Radio Communication (MURS / 911 / ART SUPPORT)

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
digital
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: Middle'a-nowhere

Radio Communication (MURS / 911 / ART SUPPORT)

Post by digital » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:31 pm

[Note: I'm sure there are other threads covering this but I couldn't find them on a quick search. Feel free to merge.]
[Note2: I'm cross-posting this from Reddit. Thought others here might find it useful.]

So, you want COMS in BRC? Here ya go...

Forget the consumer crap, i.e. FRS. Either get something that works or arrange other some other form of meet-up; such as, pre-arranged non-moving landmarks or a specific intersection. Spreading ~24 channels between 70,000 people just doesn't work.

General Use Channels (MURS / Playa911 / Art Support)
Here is an example of a quality radio for the non-HAM. It is dual-band and allows transmit power to be set at 1W. Though, personally, I'd get the Yaesu VX-8DR. I use the Icom ID-51A but it requires the TX mod to transmit on FRS/GMRS and MURS bands. It's easy if you have experience with small components.
  • MURS1 (151.820) OPEN
  • MURS2 (151.880) OPEN
  • MURS3 (151.940) OPEN
  • MURS4 (154.570), PL 97.4 Art Support Services -- NEW! KEEP CLEAR!*
  • MURS5 (154.600), PL 97.4 Playa911 / ESD -- KEEP CLEAR!*
*NOTE: DO NOT TRANSMIT OVER 1W WITHOUT A LICENSE!*

Best thing to do: Get a HAM License!
Then the spectrum is (mostly) open to you! For reference, here are the Black Rock Amateur Radio Frequencies**:
  • 440.175 (+) PL 100.0 Black Rock UHF Repeater / Echolink Node 7238 / IRLP Node 7249
  • 145.230 (-) PL 123.0 Black Rock VHF Repeater
  • 146.520 Simplex Calling Freq
  • 146.700 PL 100.0 VHF Simplex IRLP Node 3075 in Gerloch
  • 147.030 (+) PL 123.0 VHF Virgina Peak Repeater near Nixon
  • 147.180 (+) PL 107.2 VHF Alternate Virgina Peak Repeater
  • 146.925 (-) PL 123.0 VHF Repeater on I-80 near Lovelock
*BRC MURS
**Black Rock Amateur Frequency List

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Re: Radio Communication (MURS / 911 / ART SUPPORT)

Post by GreyCoyote » Fri Jul 17, 2015 6:02 pm

Suggest you post it in a question format. There are several attorneys and FCC-registered Volunteer Examiners on the board, and we can likely fill-in the details of anything you missed. :mrgreen:

Communications at burningman is an important subject, and I think many would appreciate the dialogue.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:05 pm

There are several licensed amateur radio operators here that can help you with the legalities. I saw the original post and it looked ok to me but I only skimmed it.

GMRS requires a license but FRS does not.
MURS is ok to use under 2 watts. It's a good idea for mid to large camps to have a MURS radio to summon help in case of emergency.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

digital

Post by digital » Fri Jul 17, 2015 7:50 pm

Here is the OP. I removed the business bands because they require a license for non-HAMs. Also, it was my mistake linking non-compatible MURS radios. They work for me but are not approved.

[Note: I'm sure there are other threads covering this but I couldn't find them on a quick search. Feel free to merge.]
[Note2: I'm cross-posting this from Reddit. Thought others here might find it useful.]

So, you want COMS in BRC? Here ya go...

Forget the consumer crap, i.e. FRS. Either get something that works or arrange other some other form of meet-up; such as, pre-arranged non-moving landmarks or a specific intersection. Spreading ~24 channels between 70,000 people just doesn't work.

General Use Channels (MURS / Playa911 / Art Support)
Here is an example of a quality radio for the non-HAM. It is dual-band and allows transmit power to be set at 1W. Though, personally, I'd get the Yaesu VX-8DR. I use the Icom ID-51A but it requires the TX mod to transmit on FRS/GMRS and MURS bands. It's easy if you have experience with small components.
  • MURS1 (151.820) OPEN
  • MURS2 (151.880) OPEN
  • MURS3 (151.940) OPEN
  • MURS4 (154.570), PL 97.4 Art Support Services -- NEW! KEEP CLEAR!*
  • MURS5 (154.600), PL 97.4 Playa911 / ESD -- KEEP CLEAR!*
*NOTE: DO NOT TRANSMIT OVER 1W WITHOUT A LICENSE!*

Best thing to do: Get a HAM License!
Then the spectrum is (mostly) open to you! For reference, here are the Black Rock Amateur Radio Frequencies**:
  • 440.175 (+) PL 100.0 Black Rock UHF Repeater / Echolink Node 7238 / IRLP Node 7249
  • 145.230 (-) PL 123.0 Black Rock VHF Repeater
  • 146.520 Simplex Calling Freq
  • 146.700 PL 100.0 VHF Simplex IRLP Node 3075 in Gerloch
  • 147.030 (+) PL 123.0 VHF Virgina Peak Repeater near Nixon
  • 147.180 (+) PL 107.2 VHF Alternate Virgina Peak Repeater
  • 146.925 (-) PL 123.0 VHF Repeater on I-80 near Lovelock
*BRC MURS
**Black Rock Amateur Frequency List

mooserider
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Philly Phreak Show

Post by mooserider » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:21 pm

Technically, it is illegal to use Amateur Radio Service radios for MURS. You should only use type-approved MURS radios (and the same applies for GMRS/FRS). In an emergency, all bets are off; the regulations specifically state that you can use any possible means to communicate in emergencies regarding immediate threat to life or property, but you'd better be able to justify it as a real emergency if the FCC comes knocking on your door. And the ham rigs probably cost more than the MURS or GMRS radios anyway (smaller market share to spread out the costs).

digital

Post by digital » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:25 pm

Personally, I have those programmed for emergencies only. It's good that I posted though because I was unaware of this technicality. Thanks, guys.

