What did you learn this year?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Martiansky
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: --->Hushville

Re: What did you learn this year?

Post by Martiansky » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:40 pm

tatonka wrote:I need a electric trike , by the time I bike anywhere or hike im pooped . So I need transport so I be refreshed as I arrive to any situation :)
I second this Tatonka.
I tried walking around a bit and that didnt get me far. Sore feet and ankles.
Figjam is a plethora of info on how to use various different kinds of salvaged 12 volt motors to motorize trikes. Thats on my project list for next year.
So the theme this year is like a giant camp out in the desert? With people bringing lots of shit from all over? uh.. -Marscrumbs

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:35 am

Fatter tires on my bike would be good

I am getting closer to the correct amount of food but still too much this year

Pack fewer sodas/juice/energy drinks

Structure my icecream/choc chip cookie gifting hour a bit more. It was like watching piranhas feeding on a wildebeest.

making the effort to meet people and stop in camps and places unknown was terrific.

Pre-screen that ride share person a WHOLE LOT MORE.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:49 am

Last year the coolers were on the floor of the camper , and worked great. I had put 1" thick pads between the camper and bed of truck. This year just used a canopy , I had a 1/2 " piece plywood in back and carpet on that. I put the coolers on it and drove down to BM . After waiting in will call all day on Mon. that night I opened coolers and found all the ice jugs were melted :( the upper ice in the door of cooler was ok . But everything below was dethawed. I opened my ice cooler which had dry ice in it, and it was gone but the ice jugs in there were only half melted. So next time ill get the coolers of the floor when traveling.
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

MacGlenver
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: I call this one 'Old Gregg'

Post by MacGlenver » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:02 am

I need to be stronger.... Or maybe I'm glad I'm not. We'll see.
"just two indecisive cowboys, trying to play a word game." - piehole
"Just apply intelligence and discretion and you should be able to get away with just about anything." - Ugly Dougly

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:08 am

Don't bust up your ankle on day one.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:42 am

Drawingablank wrote:Don't bust up your ankle on day one.
Sage advice!
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

pink
Camp Name: Retrofrolic

Post by pink » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:13 pm

I need to fix up a better bike. My 7 times to the playa bike is pretty much toast.
I'm not a slut, I'm good time floozy!

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Fri Sep 05, 2014 1:17 pm

arrive early, stay late.

i might be in for a new learning based on that but i think i'll try it out, lol

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:12 pm

That piranhas have invaded the Serengeti. Or maybe gnus have moved to the Amazon Rain Forest.....
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:11 am

Mushrooms and my stomach disagree with each other.

From now on its Acid and Only Acid.
Frida Be You & Me

tatonka
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:37 pm

my 20 year old pack of mushrooms did nothing :(

I had lights on my bike , checked them b4 i left. on arrival they did not work . one of them the switch broke off in on position but would not work. I attached back up string of lights. Returned home and put bike in garage. came out to do laundry and there are old lights on and blinkin ? cant shutem off either switch is broke. :?
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:24 pm

God damn... what I learned this year is sitting here relaxing on my bed with huge open windows, oceanfront on Kauai, with a nice warm breeze blowing and nothing but the sound of waves coming in is pretty freekin stiff competition to that dusty ass desert !!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Partypants
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Hobo Feart

Post by Partypants » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:17 pm

I learned that a used craigslist bicycle will last EXACTLY 4 1/2 years on the playa. It's speed of death is also in some symbiotic relationship proportionate with the greatest distance you are from your camp. Both of my bikes died within yards and minutes of each other 2:00 and 2:40 pm. (and a mile from our camp) on Wednesday and Thursday. Both had the same cause of death and the same slow funeral procession back.
I love the smell of bacon on the playa. It smells like.......victory.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:34 pm

Simon of the Playa wrote:Mushrooms and my stomach disagree with each other.

