Sleep apnea burners, are you out there?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
nolongerharry
Burning Since: 2012

Sleep apnea burners, are you out there?

Post by nolongerharry » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:43 am

Let's discuss survival strategies!

I'm coming for the third time from Europe, which is a hassle in itself. This time I'm bringing my new diagnosis and biomechanical cyborg parts (CPAP) in the hopes of giving my new, well rested self the burn it deserves.

Are there any other hose heads out there? How do you keep yourself powered? Does your pipes clog with dust? How do you explain all this to your campmates?

VultureChow
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Re: Sleep apnea burners, are you out there?

Post by VultureChow » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:58 am

Welcome. There has been some discussion here before (primarily on the power issue). Take a look at this thread: https://eplaya.burningman.org/viewtopic ... 77&t=70551
Sic Semper Spectatores

nolongerharry

Post by nolongerharry » Sat Mar 07, 2015 7:38 am

Thanks! I wasn't actually looking for technical information, but someone to swap stories with :)

ygmir
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: qqqq

Post by ygmir » Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:05 am

I may well be making stories, testing and such is underway..
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

maladroit

Post by maladroit » Sat Mar 07, 2015 3:49 pm

Have taken a machine out there for three years. If you have a deep cycle battery and a good power inverter (test for a few nights before trying it on the playa), it's just not a big deal. You can make a box for it with some extra air filtering if you want to get fancy.

The only real problem is that you KNOW you will snore in a loud and disturbing fashion if you ever get tempted by a comfy couch or hammock in someone's shade structure. So there is a lot of pressure to make it back to your home base each night.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:28 pm

The stallion wears one. Battery powered and we have a generator if it needs recharging. Since we are the tent and I sleep with him year round he didn't have to explain it to me lol. He keeps it in a plastic box, sealed when not in use.
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Mar 08, 2015 12:21 am

Ygmir is defini :mrgreen: tly a snorer.
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Sun Mar 08, 2015 8:28 am

Just got a replacement.. The old one could run 12v DC.. Haven't figured the new machine yet.. Good thread for me..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

tatonka
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Rancho Deluxe

Post by tatonka » Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:12 am

my motorcycle buddy snores bad , when we go on mc trips we stay in motels. When he starts snore if I dont have ear plugs , i would throw a pillow on his head
and reduce the sound. One night he wakes up as Im placing the pillow over his face :)
Those who are able to see beyond the shadows and lies of their culture will never be understood, let alone believed by the masses.
-Plato

If a good man is offered power , he has to lower himself to pick it up .

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Mon Mar 09, 2015 12:04 am

I've used mine every year since 2010.

I bring extra filters, sometimes I put in a fresh one each night.

For protection purposes I wrap the CPAP in my sleeping bag during the day.

Mine is humidified and I swear everyone might enjoy using a humidified CPAP because I never get congested (no playa buggers and I think this is because I use a humidified CPAP).

I've powered mine off the grid, from a deep cycle marine battery w/inverter, borrowed power from a neighboring RV etc etc. Each year I find power, some years it's easier than others.

Btw, if you fall asleep in some random camp and you're sitting upright, you usually won't snore (and if you do I highly doubt it'll garner much more than a few chuckles).

A CPAP is a life saving device and sleep apnea is a life threatening condition. It sucks to go without proper air, especially out on the playa (I know this due a power issue in 2012).

Good luck and probably wise to read the thread Vulture Chow pulled up. IMHO there should be as much discussion about this as possible (mods...combine the threads if you feel it's needed but please don't ever lock them).

Have a healthy burn! :)
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

nolongerharry

Post by nolongerharry » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:10 pm

Woah, replies! Here I was feeling lost and lonely and it turns out I just had to read my email!

So, I've applied for a nights worth of battery and a 12v inverter on quality of life grounds (told the doc I had to go into the desert and build stuff). My district is supposedly quite liberal with this stuff, but it's a stretch. If it doesn't pan out I'll have to jury rig something that doesn't come with a medical equipment price tag and still fits in a suitcase together with all the costumes.

My previous burns I've basically slept anywhere and everywhere (sleep apnea does not make you bad at falling asleep), at most I went three days without even seeing my camp. Snoring is not so much an issue, I have lots of nasty central apneas, which also rules out mechanical solutions like an apnea guard. I'll get to test all this at the Spanish regional first, where I've traditionally just slept in a big pile of people at one of the chill out camps. That I'll miss!

Bringing a humidifier is probably worth the extra space. The winters here are very dry, like the playa, and I get so clogged without it treatment stops working.

tamarakay
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by tamarakay » Sat Mar 14, 2015 3:15 pm

If you need to, bring the battery over and we will charge it for you
When the only tool you got is a hammer, every problem looks like a hippie.

