Harrassed at gate for bringing child with no ID

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
stuart

Post by stuart » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:12 pm

Fuck Off
call me baby

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:13 pm

sOuNdS LiKe tHe sAmE *%sHoLe tHaT cAmE uP bEhInD mE aS oUr cAr wAs bEiNg sEaRcHeD aNd gRaBbEd mY tIts. gOt a wIcKeD pUnCh tO tHe cRoTcH fOr hIs eFfOrT
Like I'm gonna toss precious moments of my life away to read this.

.. / -- . .- -. --..-- / .--- . ... ..- ... / -.-. .... .-. .. ... - .-.-.- / .-- .... -.-- / -. --- - / .--- ..- ... - / .-- .-. .. - . / -.-- --- ..- .-. / .-. . .--. .-.. .. . ... / .. -. / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / .-. .- - .... . .-. / - .... .- -. / - .... . / ..-. .- ..- -..- / .- .-. - -.-- / -... ..- .-.. .-.. ... .... .. - .-.-.- .-.-.- .-.-.- / ... -. --- .-. . .-.-.-
Desert dogs drink deep.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Wed Oct 06, 2004 7:21 pm

I'm totally with uBeRpLaYa. Direct action Hothead Paisan style is where it's at.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:40 pm

http://www.lightwave.soton.ac.uk/resour ... secode.php

Badger I couldn't resist decoding your message... I liked the faux arty part best. HoW cAn AnBoDyTyPe LiKe ThIs AnYwAy AnD StAy SaNe?? No offense uBeRpLaYa but it IS strange to read...and dang If I get started it messes up All my TyPinG!!
Burning Man 2003-19; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

TheJudge

Post by TheJudge » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:30 am

Bob wrote:I'm totally with uBeRpLaYa. Direct action Hothead Paisan style is where it's at.
I'm inclined to think that the event never happened. I work the gate almost every day of the event and usually the week before the event (until they force me to take a day off) and I cant imagine someone from the gate staff even having the time to cop a feel. If necessary, I'm sure there are plenty of female gate staffers that would happily volunteer for a grope or two. No need to go outside the family for something as stupid as that.
"Be at one with the dust of the earth. This is primal union." - Lao Tsu

sparkletarte

~

Post by sparkletarte » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:10 am

Oh thanks Badger. I've just been passing over her posts wondering whether to say something. What's up art school girl?

Bob I like your theme camp listing. I'll take Camp Sorority Boys for next year.

hipifish

Post by hipifish » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:27 am

You really sucked, you know....After almost two months...Fucking theme campers.
you kids are funny. unfortunately, i didn't suck anyone this year. damnit2hell. working on that tho. yeah, sometimes i'm a bit slow to getting around to things. probably have too much on my plate and other things take priority. but hey, i'm finally getting my playa lay in a couple of days so i imagine by the time next year rolls around, this little bit of entertainment that is allowing me to connect with so many burners will be put to bed too. interesting how the rush to complete comes creeping in so soon upon returning from the playa. and yes, please fuck those fucking theme campers. all of 'em. :twisted: i bet they would like a hug and TiTTiE GrAb If YoU aSkEd ReAl NiCe ToO.

and here is a last little tidbit i pulled off my fucking theme camp board this fucking morning that made me fucking giggle:
>I've had moments where I was compelled to consult
>every reference source for increasingly more synonyms for the
>word hedonistic in my attempts to describe the way HeeBees
>commune.

this is a classic quote. it made me snort milk out of my nose, and i wasn't
even drinking milk.

and as i look up "hedonism" in my dictionary, what should the next word be
but... "heebie jeebies."

hedonism-- the doctrine that pleasure is the sole or chief good in life and
that moral duty is fulfilled in the gratification of pleasure-seeking
instincts and dispositions.

heebie jeebies-- slang. jitters; also delirium tremens.

the hedonism of the heebees is the perfect antidote to the joyless,
sphincter-clenching quest for purity one sometimes encounters amongst those
involved in healing.
yeah, i'm from one of those fucking theme camps where people have to wait in line all day. could be because the list priority is dpw, bmorgstaff/volunteers, city builders/organizers/workers, injured (which usually encompass the above) , heebies and then the drugged out kiddies can step up to the line. fuck those heebies and all the other theme camps too. hahahaha. you kids are a bunch of freaks & i think i like it.