Captain Goddammit
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:15 pm

Ya know, CB works pretty well in BRC too.
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:25 am

A quick point: the BMORG has *requested* that BRC citizens keep MURS 4 and 5 clear for BMORG functions. This reasonable *request* has been taken as an order by some, and its being relayed elsewhere as law by some folks. Nothing could be further from the truth.

MURS by definition and statute can not be licensed or sequestered for any particular use or to the exclusion of any other user. (Exception: there are a few legacy users out there from when the MURS space was part of the licensed spectrum. The BMORG is not one of these, and these users are rarer than hens teeth). Additionally, BMORG is utterly powerless to enforce any "violations" of "their" MURS channels... or any other frequency for that matter. The FCC maintains exclusive authority for enforcement, and not even the BLM has a right to tell you to get off a MURS frequency.

That being said, the integration of MURS 5 into the BMORG incident response system in an effort to allow burners to reach help fast is a smart idea. Such a use complies with both the letter and the intent of the regs. We as a community should cooperate fully with these efforts and restrict ourselves voluntarily to other freqs for routine comms. But the reality is this: if some dickwad wants to talk to Uncle Fred on MURS 5, there is absolutely nothing stopping him. As long as he is using the channel appropriately, and yields the frequency immediately for emergency traffic, there is no violation. The BMORG is just another unlicensed MURS user in the eyes of the FCC.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:12 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Ya know, CB works pretty well in BRC too.
I'm kind of surprised that ESD doesn't monitor CB channel 9 for emergencies, too, since it is reserved for emergency communications and lots of people have the 27MHz Citizens Band equipment. And that still leaves 39 more channels for random users, too.

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:57 am

Or about a hundred more if you short out the right pins on your 02A :)

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:08 am

Captain Goddammit wrote:Or about a hundred more if you short out the right pins on your 02A :)
Do they even make radios with the 02a in them anymore? Those things were ridiculously easy to modify. They could go all the way up to 28.045.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

Captain Goddammit

Post by Captain Goddammit » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:02 pm

I dunno... a lot of the modern CB radios you see in the display cases at truck stops look pretty much exactly like the ones 30 years ago, so maybe.
I still have mine, what I and many others considered one of the best ever, an early-80s GE "Supermobile" ssb with an O2A, and yep, you hit what was originally the ANL/NB switch from channel 40 and there you are on 28.045!
Much quieter up there.
I don't know where we are on the skip cycle, I'd have to look it up. If it's low then CB is a great way to go on the playa. Cheap, readily available, simple, and no license.

Wow... it never occurred to me before (I've been out of radio so long) but I bet you could DX like crazy from the playa. High elevation and flat for miles... although it is surrounded by mountains. If you were skipping they might be far enough away not to matter.

japerry

Post by japerry » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:17 pm

I plan on bringing my D710a with APRS, set on 144.39 at base camp. Also have a Baofeng and Yaesu walkies that my partner and I will be walking around with! Was thinking about bringing a CB but they seem to have crappy coverage.

K7JDP & K1UTZ

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sat Aug 15, 2015 5:41 pm

Ja and Em: I'm bringing a TM710G and a TM-281 with a pair of Baofeng UV5R+ as backup. I generally monitor the NatCall freq and MURS5. I'll holler at you! :mrgreen:

Great to have another pair of hams on the playa!
(A Beautiful Mind)

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Sun Aug 16, 2015 11:50 am

Anybody know where I can get a bandolier (like the old politically-incorrect Mexican banditos wore)? I'm going to have so many radios, my pants will fall down if I put them on my belt. Ham, CB, MURS, GMRS, aviation scanner (if they accept me for volunteering at the airport).... Perhaps I'd better get a T-shirt that reads "RF exposure hazard".

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Sun Aug 16, 2015 12:49 pm

I think you need a shirt that says "Undercover Cop". :mrgreen:
(A Beautiful Mind)

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:46 pm

mooserider

Post by mooserider » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:30 pm

Thank you. Just picked it up today at the local public safety supply store.

japerry

Post by japerry » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:59 pm

APRS shack all setup! Was able to get a good signal to a local repeater about 10 miles away. With any luck I should be able to have coverage over the playa. Look for K7JDP if you have APRS :)

mrchiff
Burning Since: 1999

Post by mrchiff » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:00 pm

Captain Goddammit wrote:I don't know where we are on the skip cycle, I'd have to look it up. If it's low then CB is a great way to go on the playa. Cheap, readily available, simple, and no license.

Wow... it never occurred to me before (I've been out of radio so long) but I bet you could DX like crazy from the playa. High elevation and flat for miles... although it is surrounded by mountains. If you were skipping they might be far enough away not to matter.
The cycle is at a lower point, trending lower. You can still find a few DX openings here and there but getting fewer and fewer.
The playa is a great DX spot.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”