2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Patsh

Re: 2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Post by Patsh » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:32 pm

Ratty wrote:zig-zag, Those are beautiful. I've never seen so many identical candy canes. Hey. What is going to happen to all the candy caned rebar now that people are switching over to lags. I need more candy canes. Anybody coming to the Hof bring your extras please. I don't want to buy retail and bend em myself. (I only need about half a dozen.) OK...... I'll buy them. You drive a hard bargain.

Patsh get out there and get a tent. Aren't you coming to the Hof? You can sleep in my little 2 man tent with me. On my clothes.
Yes, I'll be there! I did just order another tent, which should be here later this week. The Hof will be its test. Hoping it'll be substantial enough for the Playa. (Thanks for the kind offer!)

I can bring you a bunch of rebar candy canes... Free, of course! How's THAT for driving a hard bargain!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:57 pm

Really Patsh?! You're the best. I'm bring a bunch of gifties and a birthday present for you.

You know I always get stuck on the 'food thing'. I'm leaning towards bacon, eggs and toast. That was a huge treat last year Sunday morning. Who cooked me that great meal? Quit stressing Ruth. Beer and deviled eggs for Friday. Salty buttered popcorn and chocolate bars on Saturday. Tequilla and garlic bread on Saturday night. Bacon and eggs on Sunday. Pretzels for the ride home. Ok. I'll print this out and my husband will shop.

I'm not a picky eater.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

Leap
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Wed Jun 15, 2016 6:09 am

I was surprised when two boxes showed up last night. I wasn't expecting anything until next week. I squealed when I opened them to find my Aluminet and dura-cool pads! FINALLY, I can set up and test my full camp and swamp cooler.

The Aluminet is so cool. I wrapped it around me and for a brief second, I imagined myself as some sort of Inuit astronaut.

My wife just smiled and rolled her eyes a little when I told her I am going to leave work after my 3:00 meeting. She understands.

FoolsGold
Burning Since: 2015

Post by FoolsGold » Wed Jun 15, 2016 4:01 pm

Pretty exciting, Leap. Hope the test run goes as expected! 8)

I've ordered a new tent, which will arrive by the end of the month. Can't wait to try it. I learned the hard way last year that it helps just a bit to know how to set up your tent in advance...

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Fri Jun 17, 2016 7:05 pm

New tent got set up with ease (by myself) yesterday morning, though they recommend 2 people to set it up. Looks like it'll work.

It's 10' x 10', and 6' tall in the center. There's a little cubby space to one side, with a rather large trapezoidal screen, which will have to be covered before the burn. The 2 screened windows in the big part are closeable.

The Hof weekend will be its test, without covering the mesh screen. I'll bring 2 sleeping bags & 2 little blankets, standard for all my camping trips. I hope it's sturdy enough for the Playa!
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:06 pm

New (bigger) fuel injectors for the new diesel truck engine... gotta lotta mountains to drag that heavy Land Yacht over!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Hoverdave
Camp Name: Looking

Post by Hoverdave » Sat Jun 18, 2016 1:12 pm

500 gifting decals arrived today.
Check one more thing off the list.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Leap

Post by Leap » Sat Jun 18, 2016 2:47 pm

I put my swamp cooler together today and realized I need more water and maybe more air. The 63 GPH water pump isn't "soaking" my dura-cool pads so a 132 GPH pump is on it's way.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:18 pm

60 to 80 GPH should be enough, but this is where the uniformity and size of the holes is important for even distribution of the water.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Leap

Post by Leap » Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:22 am

Yea, I experimented with the holes and spacing. It took me 4 tries to get it consistent but I could use more volume. The pads were dampish but not wet like I see in pics or on youtube. I'll keep this little $7 pump as a back up.

I'm also thinking my fan isn't strong enough.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:58 am

The fan is the key component to a good cooler. 8)

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Leap

Post by Leap » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:49 am

I just found a 39 watt portable solar panel for 82% off so I'll have plenty of juice to trickle charge my battery. I am less worried about components that have more horse power now. Got any recommendations for a fan? I have a 150 CFM cpu fan now I am not impressed with.

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Sun Jun 19, 2016 12:49 pm

This is the fan I recommend for the bucket, and the one I use.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/8556/ ... 6c435s1108

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sun Jun 19, 2016 4:35 pm

I cleaned out the basement so I could clean out the car so I could fill it for the the Hof. Doh...

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:41 pm

Been away for awhile knocking things off the list. Besides gathering BM items (other than food I think I have most of it) I have been giving the Rollin' Man Cave some love. Installed a new ladder. Installed a new shore power plug up front so I can be plugged in rollin' down the road. (genny sits in the truck bed). Finished the roof racks for the EMT structure. Have a few more things to do on the inside.

I also bought a 'new to me' pickemup truck. '03 2500HD Duramax. Doing some mods to it, tow mirrors, head ache rack, spare tire rack, old mans tailgate ladder. LOL. Confirm pinout on the trailer plug, set the hitch height and done. Full fluid change pending.