From now on its Acid and Only Acid.
I learned that mushrooms and my stomach definitely DO agree with each other if you use Jameson's to wash em down.
I brought WAY too much food but having a variety to choose from was really nice.
I learned to take a nap whenever I felt like it, they're glorious!
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

RedHeaven
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:45 pm

I learned that even though I can't always attend Burning Man anymore, I got to go SEVEN YEARS and I am SUPER FUCKING GRATEFUL for that!!!

Omitimo
Camp Name: Hammer & Cyclery

Post by Omitimo » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:20 am

I learned that early arrival and late departure are awesome, even though I already sorta knew that.
Those were some of my favorite days of it all.
I also learned that I didn't develop playa foot , I hope that goes for the rest of my time there.
I learned that I get to be part of the ground crew next year. I don't mind flying so much, but I had never been that far West before and would love to see that part of the country, it's kinda part of how I romanticize the whole thing anyhow.
-lemme know when my post count is high enough for me to be a jerk too

LongWayUp
Burning Since: 2001

Post by LongWayUp » Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:34 am

I learned that I need to:

-Break in a new pair of boots COMPLETELY and test them with lots of running around and dancing in the hot sun. Two weeks of low-intensity walking around in a city prior to the burn is not enough. Severe blisters popped up on both big toes within 2 days of my arrival on-playa. If I hadn't had a spare pair of raggedy old sneakers, this probably would have ruined my burn.
-Test my air mattress in advance, bring a patch kit and spare pump, or just make the cargo space for a small futon mattress. My air mattress had a catastrophic leak that couldn't be fixed with glue, fully deflated every night, and my pump stopped working midweek. I ended up sleeping on a mound of pillows in our dome for the rest of the week.

I also learned that it is totally ok to ask for what you want, no matter how selfish it seems. You may get a "yes", or you may not, but at least you have been honest with yourself and your community about your desires.

Nipple
Burning Since: 2017

Post by Nipple » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:37 pm

Treating yourself and those around you as autonomous adults capable of making their own choices and taking care of their own needs is the ultimate path to happiness.

The moment you try to fuck with someone's autonomy, or let someone fuck with your autonomy: You will resent, or be resented.

Hope-a-Lope
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Hope-a-Lope » Fri Sep 12, 2014 6:34 pm

- Rain makes a Burning Man snow day. You can't go anywhere, you can't build anything, so you get drunk with your friends at camp, and there's no pressure whatsoever. Assuming you're already on the playa, of course.

- That strip of acid? Not one hit. Three hits.

- The Soul Train fucking rocks.

- I am strong enough and brave enough and my balance is good enough to ride/climb/bike that big scary thing. Spinning steel cage, volcano slide, wave bike ramp, whatever. Do it all.

- No matter how sexy or interesting it is, I won't wear ANYTHING that's not comfortable. Day or night.

- Leaving before the Man burn to have a shower and dinner in Reno was delightful, and made for a much easier exodus and journey home.

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:22 pm

I learned that I would have had a very sad and limited experience if I had not had my electric trike.

I learned that I brought way too darn much food & water.

I learned I can leave 80% of the 'stuff' that I brought with me at home next year.

I learned that a $3.00 block of ice weighs 10# and a $3.00 bag of cubed ice weighs 7# and 1 block of ice lasts 3 times as long as 1 bag of ice.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:14 pm

Get there early and leave later. I was I Playa nearly 3 weeks. Pre and post event are more fun than the event itself.

No matter how hard you work at it, you can't make someone enjoy something they won't try.

