I REALLY really want to go 2 burning man, but....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
madbovinity

I REALLY really want to go 2 burning man, but....

Post by madbovinity » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:35 am

I'm looking for suggestions on working out my little issue as far as getting to Burning Man is concerned...
So far, this is how things are planned:::-------------
- volunteer (obviously.... i dont want to have to suffer the cost)
- <hopefully;)> hitch a ride w/ someone from ONTARIO?QUEBEC (i live in ottawa).
- now, the little tidbit that fucks up my life, to be dramatic:

as im still in high skool, i obviously need to attend classes (or at least, LEARN the material....
so: does anyone hav suggestions for solving this problem? I'm guessing that, including transportation, i'll be missing about 2 wks of school. I am considering maybe doing school online, but this complicates things (so, is it worth it???)
i guess i might be able to just get the material for those first lessons and take it w/ me.

Having finished my useless little blurb, IS anyone leaving from the relatively-close-to-ottawa area?

thanx all
u fucking rock.

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I am going through a difficult transition called "LIFE".

--PYROS UNYTE--

Alpha

Re: I REALLY really want to go 2 burning man, but....

Post by Alpha » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:43 am

madbovinity wrote:u fucking rock.
Gosh, thanks!
missing the point, madbovinity wrote:- volunteer (obviously.... i dont want to have to suffer the cost)
I'm guessing you're going to have to re-think this one. The vast majority of volunteers are not compensated in any way for their efforts (other than kick-ass karma and occasional sugar from other Burners). Furthermore, if the ticket price is a barrier for you then you probably do not have the resources to enjoy Burning Man at its fullest (or even, much at all). Most people here will tell you to plan on spending anywhere from $500 - $1500 PLUS transportation. It ain't cheap, but it IS worth it.

SilkenTofu
Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Post by SilkenTofu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:56 am

Another thing to consider is will you be 18 when you attend? Or would you be able to find someone to take responsibility for your actions while out there?

Otherwise start looking at the reqional boards and talking to folks from Canada who can help your cause. Start saving money now.
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....

MusicVixen

Post by MusicVixen » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:56 am

Also, if you are underage, you will need a guardian/sponsor.
[color=indigo]MusicVixen[/color]

SilkenTofu
Location: in a cold case in the healthfood eisle at your local grocery store

Post by SilkenTofu » Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:58 am

MusicVixen wrote:Also, if you are underage, you will need a guardian/sponsor.
I beat you by seconds...how about that Elk Grove traffic MV?
I am a bit tied up at the moment...but if you leave your name and number.....

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Nov 08, 2004 12:36 pm

- volunteer (obviously.... i dont want to have to suffer the cost)
Not a good idea to assume that giving of your time will get you in free or at a reduced price. Though I certainly *don't* speak for anyone I'll add that if you're only motivated to give your time (it *ain't* volunteering) for the purpose of getting into the event that there are a more than a few folks that'd give you the 'thanks, but no thanks' spiel.

My suggestion to you is to just start saving you $ for a ticket.
Desert dogs drink deep.

MusicVixen

Post by MusicVixen » Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:30 pm

SilkenTofu wrote: I beat you by seconds...how about that Elk Grove traffic MV?
It totally bites!!!! You must be close to know how bad it has become.
[color=indigo]MusicVixen[/color]

madbovinity

So can you get in free via volunteering or not???

Post by madbovinity » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:16 pm

I heard you can get in free just by volunteering....
so what's the real deal?
I am going through a difficult transition called "LIFE".

--PYROS UNYTE--

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:24 pm

I heard you can get in free just by volunteering....
so what's the real deal?
What you hear ain't always how it is. Scour the BM web site. Pay particular attention to the extensive pages on volunteering. Reading it you might get the subtle difference between volunteering and working to get into the event. There are few opportunities for the latter and showing up just prior to the event will probably get you nowhere.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:50 pm

If I may add, you're still in high school, not of legal age, at least in the U.S., have your whole life in front of you...why not wait until 2006 (or 2007) to come? You probably won't be "taken in" as a volunteer--hell, if it were that easy, everyone would become a "volunteer"--and then what? You still have to subsist in a desert environment with shelter, water, food, etc. which you are clearly unprepared to do. As much as I respect your plunk, might I humbly suggest you wait until you are, uh, an adult? Just my 2 cents worth, YMMD.

Apollonaris Zeus

Post by Apollonaris Zeus » Tue Nov 09, 2004 9:31 pm

madbovinity wrote: im still in high skool,
Its obvious that you're a froggy!

skool! Huh!

I hate it when you frenchies fuck up our lovely english language!

Hey if you can't speak it correctly then don't even try! Pleeeeease!

A II Z

PS- hehehehe I've alway wanted to say that! So I'm only kidding! haha

Zem

Post by Zem » Fri Nov 26, 2004 10:52 am

Hola madbovinity
my names Zem and i live about an hour and a half from Toronto and i now exactly how u feel. iam planning on going in 2005 and if u r 18 by then maybe we could figure out a battle plan to get down there together.
i was thinking about getting to the Reno airport and then try to hitch a ride to BM with a sign that says "black rock city or bust". ok the bell just went i goota jet.
adios
Zem
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu

DROWNINGTHEMIND

Re: So can you get in free via volunteering or not???

Post by DROWNINGTHEMIND » Fri Nov 26, 2004 12:51 pm

[quote="madbovinity"]I heard you can get in free just by volunteering....
so what's the real deal?[/quote]

Do yourself a favor and dont come back here or go to burning man until you atleast know what the hell it is about.

Rabbi Dali Rick

Re: So can you get in free via volunteering or not???

