I want to find every eplyan at the burn.

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

I want to find every eplyan at the burn.

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:17 pm

So today I decided to devise a way to find you guys next year. You can run...etc...My idea is this. A map. Yes a map of your location. I can't believe how few of you I actually saw in the TWO weeks that I was there. I will be marking a playa map with everyones camp. Robbi dobbs told me where Patsh was, I told Figjam where MDF was, Everybody told everyone else where somebody was. A lot of people were placed ahead of time and they would have been easy to find if I had put them on a map.

Do you find yourself wishing you had someone to chum around with at night? Maybe you're looking for an early bird to enjoy the sunrise with you. On several nights I could have used some company for exploring. This is an easy solution. I'm talking about one map. Located in someones camp. You can come there and jot down locations on your own map and add your address to the main one.

Some people don't go to the M&G. Some people work too much. Some people would love to have visitors in their camp.

What do you think? Yes. No. Am I taking this comradery to seriously? I have to warn you, I'm also toying with 6 inch laminated signs to hang in front of your camp so you can catch passing eplayans.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: I want to find every eplyan at the burn.

Post by lucky420 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:21 pm

I vote yes
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:32 pm

yes
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:39 pm

yes , i did find Patsh this year ,and she showed me were Elliot's ,and Figjam's camp was , and I was walking by ygmir's camp, and noiced him, and said hi . A map would be useful, and you dont have to put yourself on there, if ya dont want them to find ya.")
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

Drawingablank
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:42 pm

There is a facebook app for that called burner map or something like that - it prints the location of every fb friend that puts themselves on the map.

Since most of my eplaya friends are also fb friends, it works if they want to be found.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Yet Another Crappy Birgin Guide

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:48 pm

YES!
One of my most favorite things about the burn is meeting all my friends from eplaya. Hell, there's not even enough time to really talk to everyone at the meet-n-greet sometimes.

But not only is finding them difficult, but finding time to visit them all is even more difficult. A map would make that much easier. I know this is going to get poo-pood, but during the first day or two text messages seem to be working pretty well. I'd be happy to share my phone number with anybody that would want to text me their camp address when they first arrive on playa. I'm always with the Mudskippers, so I'm pretty easy to find.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:49 pm

Drawingablank wrote:There is a facebook app for that called burner map or something like that - it prints the location of every fb friend that puts themselves on the map.

Since most of my eplaya friends are also fb friends, it works if they want to be found.
I knew they had one for camps, didn't know it was for friends too. Perfect. (But not everybody here are friends on FB)
JK
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:51 pm

Well. I'm old school. My cell phone practically has a dial. Plus I don't turn it on for the entire time. But you're right. I'll put myself on the map next year for others. thanks

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:54 pm

I don't even own a cell phone, but the map is printable and they will even send a reminder to print it before departure.

And that thread about FB contacts has been dead for a long time although I don't have the patience to perform thread necromancy on it.
Savannah: I don't know what it is, but no thread here escapes alive. You'll get 1 or 2 real answers at minimum, occasionally 10 or 12, and then we flog it until it's unrecognizable and you can't get your deposit back.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:59 pm

Ratty wrote:Well. I'm old school. My cell phone practically has a dial. Plus I don't turn it on for the entire time. But you're right. I'll put myself on the map next year for others. thanks
That's funny. Before I closed the office, we used to have interns from the local high school. I have this old candle-stick phone with a dial that used to sit on my desk for decoration. But it was funny watching how those kids would try to dial. Somehow most of them seemed to not be able to figure out that you were supposed to stick your finger in the holes. I still laugh about one guy that actually asked me how to know where to stop turning to get the numbers you wanted.

So I guess texting is out then. :(
JK

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:21 pm

Ratty wrote:I'm also toying with 6 inch laminated signs to hang in front of your camp so you can catch passing eplayans.
I'll join. how about hobo marks too? bring a piece of chalk.
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

sadie
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Solomio

Post by sadie » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:30 pm

This is a great idea! I'm in.
If I've told you once, I've told you ten thousand times..jazz hands goddammit....JAZZ HANDS!!!