Ridge

"If you are not pissing someone off, you are not doing a good job" ~F. McCampbell

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:39 am

Tiahaar wrote: HoW cAn AnBoDyTyPe LiKe ThIs AnYwAy AnD StAy SaNe??
Looks like a lot of trouble to make one's posts incomprehensible. Or at least unreadable. Of course, I never liked Wired Magazine either. one day i'll go sucumb to my german roots and go totally bauhaus on your asses. moholy-nagy forever!

angelface

Post by angelface » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:31 pm

random thought

so even if you did have a birth certificte for a child, how would anyone know if the kid was actually the one listed on the birth certificate? I have a sister that's 18 months younger than me, my parents could have used hers to make me younger, it's not like they have pictures on them...

/end random thought

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:34 pm

angelface wrote:random thought

so even if you did have a birth certificte for a child, how would anyone know if the kid was actually the one listed on the birth certificate? I have a sister that's 18 months younger than me, my parents could have used hers to make me younger, it's not like they have pictures on them...

/end random thought

/\
Yes, Most burers are low down crooks.
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:36 pm

burners

angelface

Post by angelface » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:55 pm

Not saying burners are crooks, but if they don't trust you to not lie about a child's age, why would they trust that the birth certificate is legit? It was just a random thought anyway, not really meant to be specific to this situation. I think if they want ID for a kid it should be clear when you buy your ticket, so a parent has some time to prepare for getting a picture ID of some kind for their child... Most kids under highschool age just don't have a picture ID unless their parents have gone out of their way to get them one...

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:30 pm

We have already gone over the part where some one posted what it reads in the guide to BM. Yes it is in print.

When mine were little I wrote thiar name on thair arms. To make it even I would have to write my name on my arm. We have come a long way. Children should have curent photo id and it should be recorded. To many kids are gone in a flash. It would be good thing for a parent to have a child photo I.D.ed. The parent should have a copy just in case they need to show other what the kid looks like. In most cases time is important.

angelface

Post by angelface » Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:48 pm

Sorry, but my impression from reading this thread was that the website was not clear, and even had conflicting information, about the age cut-off and the need for ID for children attending the event. If a picture ID is needed (something still not common for young kids, as far as I know) it needs to be posted where a person purchasing tickets is going to see it. A birth certificate is still not picture ID, and again, if someone is going to lie about their childs age, what's to stop them from bringing an altered birth certificate?

I do agree that parents should always have a recent photo of their child available in case something happens to them. I think if I did have kids, especially at burning man, I'd write their name and camp address on them too. I've had trouble finding my way back to camp more than once, even sober, even during the day.. it's easy to get turned around out there, especially back a few blocks from the Esplanade.

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:28 pm

I believe where it was listed on the webite, it said "ID required." Not "photo ID required." You can find Bob's cite and link if you go back though this thread.

A birth certificate has a lot of loopholes; I believe I've already mentioned this. ButIMO, if it's good enough for the DMV (the realworld DMV, that is) then I think it's be good enough for Burning Man. It's miles above using a child's teeth as evidence of their age.

If you really wanted to scam with a birth certificate, there are hundreds of ways to do it. I can think of no less than 5 just sitting here right now. Give me an hour and I could probably come up with 50 more.

