What do you want to do next year?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Re: What do you want to do next year?

Post by Jovankat » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:48 pm

Ratty wrote:My clothes will be in bags of a complete outfit. (Including undergarments).
I did this, it was brilliant.

My Plans;
I will bring more pairs of comfy pants and try my costumes on before I pack them.
I will have my bike fully decorated and lit before I leave The Bay Area
I will have personal lighting sorted before I leave The Bay Area
I will spend more time thinking about and planning my food than camp stuff.
I will bring much more freeze dried ice cream.
I will concentrate more on my burn not looking after the camp
I will not wait until the second half of the week to get into the spirit of things
I will admit that I just cannot work effectively in the sun between about 11 am and 4pm and just not try.
I will work out a way to mount a FIGJAM cooler on my handle bars
I will convince some of my Sydney friends to come
I will venture out of camp more during the day
I will try to meet more people and be more outgoing
I will try to get out of bed in time to partake in breakfast gifting
I will eat more bacon
I will bring halloumi
I will eat more pickles
I will bring more tables
I will put things away where they belong when I'm not using them. (Ha!)

tattoogoddess
Burning Since: 2012

Post by tattoogoddess » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:05 am

Before the burn:
Lose some weight before the burn
Make More "costumes"
Make a monkey hut for shade (I think. Car port vs monkey hut?)
Take john with me!
Better lighting system on my bike
Teach john how to ride a bike

On playa:
Drink more water
Poop more......
Stay out later
Stay less in camp and exploration of the playa!
Have more sex in tents.

Yep.
maladroit- Burning Man is like a second job, except you pay to work there.
Burning Man is just the pre party for exodus! - fellow burner during exodus

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:01 am

we're going to AfrikaBurn Instead.

seriously.
Frida Be You & Me

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:58 am

tamarakay wrote:
lucky420 wrote:Image

This! I will do more of this
Yes! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

Chuck - lucky420 and I blended up several pitchers every day and handed it all out on the corner of 6:30 and gold. Nearly caused a few bike accidents with people whoaing up to get some!

I will train other people to mix dyes so I can move around the hut more on dye days.

We were Moms with Margaritas! YAY!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:05 am

"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:22 am

Savannah, box trucks are just vans with a bigger box clamped on, automatic transmission and power everything, anyone can drive them. Even you :) Just do lots of research about who to rent from and who not to rent from! And reserve early.

I think the attendance drop in '09 had more to do with the economy. No one had any money. Work pretty much dried up, there was no way I could have gone that year.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:28 am

Simon of the Playa wrote:we're going to AfrikaBurn Instead.

seriously.
Good plan. I know an Aussie burner who has previously only been to Burning Seed and Blazing Swan, the Aussie regionals, who did AfrikaBurn, KoreaBurn and Nevada this year. I'm really looking forward to hearing the comparison from him. AfrikaBurn looks pretty great.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Post by Eric » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:14 pm

I met a couple who publish a paper for that, had a lovely chat with them. It's high on my "dream" list. Midburn (Israel) as well.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:20 pm

Gawd damn things changed so fast and so radically that I can't imagine how this will go next year. Suffice it will be GLORIOUS in the shitters!

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Post by Thecatman » Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:Oh, buy an early sale ticket.........
Same here. I'll pay the inflated price. I'm working my days off for OT. Last pay period I got 30hrs OT. I gotta watch it so I don't give to much to the feds. :evil:
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:18 pm

I want to score a ticket as I haven't been to a burn since 02 I believe. Beyond that I think I want to try a solo voyage so I can do whatever I want without having to consider anyone else's plans. Beyond that not much but be amazed and glazed.

Don't believe everything you think.

spacetime
Burning Since: 2014

Post by spacetime » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:13 am

I solo camp'd my seven days successfully this year, and with good help from this forum I was able to take care of myself.

I'd like to increase the challenge and potential fun level by leading a camp in the 10-15 person range. This is my lofty goal.

I've been thinking about how this might work since returning, and I think I can do it. I have the right kind of people available, and now there is plenty of time to organize.

