2015 one item a day for BM list..

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: 2015 one item a day for BM list..

Post by VultureChow » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:54 am

I put on a lovely base sunburn this weekend at Portal burn. I also managed a little bit of crochet.
Sic Semper Spectatores

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:12 pm

Aired out the sleeping bag and cot - not especially musky just because they sat (wrapped) in a shed since September

Went to the doc to get a prescription renewed - will need to call Ins co. to get an early refill in 2 weeks time

Under the heading of "Why Can't I Be This Organized IRL?" (or alternatively "How Vain Can One Be?") I got a haircut so it will be at optimum
length at the end of August -because everyone knows having it cut to that length just isn't the same
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:22 pm

I mowed the lawn today, so it will be ready to be mowed again the day before I depart to BM. Also got the new back tires for the RV last Friday.

robbidobbs
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:15 pm

That's on my "last minute stuff" list.
You know that tote that is full of ziplock bags of little critical googies like lip balm and ear plugs? Well I sorted it today.
Felt so productive.

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:30 pm

Yay! Van passed smog today. It only takes a week or so for the DMV to send me the tags, but I wanted to get it done sooner rather than later.
In dust we trust.

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:03 pm

Sic Pup wrote:...I got a haircut so it will be at optimum length at the end of August -because everyone knows having it cut to that length just isn't the same
Also an item I got done today.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:34 pm

Washed the playa blankets!

Bought some underwear. There can never be enough underwear.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:41 pm

Picked up the three cases of wine for dye day. Took Lillian back to her mom. So I won't see her again till we get back from the burn. She was still working on me to take her with me.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:48 pm

Scheduled dog for a vet visit for an abscessed tooth extraction and general cleaning so my dog/house-sitter won't need to deal with it during the 24 days I will be gone. Other than that, I keep doing little things to make everything perfect. My friend refers to it as "polishing the turd." Says I should stop and just let it happen...

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021

Post by lucky420 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:57 pm

tamarakay wrote:Picked up the three cases of wine for dye day. Took Lillian back to her mom. So I won't see her again till we get back from the burn. She was still working on me to take her with me.

this is the sad part of burning man
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:05 pm

I did the deed today. The last time was in March. I got my hair cut. I was afraid that my barber was going to charge me double -- just for the mess that I made on the floor. But, she was nice about it and only charged the regular price.

If my hair is clean, my whole body feels clean. Now with short hair again, a quick morning wash in the sink will be quick & easy and I will feel as fresh as a daisy and smell like a field of freshly cut lavender -- thanks to a bar of Dr. Bonner's lavender soap.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:08 pm

Got some canned goods for the food box: canned tuna, chili beans, bacon flavored lunch meat, and spaghetti w meatballs. Minced garlic for toast, 2 loaves sourdough, blue bonnet margarine, box of tea bags, extra large garbage bags and gallon baggies, and a Swiffer duster just for laughs. Just a regular shopping list (I know.) but the intention made it special... My water pump and lug wrench will get here next week by fedex. Still have not found a mobile glass man, so I might just tape up the back window on the pickup with plastic.

Week of the piles, a pile here and there, all over the house. :D
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Jovankat
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Methuselah's Children

Post by Jovankat » Tue Aug 04, 2015 5:27 pm

I bought a 10'x10' Deluxe Kodiak! :mrgreen:

I just wish Amazon hadn't told me how many aussie dollars it cost me :cry:

Other than that I've been staining furniture because just before the burn is the best time to re-decorate your apartment right? :roll:

Joeln
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Trained hard to build up my alcohol tolerance level...
Collapse first and avoid the rush

usurpedus

Post by usurpedus » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:56 pm

practiced my hangover today.. I'll need to get some more work in on that

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:31 am

Food boxes 97% packed. I may have gone overboard on the granola bars.

Molotov
Camp Name: "The 'Burbs"

Post by Molotov » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:17 pm

I'm bringing sis military grade MRE's that are approaching (but not past) their expiration date to gift to starving hippies. The I'll wait for their constipated screams from the portos. (That will happen if you don't get enough water with them)

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:32 pm

Found stickers, gifts, patches, and my prescription sunglasses and WiFi speaker from last year. Because they were "lost" I purchased new sunglasses and a WiFi speaker new this year. Now I have spares I guess.

I have also found that my boxes of ginger snaps and bags of jerky that I put aside for the burn are now consumed. "Oh Look! Snacks."