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:39 pm

Ivy is one of those low down crooks that go to Burning Man.RiGhT

uBeRpLaYa

Post by uBeRpLaYa » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:28 pm

OK How is this? There is still NO excuse for people who, although they are volunteers, but technically are acting as employees of an LLC, and the corporation could be held liable in a court of law, to grab my tits without an invitation. That BOYS, is sexual assault. Did I get his name, no. Did I want to prosecute, not at the time but after I thought about it, I should have. I spent the next six days looking out the corner of my eyes for him and went nowhere near the gate until leaving on Monday. I am really glad my boyfriend chose to contain his temper. As to asking for an ID of a child who may or not be 13, a VOLUNTEER who has no REAL authority should take a persons word for the age, blow it off, and go on tho the next person in line. If they lied about the age of the child, it is there kharma that will suffer.

uBeRpLaYa

Post by uBeRpLaYa » Thu Oct 07, 2004 6:33 pm

aNd I aM dOnE wItH tHiS dIsCusSiOn, I aM cOnSiDeRiNg iT wAtEr uNdEr tHe bRiDgE aNd a LeSsOn LeArNeD

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:25 pm

Let's face it, the whole thing is the fault of the Bush Administration. I have it on shaky authority that the gate staff was ordered to be extra vigilant for terrorist dwarfs who might attempt to infiltrate burningman disguised as average (well, "burner" average) American kids. They would have replaced the real children with imposters and so the adults would never know. Also, there was a bulletin that they may also come disguised as women, which is probably the reason for the breast check.

Oh, and the extra playa dust this year ... you guessed it ... Bush Administration again. They were attempting to close the event down by creating rumors of a mysterious powdery substance and causing a panic for the exits. Seems the burners just donned masks and lived with it. The secret task force was headed by Dan Quayle and he is reported to have last been seen muttering "drat!" or some other words of frustration as he wobbled away fidgeting with a couple of steel balls in his hand.

Meanwhile, Bill Clinton was seen taking the whole thing in and shaking his head saying something like "why didn't WE think of the breast check thing?" to Al Gore who was busy filling out his patent application for IP address 0.0.0.0/0
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

geekster

Post by geekster » Thu Oct 07, 2004 7:26 pm

I *KNEW* there was a way I could work politics into this thread!

GuinivereElise

Post by GuinivereElise » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:44 am

Geekster,

You.

Crack me up.

Excellent wit, my friend.

hipifish

Post by hipifish » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:57 am

the gate staff was ordered to be extra vigilant for terrorist dwarfs who might attempt to infiltrate burningman disguised as average (well, "burner" average) American kids.........

I aM dOnE--aNd a LeSsOn LeArNeD....

You can find Bob's cite and link if you go back though this thread.....
Ivy is -- low...

If they lied about the age of the child, it is there kharma that will suffer.
Oh Geekster how you made me giggle. Fucking thank you *note author puts in attention grabbing verbage to wake up the bored and piss off those who hate long dribbling posts...hehehe why you still reading if you don't like long post?* thank you thank you for weaving politics into this thread. PeRfEcT iNdEed. and just to note, we call the little conspiring, alien, dirty, clown, whining, candy-eating rugrats MIDGETS where i come from and not dwarfs.

Ms UbErPlAyA...you chat away as much as you wanna. There are all kinds of people out there who will throw you all kinds of lessons. Be on your path & remember to keep your voice & make it known what your intentions are lest you be sucked into the mundane rut of the status quo for fear of being attacked or ridiculed.

Ivy oh Ivy~ i see your posts elsewhere and am not quite sure why you choose such an adverserial position here, but it is apparent...what's that about? LIFE is too short to be throwing out so many angry comments. You mentioned that Bob found where it says kiddies 12+ need ID and ticket. Sistergirl, if your memory serves you well, you might recall that PapaBear emailed someone regarding the fact that conflicting information is listed on the bmsite. If you choose politics, how about giving several views from different angles rather than just one? What do you think the result might then be? You wake up with yourself each morning. How's that working for you in your everyday relationships?

And karma..what's that? (poke, poke).

