If you could add that one thing to your Burning Man?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

If you could add that one thing to your Burning Man?

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:27 pm

One thing that would make it just that much closer to perfection and paradise for you?

For me and it's kind of a biggie for several reasons is having my dogs there. I know it's impossible but Dog in heaven I wish it was not so. I love dogs with all my heart and soul for one thing. I trained them for a living for awhile and they have saved my life at a time when I didn't want to be alive anymore and did not know how to go on. In fact my first Burn in 2000 was done to say goodbye formally to my dog Ki. 11 years he was by my side almost day and night from mountains to canyons to my little house that he made a home. I miss him every day.

I feel so complete when my dogs are with me and if I'm feeling at all shy or lonely they fill the gap so well. Plus It's hard to find someone to care for them when I want to Burn for one to two weeks. I won't just leave them with anyone and I've missed more than a few Burns because of that among other things. That's the only thing that bugs me about the playa. It's not friendly to my dogs. Otherwise I love the stuff. 8)

So I'm wondering if you have any one thing that really would make your Burns a lot better for you?

Don't believe everything you think.

GreyCoyote

Re: If you could add that one thing to your Burning Man?

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:35 pm

One more week to prepare, a third chest freezer, and 5000 more bacon tamales.

And maybe a skateboard, just to crank-up the Weird Factor.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:42 pm

That's three things+. :wink:

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:53 pm

kiboy wrote:One thing that would make it just that much closer to perfection and paradise for you?

For me and it's kind of a biggie for several reasons is having my dogs there. I know it's impossible but Dog in heaven I wish it was not so. I love dogs with all my heart and soul for one thing. I trained them for a living for awhile and they have saved my life at a time when I didn't want to be alive anymore and did not know how to go on. In fact my first Burn in 2000 was done to say goodbye formally to my dog Ki. 11 years he was by my side almost day and night from mountains to canyons to my little house that he made a home. I miss him every day.

I feel so complete when my dogs are with me and if I'm feeling at all shy or lonely they fill the gap so well. Plus It's hard to find someone to care for them when I want to Burn for one to two weeks. I won't just leave them with anyone and I've missed more than a few Burns because of that among other things. That's the only thing that bugs me about the playa. It's not friendly to my dogs. Otherwise I love the stuff. 8)

So I'm wondering if you have any one thing that really would make your Burns a lot better for you?

Yes! I know exactly how you feel about your dogs. I like dogs sometimes more than the people I meet. I love you now.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:54 pm

Oops. My bad. Feel free to bill me. :)

Actually it was only 1 each. I'm a gemini and one of me has a split
personality disorder. Hehehe
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 1:55 pm

Totally understandable GC, I'm a Gemini too.

There's good lucky
There's bad lucky :twisted:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

maladroit
Burning Since: 2012

Post by maladroit » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:04 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:One more week to prepare
Actually, due to the shift in Labor Day from Sep 1 in 2014 to Sep 7 in 2015, your first wish has already been granted.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:17 pm

I assume there's a sly nod to Parkinson's Law in there.

As for me, two things, legs.

Of course, then I'd want a bicycle, and a monkey hut, and some sort of magic plonk that would make sure that I don't have to see, much less interact with, the Potemkinites.
So, best for all if I stay home.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:19 pm

lucky420 wrote:
kiboy wrote:One thing that would make it just that much closer to perfection and paradise for you?

Yes! I know exactly how you feel about your dogs. I like dogs sometimes more than the people I meet. I love you now.
Well lucky, I was born on 4/20 so hot doggers.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:28 pm

I would love to have an art bike with a tall seat like my friend Sean's. He is a professional welder so he built himself an awesome person powered rig. I have been considering a mutant vehicle but the prospect of creating one seems daunting to say the least.

The second thing I would like to add is an EA to come in as early as possible and work on an art project or maybe help build center camp. If I couldn't do the early, I'd like to do the late and stay for restoration.
In dust we trust.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:47 pm

I'd add a consensual crush.
otherwise, I think subtraction holds a lot of promise as the thing I'd add.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Sep 07, 2014 2:51 pm

Elorrum wrote:I'd add a consensual crush.
I read this (through rain-fogged trifocals while on an unloading break) as Consensual COUCH. And with that little Freudian slip, you have just gifted me an idea for an "interactive art" piece! WHOOO HOOOO!!!! :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:02 pm

Small art car. Seats 8 max with good visibility.
Sic Semper Spectatores

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:07 pm

kiboy wrote:
lucky420 wrote:

Well lucky, I was born on 4/20 so hot doggers.
Even better!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

chuckularone
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish Out Of Water

Post by chuckularone » Sun Sep 07, 2014 4:47 pm

GreyCoyote wrote:
Elorrum wrote:I'd add a consensual crush.
I read this (through rain-fogged trifocals while on an unloading break) as Consensual COUCH. And with that little Freudian slip, you have just gifted me an idea for an "interactive art" piece! WHOOO HOOOO!!!! :mrgreen:
You are a sick, sick man. :twisted:
Remember kiddoes, if you don't sin, Jesus died for nothing!

chuckularone:: Pronounced: Chuck-You-Lar-One
http://makerandfixerofthings.blogspot.com
KF4JPE

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:23 pm

danibel wrote:I would love to have an art bike with a tall seat like my friend Sean's. He is a professional welder so he built himself an awesome person powered rig. I have been considering a mutant vehicle but the prospect of creating one seems daunting to say the least.

The second thing I would like to add is an EA to come in as early as possible and work on an art project or maybe help build center camp. If I couldn't do the early, I'd like to do the late and stay for restoration.
I have thought about staying late next year to do some restoration myself. If I had any energy left. I tend not to sleep much during the week as I'm a light sleeper. I think the first year I went I may have gotten 6 hours that whole week. But I didn't have to drive out so it was all good and I was one happy and satisfied puppy. I don't think I could pull that off now though. So I'm going to think hard before making that commitment to stay late.

I think it would be fun though. I love deserts. I've spent a portion of my life wandering High Desert here in Oregon and some of Washington. I even took some Desert survival courses out here back in the day and it gets into your blood (and your nose and your lungs and your butt crack and everywhere else). But being out on the palaya in the quiet nights after the Burn is over and most are gone would be a neat time to reflect on the event and look up at the stars and soak in some silence. So I kind of want to try it. Plus I think it would be a satisfying way to contribute.

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Sun Sep 07, 2014 5:39 pm

VultureChow wrote:Small art car. Seats 8 max with good visibility.
[media]
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:25 pm

I'm giving this a nudge over to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general preparation discussions

graidawg
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: CAMP Hooker

Post by graidawg » Tue Sep 09, 2014 8:49 pm

i would take one thing, going back to England after it finishes. working on that
FREE THE SHERPAS
Burners with torches is right and natural and just.-fishy.
CATCH AND RELEASE.

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Post by Ano » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:55 pm

I feel lame for saying this.. but if I had a car that could tow, I would buy myself a nice fifteen to twenty foot camper trailer with AC, Fridge, kitchen, and toilet. I love building my burn, and I have done a lot of stuff to make everything comfortable, but once a campmate opened his RV for all of us to use, I was ruined. A cold refreshing dust-free box with a private shitter and a fridge and a kitchen and gray water and all of that... totally unfair. And I would do it in a heartbeat if I could tow.

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:21 pm

Being able to drive would open a lot of things up for me, especially with our regional burn. Maybe that's something I should work towards in the next 12 months.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:32 pm

A body cam to record everything I can not remember.( you know, like the cops are now wearing.) :coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

kiboy

Post by kiboy » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:39 pm

Ano wrote:I feel lame for saying this.. but if I had a car that could tow, I would buy myself a nice fifteen to twenty foot camper trailer with AC, Fridge, kitchen, and toilet. I love building my burn, and I have done a lot of stuff to make everything comfortable, but once a campmate opened his RV for all of us to use, I was ruined. A cold refreshing dust-free box with a private shitter and a fridge and a kitchen and gray water and all of that... totally unfair. And I would do it in a heartbeat if I could tow.
I understand. I'm 61 and one day tenting it is going to be too difficult. I'm hoping I have at least one more monkey hut Burn in me though. Being right in the dirt is cleansing if that makes any sense.

digitalmorgan
Burning Since: 2015

Post by digitalmorgan » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:10 am

showers.. warm water, 10 gallon showers. with ample pressure.

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Post by Shoeshine » Sun Mar 20, 2016 12:35 am

moving the burn 2 weeks earlier...

My son is just now getting to the age when he is capable of being out there. A sense of self preservation, understanding the difference between cultural taboos and ethical conduct, wonder and awe about other people and/with the grace to bow out when that is not healthy for him (or at least be able to ask the good questions).

Missing the first week of classes though is a bitch.

haven't been able to work that out.

Want him by my side even though it would definitely change my burn.

Shoe

ahh well, a few more years, right
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”