2015 one item a day for BM list..

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
melodiousdirge
Burning Since: 2011

Re: 2015 one item a day for BM list..

Post by melodiousdirge » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:07 pm

Savannah wrote:Currently making my day-by-day schedule of events.
:shock: Shcedule? :shock:
Beware teh snarkasm

EmilyD
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Art Car Camp

Post by EmilyD » Thu Jun 04, 2015 3:08 pm

Still painting, painting, painting and painting the artcar and trailer. The more I paint, the more I see that needs paint. SIGH!
You don't have to be skinny, naked and under 30 to be a Hottie!

drop_bear
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Totenkitten

Post by drop_bear » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:24 pm

33 solenoid valves, big 12V power supply, pipe fittings, a bunch of electronics for controller. This year is gonna be even better than my first.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:15 am

melodiousdirge wrote:
Savannah wrote:Currently making my day-by-day schedule of events.
:shock: Shcedule? :shock:
Volunteer shifts & parties. :D
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Jun 05, 2015 3:02 am

And Singing: Wednesday, 11 at TamaraKay's ...

(C'mon Savannah, you know you wanna :) )
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Zubeneschamali
Camp Name: Goldies

Post by Zubeneschamali » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:58 am

Received a 10 pack of 26 inch mtn bike tubes. Can't believe the overwhelming rubber smell, shit its permeating thru the packaging.

The postman looked at me like he was thinking a call to Homeland Security might be in order......

Anyways those got stored outside quickly. Hopefully the dog doesn't think its a new toy. I'd love to setup a mini bike repair this year, feel inspired by Elliot and the Gears & Beers gang.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:08 am

trjw wrote:33 solenoid valves, big 12V power supply, pipe fittings, a bunch of electronics for controller. This year is gonna be even better than my first.
You. You sound like you throw the sort of party I like.

As for my items, I signed up for contributions to camp meals. Went camping a few weeks ago, so necessarily sorted some of the camping gear. Going to need lots of fresh batteries.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

drop_bear
Camp Name: Totenkitten

Post by drop_bear » Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Add to that four bike horns, the kind that go HONK. It's going to be a fire organ.
You. You sound like you throw the sort of party I like.
Ain't no party like a fire party cuz a fire party goes FWOOMP!

I don't think we've heard about placement for the project yet, but we'll probably be in inner playa somewhere.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:46 pm

I'll definitely keep an eye out for your fire organ, drop_bear!
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 pm

I made the 'eplaya' signs just in case anyone wants to identify their camp as belonging to this secret club. Sparkly and laminated. Also some small ones for bikes. Oh and some other signs while I was at it.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:50 pm

Ratty wrote:I made the 'eplaya' signs just in case anyone wants to identify their camp as belonging to this secret club. Sparkly and laminated. Also some small ones for bikes. Oh and some other signs while I was at it.
So, not sure you can just say stuff like that, and not even post pictures.... 8)
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 07, 2015 7:47 am

You're right Patch. Pictures or it didn't happen. So... The ones with the red border are full size 8½ by 11. I'll bring a punch, string and decorative duct tape. They are laminated and 2 sided. Not necessarily the same thing on both sides. They are made on Christmas stationary that has a shiney foil border. Same with the half sized green ones. The Potty signs are for the banks of pottys in my sector. It puts a NAME to the Potty Friend for each bank and thanks them as well as educating the masses. It's really surprising how many people don't know to turn around and look for the big garbage bag of extra toilet paper. In a perfect world there would be a Potty Friend at every pit stop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:25 am

Ratty wrote:I made the 'eplaya' signs just in case anyone wants to identify their camp as belonging to this secret club. Sparkly and laminated. Also some small ones for bikes. Oh and some other signs while I was at it.
That's a great idea!
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:24 pm

Those are GREAT, Ratty!
And, such a good idea for the TP stash... it was only during my 4th burn when I first learned of that.
Even now, I always have my own little stash of TP with me, in a little zip-lock bag, just in case.

How would one get on a list of hopefuls to have an EPlaya sign for camp?
My awesome sister, Delle, and her wonderful Kenny, and I will hope to be on 5:00 near H or I, and I'd love to hang one of those signs on the North Pole Shade, facing the street.
Last year, ^Rhino! gave me a bumper sticker that says, "Where in the hell is Delle?", which lived for the week in the windshield of my car, facing the street. (Delle & Kenny didn't make it out last year.) This year, she may want to stick it to her tent, since she doesn't really spend much time there.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:07 pm

Patch I'm glad you like them. I'll make sure you get one. I figured I'd write my name on mine so people would know who lives at my camp. Of course I have no list or plan but it will all become clear or not. I also have plans for 3 portfolio books to live somewhere with a plastic covered map in them. That idea is pulling together. I'm determined to see as many dusty faces in person as possible. I feel like a matchmaker guiding all the eplyans to each other. Or maybe the Pied Piper.

Arthur Schopenhauer

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:27 pm

The TP signs are wonderful Ratty! Thank you!

Jovankat
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:29 pm

Ratty the Pied Piper. That's silly in a way that seems to make sense.

I did two BM things today.

The first was getting a new couch for our apartment which means our current futon can go to the burn. I think it being in two pieces and fairly lightweight makes it a good candidate for going on top of our shipping container for sunset/rise watching.