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:37 pm

We need to update those for the playa.

Must have own cup

No alcohol

Shirt cocker

Wont gift you

Birgin

Will help you tied down dome
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Sunbeam56
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Fish OUt of Water Clan

Post by Sunbeam56 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:40 pm

You had THE BOOK!
My hobo sign is the cat - kind hearted woman :)
I will be near Elliot and (hopefully) Burning Sky again.
Conspicuous because of Millicent, our dome, and tamales :)
I will also bring water.
Let GOOD win!

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:42 pm

I love this idea!

This year, I had only a limited number (79) of pendants to give away, and wanted to be sure that all my friends (most of whom are on ePlaya) would get one. So, I made a list. To my surprise, there were 86 names!!! So, I made a map of where lots of people were camping. As I found them, their names were crossed off the list. By Wednesday's M&G, at least half were already given away, and most of the rest went that night.

By Sunday night, I had one pendant left, and 8 names. That night, I found Schtev, who had been adopted into our camp by my sister, Delle (last year). He was the last on the list to get a pendant, and (fortunately) the last one I saw from the list.

What absolutely Blew My Mind about all this, is, I DID find 79 of the 86 people I wanted to find!!! What are the odds, in a population of tens of thousands??!!! :mrgreen:

There are at least ten more on my little mailing list... yesterday, more pendants got to the stage of needing a hole drilled, corners to be rounded, polishing and satin rope added. I may even end up with a couple extra.

When they're polished, the writing stays dark, and shows up well. A paste of Playa dust and water rubbed over with the thumb (or toothpaste/water), then rinsed and buffed with a dry cloth... works well!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Tin Halo
Burning Since: 2004

Post by Tin Halo » Mon Oct 06, 2014 7:58 pm

If I can get there, I'm up for it.

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:01 pm

Sounds like you were a women on a mission! :coffee:
JK

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 pm

Elderberry wrote:Sounds like you were a women on a mission! :coffee:
Yup!!
(just one woman, though...) :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Drawingablank

Post by Drawingablank » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:08 pm

As one of those 79 I have to say it was an awesome gift. Just a suggestion - next time put a drop of super glue on the knot. Much as I loved it, it kept coming undone, and I had to stop wearing it until I got back to default for fear of losing it. Now that I've glued the knot it is every day wear.
Patsh wrote:I love this idea!

This year, I had only a limited number (79) of pendants to give away, and wanted to be sure that all my friends (most of whom are on ePlaya) would get one. So, I made a list. To my surprise, there were 86 names!!! So, I made a map of where lots of people were camping. As I found them, their names were crossed off the list. By Wednesday's M&G, at least half were already given away, and most of the rest went that night.

By Sunday night, I had one pendant left, and 8 names. That night, I found Schtev, who had been adopted into our camp by my sister, Delle (last year). He was the last on the list to get a pendant, and (fortunately) the last one I saw from the list.

What absolutely Blew My Mind about all this, is, I DID find 79 of the 86 people I wanted to find!!! What are the odds, in a population of tens of thousands??!!! :mrgreen:

There are at least ten more on my little mailing list... yesterday, more pendants got to the stage of needing a hole drilled, corners to be rounded, polishing and satin rope added. I may even end up with a couple extra.

When they're polished, the writing stays dark, and shows up well. A paste of Playa dust and water rubbed over with the thumb (or toothpaste/water), then rinsed and buffed with a dry cloth... works well!

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:11 pm

Patsh wrote:
Yup!!
depending who you ask...
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:16 pm

Perhaps I should answer this once the dopamine or whatever the hell fishy said levels off. Cause right now, no. I don't want to meet all of them. Most of them yes, but all of them, no.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:19 pm

Ratty wrote:So today I decided to devise a way to find you guys next year. You can run...etc...My idea is this. A map. Yes a map of your location. I can't believe how few of you I actually saw in the TWO weeks that I was there. I will be marking a playa map with everyones camp. Robbi dobbs told me where Patsh was, I told Figjam where MDF was, Everybody told everyone else where somebody was. A lot of people were placed ahead of time and they would have been easy to find if I had put them on a map.

