To burn, or to smoulder and die?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
RoadWarrior

To burn, or to smoulder and die?

Post by RoadWarrior » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:03 am

Hi folks,

This is a bit of a strange story I guess. I've been having a bit of an odd week, I can't get burning man out of my head. This may not sound unusual, but the fact is, I've never physically been there.

I guess I've been aware of the existance of some kind of thing called burning man since the mid 90s, it would get mentioned occasionally in the fringes of the counter cultures I have in passing meshed with. I wasn't aware however of it as more than a bit of an arty party or festival as far as I can recall. I guess I just didn't think about it.

Anyway, what tripped me off, was some media photos of some of this years art installations, it just made me think there was more to burning man, that I should look into sometime. Then last week sometime, I caught a mention or two on a couple of different websites, that reminded me I was going to find out about it. Finally, early this week, I load up burningman.com and start reading.....

BANG headrush, I had had a dream about burning man a year or two ago, and I hadn't understood it. Now I did, I had dreamed of being at burning man. It's really irritating that I can't remember more of the dream, but I was definitely camping on some desert dry lake bed and there was a sort of wierd carnival happening. I remember only of my state of mind in the dream that I was concerned about preparing camp for the conditions, and not losing anyone, I had just arrived I think. I can't remember who I had with me, I'm fairly positive my wife was with me. There may have been other people I knew there, but I can't clearly recall. This dream was probably more than a year old when I remembered it, and as such details are very sketchy. It was also the sort of dream one remembers only for it's wierdness and not for how much sense it made. I think the brain rejects things it doesn't understand, thus there's a lot I probably subconsciously threw out that could explain things now I seem to have a reference point. As far as I am aware I had not consciously assimilated the information before this week of the situation of black rock city being in the high desert. Thus I had no clue where that dream came from until I started reading the burningman.com site.

So that first day of realisation, I had learned a little about burning man, but was mainly just REALLY spaced out by the dream connection, and was racking my brains for more details, and even trying to see if I could figure out when I had the dream. Since it would have been interesting to note if I had had it at the time a burning man was happening. I can't even pin it down to a year though, let alone a month.

After a nights sleep, though no enlightenment has seemed to come from dreams so far this week, I was less spun out about it, but began to get one hell of an itch in my head about BM, so I started reading more of the site, all the faqs, the event archives, just a few of the pics to get a taste. Having absorbed all that the itch was far from satiated, and I found the eplaya here and started reading this too. As I read the experiences of people and heard tell of the things going on, I found I was visualising them better than one might expect to visualise something one has not consciously experienced. It felt like I knew what it was like already. That probably sounds arrogant to long time burners, but it's how I feel at this time, I realise there is plenty of opportunity for my de/il-lusions to be vaporised.

Ouch this is getting long winded, I hope you'll bear with me to the point and central question this brings up to me at the end.

So trying to rationalise how I come so close to feeling one with the burner spirit, while still physically being an outsider, I realised, that I have had some experiences that touch on aspects of the experience and have points of similarity. For instance, the leave no trace and self sufficient aspect of the camping, is familiar to me from boyhood camping with the Scouts. We often had to bring in all water, have fires off the ground, collect grey water to take away with us, walk the site when we packed up for stray litter/pegs, down to taking care of the grass we had pitched on by teasing it upright again and watering it. Then there was the one great jamboree I attended. It was all more organised and mainstream of course, but within that framework there was some room for expression. We made costumes for the theme, we decorated our camp, we hosted activities for the other camps, as they did for us, and there was a big celebration at the end. That was a great experience for me. (Heh, now I'm probably REALLY upsetting oldtimers by comparing BM to Scout camps, but I hope you get the drift that these are the points of reference I am observing from)

Over the last few days I have been talking myself into and out of becoming a burner, there are the experiential arguments for, and the practical arguments against. I am trying to rationalise the dream into this too, whether it was a message to illustrate a path not taken when it should have been, a missed opportunity in the past, or whether it is an encouragement for the future, or whether it is a neutral "this will happen" dream, possibly even a warning.

