2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: 2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:01 pm

Finally started loading the car. Feels good.
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:35 am

Larry began loading the trailer. I started putting art in bins. This is the stage where it never looks as if I have enough.

Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

Post by Meat Hunter » Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:31 am

My driver departed Mississippi Sunday with my truck & trailer heading west so that I could fly out this year.

For this ol' geriatric, the 4.5 day drive out was doable (anticipation, adrenaline, et.al. I suppose). But, the drive back hurt me body bad,

He wanted to leave early so that he could visit some geology sites in AZ & NM and spend some time with a friend in Utah. Which was okay with me as long as he is at the Reno airport at 6:10 pm, Friday, August 19.

Since both of us are on the same pre-builld team, unless he gets eaten-up by an 18-wheeler, it will workout just fine for the both of us.
Specializing in Calibrating Windsocks -- Any where, Any Time, and Any elevation.

Vidi ego exars.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 8:29 am

trilobyte wrote:That's pretty admirable, Skuzzy, congrats!<snip>
Thanks! It is more a manner of practicality for us. In packing the food bins we discovered we had more room, so we filled them. :) It also answered the question, "What can we gift which would not turn into MOOP?"

She is bringing a lot of specialty booze (stuff made in Texas) to gift/share and I was going to do LED flashlights, but then she suggested my breakfast stuff and it went from there.

Also got our first aid kit together, including heater/radiator hose repair kits for the RV, in case it gets stick too. :)
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:51 am

Good luck with your NV health paperwork. If you haven't filled it out already, it's not as scary as it sounds (and get a move on, I think the registration deadline is next week).

I'm glad to hear you've got plans for an easier trip this year, Meat Hunter. And congrats for getting the gear off and on the way!

I'm currently in 'do I have enough bins?' mode - I'm pretty sure I will, but every time I go by or shop at that big box warehouse-a-ma-bob I want to throw a few more flip-top bins in the cart just in case...

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:28 pm

As I understand it, I will not need anything from the NV health peeps as the excess foods are all precooked and in their original packaging.

The only thing I am cooking is the breakfast tacos and I will make as many as I normally do for us, and if any are left over, someone can eat them. We are talking one to three tacos. Would that need approval from NV health?
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon Aug 08, 2016 2:26 pm

Ahhhh. Ok,...let me append that. Any food stuffs left over will be shared with fellow camp mates only. That should take care of the permit issue.

I would not mind getting the permit, but they require the times you are serving and you have to be there at those times. When we eat will be all over the map, if we eat.

Anyway,...if it becomes a hassle, then we can donate the left over unopened food stuff to a charity on the way home.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:22 pm

Yeah, if your food gifting is by way of individual pre-packaged shelf-stable stuff - no permit needed (ie granola bars, etc). And you're absolutely right, unused/unopened canned goods and other shelf stable stuff can be donated... I think the folks at Comfort & Joy organize a big drop-off point on the way out (look for the giant day-glow flags), collecting for the Paiute tribe.

And woohoo for getting the bulk of stuff all finished off. Got the stuff I needed for my run of the Brainy Bar all done and dusted, and already took care of my own booze and beer and soda needs. I also grabbed a couple hanks of rope, some extra batteries for my trike's lighting, new headlamps (my good one got lost someplace last year, and my not-so-good one became my broken one at a campout I went to last year), and also got the dust mask sorted. Other than camp size propane tanks and food, I might be done with all the shopping bits!

I also got a bunch of stuff that was in the loft moved into the van and run out to storage, along with a bunch of the ready-to-go supplies. I grabbed all the empty storage bins that were out in storage, as well as one of the trikes (so I can do some maintenance and whatnot).

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:57 pm

Thank you for the tip trilobyte!

Congrats on getting stuff done!

We decided we need to re-organize a couple of the food bins to make some more room for other stuff.

Got our night glow jackets in (we call them that. added reflective tape to them) and are working on adding lighting to them. Finished adding extra stitching to the buttons of all my shorts.

Tonight we work on finalizing clothing lighting. It is an adventure!

RosieTahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Post by RosieTahoe » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:08 pm

You guys are all awesome, I love reading this thread because it reminds me to do shit I would otherwise be forgetting!

Last night I tried on all of my costumes and realized that I'm too fucking crafty and have made TOO MUCH SHIT!! (I don't really mean that I absolutely love making stuff for the burn) Any suggestions on the best camp for donating some fun hand-made and some not hand-made costume items once I arrive this year? I know there are a few options but I never visit costume camps because I have too much of my own stuff.

I can't WAIT to see you all in the dust, whooohooo!!!!!

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:49 pm

RosieTahoe wrote: Any suggestions on the best camp for donating some fun hand-made and some not hand-made costume items once I arrive this year?
I would love to plug my friends at Camp Wardrobe MalFUNKtion for this purpose! This will be their first year on the playa but they have been costuming burners at various regional events here in Colorado for many years :D They will gladly take any items which you want to rehome and you might find something new and fun for yourself at the same time. I believe they'll be part of Dustfish Village, at 7:00 & Esplanade.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:49 pm

+1 to MADgirl's suggestion, you could also look up Black Rock Boutique (usually somewhere near Center Camp) or SlutGarden (they do a costume exchange called.... Sloppy Seconds :lol: ).

RosieTahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Post by RosieTahoe » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:51 am

Thanks trilo and madgirl. I like the idea of helping a new camp. I'll get my ass over to 7 & Esplanade early in the week and maybe make some new costume - loving friends :)

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:41 am

I got the trike into the loft, did the mechanical maintenance, and stripped it down to check the batteries. This trike had some issues charging on the playa, and upon close inspection the solder connection had busted. It was my own damned fault, the soldering iron we have is great for electronics, but wasn't great for electrical... I was short on time and so tried to make do. Fortunately I do have a little time left, so I'm getting an iron that's made for electrical work and hopefully do it right this time.

Madgirl

Post by Madgirl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:47 am

Finally remembered to renew my AAA membership. Every year the trip to the playa and back seems to get a little bit tougher for my old car, so this was definitely a high priority item on the 'need to do' list.
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Elorrum
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Baby fell in the Bucket

Post by Elorrum » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:01 am

Madgirl wrote:Finally remembered to renew my AAA membership. Every year the trip to the playa and back seems to get a little bit tougher for my old car, so this was definitely a high priority item on the 'need to do' list.
Did you get the premium with the longer towing distance? AAA saved me the last year of my old car's dysfunction, all around the country. When I realized that they were my commuting partner, it was time to get a new car. A very good value all around.

I haven't done anything yet today, so I won't post plans. I post a great burn, but most of my plans get pared down to essentials. Found a piece of brick to sew into the baby doll's tummy. (more on that later.)
"Ask again later." - Magic 8-Ball

Madgirl

Post by Madgirl » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:07 am

I absolutely did...that longer towing distance has saved me more than once, in not only my vehicle but others as well.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Wed Aug 10, 2016 11:58 am

Extra 12vdc USB power ports installed in cab of new to me truck. check.....

Rear view camera installed in new to me truck. check...

Trailer brake controller installed in new to me truck. check....

New trailer plug installed. check....
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Wed Aug 10, 2016 7:01 pm

Email Invitation by the hotties to inspect my disability vehicle/ car came today, as well as my final low income ticket confirmation email from ticket fly. I used to worry about that shit... Locksmith coming over tomorrow to get extra keys made, and appointment made to get air-conditioning serviced. ( Used car did not come with trunk key.) I hope there is nothing strange in there! :| :coffee:

I bought an old-fashioned ice-cream maker at a yardsale, the old hand crank kind. Just add ingredients into can, spin it up in bucket filled with ice and salt. I think I can get by with shelf stable whole milk, sweetened condensed milk in cans, and whipping cream in the tub. I'll be experimenting in the next few days with flavorings, or just plain vanilla... I will share with just campmates. :wink:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 11, 2016 8:30 am

The shipment with the extra pods for my podbelt finally turned up, woohoo! I'd ordered a couple extras (so I don't have to unload/reload tools and parts for when I'm building vs. going out and being social), and got a notification that the package was delivered yesterday... except when I checked the mail, no package! Our mail is delivered in a secure lobby area, so I didn't think it was a snatch & grab, but wasn't sure if it got put into the mailbox of someone who was out of town for the next month, or if it had just gotten lost. I put a note out by all the mailboxes asking for help in locating the package... and lo and behold it was there this morning. Huzzah!

Now to take a look and see if I need any more bags for the vac sealer...

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:37 pm

Howled like a coyote as the sun set below the horizon.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

ZigZag
Camp Name: Fade to White

Post by ZigZag » Thu Aug 11, 2016 6:47 pm

30 vegan burritos made and vacuum sealed.
Vacuum sealed small portions of salted almonds. Kale chips, and coffee cacao bars.
Got some awesome fur for my bike.
Got some good grey water buckets.
Got several books on CD to listen to on my drive down
Confirmed my van rental for about the third time (they know me by name at the rental office now)
Got a cheap MP3 player just in case there is a music shortage on the playa
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:17 pm

The new soldering iron arrived and is definitely the right tool for the job. Trike #1 is all set and back together, and I'll hopefully get cracking on trike #2 tomorrow.

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:14 pm

I just talked myself into ordering 66 more feet of LED string lights.

Madgirl

Post by Madgirl » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:46 am

Leap wrote:I just talked myself into ordering 66 more feet of LED string lights.
You can never have too many lights.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Fri Aug 12, 2016 8:57 am

I hear we have sticker lovers among us......

Steeeeeekers arrived. :coffee:
IMAG1791a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 am

Flag pole installed!!! 8)
DSC01542.JPG
DSC01543.JPG
DSC01544.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

FIGJAM

Post by FIGJAM » Fri Aug 12, 2016 9:43 am

DSC01545.JPG
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 12, 2016 4:25 pm

Trike #2 is all re-wired and gearing up for another dusty adventure...

Madgirl

Post by Madgirl » Fri Aug 12, 2016 6:17 pm

Early arrival pass in hand! I'm feeling terribly unmotivated right now so that's probably all I'll get done today :roll:

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”