Mmmmmm I love the smell of Burning Man - Token

Getting overly dramatic about the ticket sale process is so 2012. - Maladroit

http://www.dyewithdignity.com

moonrise

Post by moonrise » Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:27 pm

My CPAP has a built in humidifier (maybe yours does, too)? Be very careful not to splash the (distilled) water on the unit, this destroyed my first CPAP just a few months before my every 5 year replacement allowed by my insurance Co's DME terms allowed. I had to buy a new CPAP out of pocket, ugh! Fleabay saved me a lot of $ on a refurbished unit and there are other refurbished CPAP websites out there, too.
I'm the MAN in a truck, burner who is stuck, you're in luck! I'll whip out my BIG tow chain and not charge you, not even one lousy buck!

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:28 pm

Depending on the model, most CPAPs are 12 volt!!!

Usually the AC cord is converting to 12 volts.

Check to see if they sell an adaptor cord for yours.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:07 pm

I"m seeing, *including the one I'm getting*, 24V. still quite doable.
and it seems most come with a travel adapter option.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Post by pretty_monster » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:20 pm

i don't have one but a mate in a previous camp did. he used a deep cycle marine battery and i don't think he even recharged it once the whole burn. if you do need a recharge, most people with a genny will hook you up or you can cart it over to snowkone.

not a war story but... um... i know he used one and he survived the burn *shrug*

if you're travelling from overseas, maybe consider waiting 'til you get here to buy a battery. seems silly to travel with one when you can pick them up at any auto store. and i'm sure someone would be happy to take it off your hands at the end of the burn. lots of people use 'em on the playa for power.
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

Papa Bear
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Astral Headwash. Not a Placer

Post by Papa Bear » Thu Mar 19, 2015 10:24 pm

I used one last year (with humidifier, which was *great*), and had no problems running it off a 12V deep cycle marine battery. Can't really say for sure how long I was able to run, though - that battery powered some other things, and I did recharge it a couple of times (though I was out there for two weeks).

My approach for battery sizing was to go to cpap.com, look up the battery system for my machine, check the specs tab to see how many aH it was, and then use their runtime estimator at the bottom of the page to figure out how long it would run.

From there, it was easy to size out a much cheaper marine battery elsewhere.

nolongerharry

Post by nolongerharry » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:08 pm

So I got my hands on an original Resmed battery, supposedly made to last 8-13 hours. It lasted four. I'm a bit miffed about that. My guess is that there's nothing wrong with it, just my settings and humidifier consuming more than the normal amount of power. I'm on the phone with the hospital tomorrow.

A larger battery that'd last me the week would be amazing! It won't be free, but buying one over there and getting storage for it might not be the worst idea. Then I could get a nice tent too!

My machine is 24v, and I now have a 12v inverter. So if I just had a working battery..

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:04 pm

nolongerharry wrote:So I got my hands on an original Resmed battery, supposedly made to last 8-13 hours. It lasted four. I'm a bit miffed about that. My guess is that there's nothing wrong with it, just my settings and humidifier consuming more than the normal amount of power. I'm on the phone with the hospital tomorrow.

A larger battery that'd last me the week would be amazing! It won't be free, but buying one over there and getting storage for it might not be the worst idea. Then I could get a nice tent too!

My machine is 24v, and I now have a 12v inverter. So if I just had a working battery..
humidifier uses more power, and even moreso if heated type. I"m sure the power rating is for the basic unit, sans humidifier and such.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Rusted Iron

Post by Rusted Iron » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:26 pm

It will be nice when the implantable devices become affordable. A tiny shock in the chest every time you stop breathing and you are as right as dust...

section1201
Burning Since: 2007

Post by section1201 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:23 pm

It's been 4 years since this topic had any attention... what's new since then?

I'll be at my 10th burn this year, but it will be my first as a CPAP user -- my only experience with battery power CPAP in cold-night camping has been, too much condensation in the nose piece. (Cold outside air, + warm exhaling air = rain.) So I'll probably start with the "humidifier" feature off, but then see how it goes.

Any other developments on this front since 2015...?

ygmir

Post by ygmir » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:21 pm

I built a non powered humidifier, that works pretty well.
5 gallon bucket, air plenum and high surface area material, so air flowing over it picks up enough moisture to help, and it uses way less power, since you're not running the heater for the humidifier to work. Otherwise, tech is about the same as far as I know.
YGMIR

Unabashed Nordic
Pagan

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”