The reason I seriously considered it might be a dream of something I had missed, a path I should have taken, is because when I wondered about that, it was very easy to pinpoint a time in my life where I would have been ripe for the mental development, expansion of awareness and absorption of wisdom that a BM experience has the potential to bring. I think that had I had the experience then, that maybe 5 years of self shrinkery following that time would have been avoided, and I would have been more comfortable in myself sooner. Also at that time, fate dealt me a hand that would have meant that I could have attended without too much worry about material details. I am not altogether sure of my level of awareness of BM at that time though and whether I missed a "clue" or not. The thing that places a little doubt on that was that my wife was with me in the dream and I didn't know her then.

There is no particular reason to suppose it is an encouragement for the future, because I have never had dreams like that. I have I think dreamed of the past, different ways things could have happened. I do dream of the future though, I have real "deja vu" moments, however they are hard to define in terms of what they mean.

Previous dreams I have had of future events, I have often remembered sketchily, but there will be one or two frames of dream stuck in my mind, that when they sync with reality, will pull me up with a jerk and make me realise I dreamed them before. Often, oh woe too often, I am rationalising these dreams away when I am waking up, since mostly I dream of present and past, so I discard things in dreams that don't seem to match my current mindset and this seems to contribute to forgetting of most of the dream, they seem very real, but just things that jibe with my expectations will make me discount them as "Weird". This I think is because I have just plain real wierd dreams too, or symbolic dreams that I know are not reality, purely symbolic dreams seem easier to remember since I don't seem to try to rationalise them into reality on waking. Anyway, in the past my dreams of the future have often been of really mundane situations, however they usually have details that stick out as "wrong" at the time because they are details that do not currently exist. I have very rarely pre-empted deja vu by realising the situation before the reality catches up, and when I have it hasn't been all that enlightening.

What I notice in common about these deja-vus however, are that they show me myself at a time of stress, when I am pre-occupied about something or there is something I have to do worrying me. The thing I am pre-occupied, worrying or stressed about does not seem to manifest in the dream. What I am actually dreaming OF is usually some avoidance activity or mundane task that I am doing at the time of this stress, some time where I am usually trying to avoid thinking about what is bothering me, not sure whether I am always procrastinating about it as may have been the case once or twice, or am just looking for diversion because it's something that I am actually powerless about or conceive that I am powerless about and can do nothing. Then when I am actually in that deja-vu moment and the deja-vu is realised, it inevitably spins my head out a bit, but sometimes makes me think "I dreamed this, this situation is important" and maybe it makes me re-evaluate the stress situation or motivates me to deal with it. Even though the thing that I actually dream of invariably has nothing to do with the situation it seems to provoke action upon or re-evaluation of.

Therefore, this is what makes me try to second guess the BM dream, the dream of being there may not in itself be the significant part. Maybe there is something going on in my life that I tried to avoid or ignore by going to burning man. Obviously should that be the situation, it might be advisable to not go to the BM and deal with real life instead. However, it could also be that the stress element is about a different aspect of burning man than I dream of, maybe I'm fussing overly about getting camped as a counter to the stress of setting up an exhibit, prolonging the setting up of the shelter beyond the essential to delay something which might fail or be laughed at. Maybe it would be general anxiety about "fitting in" I don't know. Anyway, the point at which the deja-vu "takes" usually seems to be pivotal in changing my mind, or re-evaluating or actioning something "important" outside of the situation currently being experienced.

So the questions I have to answer are.
Did I dream of BM as a missed opportunity and should I let it go, or fulfill it late?
Did I dream of BM as a warning, not to go there to escape something important?
Did I dream of BM to set up one of those "triggers" to change an attitude and that I am there is informational and not significant to the dream or the outcome?
Did I dream of BM because it's "home" and it was calling me?

