I REALLY really want to go 2 burning man, but....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
miss t

Post by miss t » Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:02 am

ok
i never write anything but feel i must!
please please please..... read the burning man web site inside and out
if you had you would realise it ain't no joke!
i respect the asking of questions, but help yourself at the same time as others are helping you.
my one cautions is.... take responsibility for yourself.
get down to business. it is only december. you have over 8 months to make the money you need to do this trip well (and that includes a summer holiday from school). hoping for a free ride with no idea about how you plan to participate will not get you far in black rock city.
there is much to be learned in a week on the playa and yes gifting and sharing are huge. this does not excuse you from being prepared. the way i see it is that this requires a little cash in advance. you will be supported and looked after in many ways once you get there but being looked after does not always mean clothed, sheltered and fed.
if you are serious about this mission, put the work in to make it happen for yourself. our life doesn't just happen, we make it happen.

one more thing, if you plan ahead enough to fly in and out of reno... you won't miss more than a couple days of school in the first week. but i am warning you it will be a tough return to academics so quickly after a first big event!

follow your heart, maybe i'll see you on the playa!
if your glass is full drink up!

Zem

Post by Zem » Tue Dec 07, 2004 6:25 am

miss t
im not going to lie and say that what u wrote didnt aggravate me slightly but i understand what u r saying.i know burningman is not a joke and i have read everything on the website that my schools censorship blocking program will let me into. im not looking for a free ride and am completly prepared to take care of myself im just seeing if any veterans can pass on any words of wisdom. i know what i need to be prepared on the playa its just the getting there thats a little blurred. and iam also thinking about what i can do to participate, i was thinking of offering henna or simple body painting.
ok im ranting
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

I know

Post by swampdog » Tue Dec 07, 2004 11:50 am

Zem, I know you're serious, but I have to say I have concerns too. In another thread you posted "can I borrow a bike from someone for Critical Tits" where if you'd done your homework you'd know that a bike is damned near indispensable for BM generally. Not being critical, and you've got 8 months to get your act together, but your naivete does raise concerns. It's hard enough for folks with jobs and other resources to pull together a BM trip from Ontario. Be careful, be thorough, start now - there's no reason you can't get it together if you want it bad enough, and it sounds like you do.

As far as advice, etc, there is an abundance on the BM web site and on ePlaya etc etc. Use the search function to investigate specific questions. Finally, look up information on Ontario regional for people you may be able to work with for travel arrangements, camp arrangements, etc.

Good luck, I truly hope you pull it together.

Zem

Post by Zem » Tue Dec 07, 2004 3:04 pm

forget i said anything
forget i ever wanted to go to burningman
im sorry for wasting your time and
im sorry for ruining your thread madbovinity
"a good traveller has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving" -Lao Tzu

swampdog
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Rising Arms Pub

what part of

Post by swampdog » Tue Dec 07, 2004 5:30 pm

Zem, what part of "there's no reason you can't get it together if you want it bad enough, and it sounds like you do. " offended you? If a gentle expression of concern is enough to make you pout like that and decide not to go, then probably best you stay home for a few more years. Good luck, whatever you decide.

Badger

Post by Badger » Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:03 pm

forget i said anything
forget i ever wanted to go to burningman
im sorry for wasting your time and
im sorry for ruining your thread madbovinity
Hmmm.... never mind.
Desert dogs drink deep.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”