Internet and phone

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Re: Internet and phone

Post by digital » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:53 pm

jeanerz66 wrote:My boyfriend, on the other hand, is a bit nervous about it as he runs the IT department of a big company, so this will be an interesting experience for him.
Same here. My first year I was VERY nervous to be out there without the ability to monitor systems. However, people claiming there is no internet, phone, comms are speaking from 90's information. Tell him not to worry, there are plenty of ways to get online. Center camp for one.

otakup0pe
Burning Since: 2012

Post by otakup0pe » Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Being on call while in the desert sounds terrible. That being said, I'm hoping I manage to keep my camp's wifi up for more than a few days this year. In 2014 it was fine until the NOC went out during the storm. I have a feeling that my alignment slipped during the storm and since I never corrected it out station was kicked off the network. Going to try and aim it better this year !

digital
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Post by digital » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:15 pm

otakup0pe wrote:In 2014 it was fine until the NOC went out during the storm. I have a feeling that my alignment slipped during the storm and since I never corrected it out station was kicked off the network. Going to try and aim it better this year !
To my knowledge, that had nothing to do with the storm. Some asshat decided to torrent TV shows (Dr Who I think) on Monday, taking down the network. Once this problem was identified things were back up. Don't torrent in BRC!

Sham

Post by Sham » Fri May 01, 2015 12:13 am

I have never been able to get a cell phone call out of BRC once the week got underway. There are limited cell phone paths from the tower in Gerlach, and there is not much incentive for all the cell phone companies to increase capacity for a one week spike. For those not aware, Gerlach is extremely remote and has very few residents, with many of them elderly.

My Camp is 150 feet from Center Camp, and I can occasionally get a weak WiFi signal. There are a few areas that have stronger signals, but for the most part, they are unreliable. Even the org has a private network for administration purposes, and that is also quite precarious.

Once again, no one should plan on anything that resembles reliable service or connections to the outside world. You may or may not get something. On more than one occasion, I have driven out to use the payphone in Gerlach to check in with my office. I now tell them that I most likely will not be able to contact them for 10 days. That works the BEST! 8)

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Fri May 01, 2015 4:57 am

My philosophical take: Working vacations, ugh. What would happen if that "essential" person were hit by a bus? Someone would step up. Let them, and let the time away be truly free time off. A good time for others to practice filling the bill. Not everyone has the same reality, I know, but I was to essential to the Navy for a long time and it sucked. When I was allowed to take time off, I made sure I was out of touch or they would have called me for every little hiccup. Train and delegate is the way to go.

Family members and care situations, that's different. Do what is needed.

We have OnStar in our pickup, so could make calls in case of emergency. But don't tell anyone.

jeanerz66
Burning Since: 2015

Post by jeanerz66 » Fri May 01, 2015 10:13 am

My philosophical take: Working vacations, ugh. What would happen if that "essential" person were hit by a bus? Someone would step up. Let them, and let the time away be truly free time off. A good time for others to practice filling the bill. Not everyone has the same reality, I know, but I was to essential to the Navy for a long time and it sucked. When I was allowed to take time off, I made sure I was out of touch or they would have called me for every little hiccup. Train and delegate is the way to go.
Man oh man did I learn that the hard way on my first "vacation" from work. I was being bugged on Christmas Eve for the stupidest things. Trained and delegated the next time around and writing a job Bible before we leave for BM! Beyond that they're on their own :)

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Fri May 01, 2015 10:28 am

So, if I was.... if someone was to torrent TV shows, that might take down the whole internet network for everyone in BRC...?

Can't say that I find my own enjoyment of TV to be trumped by others connection to their job.... while we are both on vacation.

I've been meaning to download Spark for some time now.......
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”