Managed to pick one of the hottest days of the year to do some welding on the headache rack. I figure its BM training at 118'F. :shock:

Need to do one more test build of the EMT structure but I have all the 'rigging' I should ever need, for any configuration I will ever build. Ha! :roll: Plus all the safety covers, extra rope, ratchet straps, lags, a couple of sticks of EMT, etc.

Made final changes to the grey water removal system. Works pretty good. Might still make 'one more' header for better water distribution. Automagic operation, burns about 1-1.5 gals/hr. Should be good to go! 8)

I finally quit adding things to my list. Well, at least slowed way down. More check marks are appearing...... :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Thu Jun 23, 2016 7:05 am

Did a WalMart run and got a pile of little things so they didn't become last minute (extra bandaids, sunscreen, garbage bags, etc)

Got a new pair of cheap glasses so I don't wreck my good ones with playa dust. Also got a fun pair of heart shaped sunglasses.

Got all the parts for an EMT shade structure I will set up over my rental van so it doesn't become an easy bake oven. I plan to put the van at one end of the Monkey Hut so I can use it for storage. Will do the rigging and a test setup this weekend after the Pride festival.

Got another hundred whistles cut out and in production.

Going to scavenge thrift shops this afternoon with seasoned burner friend.

Am sweating bullets because I have not received my ticket in the mail yet. What if something went wrong? What if it got stolen? What if it never comes? How long do I wait before I call 911? Should I sit by the mailbox and strangle the mail person until she coughs it up?

Is it August yet?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:10 am

Zig-zag you look cunning. Damn it. The Hof get together is on pride week again this year. Ha, My husband said our Mondavi theatre tickets are coming. I thought it was my burn ticket.

Arthur Schopenhauer

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:07 pm

ZigZag wrote: I painted all my rebar candycanes.
Ratty wrote:zig-zag, Those are beautiful. I've never seen so many identical candy canes.
Beautiful?
Yes.

Moop in tiny tiny flakes of paint coming off as one pounds rebar?
Yes.

The paint chip moop ranks right up there with glitter, sawdust, watermellon seeds, mirror glass, (I've helped FOUR TIMES to bag up playa filled with the stuff) for difficulty in gathering.

It is ESPECIALLY bothersome with rebar paint chips as one has to moop it up during pounding time,,,,a time when one needs all their concetration in setting up camp. Saying "I'll do it later" is a lie, and can't be done anyway as by then, the chips are mixed in with the playa.

I know (I am Doctoriknow after all !) because I've suffered from this. And, yes, I used primer paint.

For the first year, the paint chipping off will be minimal, and probably only on the head.

There are too many rebars of ZigZag's to manually remove the paint on the "impact zone" so I would suggest a drill with wire brush (especially if one puts the drill in a vise) , an angle grinder with a sandpaper disk, or, better, a bench grinder with a wire wheel. One could use Paint remover and a powerwasher which may work if one wants to put toxins in the soil or drainpipe leading to a river.

BTW, I've used the same rebar for 10 years out there and just power wash it after BM. I don't oil it, spray it with WD, or do anything but keep it dry. It is rusted, but not flakey and leave no moop.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:33 pm

Zig-zag they are beautiful. I care about the clean playa as much as the next guy. You're little paint flakes don't bother me. (They may hold up fine this year.) Think about a solution for next year if the paint fails.

Read the playa restoration pieces in the archives of the Main site. They said that microscopic particles such as glitter are the LEAST of their worries. Tiny oil leaks that fan out 3 or 4 feet wide underground, massive dumping of chemical and bacteria laden liquids, mountains of debris and hundreds of things to be pried out of the ground.

Sure, you don't want to litter. None of us do. A certain percentage of the evaporative ponds are just glorified sieves. It's a fact of life that cheap tarps shred, tanks overflow and things spill. If you can get through the entire week without a serious bio-hazard accident, you are doing your part. I vote for don't sweat the small stuff. Fix it next year. But that's just me.

Arthur Schopenhauer

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:00 pm

Ratty wrote:Zig-zag they are beautiful. You're little paint flakes don't bother me.
I vote for don't sweat the small stuff. But that's just me.
I doubt it’s a good thing for birgins (especially birgins) to read that it’s ok to have individual preference’s in determining what is acceptable moop to leave on the playa.

I am very surprised a member of the playa restoration crew to have said online that glitter is not their problem. (for those who don’t know, the permission from the BLM for BM to return the next year is based on the weight of moop found in square footage areas thoughout the BM footprint. Therefore, glitter’s weight is insignificant from the BLM’s methods of moop qualities.)

The playa restoration crew and BLM’s bottom line doesn’t mean small moop shouldn’t be an individual burners concern.

I’ve always thought one of the best “take aways” from being a burner is that back in the default world, one may find themselves hyper-aware of every piece of moop we leave behind be it in our house, our yard, or in a trash strewn public park where we will at least no longer leave our shit behind and may even pick up bags of moop we didn’t make….just as we see selfless and aware burners doing so the entire week.