In addition some wants for next year:

- Get ticket during general on-sale, or otherwise continuously work to acquire it from the earliest point possible after early ticketing.
- Better food. I didn't bring anything to cook or be cooked this year. You can survive on beef jerky, ravioli and tuna but it gets old.
- No more using Burner Express. OK for a first time solo, but super limited in what you can bring and frankly the $200 was barely a value. (I left behind good costumes, and was not happy with the travel quality.)
- Coordinate or be a part of someone else's group costume wandering. I think it would be really neat to go around with a bunch of stuff dressed to theme.
- More volunteer shifts at center. I only got one in this past time, but would like to up it to 3-5 and learn the other roles.
- Bring event and meetup info printed or written down. From the psychedelics in technology lecture to Paul Stamets, there were a number of on-playa events I missed because I did not have the info or was too overwhelmed by experiencing the event the first time.
- Lag screws
- More burnery clothes. I put a few things that worked together, but I could do sooo much better with more time.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:30 am

We added a monkey hut this year for a guest, will be bringing it even if we don't have a spare campmate. Great potential for a breezy, shady napping spot.

Bike rack for The Home. Bike rack for the back, perhaps.

The usual suspects, get out more at night, don't let Golden Cafe suck us in for hours on end, wear the costumes instead of just schlepping them back and forth. Don't be shy about visiting new camps and bars. I often feel over-scheduled, yet I do so little outside camp.

Order more parts and repair the rhoadescar. 13 is pretty aged for a peddle power vehicle.

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:49 am

I should really consider unpacking before next year.

But seriously......

No passengers with Will Call tickets.

Many of the big things I made this year, like my beer cooler bike, just didn't work. The road conditions, skinny tires (its a trike), & overall weight of the set-up made it self destruct on day 2. I have to rethink my plan & probably use some kind of jockey box to cool the beer instead of trying to keep the kegs cold. The cooler worked great & held ice for more than a day but it was immobile.

Less beer. I brought 4 kegs of homebrew & 3 would have been sufficient. I barely had time for tequila & that's just not right.

Lighting: Has anyone worked with side glow fiber optic yet? It comes in sizes from angel hair to as thick as a pencil & has a really nice glow. I'm going to use this with RGB LEDs for wearable & bicycle lights.

I love to volunteer but I think I will limit myself to 1 or 2 shifts & put Elliot on the top of my list.

Travel: Make a point to stop & smell the roses at 1 or 2 locations on the way. Maybe Mt Rushmore next time.

Make Figjam's cooler! Luckily it wasn't necessary this year but I bought all the parts & ran out of time to make it. Next year for sure since this trend of pleasant weather has to end sometime.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Simon of the Playa
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: La Guilde des Hashischins

Post by Simon of the Playa » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:57 am

Eric wrote:
I met a couple who publish a paper for that, had a lovely chat with them. It's high on my "dream" list. Midburn (Israel) as well.

i would like to attend MidBurn as well, i have some cousins there i have never met in person.

not to mention, the awesome disco and the israeli psy-trance they have ...
Frida Be You & Me

Roberto Dobbisano

Post by Roberto Dobbisano » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:00 am

[media]
"10 principles? you cant HANDLE the 10 principles..."

tahiti_treat
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: NoTown

Post by tahiti_treat » Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:14 am

I have actually been considering going to the playa only every other year, and attending other burns on the off years. I WILL make it to our regional this year, in any case... the timing hasn't worked out in years past but I'll arrange my schedule around it this year.

Otherwise:
Get or make a utility belt... really wanted one this year especially since I mostly wore things without pockets.
Now that we have the bar operations more or less figured out... work on our curb appeal.
Make some art. I REALLY want to do an art car but that will probably have to be a multi-year project.
Rent an airbnb in Reno for a few days before the burn to cook and freeze all meals for the camp. Thanks to the lovely bartender at Ranger Station Tokyo for this idea.
Make it to the meet 'n' greet!

