2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Re: 2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Post by ZigZag » Tue Apr 19, 2016 7:38 am

Made a test cover for my tent's mesh windows. I can't figure out how to get them cut to the right size
Not sure how the Beacon 557 glue is going to hold up once it stretches out when the tent is assembled.
Test. Re-test.
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:27 am

Covers were a total fail. Think i will go looking for a Kodiak. Ugh.

leebroadway
Camp Name: Black Rock Blind Tiger

Post by leebroadway » Wed Apr 20, 2016 4:43 pm

Hi, my name is leebroadway, I'm a birgin and I'm about to buy a 10x10 Kodiak! :shock: I'm just debating on the vestibule... :?

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:07 pm

leebroadway wrote:Hi, my name is leebroadway, I'm a birgin and I'm about to buy a 10x10 Kodiak! :shock: I'm just debating on the vestibule... :?
I have the Springbar version, and the vestibule is great for regular camping, but not at all suitable for the playa. The wind would rip it to shreds. You need a shade structure, not the vestibule.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

leebroadway
Camp Name: Black Rock Blind Tiger

Post by leebroadway » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:46 pm

Roundabout wrote:
leebroadway wrote:Hi, my name is leebroadway, I'm a birgin and I'm about to buy a 10x10 Kodiak! :shock: I'm just debating on the vestibule... :?
I have the Springbar version, and the vestibule is great for regular camping, but not at all suitable for the playa. The wind would rip it to shreds. You need a shade structure, not the vestibule.
Thank you! It's honestly an expense I don't want to take on unless it's really worth it. I'm looking into aluminet or something similar for my tent.

illy dilly
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Gnome Dome

Post by illy dilly » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:22 pm

ZigZag wrote:Covers were a total fail. Think i will go looking for a Kodiak. Ugh.
We have had a lot of luck with the simple 2" spring clamp and old sheet method. It does take a ton of the little clips, but they're pretty cheap at HD and amazon.
Have you tried the clamp and sheet method?
Why don't ya stick your head in that hole and find out? ~piehole
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:48 am

I was trying to make covers from some nylon I got at JoAnn Fabrics. Cutting the covers to fit was near impossible on the small screens and the bigger ones are going to be tougher. I got some Beacon 577 glue because I was told it would be the strongest glue and would work on the rain treated tent fabric. It didn't stick hardly at all and the edges of the nylon frayed and it looked like it was going to be moopy at best. Hot glue might have worked here in the cool of a Minnesota April but in the Nevada desert in August? Probably going to be a big mess.

This was an experiment going rapidly downhill :!:

Realizing this was going to take a lot of hours to work out, I turned to Craigslist and found a guy selling a brand new 10x10 Kodiak for less than half the retail price. I pick it up tonight. :D

Tent dust problem solved. Now I can turn to my shade structure. Film at 11. :coffee:

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:05 am

Ratty - please just make a new thread for 2016.

Roundabout - you're damned right on that one. New boots arrived, a full size bigger, and still uncomfortably tight. That and the insoles that were recommended didn't really feel quite so magical. I'm going to take the hunt in a different direction and look for a different brand or style that may get the job done.

leebroadway - welcome aboard! Unless you're already committed or determined, you may want to reconsider the kodiak tent. Aside from the expense, their massive bulk makes it significantly more challenging for you to build a suitable shade structure, and without that the tent would be incredibly uncomfortable to sleep in during daylight hours. My advice would be to look for a solid 3-4 person tent, and consider building a monkey hut (you'll find a bunch of great threads on the subject, it's a type of pvc-pipe and tarp quonset hut).

Zigzag - wow, sounds like a crazy tent mesh mod adventure. For what it's worth, I've found that as long as you're under a decent shade structure and the mesh parts of the tent have a decent rain cover you should be fine (since a good shade structure blocks both the sun and a lot of the wind). Good luck with whichever tent you decide to use!

