. You'd be running short on time to start now but if you want to make one for future years it only took about a weekend worth of labor once I had all the materials, and I've never used a sewing machine before.
Beware teh snarkasm

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:24 am

Got my Early Arrival pass today. Yay.

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 11, 2014 11:05 am

Read Just_Joe's report about being able to push lag screws 4-6" inches into the playa by pushing with the palm of his hand. Am now mildly terrified.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”