Re: 2015 one item a day for BM list..

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:28 pm

Good. They're fabulous!!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

caffeineslinger
Burning Since: 2003

Post by caffeineslinger » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:31 pm

Savannah wrote:Oiled my beloved playa boots. :)
I read that as boobs! :shock:

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:34 pm

Those are fabulous, too!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:26 am

Oiled the boots and boobs... check!

Craziness continues... I posted a bunch of project progress in work in progress, and outfit progress in the playawear board, but as for shopping progress it's been hellova week and a half or so. I got my order of tie line and gaffer tape, woohoo!

I swear by the stuff in both cases. I picked up on both through the world of stage production and set design. Tie line is a great/strong cord that you can use for tying and untying various bits and pieces, for me it's perfect for decor and miscellaneous light duty stuff. Gaffer tape puts duct tape to shame. For most things it's stronger, but also can be peeled off without leaving that 'residue of doom' behind. It's the stuff stage hands use to secure stuff on stage, and since most productions are either traveling or using a soundstage temporarily and they can't afford to be permanently screwing up whatever they put it on. Mind you, we also bring and use duct tape in various places, but gaffer tape is just awesome. I got a couple rolls of the thinner UV-reactive stuff to mark the edges on the top of the ziggurat, since we have UV light up there it's a great and easy way to make that stuff pop.

My successful home trials of the growler I got recently led my girlfriend to want to get one for herself, so we grabbed one of those.. along with a couple more flip-top bins, and then some smaller modular bins to use for her fancy shmancy s'mores supplies. We also ordered and have received a high pressure burner to use with that. It's a nice and solid piece, made out of cast iron so as things evolve we can build and attach it to art. Our original intention for the fancy shmancy s'mores was to have the marshmallow toasting thing itself be a piece of art, but in the end there wasn't time or bandwidth to get that sorted.

We also have ordered and received a new chest freezer for use with space & thyme. Hooray, but DAMMIT. The thing arrived with a bit of a dent in the corner. It doesn't appear to be too big a deal, since it looks to be cosmetic only and having run the thing for 24 hours now it seems to be mechanically sound. The place we ordered it offered a gift card to keep it, so now it's just a matter of getting them to just credit our card instead of giving us a gift card we'll never use.

I also ordered and got in some clip-on suspenders. I already have the button-on kind that I wear with old-timey victorian/steampunk pants that have suspender buttons on them, but I wanted something that I could use with any pair of pants. I have this tendency to lose a bunch of weight in August as I'm racing around trying to get everything done, and that makes clothes that normally fit alright in defaultia seem loose or baggy on the playa. Tightening my belt doesn't really do the trick, and I find myself constantly having to pull up loose pants. Yeah, I'm that lazy :mrgreen:

In the supplies department, I got my shipment in from the rubber stamp company. I design and make my own rubber stamps on a laser cutter, but ordered in the wood blocks and double-sided spongy tape and some new inkpads and ink refills to replace the aging and crappy stuff we had for our rubber stamp bar. I'll hopefully get the stamps put together by the weekend, then go through the supplies and get those bins all packed up. I also got the order for the space & thyme stickers that go onto the pizza boxes, woohoo! Man, things are getting close!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:49 am

Whoops, I forgot to mention the camp t-shirts. I'd finished the design a couple weeks ago and then set up a group order page with the people we get them printed through. That finished up and the order got placed last week, but then the proof came up on Tuesday and was horrifically bad... something was definitely lost in translation. They're a good company though, so I pinged them with my concerns, and they went back to the drawing board. Still not acceptable, so I told them I could re-send the original art in whatever file format worked best for them (the original upload was on a web form, and clearly something wasn't coming through). They let me know, I re-sent the art, and BOOM.... this morning they sent me the perfect proof I was looking for. I added a couple more to the mix for myself, because I'm just the sort of loon that enjoys wearing camp shirts as casual wear, and we're good to go.

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:16 am

I have a pile of old tossed fencing that was discarded due to knots, cracks and blemishes. Every year I make my signs on a few of these and then burn them at the end of the event. Yesterday I dug out some old spray paint and magic markers and worked on advertising. Up-cycling, taking something that others thought was useless and using it to satisfaction, showing that even amateur output can be fun and is in the reach of all, non-permanence, huffing spray paint, ending it all in the flames.... Burn, baby!

