2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Re: 2016 One Item A Day For BM List....

Post by Oldguy » Mon Aug 01, 2016 7:45 pm

OOPS! Flat tire on the mobility scooter. This thing won't hold up, so i'll buy a bike this week. Looking for a trike so I don't fall over... My plans keep changing, as I knew they would change. I get my gubmint check this week, so I can get all the things. :coffee:
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 01, 2016 8:01 pm

Rosie!!! Where you been hiding. Save me a hug. (and a lip balm.) You have 3 months yet...Take yer time. (Chuckling to myself.)
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah

Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

June Cleaver
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by June Cleaver » Tue Aug 02, 2016 9:25 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:Cut out all the bubble warp covers for vents & windows in the RMC. (Made a beer cozy and insulated PlayMate lid with the left overs. :mrgreen: )
Sanding and paint prep for the battery box on the bike.
Moved a marker light on the trailer that was behind the awning support. (don't need a pull over hassle.... even though it has been that way for years...)
Learning how to use my new Baofeng UV‑82HP radios.
Making adjustments to food/beverage list.
Hey!! Get off my cloud :-)
Cut the thermofoil crap for the windows.
Checked with the water guy in Reno, yay refills on water can happen.
Recieved a lovely bouquet of (50) 14"
lag screws today.
Bought a jumpstart battery charger thingy.
Joined that big road service company in the event of a...no, thats not gonna happen. :-) But 2300 miles one way is a hike..

Getting much closer yet soooo far away.
It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I'm pleading The Fifth.

2017. They-----> Fucked YER Burn

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:10 am

Had two vinyl signs made for my friend camped at Camp Do Nothing....the signs are laying on stomach of the Queen of Thailand.
The guy sleeping is not a vinyl sign.
Name of the printing company is 666 Advertising, in Koh Samui, Thailand.
666 sign for CDN.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:18 am

June cleaver wrote
Joined that big road service company in the event of a...no, that's not gonna happen.
At the very least check with your car insurance agent that you have 'road emergency' coverage. It's under $20 and covers flats changed, run out of gas, jumps and a few miles of towing.

Talent hits a target no one else can hit; Genius hits a target no one else can see.
Arthur Schopenhauer

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:29 am

Got my final clothes selection sorted last night. That and the food shopping are my 2 least favs of prep.
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Post by BoyScoutGirl » Wed Aug 03, 2016 8:52 am

$35 worth of protein bars.
3 pounds of raisins.

As the wise yogis say, it's all about balancing the flow.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Brainy Bar

Post by trilobyte » Wed Aug 03, 2016 9:17 am

Awesome work, Rosie!

And interesting shot, DoctorIKnow. I'd love to see that big printer in action (I'm guessing it's the thing on the right of the shot). The place where I get my art posters printed is pretty awesome, but I think they top out at 8 feet wide. Which reminds me, I still have one more piece to figure out and get done.

I got the trailer hitch sorted on the van earlier this week, and I think I'm finally done with the painting and coating on the signs and the bar. Now I need to shuttle some of the finished stuff over to storage so I can make room to bring the trikes over. They need to get checked out and lubed up and all that stuff...

I also made a painful trip to the friendly neighborhood apocalyptic warehouse joint. There I stocked up on beer, soda, and personal booze... and also grabbed a couple big (and heavy) shelving units that I plan on bringing out to the playa and setting up in our storage container so things can be better organized and setup/teardown go more smoothly from one year to the next (well, in theory anyways...).

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:52 am

I had been wondering how I could display and give away the facemasks that I made. These handy little fold up boxes are perfect for travel. I made one for the pink census stuff too.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Arthur Schopenhauer

BeeWeeDee
Burning Since: 2012

Post by BeeWeeDee » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:35 pm

I believe I received this personalized from Patsch at the Meet and Greet last year. Affixing it to the pee bottle has been one of those things I've been meaning to do since then.
The next morning you will wake up pretty much your old self except that a very unusual 16 hours will have been added to your store of life experience.