You guys keep this up and I'm gonna actually head over to the bar & see if Tisha2 will serve me up some good spirits in preparation for fantabulousPartyHO decom festivities this evening where my daughter will *not* be required ID, granted everybody knows her cause she's apart of this wonderful tribe tho. Fucking good phriday to you all.
dustUPyerNOSE-Ridge

Ivy

Post by Ivy » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:19 am

Sistergirl, if your memory serves you well, you might recall that PapaBear emailed someone regarding the fact that conflicting information is listed on the bmsite.
Yes, but that's not what this particular conversation was about. Angelface kept referring to there being a need for photo ID, I was only clarifying that there was never a need for a photo on the ID in the spot on the website where it was requested.

Please don't ever call me "sister" or "girl" again, as I am neither.

In fact, I'd prefer it if you didn't call me at all.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:20 am

uBeRpLaYa wrote:\That BOYS, is sexual assault. Did I get his name, no. Did I want to prosecute, not at the time but after I thought about it, I should have. I spent the next six days looking out the corner of my eyes for him and went nowhere near the gate until leaving on Monday.
I would just like to remind everyone that there IS cousilling available on the playa by trained mental health professionals. You can get hold of them through the Emergency Services Department (and probably the RAngers), they can be paged so this painful private business is NOT broadcast over the radios for everyone to hear. If something like this happens to you or anyone in your camp or your neighborhood--seriously consider this. The leader of the team is a woman--as are other team members, and that can be a big consideration in cases like this. Ultimately it's your choice. But better to make the choice not to talk to someone than never to know it's possible.

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Oct 08, 2004 9:55 am

Just wanted to take a moment to say that I DON'T think physical abuse is funny (unless you are abusing a clown) BUT, eplaya is probably NOT the place to get something like this resolved. At the very least if a person feels they were abused by staff or a volunteer they should contact BMorg and pass along the details. It also makes it VERY DIFFICULT to do a proper investigation when details are being spread all over the Internet.

NOTHING WILL GET RESOLVED ON EPLAYA. YOU NEED TO TAKE IT TO THE PEOPLE THAT CAN DO SOMETHING. THIS IS JUST A WEB PAGE. WEB PAGES CAN'T HELP YOU. YOU NEED TO TALK TO A PERSON THAT IS IN A POSITION TO INVESTIGATE.

The people that can really help you are going to need real information like your ReAl NaMe, the date/time you entered BRC, a description of the person(s), etc. The reason I made light of this thread is that it is just pissing in the wind, really. Sure, it is nice to let off steam and to tell people to be careful BUT that is about the extent of the utility and if you are expecting anything more from this forum, you are deluding yourself.

If you were abused, DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. Otherwise there is no way to distinguish between a legitimate case of criminal activity and someone that just has an axe to grind.

IF YOU EXPERIANCED AN ASSAULT, REPORT IT!!!! TO A REAL PERSON WITH REAL INFORMATION SO A REAL INVESTIGATION CAN BE DONE SO NOBODY ELSE EXPERIANCES THE SAME THING AT THE HANDS OF THE SAME PERSON.

Chances are good that a person that is going to do such a thing isn't going to single out just YOU. They probably did the same thing to others. No one individual may have enough information to peg the perp but if enough people come forward it might be enough to show that all incidents happened when this one particular person was working the gate and that particular person also fits the general description. BUT DON'T DO THAT HERE. Report it to the org. WE CAN'T POSSIBLY DO ANYTHING ABOUT IT. The org possibly can.

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:21 am

GuinivereElise wrote: You.

Crack me up.
Well, I am glad I was able to create a smile. My favorite kind of art. And they look especially nice on you ;)

GuinivereElise

Post by GuinivereElise » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:41 am

Well, I am glad I was able to create a smile. My favorite kind of art. And they look especially nice on you
Tee hee!

And now, back to the topic...

Simply Joel

Post by Simply Joel » Fri Oct 08, 2004 11:39 am

hey, keep your breastses away from my hands.

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Fri Oct 08, 2004 1:56 pm

geekster wrote:The secret task force was headed by Dan Quayle and he is reported to have last been seen muttering "drat!" or some other words of frustration as he wobbled away fidgeting with a couple of steel balls in his hand.
I heard him muttering "potatoe" under his breath when he passed me.
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”