Here are the signs for my bar this year. On one side, Last Bar on Earth, on the reverse side, First Bar on Playa. I will hang this on the trash fence at point 3 when drinks are served.
lastbar.jpg
firstbar.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

danibel
Burning Since: 2009

Post by danibel » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:25 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:Right with you Danibel. Six new tires on the dually, four new rolls of RV-type toilet paper, and my A/C works but it's not as cold as it's supposed to be, might go get it recharged before we head out.

what is "RV-type" toilet paper? Can't you just us a one-ply?

Crossing my fingers the AC is just a recharge and a check of the system. Even better if it's just the coolant!
In dust we trust.

motskyroonmatick
Camp Name: B.R.C. Welding&Repair

Post by motskyroonmatick » Thu Aug 13, 2015 8:56 pm

Got my new playa bike today. Wanted one of these for years. Mongoose fattire.
Black Rock City Welding & Repair. The Night Time Warming Station. iGNiTE! Bar.

Card Carrying Member BRCCP.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Thu Aug 13, 2015 11:19 pm

Motsky congrats. You'll be stylin now.

Danibel I had a converstion with Robbi Dobbs just today about that. (I'm giving a short talk tomorrow night at a burner hack gathering). It's not just that it's single ply. The more expensive tp has cotton in it instead of just paper pulp. You can put it in a jar of water and shake it up. If it breaks down quickly it will go through the processing on site. If it doesn'tbreak down, well, it's going to clog the 'gloppata gloppata' machine and cause a big problem. Robbi also said you can tear it slowly and if it stretches as you pull it has cotton. Who knew?
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

danibel

Post by danibel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:31 am

well crap! who knew?

I buy the single rolls at Kmart. I just tested a piece and it didn't "stretch" at all. It ripped right away. Captain? Where do you buy your RV safe stuff? Brand?
In dust we trust.

Dr. Pyro
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 am

Never let it be said that Robbidobbs doesn't know her shit.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:31 am

I just picked up my customary six bottles of Veuve Clicquot Brut to accompany the Escargot with lemon & butter sauce on toast tips that I serve as appetizers to the airport runway build crew Tuesday evening before the event.

They may be a cantankerous, dusty and crusty ol' crew of guys and gals who are normally in-fighting amongst themselves and generally difficult to get along with, but they do enjoy fine dining and I try not to disappoint.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

skippy3k
Camp Name: 8:15 and J....or close to it.

Post by skippy3k » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:41 am

danibel wrote:Captain? Where do you buy your RV safe stuff? Brand?
I'll jump in on this...you can pick it up at any camping or RV place, ie camping world.
I'm a fixer. I fix things.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:03 am

Meathunter, I just decided when I'll come looking for you.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Sic Pup

Post by Sic Pup » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:23 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:(I usually use rope, duct tape, solid gauge electric wire, faith and spit for all my fixin's and repairs).

Tell me about it, I'm a real hack, I have more ideas than I have skills, talent or experience. In my(this) case, it was a coconut, BBQ tongs, pipe hanger, pipe clamps, and a wheel. Inspired by this:

[media]

This work in progress:

[media]

I keep telling myself should be doing a million other things (and just got a larger wheel to slow it down a bit)
"Enjoy every sandwich" - W. Zevon

Savannah
Burning Since: 2023

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:24 pm

Lonesomebri wrote:I have a pile of old tossed fencing that was discarded due to knots, cracks and blemishes. Every year I make my signs on a few of these and then burn them at the end of the event. Yesterday I dug out some old spray paint and magic markers and worked on advertising. Up-cycling, taking something that others thought was useless and using it to satisfaction, showing that even amateur output can be fun and is in the reach of all, non-permanence, huffing spray paint, ending it all in the flames.... Burn, baby!

Here are the signs for my bar this year. On one side, Last Bar on Earth, on the reverse side, First Bar on Playa. I will hang this on the trash fence at point 3 when drinks are served.
lastbar.jpg
firstbar.jpg
I love the "Last Bar on Earth" and "First Bar on the Playa" signs!
motskyroonmatick wrote:Got my new playa bike today. Wanted one of these for years. Mongoose fattire.
Congratulations! :D I was admiring one of those on the street just the other day. They look like they would be hella bouncy and pleasant over rutted playa.
*** The Burning Man Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:42 pm