Which leads to the biggie....

Should I attend BM in the not too distant future or not????

Of course, learning the rumour on these boards that 2005s theme is dreams and the subconscious or something like that, sent a bit of a firestorm through my poor neurons, since it almost seemed too much of a coincidence. That has got me in two moods too, since it almost seems to "force" me to go for 2005, when my common sense tells me this is more likely to lead to an avoidance of real life problems than taking it easy and planning for a 2006 visit. The reason I say that is because I have real life shelter and material issues I can't see being fully solved before late august next year.

make of that little lot what you will, thanks for bearing through the whole post, words of wisdom greatly appreciated,

Road Warrior

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:31 am

1: Check out regional events and networks
http://regionals.burningman.com/

2: Start saving your money, making your costumes, collecting your camping gear, and working on your gifts.

3: Just bloody go. It's the only way you go for sure. And if you go and don't like it, no one will hit you on the head. Unless, of course, you're in 3 stooges camp.
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

Zulegoona

Post by Zulegoona » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:49 pm

I say go, 2004 was my first year, I was hooked on line after hearing about it on public radio. I hadn't remembered having any dreams about it till I was on the playa then was struck with some striking déjà vu experiences that seemed to last longer than misfiring neurons could explain. I am sure I was remembering dreams, well that and dehydration or altitude sickness.

I had a good time, though I didn't have any aha flashes of insight, and that started to depress me because the trip had felt like it was going to be an artistic/ spiritual transformational experience, and it wasn't working out that way. Mid week I realized that even though I had tried to rid myself of expectations I hadn't let go of the biggies, I hadn't automatically become more out going, I hadn't connected with people the way I had thought I should, and so on. Realizing this I was able to let those expectations go. I was then able to enjoy the people I had connected with better and be more open to the experiences I was having.

I do feel it was a transformational experience that is still working it's magic. In Jungian therapy your told not to expect the kind of aha moments you see on TV and in the movies, but more of a slow evolutionary change in the way you see and feel about things, that's how Burning Man is working on me. My Burning Man experience is still getting better every day.

Go! Do your best to get rid of expectations, let go of searching to find the dream connections. Be open to being who you are and all that is around you. Don't expect to fully digest the experience till long after it's over. Have a good time!

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:40 pm

Should I attend BM in the not too distant future or not????
I say you already have your own answers.

Listen to your inner voice(s) rather than our individual or collective ones. Your voice(s) already knows what the elephant looks like. We're just stumbling at guess based on what you wrote.

theCryptofishist
Burning Since: 2017

Post by theCryptofishist » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:45 pm

Sure, Iso, be the voice of wisdom. See if I care.

(btw--nice to see you on the board again, it's been awhile and there was [eyebrow wiggle]speculation.[/eyebrow wiggle])
The Lady with a Lamprey

"The powerful are exploiting people, art and ideas, and this leads to us plebes debating how to best ration ice.
Man, no wonder they always win....." Lonesomebri

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:35 pm

Since you are going to smoulder and die anyway ...

I say burn, what the hell!
Pabst Blue Ribbon - The beer that made Gerlach famous.

Dork

Post by Dork » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:46 pm

Dreams are just indicators of unanswered questions floating around in your head. Coincidences are too.

You have a choice:

1) Go to Burning Man.
2) Regret not going for the rest of your life.

What have you got to lose other than a small (when spread out over a year) amount of money and one week of your life. Start saving $3 a day and do it. Maybe you'll love it and it will change your life, maybe it will suck and you'll have some wacky stories to tell. Only one way to find out. It's already grabbed a foothold in your brain and shows no signs of letting go.

RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Thanks guys for the encouragement.