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:24 pm

I received a new set of tires and wheels for my Lincoln Towncar Limousine via UPS. I installed new battery but not the new alternator. I will get it done, when I take the limo to the local dealer for a tune up and smog check. I am saving up for a new Lanau roof which costs $575 material, plus labor. I want it to look good as a disability vehicle. I can carry 8 in back.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Sat Apr 23, 2016 8:55 pm

Going to Burningman in a Limo! Awesome!!! :D :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:11 pm

Finally bit the bullet on one of these guys:

The deciding factor was the length of the poles - larger Springbars have poles >5' that don't collapse, while the smallest Springbar and the Kodiaks have 35" poles. This probably weakens the uprights, but I think they've been tested enough on-playa for me to trust them. Plus, it will make packing much easier!

Also, planning continues apace for the handcar. Sourcing parts now.

If anybody knows a large maker space in Seattle we can rent room from, please let me know.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Mon Apr 25, 2016 1:09 pm

Ahhh! Interesting approach! I wish it had worked because that sounds like a "once and done" solution.
And nice score on the Kodiak!
ZigZag wrote:I was trying to make covers from some nylon I got at JoAnn Fabrics. Cutting the covers to fit was near impossible on the small screens and the bigger ones are going to be tougher. I got some Beacon 577 glue because I was told it would be the strongest glue and would work on the rain treated tent fabric. It didn't stick hardly at all and the edges of the nylon frayed and it looked like it was going to be moopy at best. Hot glue might have worked here in the cool of a Minnesota April but in the Nevada desert in August? Probably going to be a big mess.

This was an experiment going rapidly downhill :!:

Realizing this was going to take a lot of hours to work out, I turned to Craigslist and found a guy selling a brand new 10x10 Kodiak for less than half the retail price. I pick it up tonight. :D
Plan for the worst, expect the best. Make the most out of it under any conditions. If you cannot do that you will never enjoy yourself. ~CrispyDave

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Wed Apr 27, 2016 11:38 am

Yea, but now I have a few yards of green nylon fabric and don't know what to do with it! Have to make it into an outfit or something.

The tent was an awesome deal, it had never even been taken out of the case, it still had the factory seals on it. Then they guy told me he had a nice OzTent Stretcher Cot, brand new, he would throw in for half price. I made out like a bandit.

Now I am waiting for it to quit raining here (Minnesota) and warm up so I can set it all up!

Lonesomebri
Burning Since: 2018
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Post by Lonesomebri » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:07 pm

New Socks
IMG_20160428_160539.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Camp THREAT: Dominating the porta potties 3 years running.
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:54 pm

More juggling supplies, to replace the set of juggling balls I left behind at the airport :(

Lots more planning on the little girl's off-rail industrial handcar.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun May 01, 2016 7:49 am

Got my volunteer shifts nailed down this morning at ass-early A.M. Yay! :coffee: :mrgreen:

Nice socks, Bri! :lol:
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" 3:15 & D

Post by Molotov » Sun May 01, 2016 8:00 am

Savannah wrote:Got my volunteer shifts nailed down this morning at ass-early A.M. Yay!
Me too, after negotiating the ESD Shiftboard minefield at 0800 local time. Got 4 fire shifts confirmed and wait listed for two more, including a couple in pre-burn week. I get those and I'm good to go for two weeks in the scenic Black Rock Desert.

Can't wait!

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Sun May 01, 2016 8:02 am

Molotov wrote:
Savannah wrote:Got my volunteer shifts nailed down this morning at ass-early A.M. Yay!
Me too, after negotiating the ESD Shiftboard minefield at 0800 local time. Got 4 fire shifts confirmed and wait listed for two more, including a couple in pre-burn week. I get those and I'm good to go for two weeks in the scenic Black Rock Desert.

