Not Getting Sick/Getting Well Quickly - tips?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
bluemiragemi
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Pretty Pickle

Not Getting Sick/Getting Well Quickly - tips?

Post by bluemiragemi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:04 am

This is kind of OT, but at the same time, I can't think of anything I need MORE right now than to get well before travelling and being in the desert for a week.

I'm trying everything I can think of to get over this cold/respiratory crap before I leave on Monday. Any additional ideas, tricks, ceremonies, magic, medicine - suggestions?

Using Dayquil/nasal spray. Taking Echinacea/goldenseal, elderberry, ginger, garlic, homemade broth/soup, Emergen-C...

Oh and today when I'm done with work, I'm going to sleep. A lot.

Sigh.
~ Em

skippy3k
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Re: Not Getting Sick/Getting Well Quickly - tips?

Post by skippy3k » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:05 am

Playa dust. That will dry anything out.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:54 am

bluemiragemi wrote:...
Oh and today when I'm done with work, I'm going to sleep. A lot...
That would be my recommendation. If you're still miserable on Sunday/whenever you were going to Gate, you might want to be mentally prepared to spend an extra night before you head to the playa in Reno, just relaxing from your journey. Don't let it stress you out; you want to go into the burn well-rested.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Post by shroom » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:58 am

If you haven't gone to the doctor to make sure it's not a sinus infection I would do that. I'm prone to those and a round of antibiotics knocks them out. If it's not an infection keep doing what you're doing, meds, rest, good food.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 am

get a liquid herb called Lobelia , clears all blockages and good for the lungs . Take only recommened dose , very strong stuff.
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

cherryblossom73
Burning Since: 2012

Post by cherryblossom73 » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:06 am

Hey Em!!!

Have you tried a neti pot? I hate it, but sometimes it's the only thing that works. We actually bring one to the playa too. It's nice for re-hydrating the nasal passages every few days.

Definitely get as much rest as possible, and no stressing...that makes it worse too...

See you in the dust in less than a week!!!!

FossaFerox
Camp Name: Vinyl Bunker

Post by FossaFerox » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:24 am

Neti pots are a crap shoot for me. They'll clear out my sinuses, but half the time they'll turn an upper respiratory infection into a full blown sinus infection that gets much worse very quickly in the 12 hours after use. And yes, I keep mine clean and use sterile water/salts. It just has a tendency to force the bacteria that's already there into my sinuses for whatever reason.

The one you're missing from your equation is zinc and lots of extra fluids. Zinc is one of the few things proven to limit the spread of upper respiratory viruses, lozenges (like Cold-EEZE) that you suck on are best. And extra fluids are essential for an effective immune system. Best of luck!
ygmir wrote:Everyone loves you there, and no one cares a shit about you..........all at once. and vice versa.

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:41 am

HI!!!!

YAY thank you all for the uber helpful suggestions.

I shall go get some Lobelia and zinc. And sleep. There is zinc in the Emergen-C but I figure it can't hurt to have more.

I am using my neti pot. I agree that for me, it can go one of both ways (sinus infection or cleansing). So far so good on that front. My plan is to go in on Wednesday if I don't get better, to ensure it's not an infection that requires antibiotics. Antibiotics are probably the one thing I really need from here, and not on the playa.
~ Em

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:55 am

Fossa gets my vote again !

But in truth what you are describing has some years started in me
I get so revved up that i feel ill

I believe that the one thing you ought to do is stay in bed and do nothing until you stop
at first your body will rebel with counter signals of multitasking

BUT when that stops and you actually rest ..you will be well

xoA.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:09 am

I never use goldenseal or echinacea. I have seasonal allergies, and those two herbs aggravate my symptoms. This does not apply to everyone, but if you have hay fever or grass/pollen allergies, consider cutting back on those and see if your congestion/runny nose ease off.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:01 am

One question along the lines of AntiM's - have you tried allergy medicine like Zyrtec D or Claratin D? My allergies are horrible right now, and feel a lot like a cold - stuffy nose, sore throat, tiredness, but the Zyrtec D helps get them under control (doesn't get rid of them, but gets rid of the worst symptoms).
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Eric ShutterSlut
Former Ass't Editor & columnist, BRC Weekly

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:09 pm

Thanks AntiM and Eric! I did take an allergy med yesterday, but not yet today. I'll try that when I get home. Zina, Lobelia and Allergy Meds. I thought it was allergies at first, then it went crazy on me. Yarrrrr. Appreciate the helpful advice :P
~ Em

LowePro

Post by LowePro » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:41 pm

My rec is to alternate the Zinc and Emergen-C. They (the all-knowing "They") say something about vitamin C interrupting the absorption of Zinc, so I always space them apart a few hours when I'm fighting a cold.

And try not to get stressed, that's the worst for your immune system.

MFOB
Camp Name: Camp Hot Mayo

Post by MFOB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:55 pm

I went to a doc once and asked how he didnt get sick all the time. He said he does, but he combats it and told me his secret.

Ive tried it numerous times and it works wonders. No shit, make a cold go from a week to a day or two at most and after your already sick, it will ease the symptoms and youll get better faster.

Vitamin C - Not tiny Emergen-C Packs or the like,. 1,000mg tablets. Lots of them. He said a person can eat only so much Vit C until they start emitting liquid from the hind end, but that limit is like 40,000- 50,000mg a day.

Therefore I eat as many Vit C tabs as I can handle. Im talking about 10-15 with breakfast 10-15 at Lunch 10-15 at dinner. Thats 30,000-45,000 mg of Vit C (Comparable is 30-45 Emergen-C's). I cant recomend a certain amount, I know that this much works for me and I stay "solid". "You have to find your limit" he told me, eat as many as you can until you squirt, then back off about 5000 mg.

I swear by this, it works unfuckingbelievably well. I have a 2 year old shit/germ factory and she brings home all kinds of nasty shit. Whenever I see it, feel it, hear about it, I start poppin pills and before I was sick for a week or 10 days, now, a little sniffle and a bit stuffy for a day. The only downfall is that eating 15 horse pills each time of vit c is tough, lots of water to wash them down, I slug two at a time. Try it, youll be A-OK before the burn start or before you even leave.
These angles are all fenced up!

bluemiragemi

Post by bluemiragemi » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:35 am

I feel like I have an arsenal.

First off, Lobelia is the SHIT omg I've been expelling/coughing/getting it out since I started taking it yesterday evening. Thanks, Fossa! Whoa.

I got Zinc tablets and Vitamin C tablets with rose hips.

I shall up the C accordingly and see how much I can stand lol.

BE GONE, NASTY COLD!

thanks guys <3 <3 <3
~ Em

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:13 am

Though Vitamin C is water soluble, you don't want to eat so much that it overaffects your kidneys or interferes with other vitamins.

Other stuff to look into: super B complex, magnesium (go for magnesium citrate or some other high absorbing kind), vitamin D (don't overload, and you don't need as much at BM), and fish oil. I'm definitely bringing super B complex and magnesium to the burn. The latter is very helpful for relaxing sore muscles, and the former is always good to keep up. All of these are available at Costco.

And of course: sleep. Sleeping 7.5 hours a day is supposed to be what you get.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

tatonka
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by tatonka » Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:00 pm

dont take to much of the lobelia , it removes blockages so if ya take to much you will get the runs .
Tales told
Of battles won
Of things we've done
Caligula would grin

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”