I just got a hefty dose of reality though when I did some preliminary figures on the logistics. I'm in Ontario, I'm the best part of 3000 miles away from Black Rock. Well some measurements say closer to 2500 but it's still a hell of a way. I'm figuring that for a minimum one way gas cost of $300 possibly a heck of a lot more, since the vehicle would be well loaded, and I can't really pick and choose gas stations that much. Then I figure to squish it all into 2 weeks away from reality, we'd have to drive non-stop with 3 drivers, for 3 days straight. 3 people in the vehicle mean luggage space is kind of limited, can't see getting a getting a whole hell of a lot more in than if one was backpacking, since for 2500 miles worth, I'm not loading the sucker up like I would for a few days at the lake a dozen or two miles away. Then I'm not sure my vehicle would make it, could probably spend $1000 or so on it (in parts) and only end up 50% more confident. Actually I'd be crazy not to spend that money on it, this thing is a wreck. U-hauls sound good unless you've ever actually driven one, then you realise you're just trusting your neck to an unknown wreck, I'd sooner jump in my wreck right now without even changing the oil or checking the tires and chance 2.5K in it :D

Anyhoo, what with time off work, burnfood, roadfood, gas, tickets, burn specific equipment etc, I figure I'm in the mid $2000 range, that's before improving my vehicle to the point of confidence in it. "$3 a day is enough if you split that 3 ways" hmmm maybe, but myself and the wifes share comes out of the same budget, and we're kind of on a "two can live as cheaply as one" kick atm, and the other prospective would be my sister in law, who, hmmm how shall I say this, never has much luck with money. It's not even like I've got a drinking budget, daily mocha budget, daily newspaper budget etc, to trade off for this either. Realistically, I think we could save about $100 a month without getting the electricity turned off.

Please don't take this as an attempt to plead for charity, I'm just codifying what I can and can't do.

So it would look to me at the moment, as if I will only make it in 2006 at the very earliest. It's possible that I could find an extra way to make a few bucks, but probably not in a reliable enough fashion to guarantee participation until maybe a month before the event in 2005, by which time, the time off work issue may be impossible to negotiate, and the last minute ticket prices will apply, and I'd probably be not very well prepared with any contribution.

Yes, I know, obstacles can be overcome, it's just that happens a damn sight easier when you have a realistic view of what the obstacles are.

Heh, Isotopia must be right though, I must have my own answer, because all of the above not-withstanding, I am still damn well thinking about it :D

Badger

Post by Badger » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:48 pm

You have a choice:

1) Go to Burning Man.
2) Regret not going for the rest of your life.
1) Go to Burning Man
2) Don't go to Burning Man and avail yourself to the possibility that wherever you end up is where you're supposed to be and it has (in equal measure) the possibility - the potential - to provide you with whatever you think you can only find on the playa.
Desert dogs drink deep.

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:51 pm

What you MIGHT want to do is find a camp that will provide you with a "turn key" solution. There were some available that provided everything, including tent, food, shower, etc. All you need to do with a camp like that is arrive at the event with your own ticket.

Another avenue some people use is to get a rental storage unit in Reno. In spring you stock it with your tent, tarps, canned or dehydrated food, CLEAN and DRY drinking water containers ... then FLY out to Las Vegas (cheap fares are almost always available to Las Vegas from anywhere in North America) and rent a car (unlimited mileage car rentals can be had cheap and easy to get with Las Vegas package deals) to drive to the event. Pick up your stuff in Reno, get your water there, stop by the burner hostel to pick up someone that needs a lift and head to the event.

Hmm, now that I think of it ... having a service to stock/store people's stuff in Reno might not be a bad little side business.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:58 pm

What you MIGHT want to do is find a camp that will provide you with a "turn key" solution. There were some available that provided everything, including tent, food, shower, etc. All you need to do with a camp like that is arrive at the event with your own ticket.
Which is a damn unfortunate thing. Finding a 'resource' to reduce or minimize the amount of self-sufficiency one needs to invest in getting to the event is one of the things I find that's eating away at the foundation of the event. The closest thing I'd suggest should that be the tack of the OP is to consider Green Tortoise.

geekster

Post by geekster » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:06 pm

In general I would agree, Iso ... but there is a difference here.