Oldguy
Burning Since: 2005

Post by Oldguy » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:22 pm

Scored a used Huffy fat tire bike for 80 bucks, a 2 ton scissor jack for 25, and went to DQ for 5 buck lunch. Paid my phone, internet, gargage, water&sewer, credit card, and grocery bills. $185 cash set asside for gas and snacks. Paid all outstanding bills and have enough left in checking to pay credit card, for ticket&parking bill. Going to Sutter County fair tomorrow, Nevada County Saturday, and Butte County Wednesday.
Fun, fun, fun.
Image current moon
" Build your wall. we got tunnels. " - George Lopez

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:34 pm

BeeWeeDee wrote:I believe I received this personalized from Patsch at the Meet and Greet last year. Affixing it to the pee bottle has been one of those things I've been meaning to do since then.
Wow, BeeWeeDee, I'm sorry the D came out looking more like a P! Either someone bumped my elbow while I was writing it, or I'll have to blame it on Doc's Absynthe....
The pee bottle seems like an appropriate place for it! :wink:
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:22 pm

I got the health permit application filled out and mailed it out today (woohoo). I also got a couple more pods for my belt ordered earlier in the week. I love that thing, but hated having to go through the process of switching out all the contents on two of the bigger pods whenever I switched between working around camp and going out for a bit. Now I'll be able to switch out the worker pods for the adventuring pods easily, and not worry about something blowing away or getting misplaced along the way.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:50 pm

Got a 36-tooth chainring for my cruiser (thanks for the tips Elliot!). Now this bike should be much easier to pedal than the 44T! Maybe I'll even reduce the ratio further.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

EGAZ
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:49 pm

Finishing up soldering the power harness for the E-Cruiser. (Bike) Panic power switch, fuse, padded battery box, 32ah of battery, (no room for more). Cell monitoring to keep from killing the batts.
Wheel strips, spare tubes, spare tires, patch kit, hand pump, aluminum pedals, lock for the baskets, cool '8-Ball' valve caps.

Did a test freeze of the 5Cuft freezer, run time, hold time and temps, all looks good!

Tying up loose ends.... :coffee:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Joeln
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: On our own

Post by Joeln » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:44 am

Oh you all are making me jealous. When do we start the 2017 One Item A Day thread?
I'll just have to stop reading this site until October...
I got a nice used cruiser at the silent auction at work, aluminum step thru frame. I took apart and cleaned the rear hub and put a bigger rear cog on it. Cleaned and lengthened the chain. New tube and tires and it's ready to design lighting / decoration. Btw what's a good brand of dry chain lube for the playa?

Hurts to be missing this year and all you good folks but I'll be back!
Collapse first and avoid the rush

Patsh

Post by Patsh » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:20 am

Joeln wrote:Oh you all are making me jealous. When do we start the 2017 One Item A Day thread?
I'll just have to stop reading this site until October...
I got a nice used cruiser at the silent auction at work, aluminum step thru frame. I took apart and cleaned the rear hub and put a bigger rear cog on it. Cleaned and lengthened the chain. New tube and tires and it's ready to design lighting / decoration. Btw what's a good brand of dry chain lube for the playa?

Hurts to be missing this year and all you good folks but I'll be back!
You'll be missed, Joel!
Best chain lube that I've found for the Playa is Clean Ride, from White Lightning. Pretty expensive, but well worth it. It doesn't get gunked up with Playa dust.
It also works very well on playafied zippers (tent doors etc.). I bring an acid brush to apply it to zippers.
formerly, Triken

keep on triken' Mamma!
Triken' ma blues away....

Theatre is Life
Cinema is Art
Television is Furniture

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:42 am

It's a 2016 version of the thread, but that doesn't mean you can only post stuff you've gotten for this year's burn - fire away, Joel! Sorry to hear you won't be out there this year, but woohoo for the early start on 2017!

Madgirl
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Synapse Conduit

Post by Madgirl » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:54 am

Replaced both headlight bulbs in the car...one just burned out on Thursday so now I've extra-bright long life bulbs instead. Adjusted the position of the roof box a little too, been needing to do that for a while now. Hopefully it won't shift around at highway speeds anymore :?

Still on the to-do list for today: unpack my tent and make sure the poles and everything are still in good shape, make a trip to Wally world to pick up a few more bins for organizing, and start the clothes sorting (always a process).
The playa isn't "home" to anything or anyone, it's not magic, it's just a goddamm camping trip. A really awesome one. -Captain Goddammit

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Fly Ranch Project

Post by Just_Joe » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:24 pm

Flying Camera application approved. Woop!
Of course, this added a bunch of Items (batteries/memory cards) to my list, so I guess I'm negative for the day.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:30 pm

Yea for Just Joe!! You make the best videos. Today I picked up a few things at a yard sale. Including a boom box and vintage Jarts. I've always wanted Jarts.

Arthur Schopenhauer

ChicoTerri
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: XJoy, Home of Playa Mart

Post by ChicoTerri » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:53 pm

I went to the dreaded dollar store to finish stocking Playa Mart. Happily they had plenty of unexpired sunscreen, lip balms, and loads of other goodies. Even tiny first aid kits. Semi decent cowboy style hats for .99...someone somewhere is getting screwed, but we will make some hatless folks happy. I have so much more stuff than last year that I need to create a whole new way to display everything.
Welcome to Playa Mart! You forgot it? We've got it.