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:54 am

I just wanna get back to BRC....I don't want to miss 3 burns in a row!
I would like to get early entry for the camp I camp with and drive a Ryder truck for them, haul some goods, help set up, play some guitar or keyboards in our live music dome, and fuggin party.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:26 pm

I think I want to go to Kauai again!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

RedHeaven
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cirque Du Cliche

Post by RedHeaven » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:45 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I think I want to go to Kauai again!
Ha....yeah....I'll probably end up going on a camping trip in Montana instead, since my husband could join me for that. I feel bad going to Burning Man without him so much, and he would just not be into it. He would enjoy biking and checking out art for a day and then he would be like OK lets get the hell outta here.
And.....:GASP:......I still love him....Imagine that :mrgreen:

bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Post by bigbluedoggy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Step Destiny Lounge back up to an actual theme camp instead of a placed volunteer camp. It would solve the problem of a lack of people available to help setup early, since most of us this year had lots of other tasks to do for our volunteer commitments prior to opening. We still offer more interactivity than many theme camps I saw. Rock Yer Balls survived well and many people made its discovery over the course of the week. I think it's going to make it back for one more year next year. And if you did not receive a Free Blowjob from us... well you missed out!
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - located in the 3:00 Plaza at G for 2019! Look for our art installation too: The Temple uv Enlightenment!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:17 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:I think I want to go to Kauai again!
Lovely, isn't it? Although I have a thing for Big Island too.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:08 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general event preparation discussions.

As for the question itself, it's too early to say. Lots and lots of things worked really right, and there are a few things I want to change and improve. At the moment there are a few fun creative projects bouncing around my head, and who knows what might pop up and make me head in a different direction.

AfricanFire
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:39 pm

Skipping next year, travelling to South Africa and Mexico instead. Then in 2016 the plan is to bring my dad with us to Burning Man. 2017 will be the big year - plans for BOTH AfrikaBurn AND Burning Man. (and we'll do our regional every year too).

robrob
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:21 am

My one regret this year was not really connecting with anyone new out there. I know that's silly, because having a *real* connection with a stranger is a tall order, but between really vibing with our super cozy 5 man camp, and spending so much time lost in one on one time with my new fiance- both of these things were amazing, by the way- I dont think we had enough time or mental energy to meet and connect with strangers.

next year, i know we won't avoid the big sound camps all together, but i don't want to do them every night. i'd rather go find a nice 30 person dance party some where and make pals. Turning a stranger into a friend... that's what i want to get out of next year. (not an easy task. especially when i can be heavily introverted myself)

on the flipside, it was awesome meeting up with some chicago pals out there, and spending time with our friends in DPW.

(watching embrace burn from the back of el couchino will be on my all time favorite burn moments highlight reel for a long time)

robrob
Camp Name: Love Drippins

Post by robrob » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:24 am

also, after 5 years, i suppose i should finally start reading the goddamn W/W/W book.

we intentionally stayed unaltered thursday evening to go explore the kink camps only to find the ones we knew about (retrofrolic, school of consensual kink) all closed at 6 :/

(once we got home home, i cracked it and saw there was another dungeon that was open til 3am. doh)

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Wed Sep 10, 2014 12:46 am

I bet the BIG Island has changed as much as Burning Man has in the last 25 years. That's how long since I've been to Kona. Kauai was one of my favorites too. Poipoo beach. We used to rent condos through the S.F. paper. And every island has a nude beach. The only trouble I had with Hawaii was that after a week I had seen every rock and fish. I was ready to go home or start a business. I can't just 'chill'.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Rilopie
Burning Since: 2008

Post by Rilopie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:10 pm

- Explore more of the suburbs and neighborhood area around me
- try to be more outgoing
- stay up for the sunrise
- figure out why I always have a crisis on thurs/fri and do whatever I need to do in order to avoid it
- plan more daytime events at camp that are not solely bar/alcohol related (bocce ball, horseshoes, croquet)
- attend something in the what where when book
- decorate my bike before I reach Reno
- plan a date day/night with my honey where its just us alone together exploring the city
- get a drink at the black hole

forty_eight

Post by forty_eight » Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:22 pm

Whoever goes to South Africa is going to absolutely love it. I spent 4 months there in 1999. It is an amazing place with really great people. They know a lot about Radical Self Reliance - Apartheid era sanctions and all. Seriously, though.

South Africa has a way to make oil from coal

AfricanFire
Camp Name: Astral Headwash

Post by AfricanFire » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Whoever goes to South Africa is going to absolutely love it. I spent 4 months there in 1999. It is an amazing place with really great people. They know a lot about Radical Self Reliance - Apartheid era sanctions and all. Seriously, though.

South Africa has a way to make oil from coal
I'm a South African American. Born and raised there. I agree completely :)

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”