Do you find yourself wishing you had someone to chum around with at night? Maybe you're looking for an early bird to enjoy the sunrise with you. On several nights I could have used some company for exploring. This is an easy solution. I'm talking about one map. Located in someones camp. You can come there and jot down locations on your own map and add your address to the main one.

Some people don't go to the M&G. Some people work too much. Some people would love to have visitors in their camp.

What do you think? Yes. No. Am I taking this comradery to seriously? I have to warn you, I'm also toying with 6 inch laminated signs to hang in front of your camp so you can catch passing eplayans.
I'm in and due to the regulations I won't be armed. So if we haven't been getting along......

Don't believe everything you think.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Sunbeam 56, Yes I had the book. I couldn't have made it through without it. I wrote down addresses, dates, times parties and even some emails that I'll never contact. Mainly it was good for future planning and packing. If I had marked my map with peoples addresses instead of writing it somewhere in the book, I would have visited more friends. Everybody gets a map when they come in. Lets use em.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Elorrum
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:33 pm

tamarakay wrote:Perhaps I should answer this once the dopamine or whatever the hell fishy said levels off. Cause right now, no. I don't want to meet all of them. Most of them yes, but all of them, no.
It's been my experience that the time we get together and get to know each other is here, online. On playa sadly the time is so brief, just face to name, in many instances, and moving on. I know I'll have more time here, if I didn't get the time there. When I hear that somebody was at the meet and greet, and I was there, and I never met them, I think, well, maybe next year. With some that is a regret, with others, yeah,
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Elderberry

Post by Elderberry » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 pm

Patsh wrote:
Yup!!
:oops: :oops: :oops:
JK

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:40 pm

Kiboy, I don't know you. I don't know if I like or dislike you. You have been here for 31 days. You started out all sunshine and openness. Since then you've tried your very best to infuriate, insult, belittle and generally alienate yourself from the majority of the long time posters. You have NO idea how many of us are sick of your yelling. Why on earth would you go on vacation and spend time with us? If you pulled that shit in person someone would clock you. I'm up for it. (Not the clocking you part. The spending time together.) But I have to warn you. One asshole word about P&P and I'll stick my cane in your spokes and ride over your dick. Welcome to eplaya.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Aurelia
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: the Love Camp

Post by Aurelia » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:44 pm

Yes !

not fb

and I think I like Kiboy

I Love my pendant
and the rest of you all THANK you for being real

xoA.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Thanks, Ratty.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

kiboy
Burning Since: 2000

Post by kiboy » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:47 pm

Ratty wrote:Kiboy, I don't know you. I don't know if I like or dislike you. You have been here for 31 days. You started out all sunshine and openness. Since then you've tried your very best to infuriate, insult, belittle and generally alienate yourself from the majority of the long time posters. You have NO idea how many of us are sick of your yelling. Why on earth would you go on vacation and spend time with us? If you pulled that shit in person someone would clock you. I'm up for it. (Not the clocking you part. The spending time together.) But I have to warn you. One asshole word about P&P and I'll stick my cane in your spokes and ride over your dick. Welcome to eplaya.

Really? I had no idea that's what I was doing. It's good to hear if true. You're the first one that's said this to me. I've gotten PMs from several people here and not a mention of this until now.

So lets throw this open and hear from others. I'd really like to know how I'm coming off here. I've never tried consciously to belittle anyone and felt I was getting along with everyone but maybe Bri and I have no hard feelings towards him. He's doing what he believes.

So lets get this all out in the open here. My ears are open. I want to hear from anyone else who thinks I'm being an asshole here rather than playing and being snarky like so many others I see here. I'm seriously surprised and confused.

For those that think I've insulted them I'd like you to point it out if you would with a quote so I can see what is actually going on here.
Last edited by kiboy on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don't believe everything you think.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:51 pm

Please get your own thread. Don't turn my thread about a playa map into 'Let's all talk about Kiboy". That isn't going to make anyone happy.

BTW you can search your own threads and analyze them at your leisure.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”