There is a big difference between someone coming a few hundred miles in a 10yo car from teh Bay Area and someone coming a few thousand miles carrying exactly the same load from Ontario Canada. Are you saying that burners from farther away are expected to expend even more time, effort, and expense to get to the event? Personally, I wouldn't like to see a turnkey solution offered to anyone west of the Rocky Mountains but would have no problem with it for people coming from far away. What about people in Europe? Do they need to rent a trans-atlantic shipping container to get to BM? I see no problem with pre-positioning, staging, renting, etc for people that are going to have to travel >1000 miles.

Bob
Burning Since: 1986
Camp Name: Royaneh

Post by Bob » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:00 am

Try the eplaya Search engine -- using the term [Reno hostel] and checking the radio button to "Display results as (x)Posts" -- 1290 hits. My understanding is you can hook up with cheap rides between Reno and the event via the hostel.

I'd caution that Burning Man is not a spiritual journey, an ashram, a psychiatrist's couch, a church, a temple, a mosque, an ancestor shrine, or a rock circle.

Burning Man is more like Akbar & Jeff's Kabbalah Hut.
Amazing desert structures & stuff: http://sites.google.com/site/potatotrap/

"Let us say I suggest you may be human." -- Reverend Mother Gaius Helen Mohiam

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:41 am

2004 was my first year too. Three of us that met up here via the eplaya all threw in together and rented an RV in Vegas for Bman. It was a somewhat risky experiment, since none of us knew each other beforehand and any one of us could have been a psycho tweaker. However, after carefully and thoroughly interviewing each other, we decided that we had a good group and that we definately wanted to throw in together. We actually got along great and things worked out well for all of us.

My expenses, in round numbers, were generally something like this:

Plane ticket: $300
RV Rental: $520 (total for entire week of Bman = $1,560)
Rental car in Vegas $50
Gas: $80 (total gas round trip = $400)
Food: $100
Beer: $130 (I spent waaaayyy too much on beer).
Recreational substances: $350 (I wanted, and got, the full-on Rock Star lifestyle)
Goggles, costumes, etc.: $150

TOTAL: $1,680

So, you can see about how much I spent for the full-on Rock Star, kickin' it in the RV with the A/C experience.

I know you can do it for much, much less too. One guy to whom we gave a ride from Vegas to Bman (Bret, a.k.a., "Hans" on the playa) flew into Vegas and brought only his 175 lb pack with tent, MREs, clothes, etc. Hell, he didn't even bring any water. He'd just go to center camp and buy ice and drink melted ice water. I'm sure Hans spent way less than $1,000 round trip.

Further, there are discount "scholarship" tickets available. I think you have to write an essay or something to the Bman organization (a.k.a., the "Bmorg") justifying why you deserve a discount on the ticket. I'm not sure what the selection criteria are, but Badger or Isotopia could probably help clue you in. Badger's a Black Rock Ranger; I also understand that he and Iso are pretty tight (wink wink, nudge nudge, if you know what I mean).

[rim shot]: http://frogstar.com/wav/displaywav.asp?fil=rimshot.wav
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

RingO'Fire

Post by RingO'Fire » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:48 am

Damn! My rimshot link didn't work, let's try that again.

"blah blah blah...I also understand that he and Iso are pretty tight (wink wink, nudge nudge, if you know what I mean)."

http://www.ilovewavs.com/Effects/Music/RimShot.wav
...but it seemed like such a good idea at the time...

RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:53 pm

Good point from Badger there (2) thanks.

Interesting idea there about staging geekster, heh, you did remind me I'd be a total dumbass to haul my water all the way from home. I think too I should be thinking of provisioning in Reno foodwise at least. Staging though seems like something that would be more on my mind, if the first year, I feel like I have to try and make it as often as possible. Then it might make sense to arrange something like that.