Tried to get an OMG ticket today for a friend but no such luck.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:38 pm

Took delivery of some 24" lag screws. I forgot about the part where most of the shank isn't threaded... hope the 10" or so of threads is sufficient to pull these into the playa :/

Did some work on my dome canopy - adding about 12" to the bottom edge so there's plenty to wrap under the bottom frame and keep it snugly in place:

Aaand, finished wiring up my overpowered (24w) blacklight umbrella project. Need to find a battery for this, as the battery I originally planned to use won't supply the 2-2.5A required (12v)

[Edit - sorry for the ginormous images... bbcode IMG resizing doesn't seem to work.]
Beware teh snarkasm

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:43 pm

Palak paneer
Clif bars
Luna bars
Vinegar
Lime juice (for drinks! . . . NOT skin)
Batteries!

. . . & Ordered some totally unnecessary fripperies online. :mrgreen:
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:01 pm

melodiousdirge, I've read that a lot of people with covered domes prefer to have a foot or so uncovered around the bottom perimeter of the dome, to maintain airflow.

My item? Three of these babies just arrived!

When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:50 pm

It took me more than one day but I finished repairing, patching, and sealing my RV roof. So happy.

And I also learned a new word... fripperies.

tamarakay

Post by tamarakay » Wed Aug 05, 2015 7:31 pm

Worked on art for anti m's home. Does that count?
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:56 pm

My God it is huge...... !
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:59 pm

Sheik, if people are getting sick from something you've served for any reason... not funny. Please reconsider your plan, people pulling stunts like that could lead the state of Nevada to either require even all the pre-packaged food servers to obtain health permits or otherwise screw up food gifting within the community.

That umbrella looks AWESOME melodiousdirge!

In the one item a day department, I've been remiss over the last week or two. Busy crazy stuff, lots of all nighters cutting parts and making things, in addition to booking orders and making supply runs. I'm also being terrible in the pictures department. I've got pics, but don't have the time to post and then embed them all.

Took advantage of deals at the local warehouse monstrosity to sort out all my own personal booze, plus we sorted all our beer. All that's left bar-wise is to get the champers sorted, as well as the mixers.

My gf and I got the last of the pizza ingredients sorted out (taste-testing and costing out), the research is the hard part so we'll end up grabbing what we need on our shop just prior to departure. To that end, I also got the materials and made a rolling cart with locking heavy duty casters, and then placed an order for a chest freezer to go onto said cart. I've also got the materials for a ramp, but haven't built that yet.

I've picked up a quarter pallet of plywood in various thicknesses, and then gotten all my CNC work done for the season. I cut a few backup ziggurat parts to replace worn components, plus my carnival toppers and then 'warpy hex' pieces for some new camp signage I'm working on. I did the finishing work on 2 of the 4 warpy hex pieces, and have 2 more to go. The toppers have all been finished, and the other parts are halfway through being painted and then coated. Materials-wise I've also gotten the stuff I need to build some bike boxes and a couple other small pieces. I got all the conduit I'll need for this year, and have cut the pieces I'll need to size. I got another big bag of zip ties, too - the previous bag was nearly empty and that's kind of a staple for us.

I placed orders for all the other pizza-related supplies for Space & Thyme, and also researched and ordered in a propane burner we'll use for our 'fancy shmancy s'mores' project. We also got some bins and containers for different projects, and all the components for the s'mores except the chocolate has been sorted out. We flight checked all the pizza tools, then replaced the batteries on the temp gun. In the battery department, we also checked out battery stock levels and grabbed big box multi-packs to cover all our needs. We also ordered and received another bottle of electrolyte tablets, as well as more 5-htp and more jumbo sized bottles of Advil. It's largely the supply for my girlfriend and I, but we go a little long to make sure all our campmates are covered. We also checked our camp first aid kit and restocked a couple things, though now that I'm typing this we probably should revisit the band-aids. it's a murphy's law thing. If you plan for it, you won't need it. If you don't, you'll wish you had 'em.

In the food department, we got all the sodas and coconut water we'll need, as well as vicious chemicals (red bull) and tomato juice and canned espresso drinks that my sweetie enjoys (different times of the day). I grabbed some shelf-stable nesquik dudes, it's a slightly guilty pleasure for me... and over the years I've found that if I've had too much to drink.... drinking milk helps to get back on an even keel. To us, being better at decadence involves being better at recovering from over-indulgence. We also picked up my gf's choice of energy bars, plus little single-serving packs of nuts, and these awesome things called oloves... single serving of olives. She's excited about those, now she can have olives as a snack she carries in her hydro pack. For me, my idea of an "energy bar" or "healthy snack" is cheese & onion crisps... the amazonian overlords now make it possible to get favorite snacks from London or Dublin, and so why not have them in BRC?

I finished designing all the new rubber stamps for this year, and then cut 24 new stamps and placed orders for the ink and materials to make the stamps. I got a couple rolls of gaffer tape, UV gaffer tape for some safety edges, and a spool of tie line.