The second was stocking up on some maple water from Trader Joe's. For those who don't know it's the sap from the maple tree in its regular form which is usually then boiled down to make the thicker, more concentrated maple syrup. I tried it just out of curiosity the other day and it turns out I really like it! It was a lot less sweet than I expected, very palatable, and I think it tastes vaguely of donuts. I find it much easier to drink that just regular water so I suspect it will be a real hit on the playa. I've had a bit of a look around the internet and it seems like there are also a bunch of wild health claims about it with no real science backing them up and apparently it's becoming quite fashionable, kinda like it's the new coconut water. I just like how it tastes though. :mrgreen:

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:09 pm

(150 items for BM list....)
I have in my hot little hands, 150 new copper pendants for this year... waiting on the cord, to arrive tomorrow, which will (I think, anyway) be even nicer than last year's cord. Hey, it's not PINK! (The 'pink' of last year is the very same colour as polished copper, by the way, but, Who polishes their copper on a regular basis, besides me?!!)

This is a great accomplishment, and such a huge relief to have them at this stage so early! All that's left is to polish each one, and put on the cord.

It has been duly noted, that last year's knot was insufficient some of the time. I'll do better this time, with that in mind!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:12 pm

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures! :mrgreen:

Please... :oops:

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Sun Jun 07, 2015 9:16 pm

Oh!... and, I haven't tried straight maple sap since I was a kid... didn't much care for it then, but maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought then. I'll have to give it another chance!

Here's the pendant:
BMan '15 swag 001.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:48 pm

Patch, they're beautiful.

All day I've been looking for last years journal. I just realized I threw it out. :lol: Oh well, time for a new one. I wasn't gonna take any of my advice anyway.

Arthur Schopenhauer

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:11 pm

Patsh wrote:Oh!... and, I haven't tried straight maple sap since I was a kid... didn't much care for it then, but maybe it wasn't as bad as I thought then. I'll have to give it another chance!

Here's the pendant:
BMan '15 swag 001.jpg

Oh lovely!

And I've had the opposite experience with coconut water. The cans of sweetened coconut water that have existed for years in the Asian aisle of my supermarket are great so I got really excited when coconut water started to become more popular and widely available. But most of the fashionable new coconut waters taste foul as far as I'm concerned. I'm quite happy with my maple water discovery. :)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:22 am

I adore maple, so that sounds delicious. I don't care for commercial coconut water, having had far too much of it in Diego Garcia, fresh off the tree.

Patsh, terrific work on the pendants, they're lovely.

Love the signs, Ratty. Very sparkly!

I feel like such a slacker. Slack slack slack. I didn't even pull together a theme camp for the regional.

Jovankat

Post by Jovankat » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:52 am

Do you have a Trader Joe's near you AntiM? If not I could bring you a carton. Did you end up drinking the banana tea I gave you last year?

And yes, fresh coconut water straight from the nut is WONDERFUL!

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:12 am

I did drink the tea, but think it may have gotten too hot, it tasted a bit off.

No Trader Joe's in my little town, there is one down in SLC. I would like to try it!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:36 pm

Coconut water is an unusual thing. As a person who isn't really much of a fan of coconuts or things that are considered healthy, I don't touch the stuff... but my girlfriend is a big fan. She's also very particular in her tastes, and doesn't like the majority of the stuff that's out there. What with her having an interest in health and whatnot, she reads the labels more closely than I do and is put off by some of the stuff that's in what a lot of companies are selling. She has a few different brands she likes, but says "C2O" is her current fave. From Thailand, *not from concentrate* and has pulp (though most makers offer non-pulpy versions if that's your thing).

Those signs look great, Ratty! And so do those pendants, Patsh... wow!

We picked up a few more colored LED bulbs over the weekend. We also got most of the components to build new trike batteries, and new smart charger/conditioners too (so we'll be able to take better care of the new batteries than we did with the old), all the new tarps we'll need, and the additional shade hardware for this year's nonsense. Woohoo, steamrolling forward!

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:54 pm

I came across some expired fold flat surgical grade N95 dust masks that were being tossed out and am now set for gifting dust masks whenever needed at the burn or if there is an ebola outbreak. Also, I used most of the money I got back from the Wallyworld Savings catcher app this year to get a 30 gallon Xtreme 6 cooler for $10 yesterday. This will be the dry ice cooler. Hopefully Blue Bell will be back in business before the Burn.

Still waiting to here back if UPS will cover the lag screws that disappeared from my porch. Hopefully they will, if not shipping is supposed to be free at least. I may go check the abandoned building my cousin took up residence in to see if any evidence exists from that package.

So far I have not pressed charges on him, since I find it hard to do regardless of the crap he did. I don't want my family in jail, but he has given me plenty of reasons to do so. He did say his methy girlfriend went to jail over the weekend. I would rather give him a tent and a chainsaw then send him to jail. that was the plan before a bunch of my stuff went missing. My house is secured at least so no one will be getting inside unless they really want in.

burner von braun
Burning Since: 2010

Post by burner von braun » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:47 am

I unwrapped the hexayurt this past weekend, and shook off the dust. Pulled old tape and washed it down, then set it back in the garage to dry thoroughly. I hope to start re-taping with metal tape next weekend. It looks a little faded and beat up like an old piece of luggage, with silver patches like souvenir travel stickers all over it, but I think it has at least one more solid year left in it. The door hinge needs some tlc though.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:58 pm

All the additional shade hardware and tarps (for new, changed, or expanded structures) has arrived. We also got our food permit paperwork all filled out and mailed in, too. My gf and I also finished a series of art posters we've been working on for the better part of the last year, I've been posting about that in the Work In Progress thread (in Open Discussion) and we'll be sharing that art online in the days ahead.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Post by Elderberry » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:28 pm

We just got notified we got our food permit today.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realized that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”