Dunno if I could see myself renting an RV, would only want to risk my own shit to the whims of the event if you know what I mean, I guess I get close to paranoid when it comes to other peoples stuff.

Heh, those map sites are a bit of a laugh really. They seem to reckon that I can average about 70mph, 36 hours, yeah right. They set an average for those "Cannonball" runs of like 60 Mph, and I know from any even moderately long distance I've driven, it's hard to keep an average of 50Mph up.

Been thinking of things like "Hey, if I got a schoolbus and 15 other people...." But that just seems to add further complexities upon examination.

Hah, expectations, real hard not to have any isn't it? The way I'm trying to think at the moment is in the spirit of self reliance, i.e. You only have what you bring with you. You take away what you bring with you. Therefore if I bring a whole load of unfulfilled hopes and expectations, I'll be taking away a whole load of unfulfilled hopes and expectations. Maybe if I try to bring joy, love and a sense of childlike wonder, I'll have those to take away with me, hmmm but then that's an expectation :D

Funny, I feel I want to describe what draws me, possibly so you can bust up my illusions into nice easily swallowable chunks. Probably I am describing expectations here, damn things follow you around like a shadow.

Why would I want to camp out in a high desert dry lake?
Because it's a crazy/stupid thing to do, but I know that and want to do it anyway, primarily to do it together with all the other people that also know it's a stupid thing to do but do it anyway, to share an experience of the absurd in that sense, and just to meet the crazy people.

It seems like it's almost a blank canvas of consciousness on which you can use the many different "paints" and "materials" available, and create a custom mindscape of experience. You choose to paint with black, your picture ends up mostly black, you paint with the red, it ends up red, you shape it yourself, but inspiration that you might be lucky to find can guide your hand.

It seems too, like it's a schoolyard, you can make friends for a piece of candy given, you share, play and imagine and explore, everything was possible in the schoolyard, a twig was never just a twig.

Possibly I am looking for a real or illusory submersion of self when I could become part of a community, that accepts me as my true self. The self-reliance principle acting to keep one as being seen as a threat or challenge (You've taken care of all that basic needs shit right?), and allowing one to be seen in terms of ideas and emotions that one can gift and share without it being seen as conditional to a need or a means to an end. Maybe the man both symbolises the outer self, the shield you let go and the self serving part of the ego of self that you may have been lucky to let go of for a while, you let it burn away, and everybody is as one looking to the stars as the sparks rise to meet them...

Of course that's all romantic and idealistic nonsense and it never quite happens like that I suppose. So I'll go maybe for a spark of hope that that's how it's meant to be, if I even catch a hint of that I'll probably be very happy.

I'm.... trying..... real..... hard..... to.... go ..... with.... a ..... completely.... open..... mind..... though.

Road Warrior

Tiahaar
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: Starship Palomino

Post by Tiahaar » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:07 pm

A caution: Take people with you who share the excitement of the search for the magic, or go alone. Like that guy in "Close Encounters" once you get there you won't be alone for long : )
Burning Man 2003-19-FO2020; Desert Carillon, HypnoHorse, Ulaume's Chimes, Iron Native, Black Rock Solar, Portal Collective, Center Camp Café Stage and Sound Tech, 747 Project
Starship Palomino

diane o'thirst

Post by diane o'thirst » Sat Oct 16, 2004 10:35 pm

Hey —

You can work around the logistics. If you have three people driving, consolidate everything they're going to need for the drive into one bag, and have it readily accessible in the front. Save money on fast food, bring a softside cooler and stock it at the grocery store.

The heaviest thing you'll be bringing is water, and that can't be compressed, so don't get it until you get to Reno. Get the collapsible water jugs. Have them accessible and don't put them on the roof, whatever you do! Water for three people for about 8-9 days = 240 gallons = 1600 pounds! =(

Make all your equipment as multi-purpose as possible. Eschew specialization. If one item can do two or three things, it's paid its way, otherwise leave it at home.