Post by Rabbi Dali Rick » Sun Nov 28, 2004 8:16 am

DROWNINGTHEMIND wrote:Do yourself a favor and dont come back here or go to burning man until you atleast know what the hell it is about.
Pay no attention to DROWNINGTHEMIND, he is ill informed to give advice and if anything he should heed his own advice. He should not post until he knows what the hell he's talking about.

You are doing the right thing and you came to the right place, and you are talking to the right people and yes we want you to come to Burningman. In fact we can't wait to meet you and welcome you into the burning family. Welcome home madbovinity.

DROWNINGTHEMIND, Sidddown and Shaddup......

you're bestest pal,
the rebbi

Zem

Post by Zem » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:15 pm

while were on the topic of getting to BM, does anybody know any cheap and simple ways to get from central ontario to Black rock city for a girl who has no license, no car and no funds?
Zem

Tancorix

Post by Tancorix » Sun Nov 28, 2004 1:34 pm

while were on the topic of getting to BM, does anybody know any cheap and simple ways to get from central ontario to Black rock city for a girl who has no license, no car and no funds?
Not to be mean spirited but you have 9 months to remedy the above. And if BRC is out of reach check out your closest regional group and make contacts there. Who knows you could make a connection with someone who will gladly let you ride along or help drive/ pack/setup camp etc. And if not a regional burn lets you get your feet wet and gives you another year to change things.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:49 am

Just convince your Parents (or Gaurdian) that it is worth going to. That way they can excuse you from school, pay your way, and drive you there and back!

Voila!

Issue resolved.

Zem

Post by Zem » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:15 am

it would be so great if my world worked like that. and i know i have nine months to figure it out i just figured i'd get a head start. i dont think your mean spirited by the way.

dragonfly Jafe

Post by dragonfly Jafe » Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:31 pm

You face a difficult (but not impossible) struggle. Getting your Parents (or Gaurdian) to take you is really your best option until you are 18. But, if you want to try anyways, here is what you have to accomplish (others chime in if I have forgotten something);

1. (most important) Find an adult who will assume responsibility for you and your actions while you attend Burningman. You must be at least 18 years old to attend Burningman, or have a Parent or Gaurdian. This is a "legal" thing. Do not assume you can sneak in or find someone at the gate to do this for you.

2. Obtain a ticket. Do not assume you can volunteer for one. You can TRY to obtain a reduced price ticket if you can convince Burningman that your situation warrents a reduced price ticket (start now, good luck). Note that tickets first go on sale in February, and the prices start rising soon after. I recommend that you get your ticket as soon as possible. Plan on at least $150 (in February) or $250 (in August).

3. Research everything about Burningman. You really should do this before anything else. Read the survival guide. Read the website (all of it). Search Eplaya for other "newbie" posts or "underage/minor" posts. Find other minors who have attended (Eplaya may be of use) and ask them lots of questions.

4. Figure out what it will take to survive for your stay in Black Rock City. It will take $500 to $1500 to purchase shelter, food, water, and other essentials just to SURVIVE. Costumes, art, gifts, etc are all extras (but highly recommended)

5. Find the Burningman group where you live (search Regional Contacts) and ask for their advice. Volunteer with THEM over the next year (help with fundraisers, attend parties, etc) and see if you can join their group (still have to take care of #1 above though...) Lots of work to be done.

6. Figure out how to get there / get back (with all the stuff you have from #4 above) - if you have been good to your Regional group and have taken care of #1, this should not be an issue.

A lot to manage for someone who is still in school, but is has been done before.

Enjoy!

Zem

Post by Zem » Mon Nov 29, 2004 2:42 pm

first of all id like to thank Dragonfly for trying to help me in my plight and secondly id like to say sorry to Madbovinity for taking away the focus in his topic. I actually am 18 (in fact i was born the september of 86, a month after the first BMan) and everything u have reccomended i do i have been doing, in fact i have been talking about Burningman so much lately that i have been driving my friends insane.
thanks everyone :wink:

froggy

Post by froggy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:17 am

Apollonaris Zeus wrote: Its obvious that you're a froggy!
Bah! don't demean my namesake! :)

froggy

Post by froggy » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:18 am

Zem wrote:while were on the topic of getting to BM, does anybody know any cheap and simple ways to get from central ontario to Black rock city for a girl who has no license, no car and no funds?
Zem
Maybe make some good friends?

blyslv

Post by blyslv » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:27 am

Zem wrote:while were on the topic of getting to BM, does anybody know any cheap and simple ways to get from central ontario to Black rock city for a girl who has no license, no car and no funds?
Zem

...must resist urge ... must resist urge...
Fight for the fifth freedom!

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:20 pm

.........to........say...

...it.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Badger

Post by Badger » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:22 pm

.....tongue..........is...

.....b-b-b-b-bleeding......
Desert dogs drink deep.

Isotopia

Post by Isotopia » Wed Dec 01, 2004 12:39 pm

...m-m-m-m-must.........

log.... offffffff..........f

Rian Jackson

Post by Rian Jackson » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:06 pm

uck...
surlier than thou

wrong trousers

Post by wrong trousers » Sat Dec 04, 2004 5:47 pm

<I>"as im still in high skool, i obviously need to attend classes (or at least, LEARN the material.... "</I>

School is so overrated. You will learn SO SO SO much more at Burning Man than you will ever learn during two weeks at school. Don't EVEN stress about that part of your question.

(I am a BIT biased. I dropped out of school, & I homeschool my kids & am bringing my 13 yr old with me. :) )

Good luck!

Zem

Post by Zem » Mon Dec 06, 2004 10:28 am

I meant something legal you Pervs
(and i say pervs in the nicest possible because, hey i have dirty mind to)
:wink:

Badger

Post by Badger » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:24 am

I meant something legal you Pervs
Well, it be legal in Nevada.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”