It's easy to work to many hours. After 125, the days seem to melt together.
Praise the Lowered

PermaBurgin
Burning Since: 2018

Post by PermaBurgin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:58 am

1. Bring a notebook next year, so you can write down everything you want for the year after.

unjonharley
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:02 am

PermaBurgin wrote:1. Bring a notebook next year, so you can write down everything you want for the year after.
Wont need a note book.. Next year don't bring so much stuff
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:18 am

Blister advice. My husband was a runner for over 30 years. If you get a blister or sore spot put that white sticky adhesive tape DIRECTLY ON THE BLISTER. No. You won't get an infection. No. You can't take it off. It stays there till new skin grows underneath. (Or it falls off in the shower.) Sure you look silly in sandals but who cares about that when your feet hurt. Try it now in the real world. You'll use it later with confidence on the playa. I've already heard ever objection so don't do it if you are too scared. It's the magic cure. Ask runners what they do. Ask sports doctors advice. I'm just sayin.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

LongWayUp

Post by LongWayUp » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:52 am

Ratty wrote:Blister advice. My husband was a runner for over 30 years. If you get a blister or sore spot put that white sticky adhesive tape
You mean the medical tape for holding gauze pads on?
DIRECTLY ON THE BLISTER. No. You won't get an infection. No. You can't take it off. It stays there till new skin grows underneath. (Or it falls off in the shower.) Sure you look silly in sandals but who cares about that when your feet hurt. Try it now in the real world. You'll use it later with confidence on the playa. I've already heard ever objection so don't do it if you are too scared. It's the magic cure. Ask runners what they do. Ask sports doctors advice. I'm just sayin.
Hmm, if I get any more blisters I'll give that a try. I tried covering the blisters with Band-Aids(R) but that didn't help, just kept them from popping and then they got huge. Moleskin worked reasonably well. Note that Rampart did not have any moleskin when I went there midweek, so another "what did you learn" for me is "bring moleskin" (until I've tested your tape trick and confirmed that it works).

graidawg
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:57 am

Nothing. I learned nothing so i have to go again next year and try harder.
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:08 am

Partypants wrote:I learned that a used craigslist bicycle will last EXACTLY 4 1/2 years on the playa. It's speed of death is also in some symbiotic relationship proportionate with the greatest distance you are from your camp. Both of my bikes died within yards and minutes of each other 2:00 and 2:40 pm. (and a mile from our camp) on Wednesday and Thursday. Both had the same cause of death and the same slow funeral procession back.
I don't understand how a bicycle can "die" unless the frame rusts apart. They only have a few simple parts. ??
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:14 am

Longwayup, It pays to use the Johnson&Johnson heavy duty waterproof tape. It's just fancy adhesive tape but tried and true for the task. Just remember, don't take it off. Happy treking.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

MyDearFriend
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:14 pm

graidawg wrote:Nothing. I learned nothing so i have to go again next year and try harder.
Same here. 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:52 pm

Ratty wrote:Blister advice. My husband was a runner for over 30 years. If you get a blister or sore spot put that white sticky adhesive tape DIRECTLY ON THE BLISTER. No. You won't get an infection. No. You can't take it off. It stays there till new skin grows underneath. (Or it falls off in the shower.) Sure you look silly in sandals but who cares about that when your feet hurt. Try it now in the real world. You'll use it later with confidence on the playa. I've already heard ever objection so don't do it if you are too scared. It's the magic cure. Ask runners what they do. Ask sports doctors advice. I'm just sayin.
He MUST have also told you the following: the best way to treat blisters is not getting them in the first place.

I learned this the hard way. I might be especially prone to blisters out there. I spent half a burn walking on what looked like raw meat.

Now I wear boots that I've worn at least 6 months ahead of time...wear either a thin liner (hockey) sock or a thin liner toe sock (works a little better to prevent blisters between toes). Sweat encourages blisters so I start with foot powder, the liner sock, a little more foot powder, a high quality thicker sock, sprinkle foot powder in the boots, put them on. I'm able to hoof it for miles, run around a work site for 14 hours a day on playa, without even a hint of a blister. Maybe once in the hottest part of the day, I'll feel my feet getting a little damp...so I take off the boots and let my feet dry a little.

I did this for 10 days last year, worked most of it, and came home with completely normal feet.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”