Unless the items they contain are fragile, don't bring boxes, bring bags. Bags are scrunchable, boxes are not. Therefore, cut 'way back on fragile items as much as possible. Also, pick flexible over rigid if it's not structural.

Start squirreling away money for gas right now. You have about 45 weeks. Stick away about $10 Canadian a week and you'll have plenty, assuming we don't jump to $3/gallon gas by next summer :roll:
[url=http://tinyurl.com/245sagf][img]http://tinyurl.com/2bbr28j/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/23753ws][img]http://tinyurl.com/2auqebj/.gif[/img][/url][url=http://tinyurl.com/m4y82q][img]http://tinyurl.com/l56rdn/.gif[/img][/url]

RoadWarrior

Post by RoadWarrior » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:07 pm

240Gal???? Wow, I was figuring 2.5 Gal pp pd = 60 Gal
I know it's hella hot there, but my wife and I have taken a 5 Gal can on weekend camping trips (Mostly because the water in our town seems to taste better than a lot) and not had to refill from the onsite standpipes.

My thinking on the water at present is that I might end up sticking empty rigid containers on the roof (Maybe in one of those pod things) for most of the trip, well secured of course, then filling them when we're in Nevada, and then relocating them inside the vehicle. At that point we'll be okay with a bit of a higher load level in the vehicle, or taking up half the rear seat space, it won't be needed for the deadhead to crash out on.

Over the last few years I've tried 3 or 4 different collapsible water containers when camping, and after one or two days, the water invariably tastes plasticy, and the containers always seem to succumb to UV damage very quickly. I'll probably use them for grey water, but they are horrible for drinking water.

Just thinking, if I had one of those rooftop cargo pods, opened flat and lined it would probably double as an evap pond.

Road Warrior

Alpha

Post by Alpha » Mon Oct 18, 2004 10:28 am

Yup, I would bring 60 gallons for 3 people to be at the festival the whole week. I'd be sure to keep space for it in the car or trailer, though. (In fact I recommend getting a 55gal drum and then throw in a case or two of water bottles).

mamagrrl

Water, water, everywhere

Post by mamagrrl » Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:57 am

If you're really trying to cut down on weight, don't bring in any water! Just buy bagged party ice at Camp Arctica. Put it in a dark metal pan to melt, then pour it into a water dispenser/water cooler. A goodly number of people were doing just that this year and I thought it was brilliant. Of course, you need it to melt before you can drink it... but in the playa heat and if you're willing to pay $2 a gallon for frozen water, you're set!

Better yet, volunteer at Camp Arctica and you can have all the water you want while you're working. Just bring a big camelback-type-thing and fill 'er up before you go.

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

ideas

Post by swampdog » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:42 pm

You should definitely check out the regionals - there may be people locally who have solved some of the issues in ways that you can share. I found Ottawa and Toronto regionals listed on the regionals page previously cited.

Also, you can run pretty tight on food, booze, etc. I was quite well stocked for food, but ended up eating cold soup out of the can most of the time, 'cause it just wasn't worth the trouble of firing up the stove and/or dirtying dishes. Also, liquor is a lot easier to carry than beer.

froggy

Re: To burn, or to smoulder and die?

Post by froggy » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:25 pm

RoadWarrior wrote:Hi folks,

This is a bit of a strange story I guess. I've been having a bit of an odd week, I can't get burning man out of my head. This may not sound unusual, but the fact is, I've never physically been there.

I guess I've been aware of the existance of some kind of thing called burning man since the mid 90s, it would get mentioned occasionally in the fringes of the counter cultures I have in passing meshed with. I wasn't aware however of it as more than a bit of an arty party or festival as far as I can recall. I guess I just didn't think about it.
Welcome to my world. I'm in the same boat as you. After years of procrastination, self-doubt and will, if at all possible I will make it next year and contribute as much as I can of myself into the event.

Hope to meet you there.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”