2015 one item a day for BM list..

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Re: 2015 one item a day for BM list..

Post by Savannah » Fri May 22, 2015 12:25 pm

theCryptofishist wrote:
AntiM wrote:
VultureChow wrote:I bought some tarnished silverware last year with the intent of making some fancy mess kits. So finally this year I got around to doing it.

Just because you're mooching free food, doesn't mean you can't dine in style.
So fancy! Fancy pantsy! Love it!
I love tarnish. But I'm a slut for patinas.
*giggling*

(This is not to say I don't understand. 'Cause I do. That just makes it funnier!)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat May 23, 2015 4:32 pm

Well hell yes it's getting real. I put up my tent, scotchguarded it, tied it down with straps etc... I've never used a nylon tent with fiberglass poles out there. I've seen them get thrashed to splinters so I decided to use double poles. Even though this tent has the thickest rods I've ever seen, (control yourself Lucky420), I still had to modify it. There is plenty of room in those channels that you slip the poles through. I made some attachments to go on the bottom for the extra poles. Yippy. One thing off of my list.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:38 pm

Ratty wrote:Well hell yes it's getting real. I put up my tent, scotchguarded it, tied it down with straps etc... I've never used a nylon tent with fiberglass poles out there. I've seen them get thrashed to splinters so I decided to use double poles. Even though this tent has the thickest rods I've ever seen, (control yourself Lucky420), I still had to modify it. There is plenty of room in those channels that you slip the poles through. I made some attachments to go on the bottom for the extra poles. Yippy. One thing off of my list.

Screen wipes please :lol:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat May 23, 2015 11:02 pm

Last time out, I had a wheel crack apart on the Land Yacht. Don't let me forget to get a new spare, soon.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat May 23, 2015 11:35 pm

Get a spare soon!!
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sun May 24, 2015 7:49 am

Thanks, FIGJAM.
Should we call your new kamikaze ashtray an FJ Cruiser?
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun May 24, 2015 10:27 am

I was reminding you so I wouldn't forget to remind you.

It's actually called "Burnt Offering". :lol:
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon May 25, 2015 5:37 pm

I cleaned out my hall closet (and other things) today. That will be the burning closet. All things going to the burn shall go in that closet. Grai is coming soon and I need to get organized.

There is no way that all things planned will be done on time, but that's nothing new. It will be a good burn and a new experience sharing it with someone.
Sic Semper Spectatores

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:13 pm

VultureChow wrote:I cleaned out my hall closet (and other things) today. That will be the burning closet. All things going to the burn shall go in that closet. Grai is coming soon and I need to get organized.

There is no way that all things planned will be done on time, but that's nothing new. It will be a good burn and a new experience sharing it with someone.

Is that where you're storing Grai til the burn?
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Post by VultureChow » Mon May 25, 2015 8:22 pm

lucky420 wrote:
VultureChow wrote:I cleaned out my hall closet (and other things) today. That will be the burning closet. All things going to the burn shall go in that closet. Grai is coming soon and I need to get organized.

Hah! He doubted that I could fit it all in one closet. Then he offered to stay in the guest bathroom. His words were, "I could live in the bathroom and you wouldn't know I was there."
Sic Semper Spectatores

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 pm

VultureChow wrote:
lucky420 wrote:

Hah! He doubted that I could fit it all in one closet. Then he offered to stay in the guest bathroom. His words were, "I could live in the bathroom and you wouldn't know I was there."
Oh yes you would...
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Tue May 26, 2015 9:08 am

Well it's good to get safety checks on van and trailer before the big trip, but damnit, I have to replace both deep cycle batteries. Still, we got 6 years out of them so I think that's not bad. Also very unfortunate... as I uncovered the CandyHome trailer, I put my thumb through, (yes through) the corner of one of the venting skylights and it disintegrated. Never a dull moment when you have an artcar and a trailer. At least we have plenty of time to make repairs. $$$
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Post by melodiousdirge » Tue May 26, 2015 9:40 am

Did a few things this weekend, but the only fun thing was strapping a couple of hacked LED flood lights to my trailer below my existing unmodified floods. Hello mood lighting for inside my dome!

Beware teh snarkasm

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Tue May 26, 2015 11:01 am

Got the fridge fixed in the RV, and the broken washing machine removed so I'll have more room and weight capacity to carry supplies. And the solar panels installed last month are working great!

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Tue May 26, 2015 2:19 pm

Got a costco carport over the weekend since a new shipment was in stock when I went by. My lag bolts should arrive today and I got a couple of heavy duty 6 foot tables out of my storage room over the weekend. Going to severely clamp down on expenses this next month if possible, but I will still be looking to source my hexayurt panels. So far I have found 1.5" boards for $24.80 and I will call about the place that has 1" in stock. Another place had the 1" RMAx boards for $40 each, but I had to pass on that one.

Going to start on seeing if my extra bike is worthy of the desert this week. I should have some teflon lube arriving in the mail today. In other news, my friend going with me to the playa went to Flipside over the weekend and it sounded like it was a complete mudfest. Lots of people getting stuck in the mud and tornadoes were in the area.

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Tue May 26, 2015 3:10 pm

yowza! 40 bucks is crazy talk... we get em here in REno for around 23
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu May 28, 2015 9:37 am

Good luck with the price of construction materials in Texas for the next couple months. This past weekend's storms were pretty rough, and I imagine that will translate into high demand for the kind of stuff people use to rebuild their homes.