Refilled the propane tank on the RV, and found a place to store 800 square feet of Reflectix inside that moose. I hope it's enough to cover the thing when I get there; it sure was a hassle to stow it on board. Does that stuff really work to keep the vehicle cooler? I hope so, because it sure was expensive getting that much of it. At least it doesn't weigh much; it just takes up a lot of space.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:25 pm

gaminwench wrote:Those are fabulous, too!
They're okay. :D

robbidobbs
Camp Name: Pottie Central

Post by robbidobbs » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:47 pm

Drove to the library and printed my ticketfly orders.
Now I had paper documentation & long numbers to look up for the fun Will Call folks.
Yesterday I sent a selfie to the DPW volunteer coordinator. I'm not photogenic, but it is my face as requested.

danibel

Post by danibel » Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:34 pm

A thorough inspection, 3 lbs of refrigerant, and $216 later, my van blows AC at 40 degrees. Weeeee! It is what I expected. Tomorrow - new shoes! 4 new tires tomorrow. The last little thing I need to do to the van is put on the new windshield wipers.

I have a piece of outdoor carpet I was going to try to cut for a custom fit in the van "living room." But if I don't get to that before leaving, it's not a biggie. The main thing is that the van smogged, the tags are coming in the mail, the AC works (!), and new tires! YAY.
In dust we trust.

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:14 pm

Savannah wrote:
Lonesomebri wrote:I have a pile of old tossed fencing that was discarded due to knots, cracks and blemishes. Every year I make my signs on a few of these and then burn them at the end of the event. Yesterday I dug out some old spray paint and magic markers and worked on advertising. Up-cycling, taking something that others thought was useless and using it to satisfaction, showing that even amateur output can be fun and is in the reach of all, non-permanence, huffing spray paint, ending it all in the flames.... Burn, baby!

lastbar.jpg
firstbar.jpg
I love the "Last Bar on Earth" and "First Bar on the Playa" signs!
motskyroonmatick wrote:Got my new playa bike today. Wanted one of these for years. Mongoose fattire.
Yah I tried fantapants's one out years ago and have wanted one ever since. Super smooth riding and very good in soft playa. I'm putting it together tonight. :D YAY!
Congratulations! :D I was admiring one of those on the street just the other day. They look like they would be hella bouncy and pleasant over rutted playa.

When you pass the 4th "bridge out!" sign; the flaming death is all yours.-Knowmad-

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Fri Aug 14, 2015 6:49 pm

Just going through existing stuff, demooping even more. Bought some beer for the first bar on the playa.

Oh! Restocked some first aid kit stuff.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

motskyroonmatick

Post by motskyroonmatick » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:16 pm

Wow! I did a hellofajob on that post!
:D

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:17 pm

Savannah wrote:
gaminwench wrote:Those are fabulous, too!
They're okay. :D
One item a day: I'm hoping that tonight I can get in the first solid sleep since letting these words get past my eyes and enter my brain as rogue thoughts.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 4 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

gaminwench
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Fri Aug 14, 2015 7:58 pm

Just to keep you up, Bri ... Savannah is being modest!!!

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:30 pm

LonesomeBri, I'm loving that signage!

Damn, Meat, that's some fancy-assed bubbly! I sorted my darling's plonk out the other day, and picked up 2 1/2 cases of prosecco (the moniker for sparkling wine of Italian persuasion), as well as some stuff we'd planned for gifting. Hopefully that just about finishes our booze-tastic buying for the season.

Congrats, Danibel! I don't think I've ever even attempted to use the AC on our cargo van, in all the years we've had it. I'm partial to windows down, myself, but I imagine it's long since lost any charge it may have had (we bought it second-hand, it's a 98).

We picked up a spot of carpeting to use as a mat around the entrance to our shipping container. Once we finish unloading and setting up, our plan/hope is for my gf and I to move into that and live in there during the event, the carpet will help minimize the amount of dust in there.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:45 pm

Trilo,

After a few snorts of rum, they probably will not be able to tell the difference between the juice that I am bringing and a gallon jug of Thunderbird. Well, maybe one or two of them will be able to tell the difference.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:48 pm

trilobyte wrote:LonesomeBri, I'm loving that signage!

Damn, Meat, that's some fancy-assed bubbly! I sorted my darling's plonk out the other day . . .
Heehee.

I don't even know why that's funny.
and picked up 2 1/2 cases of prosecco (the moniker for sparkling wine of Italian persuasion)
You're doing a very poor job of keeping me out of your camp. :lol:

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:50 pm

trilobyte wrote:....... the carpet will help minimize the amount of dust in there.

Ya, right. Sure. you betcha. :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”