Can't wait!
Yaaaaaaaaaaaas. :D Good luck on the 2 additional shifts!
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Mon May 02, 2016 10:44 am

Congrats on the shift signups! Not a whole lot of progress in the last few days - after sending back the ill-fitting boots last week, I did some reading and checking of reviews, and ordered a different pair of boots today.

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 pm

I found an old pair of leather boots in the closet. Adding some sock liners and that should be good to go. I forgot how comfy there were. Hard to fit my feet (12 AA with really high arches) and I was not looking forward to finding good shoes to wear at BRC. Problem solved! WOOT!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Mon May 02, 2016 12:40 pm

Started going barefoot this weekend to get my feet toughened up for the Playa. Dropped a glass out of the cupboard onto the kitchen floor where it exploded and then promptly stepped on a piece of glass. Guess the shoes will be staying on another week.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley
We welcome the stranger, but that doesn't mean we have to like them, nor they us, and that's alright. - AntiM

W6BJD

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Mon May 02, 2016 1:02 pm

My Amazon list is pretty large. :shock:

Trimmed down the Google Doc packing list to meet my needs. Starting to gather items. Much of it on the Amazon list....

Got my EMT roof mounts for the 'Rollin' Man Cave' cut & shaped yesterday. Should be drilled and taped by end of the day.
I'll post pics when they are done. The RMC being a converted car hauler, I have the luxury of being able to mount them anywhere on the roof.

Sorry to hear about your foot TT120!!!
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Post by Leap » Mon May 02, 2016 4:25 pm

A solid red 100% cotton shemagh from India. While I need to wash it, it's already soft. This is much better than the cheap one I got before but not quite as nice as the one from Palestine, albeit cheaper. I'm trying to find that Goldielocks fabric and then figure out how to paint or screen-print something cool on it for gifts.

BoyScoutGirl

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Mon May 02, 2016 5:23 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:My Amazon list is pretty large. :shock:
Trimmed down the Google Doc packing list to meet my needs. Starting to gather items. Much of it on the Amazon list....
Careful... Amazon keeps track of what you've looked at and is eerily good with suggestions for related items. I can't search for anything on Amazon these days without a suggestion to look at electrolyte tablets, pee funnels, or cheap strings of LEDs.

ZigZag

Post by ZigZag » Mon May 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Started butt training: Out on the bicycle for a few hours. Ouch.
Got the cargo van reserved.
Ordered more stuff from Amazon. Its beginning to feel a lot like Christmas!

BM obsession rages on.

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Mon May 02, 2016 7:20 pm

Careful... Amazon keeps track of what you've looked at and is eerily good with suggestions for related items. I can't search for anything on Amazon these days without a suggestion to look at electrolyte tablets, pee funnels, or cheap strings of LEDs.

True, I have so many lists, with very, very different items, I keep their algorithms working hard. :wink:

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

EGAZ

Post by EGAZ » Wed May 04, 2016 7:06 pm

Well, I got two items today. The first was a bike for $40. Pretty much ready to ride but I'll go through it as Elliot has advised in his posts and emails.
IMAG1648-a.jpg
IMAG1650-a.jpg
It's an Electric bike. A Currie, E-Cruiser. The thumb throttle needs repair and I need to check out the motor, then replace the batts, if the prior two are good to go. If not, I pull the electrics & start peddling.

Rides nice and everything works under peddle power.

Did I mention it was 40 Dolla no Holla?!?! 8)

But the big one was a Golden Ticket to BM!!! Through the kindness of a fellow eplaya member, I was offered the ticket at face price/fees/tax. Thank you, Thank you, THANK YOU!! You know who you are........ :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Post by Roundabout » Wed May 04, 2016 9:25 pm

Congrats Eldergeekaz!!! :D
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:54 am

Congratulations Eldergeekaz!
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

illy dilly

Post by illy dilly » Thu May 05, 2016 12:07 pm

Congrats on the Ticket and the Bike!

You're having a pretty lucky day! You should buy a lottery ticket!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”