We ordered the thermostat device for the additional chest freezer earlier in the week, that should be arriving today. We also just placed orders for tarps as well as shade hardware for this year's projects (I'm building a shade structure for our camp's shipping container so my gf and I can live in it once it's unloaded, plus expanding the sizes of a couple other small structures).

AliCat903
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Asparagus Forest

Post by AliCat903 » Thu May 28, 2015 10:41 am

Ordered 166 yards of bright green ripstop nylon for our new dome cover.

Also ordered a bunch of fabric for fuzzy light up game-of-thrones-esque cloaks.

Now I just need to dig out the sewing area so I can get started when it all gets here.

rideincircles

Post by rideincircles » Thu May 28, 2015 1:58 pm

My lag screws were dropped off at my house yesterday from UPS, but were not there when I got home. I contacted UPS and filed a report on it to the FWPD also.

I suspect my shady cousin has stolen them. I let him stay at my house for a few weeks when he had nowhere to go last month, then my wallet went missing after the beer festival I went to this month although I didn't recall losing it that night. I assumed I lost it at first, but checked everywhere and then assumed it was stolen. I kicked my cousin out a day later after finding some of my stuff in his bag, and later got his girlfriend to admit they stole my wallet. He managed to grab an extra key to the locks I switched out after he left (forward thinking criminal: take extra key to keyed locks in closet since I will switch them out once he leaves), and he came back and took my car amp I needed to install, an xbox 360, and my former roommates graduation ring (still determining if there is anything else) from inside my house. I did find him and his girlfriend in my backyard when I got home early before leaving for my trip the previous Friday which was my evidence of who to suspect when things disappear from a locked house.

I have started a police report on all this BS, but having him at my house threw off almost a month of my normal life and lots of my planning. He is already a felon and I shouldn't have been so open to letting him stay, but he didn't present any problems for a few weeks and chopped down some of my trees and my neighbors trees before things went down shady street. Now he gets to deal with the consequences of his actions. I wasn't going to do much when it was just my wallet (trespassing notice for him), but after finding more and more stuff gone, that idea went out the window.

I found this love letter to his girlfriend in the trash also. Sad, but true.

Not trying to derail this thread, just venting a little. I will be holding off on any major shipments of stuff until this boils over.

I did get some cool coats for the playa Tuesday at the thrift store for 50 cents each.

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Thu May 28, 2015 2:32 pm

rideincircles: I'll be sure to look for the hexayurt staked down with bleached long bones.

Here's hoping he doesn't intercept your tickets.

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Thu May 28, 2015 8:56 pm

Okay the trailer deep cycle batteries were replaced yesterday but then both venting skylights began disintegrating. I had to take an 80 mile trip to the RV supply store for new vents. Lucky I brought the trailer along because I first bought a kind with the wrong hinge. Took them back, and got the right kind but DAMNIT they only had one. But it did fit and I replaced it right there in the parking lot. Came home and ordered the 2nd replacement. They're a bargain at $17 each but WTF the shipping on the second one is $15.00! SIGH! Oh well, it had to be done. I also bought a dual, battery powered, misting fan. That will definitely come in handy on those hot mornings when I want to sleep in!

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Joeln » Sat May 30, 2015 2:23 pm

Finished up a little art project I've been working on...
An LED representation of BRC

Also, got a co$tco carport and a big hunk of aluminet to go over it, here's my tiedowns - comments?
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Sat May 30, 2015 9:53 pm

Joeln wrote:here's my tiedowns - comments?
Your tie downs look effective, but they take up a lot of real estate. Personally, I take 2 ratchet straps and place them over the three ridge poles (top and sides), one strap over each of the middle connectors. I then attach the ends of each ratchet strap directly to the ground with 18" lag bolts and ratchet them down tight. This takes up zero real estate, but effectively holds the entire structure to the playa. After the cover is on and adjusted, I also put 12" lag bolts into the feet of the upright poles to keep the wind from moving the feet around. This works well even on early entry when the carport takes direct wind blasts from across the open playa.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

EmilyD

Post by EmilyD » Sun May 31, 2015 11:42 pm

Ordered a nifty battery powered misting fan for the trailer today.

Spent the weekend patching up the ArtCar and painting faded, peeling paint on the giant hair rollers up on the roof. It's been cold and foggy for weeks and weeks here, terrible painting weather but still, not as bad as our poor Texas friends. SHEESH!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jun 01, 2015 1:31 am

I put up my canopy/carport as a clamshell. It's only one section so I decided that I need more. I know where there is a King canopy skeleton abandoned. I'll run over there tomorrow and get permission to take it down. I'm excited. Shade structures fascinate me. Once I get the size right the fun is in the decorating.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:50 am

King canopies tend to be heavy, and rely on the tight roof to hold the joints in place. Ours are 12 years old!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:54 am

I love mine. I have one 'room' that I drilled for bolts. I used it in 2008 and 2010. Now I want to expand it to 2 rooms. (I'll have to disassemble a 3 room frame to get what I want).

Arthur Schopenhauer

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:47 pm

Got a new shirt.
twisted.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:16 pm

I ordered a replacement waterpump and trickle battery charger for my rv online. Got most everything else, deciding what NOT to take now. :coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Currently making my day-by-day schedule of events.
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”