The pull cord on our generator broke, so I got more paracord and then took the damned Honda apart to get at the pull cord and then put it all back together then did all the annual maintenance and making sure that the generator's running like new.

We already had a bunch of trash bins but weren't happy with the way we did signage for trash separation last year... so new signs have been designed.

On the sewing front, my gf has been rocking it hard on my new airship pirate designs. I am forever grateful not only for an awesome partner in crime, but someone who gets where I'm coming from on arty/creative nonsense and has haute couture seamstress skills. I feel greedy and spoiled because she's focused on making things for me right now. On one hand muhahahaha, but on the other hand we had prioritized making her new pieces earlier in the year so she already has severely awesome new pieces to enjoy in the desert. Last week I placed orders for and received a couple new steampunk-ish shirts, as well as a new pair of gogs.

I picked up a bunch of books of postcard stamps. We've designed and made some postcards - while there's no fucking way we could afford to gift stamps with them all we want to have a decent supply to get things started. Remember, folks, if you want to send a postcard out from Black Rock City you not only need an address to send it to, but proper postage. Sure you could use a regular 49 cent stamp, but postcards only need a 35 cent postcard stamp. the postcards you send out from the event (post offices in each of the plazas) will be postmarked from Black Rock City, and are as cool a Burning Man keepsake as you can get. If you can spare the $$ grab a book of postcard stamps, then use what you need for yourself and gift the rest. Give it to someone directly or take 'em to the BRC post offices, or come visit my camp (on D at 7:45) and give the perfect complementary gift to the postcards we'll be gifting hehehe.

I've probably left a bunch of stuff off, but it's been a helluva long day, I still have more work to do tonight before knocking off... then up early for more nonsense tomorrow. Cheers!

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:11 pm

caffeineslinger wrote:It took me more than one day but I finished repairing, patching, and sealing my RV roof. So happy.

And I also learned a new word... fripperies.
I've spent the last few evenings recaulking all the seams on my camper... such glamorous work huh.
But it'll be worth it to have it on the playa where it seems like a palace!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Wed Aug 05, 2015 11:33 pm

So, I'm discovering a new and totally foreign phenomenon, having been semi-retired lately, and able to take my time preparing for TTITD. Bins and piles are everywhere in the house and garage; they're all open, and subject to random culling at my whim and fancy. Trying to reduce while still covering all possibilities. (eg: do I really need 4 different colours of duct tape, or will one be OK? So then it's, "which one??")

All the things have new batteries as of yesterday.Food is covered. Water too. Delle and Kenny's stuff is packed and ready. Mine too, except for finishing the beard thingy for the Billion Bearded Lady's March.

It's just a bit weird... nothing to panic about! What shall I do instead???? Any ideas? :?
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

rideincircles
Burning Since: 2015

Post by rideincircles » Thu Aug 06, 2015 12:03 am

Got a 29dc deep cycle battery today along with the tubes for the swamp cooler setup. Will need to get started on that and now have almost all the pieces except for a float switch. I also cleaned a couple kegs and started cold crashing 3 of my beers to drop out the dry hops. Still have 25 gallons to keg.

I had a mild distraction today after diagnosing with my neighbor that my compressor went out on my house a/c right before we hit 102-105 degrees for the next ten days. Luckily I have 3 window units in storage, and odds are that I will not get it fixed until after the burn. I live in my grandparents old house and lots of things need to be fixed, but this one is pricier than most others.

Still need to cut and tape 6 panels for the hexayurt then hinge all of them and do a dry run, do a test run of the costco carport, and build the swamp cooler as the main priorities. Time is flying by the past few days and I don't see it letting up. Crunch time is getting near.

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:33 am

BoyScoutGirl wrote:melodiousdirge, I've read that a lot of people with covered domes prefer to have a foot or so uncovered around the bottom perimeter of the dome, to maintain airflow.
Hah! but I bet they don't have zippered windows and a swamp cooler! :p Wrapping under the frame is how the bottom gets secured so it doesn't flap around. 4 years of abuse now though and there were some tears in it, and in several places it was just not quite long enough so I'm adding 1' all around to take care of that and to patch over the tears. My spidey senses are also telling me to expect even more dust than usual this year, so not having a big gap at floor level will help reduce the size of the dunes inside my shelter. Hopefully.
Beware teh snarkasm

melodiousdirge

Post by melodiousdirge » Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:35 am

Got my battery powered impact driver yesterday and tried driving a 24" lag into a compacted gravel sidewalk. Seems like it should work out nicely.
Beware teh snarkasm

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”