Breastfeeding Mom

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
jessyafox
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Pretentious Fox

Breastfeeding Mom

Post by jessyafox » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:54 pm

Hello!
Any other burner mamas out there? I'm breastfeeding my 7 month old and need to figure out how to pump on playa. Anyone have experience? Did the dust damage your pump? Do you have to bring a manual pump? I'm hoping for a real answer and not any trolling please. :) Thank you!

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Re: Breastfeeding Mom

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:11 pm

If it's electric, make sure you have a power source. When you're not using it keep it wrapped up in plastic to keep the dust out. Bring a backup manual pump just in case. (I don't know anything about breast pumps, but it can't be much different than people using other medical devices out there, or electronics like laptops,etc.)
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:44 am

I dont know beans about the finer points of breastfeeding on the playa, but if you need reliable frozen storage or a place to recharge your pump, (or a cooled dome to privately nurse), we would be most happy to help. PM me please for details. We are located on 5:30 in the G/H segment and close(ish) to Kidsville.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Tue Jul 15, 2014 6:50 am

I bet no matter what you bring out there, if you have ANY sort of failure, half of Black Rock City would come to your aid. Not in a pervy way. But because in a beautiful "you are bringing your child to this challenging yet beautiful place and we want to support you" type of way.

Other than that, I think the obvious thoughts would prevail. Storing it would be my concern, unless you are doing a "pump and dump" scenario. Are you in an RV or somewhere with reliable refrigeration? Bring a backup pump or two and keep it clean at all times and I think you should be fine.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:52 am

skippy3k wrote:I bet no matter what you bring out there, if you have ANY sort of failure, half of Black Rock City would come to your aid. Not in a pervy way.
Oy, Skippy, you cannot be that naive.

I could dream up a score of classy, tasteful ways to take this to a naughty place. :twisted:

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Jul 15, 2014 8:06 am

In light of the above, let me amend my offerings: I can also bring a life-sized cut-out of Ygmir holding a baseball bat and wearing his Ultimate Grumpy Look... to keep Token away from the freezer. :mrgreen:

On a serious note, Skippy says it best for the win:
skippy3k wrote:If you have ANY sort of failure, half of Black Rock City would come to your aid. Not in a pervy way. But because in a beautiful "you are bringing your child to this challenging yet beautiful place and we want to support you" type of way.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

And what is the kid bringing to the Burn?
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

kittyrodriguez
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC-ESD Fire Camp Station 3

Post by kittyrodriguez » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm

Curious, I think I am the only female to respond so far... :lol:

Is your baby going with you? If not, here is my advice. I would assume that the pumping is more to ensure milk flow remains the same. To be honest, if you can bear it, I would be prepared to dispose of the milk you pump. First, sanitation will be a major issue. Keeping all of the components clean and sanitized will difficult. Not impossible, but with an infant involved, it could be risky. Also, storage can be tricky, even with lots of kind offers, things happen. Second, your body will be taxed. Even if you take it very easy. Good nutrition can be overlooked and you need to consider that the milk you produce may not be at its best.

That being said, if you are bringing your infant, or if you must store the milk you pump, I suggest the following:

Bring your manual pump. Electric pumps are expensive and sensitive, and playa dust will be in everything. If you must bring your electric one, you can make it happen with careful protection, but why risk it if you have a manual pump.

Bring as much as possible. Disposable if you can. Those bags that you can seal and freeze are awesome. That way you don't have to worry about sanitizing bottles. If you are just storing, then you don't have to worry about sanitizing nipples. That just leaves the shields and tubes to be sanitized. Find out what type of facility you will access to. Is there a kitchen and sink and soap? If not, be prepared to mix your own sanitizing solution (google it) and also be prepared to haul out your water, in case you don't have an evap pond.

Most importantly WATCH OUT FOR YOURSELF!!! You will be more susceptible to dehydration than most. Not only must you hydrate your own body, you must double hydrate to compensate for what your milk takes. Take vitamins. Even if you normally don't, start now to get used to them. You will need all the vitamins and minerals you can get. And electrolytes with your hydration.

*Okay, guys avert your eyes* Bring moisturizer. Whether its bag balm or nipple cream or lanolin or whatever you use. Bring lots. Your skin will be dry, and cracked nipples in the desert are surely their own special type of hell.

So, in summation, things will be a little tricky, but definitely doable, and worth it. Just be prepared. I hope this helps.

bluemiragemi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Post by bluemiragemi » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:06 pm

I have nothing to add, just that, Kitty you're awesome for giving so much great information/opinion/advice.
~ Em

jneilvindy
Burning Since: 2014

Post by jneilvindy » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:15 pm

So guys.... raisin bran or cinnamon toast crunch??

jessyafox
Camp Name: Pretentious Fox

Post by jessyafox » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:42 am

[quote="kittyrodriguez"]Curious, I think I am the only female to respond so far... :lol:

Thank you everyone!

I won't be bringing baby. This is a little time for mom and dad. :) She'll be at home safe in her crib with her grandparents.

I will probably end up pumping and dumping, but I was hoping for the last day or two to be able to take things home as long as I keep them packed solidly on ice. The wrapping in plastic is a good call, I'll make sure to bring some plastic, as well as rinsing out. We have a very big camp with an evapotron and pond, so I think we're set there! I have an extra donated electric pump, so I think that if things don't work out well I'll just sacrifice it to the playa and share with others in the future.

Nipple balm is probably a good idea as well. :)

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:58 am

kittyrodriguez wrote:Curious, I think I am the only female to respond so far... :lol:
Obviously, you don't keep up with politics or you would have known that men know what's better for women than women do. :shock: :coffee: :wink:
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:36 am

As a former breast feeding counselor I agree with everything Kitty said. I'd pump and dump too (as heartbreaking as that is). And make sure you're drinking much more than you think you should.

Also, be prepared to have a supply dip. Pumps are not as efficient at draining the milk as a baby is, and your body will get the signals to make less. A few days back with baby should rectify this. I'd suggest making sure you bring and eat things like oatmeal, milk stout beer, fenugreek etc to promote supply. Also pump fully, till you are empty, not just to relieve engorgement.

Good luck!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:20 am

Pump and dump???

It's the playa!!!

Make ice cream!!!!!!!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999