Instead of possibly encouraging individuals reading this thread think it’s ok to have the same viewpoint (as a forum moderator ! ) that one can determine for themselves what is their own moop, wouldn’t it be better to increase awareness that we need to constantly be on alert to not leave any moop behind?

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:04 pm

There is NO lea way in LNT!!! :roll:

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Thu Jun 23, 2016 8:43 pm

One of the reasons I like E-Playa so much (aside from some of the really good snark that goes on from time to time), is the breadth of viewpoints and the depth of the wisdom.

My incoming viewpoint on rust is that it can be "moopy" because I live in a constantly damp climate and rust is an ongoing battle. Rust on anything uncoated is nearly immediate and it starts creating problems with flaking and decomposition very soon after. That's moop isn't it? A can of Rust-Oleum is always at the ready in my barn.

The wisdom of the folks here has given me a perspective I hadn't considered and I am truly grateful for it because If I had gotten out on the Playa and pounded away at my rebar only to see a pool of red paint chips around each one from the impact, I would have been horrified to think I had just mooped due to my "bright idea" of protecting them from rust and making them more visible

Even if in the grand scheme of things its insignificant, I'm much more interested in doing it right than being right.

I had a similar experience just tonight. I had gone to a thrift store with a burner friend and was looking at some carpets to take along. She folded several of them back and showed me how the backing of some of them was already old and dry and they will really dry out in the playa dust, get brittle and flake apart. And that moop won't be bright red, its dang near the same color of playa dust.

Yet another good solid LNT lesson.

There is still time to make adjustments and I know I will still make mistakes. Thanks for the input and for being patient with me.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Captain Goddammit
Burning Since: 2000
Camp Name: First Camp

Post by Captain Goddammit » Thu Jun 23, 2016 9:23 pm

New transmission to go with new motor in truck - CHECK!!
Billet everything, built to take anything I can throw at it. If I break this year I'm gonna be PISSED!!
GreyCoyote: "At this rate it wont be long before he is Admiral Fukkit."

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:58 pm

Capt. You are one of the MOST prepared at the event. I'll propose a toast at the Hof to your seamless transport.

Many years ago...We lost at the Winter Nationals because the clutch pedal stripped out. If he could have manhandled it off of the shaft I'm sure he would have beaten the car to a pulp.

Arthur Schopenhauer

fernley1
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Camp not for Prophets.

Post by fernley1 » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:17 pm

Finished camp art today.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Fri Jun 24, 2016 8:51 pm

99 cent 3-led headlamps at wally world, you heard that right, only $.99. Good enough for a trip to the blue rooms, or to give away like candy.

Darkwad, what's your excuse?
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 2019 location TBA

Post by Molotov » Fri Jun 24, 2016 9:22 pm

Wally has 99 cent LED flashlights that use AAA batteries, but for 99 cents I think it would be cheaper (but not very green) to trash them when they die. I buy 4 or 5 at a time because I usually lose them before the batteries die.

Those headlamps, I have no clue what kind of batteries they use, but probably a coin type. Again, trash when dead.

knobdyspcl
Burning Since: 2017
Camp Name: Existential Crisis

Post by knobdyspcl » Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:07 pm

Leap wrote:I just found a 39 watt portable solar panel for 82% off so I'll have plenty of juice to trickle charge my battery. I am less worried about components that have more horse power now. Got any recommendations for a fan? I have a 150 CFM cpu fan now I am not impressed with.
so give Leap, where did you find that great deal?????????????? I'm putting together my solar set up on paper. Looking for a panel around 25-50 watts, Mono not Polycrystalline since I plan to use it camping from now on. looking to keep it under $100 including wires, charge controller etc. Already have a deep cycle battery that's been on a trickle charger.

Mirflower
Mir
the next man burns in 399 days
An existential crisis is a moment at which an individual questions the very foundations of their life: whether this life has any meaning, purpose, or value.

Leap

Post by Leap » Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:58 am

knobdyspcl wrote: so give Leap, where did you find that great deal?????????????? I'm putting together my solar set up on paper. Looking for a panel around 25-50 watts, Mono not Polycrystalline since I plan to use it camping from now on. looking to keep it under $100 including wires, charge controller etc. Already have a deep cycle battery that's been on a trickle charger.

Mirflower
Look for SUNKINGDOM products on Amazon. They all seem to be on sale right now. My 39 w panel is no longer listed but there are many options that still have a tremendous discount! It looks like the specialize in portable units, not traditional panels. You can get those panels for much cheaper. I'm flying in from the East Coast so I need something that folds up.

On a related note, after charging my small 12v 12 AH battery with my panel for a day, it's now just as strong as my car battery in regards to my 150 CFM CPU fan and water pump performance (for FIGJAM cooler). Before discovering I had a barley charged batter, I ordered a 200 CFM fan becuase I thought I needed more air. The 150 works great now but I am LOVING the 200! Going to use it and bring the 150 as a back up.

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:16 am

A barley charged batter? Ohhhh,.....pancake or waffle? ;)
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”