Vinegar/Water Wash For Body Parts... ?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Vinegar/Water Wash For Body Parts... ?

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:41 pm

With regards to using vinegar to neutralize the alkaline dust on ones hands and feet, what would be the ratio of vinegar to water, i.e. How many fluid ounces of vinegar to one gallon of water?
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Elliot
Burning Since: 2006

Re: Vinegar/Water Wash For Body Parts... ?

Post by Elliot » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:45 pm

Perhaps somebody has a number for us, but I always just "splash a bit of" vinegar in the basin. In other words, don't panic if we don't get a scientific answer.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:46 pm

I don't think it's that critical. I just pour some in to a spray bottle and fill it up with water. I've also used straight vinegar and it works fine.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:21 pm

The amount of alkali you are trying to neutralize is very small. It doesnt take much vinegar at all.- a couple of capfuls in a quart of water is generally plenty. Use more if you want to smell like a salad. :mrgreen:

Note that IF you are a chemistry buff there are far better choices than vinegar, but vinegar works well enough and is generally pretty safe. And seriously, nobody will be doing a sniff test on you after Greeters anyway. :mrgreen:
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 01, 2014 5:28 pm

How many croutons should I add to the mix?

Don't forget the olive oil after the vinegar.

I put a splash of vinegar in a squirt bottle with water, mark the bottle, and use that. I also have a can of aerosol olive oil to spray down my hands and feet after cleaning.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:42 pm

And how long should the flesh marinate? Overnight?
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

TT120

Post by TT120 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:00 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:And how long should the flesh marinate? Overnight?
A week!
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Cassidy9
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Cassidy9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:14 pm

Alright, you salad geeks... How about the ratio for Witch Hazel to H2O?? I'm mixing some up tonite for a test, using my "scientific" "splash" (i.e. a capful or two) per quart/liter ratio I used for vinegar+H2O in previous years. I heard WH smells less. Good for me, since I'm a carnivore. :twisted: I'll be using it to clean off one of my totes covered in 2012 dust...

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:17 pm

Tucks butt pads are 50% WH.

Cassidy9

Post by Cassidy9 » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:25 pm

Ok, I sprayed the tote inside & out, no rinsing. I used about two Tbsp WH in about 30oz H2O. I sprayed it in a fine mist that rinsed downward as I applied more. It smelled a bit while it was wet, like something I can't describe. I used the whole bottle & only a very thin film was left after it dried. Anyway, one paper towel cleaned the film off both inside & out, so much so that it is something I'm comfortable putting my clean undergarments in. I can't even detect a smell after it dried. Not sure how this would translate to skin, but it seems to work pretty good getting the dust off plastic. I, personally, have only used vinegar/water mix as a nightly rinse for my skin, since I'm sensitive to just about everything. This year I'll try the WH mix on everything but my face. I have (pre-tested) super-gentle baby wipes for the "sensitive" areas. Hope this was helpful in some way. :)

FossaFerox
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:35 am

I do lemon juice 1:3 with water for my spray bottle. Works great and smells a lot nicer.
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:24 pm

My barber uses BayRum which has WH in it. Ahhh, that fresh haircut aroma, smells like Victory. :coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

kpsf1964
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Strangelove

Post by kpsf1964 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:56 pm

We used about 1 part white vinegar to 1 part aloe to about 4 parts water.

It had a strong initial pong to it but that evaporated almost as quickly as the liquid, and everyone in camp swore by it. Other than some bloody cuticles from working without gloves on and off for the first day, my hands and feet weathered this Burn better than any previously. The spray, used liberally and frequently, worked wonders.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:11 pm

Vinegar/water body washing seems like both a hassle and wasteful. I recommend just doing the playa foot salad method. You'll need a basin (dishwashing tub works great), washcloth, bottle of vinegar and bottle of olive oil. Soak the wash cloth in vinegar and then use it to wash your hands and feet. Once that's done, pour some olive oil into your hands and massage it into your hands and feet. The vinegar neutralizes the dust in the areas that need it, and the olive oil then counters the vinegar, acts as a moisturizer, and feels really good. If you've got some other part that feels a the sting of too much playa, a little vinegar in a washcloth will neutralize it.

Those looking for an even deeper de-playafication ritual... eat a pickle. The juice and brine are acidic, and will sweat out your pores a few hours later - neutralizing the dust and making you feel refreshed. For bonus points, pickles are a great source of electrolytes.

elKay
Burning Since: 2011

Post by elKay » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:35 pm

I will never forget when, on the first day of my first burn, my hands were cracked and stinging from setting up camp. I poured lemon juice on them (over a bowl) and was amazed that it felt soothing like it was milk. Smelled way better than vinegar too.

RedHeaven
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:40 am

I must be missing black rock city if Im daydreaming of spraying dust off my feet with a vinegar mister while eating pickles....

TT120

Post by TT120 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 8:55 am

RedHeaven wrote:I must be missing black rock city if Im daydreaming of spraying dust off my feet with a vinegar mister while eating pickles....
Wrapped in bacon.....

W6BJD

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:01 am

Those skin tight rubbery garden gloves are a must out there for setting up and avoiding playa hand! Sometimes i keep them on!!

RedHeaven

Post by RedHeaven » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:09 am

TT120 wrote:
RedHeaven wrote:I must be missing black rock city if Im daydreaming of spraying dust off my feet with a vinegar mister while eating pickles....
Wrapped in bacon.....
while listening to FREEBIRD and TURN DOWN FOR WUT....

Ratty
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Sep 11, 2014 9:26 am

I learned a new trick this year from Abba Zabba. She put some vinegar concoction in a 2 or 2½ gal zip-lock bag. After washing she puts her feet in the bag. (One at a time). She used that bag of vinegar all week. When I saw how quick and easy that was, I poured my vinegar in a bag too. Actually I double bagged it. Here in the default world it sounds needless. On the playa, simple solutions are King.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:54 am

Thanks to the advice y'all gave me, my feet and hands left the Playa in as good of a condition as they were when they arrived.

I filled a small plastic basin with a water/vinegar solution at the beginning and washed my feet and hands twice a day. It was rather nice to slide into my sleeping bag with clean feet.

No shrimp growing on me......
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:10 pm

Having the handwash station was fabulous, but I had to warn one campmate about overwashing her hands without moisturizing afterwards. Even if your hands are clean, the dryness can get at them.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”