Need help with physics/art

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Yulzie
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Spicy Krunchy

Need help with physics/art

Post by Yulzie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:18 pm

Hi Guys!
I'm new to eplaya....so I am not sure if this is the place to post pleas for assistance.....
So if I should repost this somewhere else, please let me know!
Anyway!!

I am in the process of building my very first art installation for the playa : )
I am super excited.
Its going to be a small art installation featuring the poetry of Bronisława Wajs, a Romani Poet burned into wood. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bronis%C5%82awa_Wajs)

Basically.....the installation will consist of...sort of like a few frames with the wood burned pieces on them, connected by chain.

Since I am doing a terrible job explaining it, here is a drawing of one frame which would hold one poem.
https://31.media.tumblr.com/2e43076ea5a ... o1_500.jpg

I also know that we are allowed to dig up to a 3foot deep/1 foot across hole in the playa.

Right now i am thinking I will
prep by drilling into the length of my 4x4
dig a 3 foot deep hole on the playa
insert rebard/metal pole 3 feet deep
slide the 4x4 on top of it (through the pre drilled hole, although Im not sure how deep it can really go. maybe a foot max?)

So, assuming I dig my 4x4 frame pieces 3 feet into the ground, how high can I safely make the frame go without adding any rope or tie off points?

I really dont want the whole thing to get wrecked and blown away.

As a side note....this will be my 8th burn so I am familiar with the weather patterns and the winds...but its my first year doing an art installation so I am freaking like a first time burner

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Need help with physics/art

Post by trilobyte » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm moving this to the general Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general preparation questions (where the Art & Performance board would be a great place to announce/post pics and updates about the project).

You may want to start by reading this section of the Burning Man site, and then contacting the ARTery about securing your project.

Speaking personally, regardless of how you get that anchored it seems like it's going to take a severe beating. Thin sheets of plywood tethered by a chain on just one end will get blown all over. You may want to consider chaining at the sides as well.

Yulzie

Post by Yulzie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:50 pm

Thanks.
I was going to connect it on the bottom with some clear fishing line it doesn't blow around all over the place but will still have some give.
I checked out the site, and I actually have a friend with the artery, and he told me I should post here for advice.

Basically...some people I talked to think I should have rebar and guidewirea because a wooden frame will just get ripped out of the ground. I don't want to so that though because I think it will be less visually pleasing...

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:00 pm

Any option that doesn't include digging three foot deep holes in the playa would be good.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Yulzie

Post by Yulzie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:06 pm

Why no 3 foot holes? Aside from the fact that digging them will reaaally suck. I thought digging it in would be the best way to secure it

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jul 31, 2014 2:48 pm

This is direct from Burningman.com:
"Do not excavate holes in the playa. Small holes (6 inches or less in diameter & less than 2 feet deep) used for structural support are the sole exception. When digging such a hole it is best to use an auger or a posthole digger, NOT a shovel. Bag the dirt you are removing so that it does not blow away in the wind. Refill the hole by carefully tamping the soil back into place. Repeat this process every few inches while dampening the soil. An inverted sledgehammer works well. Experience has shown that the larger holes easily erode within a year’s time, even when carefully backfilled. They leave a visible mark and create a serious safety hazard to drivers throughout the rest of the year."

http://www.burningman.com/preparation/e ... 9q3hdm9LCQ
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."
Delle: Singularly we may be dysfunctional misfits, but together we're magic.

Yulzie

Post by Yulzie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:04 pm

Unless it's art http://www.burningman.com/installations ... lines.html

Third bullet point reads to prevent irreparable environmental damage, no holes larger than three feet by one foot in either direction may be dug in the playa floor. If you do need to dig a hole up to this size, you will need to keep the playa in a container, so you can pack it back into the hole when dismantling your installation. If you need help securing your structure, please contact the ARTery, and we can help you with alternative solutions.

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Post by Just_Joe » Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:29 pm

Screw braces onto the 4x4's and anchor the braces to playa with rebar.

WIth the plywood, maintain your aesthetics by chaining to the ground, or just hanging a heavy enough length to the bottom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:51 pm

agreed, it changes the aesthetics a bit but it saves you no end of hassle. don't excavate at all
make braces and attach to the playa with rebar or long lag screws

[attachment=0]Capture.JPG[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:52 am

Just because you're allowed to do it doesn't mean you should. With how dry the winters have been the playa is losing its ability to repair itself and deep holes don't heal under the best of circumstances. Please build a base. It's sturdier and less dickish.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Gunslinger

Post by Gunslinger » Mon Aug 04, 2014 12:36 pm

FossaFerox wrote:Just because you're allowed to do it doesn't mean you should. With how dry the winters have been the playa is losing its ability to repair itself and deep holes don't heal under the best of circumstances. Please build a base. It's sturdier and less dickish.
and you could even make the base part of the artwork by adapting the design some, I've enjoying sitting, chilling in the shade etc on some artwork bases and it was cool to have it there.

firepoet

Post by firepoet » Mon Aug 04, 2014 9:03 pm

Depending on conditions digging on the playa is like digging in concrete. I have used triangle braces with good results and saved days of installation time. If you keep the design check with artery... you might be able to schedule a post hole digger.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”