Playa Conditions 2014

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Hondovious
Burning Since: 2011

Re: Playa Conditions 2014

Post by Hondovious » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:48 pm

VultureChow wrote:The lightning strike was confirmed to me by several Rangers. I also heard it was in an art car, and that the person was injured but okay. The rest of the details I don't know.
Two art cars were hit. The Mayan Warrior and the new steampunk ship whose name I cannot remember. I believe the person hit was on the warrior car. We were at 3:15 and E and two of those hits were damned close. I knew something in the city had to have been hit. Was kinda fun overall. To move around either just wear socks, or wrap your feet with trash bags. My flip flops built a 3" platform just going 12 feet!

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:27 pm

I'm assuming there were a lot of indirect hits. I was one of them. I took a load of ground current up one leg and down the other that damn near put me face down in the mud. It caused a particularly painful shock sensation at my right toes and left heel and left me with a nasty, blistering burn on the front of my right foot. That's what I get for running around camp in flip flops trying to sort shit out (our structure wasn't designed for rain and we didn't know it was coming).
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:53 pm

FossaFerox wrote:...I took a load of ground current up one leg and down the other that damn near put me face down in the mud...
Which is why the recommendation is to crouch down (to minimize the chance of a direct strike), and with your feet together, so ground current doesn't flow up one leg and down the other, where it can be tingling through to cooking or even crisping your internals.
That's one word I regret googling during breakfast.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:19 pm

Exactly zero predictions made here were accurate (0% chance of rain, highs in 80's) so I'm staying away from the 2015 version. :)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:30 pm

Hmmm
How about, 2015 Prediction: all winds below 80 mph.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
, but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:35 pm

Canoe wrote:Hmmm
How about, 2015 Prediction: all winds below 80 mph.
...except the ones that are not...
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:37 pm

Prediction = Not What We Get

Rice
Burning Since: 2007

Post by Rice » Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:23 am

I had been working a midnight to 6am shift on Monday. It had been raining on and off from about 3am. When I finished my shift it really started to come down on the city. The drive from Point 1 to the Black Hole was not very long, but our car was almost stopped by the mud - it built up on our wheels till there was about 1/2 centimeter of space left. I parked the car and slugged through the mud to our camp. At that point - the city was closed, no driving any more till it dried up. The radio call came in as we were parking...

I had originally planned on flying home for work on Tuesday. After I got to my camp I emailed work letting them know about the rain that the possibility of not making my flight. Then the lightning started... In the default world I live in a area that gets lots of thundershowers, storms, hail, snow, whatever. So, I started the flash-to-boom count. I could tell the lightning was getting closer and closer to the city. Then it was hitting the city, and shortly it seemed to be hitting outside my door. Happily I was inside my girlfriends box (a room inside a cargo shipping container), so I was not too worried about the lightning actually killing me 8) . Needless to say, I missed my flight. It took a while on Tuesday to get the dried mud (aka cement) out of the wheel-wells and off the car.

I guess the lightning struck the Commissary, a tower in the Jerk Church camp, and a couple other places around us. I helped a guy with and RV get his towing sorted out after his RV's electrical system was fried by a lightning strike.

Thanks to the storm, I was able to stay till friday morning.

There was humidity on the playa after the storm. For a couple days. the evenings seemed cooler than usual and it took a while to figure out why (yah, playa brain). By Thursday things seemed to be back to normal.

I flew home on Friday. It was like I had traveled to a different planet when I stepped out of the airport. This year's decompression from BM seemed to be a bit more harsh than usual.

This year was a weird burn over all. I have never dealt with so many people trying to sneak in.

Missing the playa... {sigh}
Love Rice

Roach: "I feel like in this day and age, every girl should know how to build a flamethrower."

Fidget
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Fidget » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:48 pm

One of our camp leaders (Treehouse Camp) was working on the Treehouse art car when it was struck Monday am. He took a pretty big load of current but was fine in the end, if not a little shaken up.
He did come out of it with a new playa name though - Bolt.
Never rub another man's rhubarb.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:37 am

I love doing the flash-boom count. We were sitting in our carport when the ones overhead got lively. Out newb actually ducked down hard on a few, when where he was, sitting up on a cooler on blocks, was the safest place. Yikes.

We only had the swamp coolers on sporadically, mostly on Friday. They simply were not effective or needed pn the humidity this year.

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:23 pm

I heard that the duck tower at Duck Pond got struck also. I love big thunderstorms and that was so completely different from anything I've ever experienced on playa...actually one of my favorite memories of the week.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

PoppyFitzgerald82
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: Camp Mayan Warrior

Post by PoppyFitzgerald82 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:28 pm

I am a part of Mayan Warrior, and it did indeed get hit by lightning. We were in the kitchen, only about 40 to 50 feet away when it was hit. I have never been so instantly terrified in my life. That was the when they shut the gates down for the day. Nobody in our camp was hurt. We decided to attach a tall lightning rod to the top of our forklift and lift it up 150 to keep it from hurting anyone.
Also, around the corner at treehouse a man was struck and thrown off the art car he was working on. I heard he was airlifted out, but in stable condition.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:06 pm

Don't get too complacent because you have an elevated "lightning rod" and you are in the safety cone. Image ImageImage

From: http://www.lightningsafety.com/nlsi_pls ... -myth.html

dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Red Tea Camp

Post by dragonpilot » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:14 pm

There's an interesting article about people who have survived lightning strikes in the October 2014 issue of Outside magazine. "Some 500 Americans are stuck every year. For those who survive, the ordeal is just beginning. Victims' neurons, movements, memories, and even personalities may be irrevocably fired."

Just sayin' it's no joke and the presence of lightning should be taken very seriously.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Fri Sep 26, 2014 4:59 pm

I would freak the fuck out myself if there was lightning while I was out in BRC. Freak the fuck out. I would hide in a vehicle for hours. I can handle the dust, wind, heat, narcs, cops, vegan bacon, shirt cockers, sand serpents, sharknados, snarkers, ravers (barely), whompers, perverts, elevation, mud pitz, bunk molly, shiddy playa cocktails, deep playa turn down for wuts, but lightning might send me into a paranoid state.

I wasnt there this year so I "missed out", I would of probably been so in awe of how trippy and still the city was I would forget about the lightning, heard about it, and then gotten super paranoid.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 26, 2014 7:13 pm

Damn, there was someone who worked at the next cubicle who was struck by lightening, before I ever met her. If the personality was changed, she lucked out, because it was pretty fucking good, and she quit work to get a masters at Davis, double major, economics and something... (ag or ecology related, I'm guessing) and then she was teaching at the Max Planck Institute. And she was good people as far as I could tell...

Kayaking on the Potomac, iirc.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”