“A sense of humor...is superior to any religion so far devised.”

“You should never hesitate to trade your cow for a handful of magic beans.”

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:34 pm

I engaged in commerce, and promptly blew more than I earned at Costco. Not much more. Now I have juice pouches to freeze, hummus cups, mozzarella bars, and go-gurt. Huzzah for wretched excess.

June Cleaver
Camp Name: Camp Threat

Post by June Cleaver » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Ratty wrote:June cleaver wrote
Joined that big road service company in the event of a...no, that's not gonna happen.
At the very least check with your car insurance agent that you have 'road emergency' coverage. It's under $20 and covers flats changed, run out of gas, jumps and a few miles of towing.
Thanks Ratty.
Towing the trailer, so It covers lockouts, 200 miles towing, jumps, gas and all the other jazz that could compound. Im bringing the speed jack anyway......

Got all the cookware n utensils into the glamper. The cupboards are stocked with drygoods....

This seems to be going ok. ...for the moment.
It's your thing, do what you wanna do. I'm pleading The Fifth.

2017. They-----> Fucked YER Burn

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:21 am

Today I bought 200 feet of 4-gauge copper grounding wire for a project. It's such a lovely material to work with, holds its shape, and has a pretty color.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Aug 07, 2016 9:40 am

Congrats on the approval, Joe! I like the stuff I've seen you shoot, and look forward to seeing what you come up with at this year's event. And fingers crossed for fairer skies, this time around, too!

Sounds interesting, BBadger, I'm curious to see what you're making.

I finished making the new additions to the rubber stamp bar this morning. I worked out the designs and made the rubber bits on the laser earlier, and then finally got my wooden blocks and cut the sheet of spongy double-stick tape to size for what I made, then put 'em all together.

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp/We got this!

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:24 pm

Got all our food bins stocked. All our food stuff is ready to eat. Warming is an option. Bringing extra of everything. Will gift, so we do not take any home with us.

Except for breakfast stuff. Did a test run using a crock pot to make my world famous (well,...it is a small world...no?...ok,..my neighborhood then) pancake/crepe breakfast tacos. Takes longer (about an hour), but quite manageable. I'll make a few extra every morning. If no one wanders by, they can be put into the freezer for the next day.

Got a hundred feet of lighting for the RV. Working on the flag to fly on it. Got the t-shirts ordered.

The last Amazon order is on the way.

The last major thing to get is 50 gallons (2 gallon jugs) of water (not including the 55 gallons in the RV). We will pick it up along the way to BRC from Fort Worth.

That RV is going to be packed. I think we got this. Famous last words, right? :D
As the camp evolves.....
We got this! 2016/2019
We had it! 2020
We almost lost it! 2021
We have no idea where it is! 2022
Who the hell are we and why are we here? 2023

trilobyte
Site Admin

Post by trilobyte » Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:38 pm

That's pretty admirable, Skuzzy, congrats!

I got a couple utensils I needed for the Brainy Bar, as well as a container I can use to measure out ingredients for drinks, and a couple inexpensive baby pools I can use for secondary containment on my gas cans. Here I thought they'd be easier to get later in the summer, and instead a lot of places only seemed to have really tiny ones or really expensive ones. Third store had what I was looking for.

Jackass

Post by Jackass » Sun Aug 07, 2016 4:39 pm

An all white suit with faint grey pinstripes, pants and jacket. Was ready to cough up $18 for it at the thrift store, but was delighted when I got to the check out counter... Saturdays are 99 cent adult clothes day, $1.98 plus tax...BOOM. It was from a rental company so it's got all of the little tweaks built in to make it adjustable.

Maybe I'll don the suit and attend several random playa-weddings.

I'll be the sharp dressed mutha in the photos that no one knows and no one invited, drinking cheap beer...

"Who the hell is this jackass at my wedding?"
Sooner or later, it will get real strange...

11th Principle: Depussyfication - Keeping Burning Man potentially lethal. Token

lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Post by lucky420 » Sun Aug 07, 2016 5:59 pm

Jackass wrote:An all white suit with faint grey pinstripes, pants and jacket. Was ready to cough up $18 for it at the thrift store, but was delighted when I got to the check out counter... Saturdays are 99 cent adult clothes day, $1.98 plus tax...BOOM. It was from a rental company so it's got all of the little tweaks built in to make it adjustable.

Maybe I'll don the suit and attend several random playa-weddings.

I'll be the sharp dressed mutha in the photos that no one knows and no one invited, drinking cheap beer...

"Who the hell is this jackass at my wedding?"
Yes!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”