Medications on the playa...

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Sham

Medications on the playa...

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:55 am

I know this subject has been touched upon before, but it's worth re-reiterating again. Here are my own personal helpful hints.

All prescription medications should ALWAYS be in the pharmacy bottles. Do NOT mix different pills in the bottles. Bring a separate bottle for each different medication. Do NOT use those daily pill organizers that are normally used for your pills. These will cause suspicion if you run into any law enforcement interactions. Bring only the quantity of pills you will need for your time at BRC (with a few emergency extras). Overzealous police may confiscate bottles that they find questionable.

For over-the-counter medications such as Advil, melatonin, aspirin, vitamins etc., those should also be kept in the bottle that they came in. Do NOT ever mix any over-the-counter pills within bottles to save packing space. Each medication should be in it's own bottle. If law enforcement is confused, they will issue you a large ticket that you will need to fight in court. While you will win, it will require you to fly to Nevada to fight it. Many people have found it cheaper to pay the unjust fines, rather than pay the travel expenses.

Stores sell tiny travel/trial size bottles of all various medications. It's wise to get those for each of the medications you may be needing. Again, one bottle for each. You can refill these bottles from larger ones, but again, make sure that every pill looks the same in that bottle (don't mix the round ones with a capsule shaped ones). Pharmacies can also give you very small prescription bottles that have the official labels on them. Just ask.

When I travel during the year for business and pleasure, I put all the various OTC and prescription medications in one small bottle and never had an issue. When traveling to BRC, things are very different and special care should be taken not to give law enforcement ANY reason to question the validity of anything you're carrying.

Canoe

Re: Medications on the playa...

Postby Canoe » Sat Feb 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Excellent Sham.
A valuable reminder.

Sham wrote:...Bring only the quantity of pills you will need for your time at BRC (with a few emergency extras)...
Pharmacies can also give you very small prescription bottles that have the official labels on them. Just ask...

As in, exactly for the purpose of travelling. To be absolutely clear, you don't need to go to the doctor for another prescription for a tiny amount: they print another label and put them on small "travel" bottles for your use. Typically without any fee, as part of their service. Hint: ask for this when they're not busy.
"My favorite people are the people of the dessert", said Lawrence as he picked up his fork.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Eric
Burning Since: 2003
Camp Name: BRC Weekly

Postby Eric » Sat Feb 27, 2016 1:34 pm

I agree with most of this (and if you're paranoid, follow Sham's suggestions closely). I do, however, use the daily pill organizers - I will be in real trouble if I miss any of my pills, and the easy reference of just looking at the organizer makes my life much better. I only put my prescription meds in it since they are all clearly imprinted with what they are, and I have all my prescriptions in their original bottles with me as well. The prescriptions & the organizer are kept together for both the trip up & back. On the playa I have the organizer where I can access it easily.

You are not always going to be at the top of your mental game on the playa, do what you need to make sure that any critical medicines get taken. You can always leave the organizer empty for the trip up & back, and just fill it once you arrive.
It's a camping trip in the desert, not the redemption of the fallen world - Cryptofishist

Regarding Scammers & Scalpers
Please read above link for all official information.

Eric ShutterSlut
Ass't Editor, BRC Weekly

Shoeshine
Burning Since: 2010
Camp Name: Camp DIY

Postby Shoeshine » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:16 pm

Must agree with Eric.

I use a complicated regimen of Diabetes drugs that have to be somewhat carefully timed to work with my insulin. My pill planner is critical. (especially if I'm tired, out of my normal schedule or have had a few)

However... I keep these all in a kit (along with my syringes and injection prep doodads - talk about possible paraphernalia suspicions -)

My health system has an online pharmacy page where I can print out my prescriptions on a couple of pages. They even have the pill descriptions on it (ex: round white marked 10 rev LP) This printout lives in my kit which lives in a locked briefcase (more to keep out some idiot that might think he scored some funpills than LEO's.)

*edit: I would keep it in the locked car except the insulin has to stay in its cooling case which would be useless in a un-shaded vehicle

I just cant believe that LEO's could be that insane to deprive me of my life maintaining meds if I have proper documentation, but admittedly I have yet to be searched to that extent.

TL:DR: do what you need to but don't be stupid about it.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail."

Sham

Postby Sham » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:58 pm

Shoeshine, your circumstances require you to have all those medicines with you. I'm sure you'll be fine, as most attendees don't have bad interactions with the police.

It IS actually a paranoid caution that I am recommending for everyone. This caution becomes lax for most of the attendees who have nothing to hide. So many of the tickets issued to innocent people are for unidentified pills in bottles. Those searches take place after being pulled over for going 6 mph in a 5 mph zone. You will be asked if you have anything illegal, then asked if you mind if they check. For that small minority of people with law enforcement interaction, you will have a $500 ticket in your hand before you realize they even opened your bottle of Advil--and that bottle will be gone.

Yes, paranoid is the correct word.

Elderberry
Burning Since: 2007
Camp Name: Mudskipper Cafe

Postby Elderberry » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:09 am

Mind if I check? Not at all--as long as you have a warrant.
JK
http://www.mudskippercafe.com
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle.
Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.

Sham

Postby Sham » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:17 am

Elderberry wrote:Mind if I check? Not at all--as long as you have a warrant.

Sure, you can wait by your car for several hours while they get that warrant, but after all that effort, the police are going to want to find "something"--anything in your car to justify waking up a judge to get that warrant.

I still go for the paranoid caution with everything. Keep in mind that the BLM (Bureau of Land Management not Black Lives Matter) spends most of the year driving endless miles in rural America. Burning Man gives them a chance to hone their police skills and tactics.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:48 am

Correct. Never believe the fallacy that having nothing to hide, or not actually doing nothing wrong, is sufficient to defend against suspicions of guilt.

Even if there is no citation issued, you've lost -- at the very least -- time that you could be enjoying doing something else. Police don't help put your carefully packed luggage back in your car either.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Molotov
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: ESD Camp "The 'Burbs" exiled to 3:17 & G

Postby Molotov » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:25 am

And if a K-9 alerts on your vehicle (even if falsely triggered by the handler's command to the hound), that gives them all the probable cause they need to search without a warrant. Since they are looking for something as small as a single pill, needle, or an MJ seed, that means they can go over the vehicle with a magnifying glass and look in every nook and cranny. Anything illegal they find in the process (like a handgun) is probably fair game since it would be in "plain sight"-even if it's hidden and they find it looking for a pill.

I can't wait until the cops jack up one of our senior citizen burners who has their 19 life-preserving pills they take every day in a pill planner and not the original pill bottles. If it was me my second call after my attorney would be to the media.

Sham

Postby Sham » Wed Mar 02, 2016 7:27 am

I've always been suspicious about the positive for drugs that the K-9 dogs get. The whole concept is completely abstract. Did the dog really turn his head to the right and make a slight barking sound? What is a positive and how is this confirmed other than the word of the police officer who is trying to get in your luggage to dig through your belongings?

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:55 am

Molotov wrote:
I can't wait until the cops jack up one of our senior citizen burners who has their 19 life-preserving pills they take every day in a pill planner and not the original pill bottles. If it was me my second call after my attorney would be to the media.

LOL, story time. We pulled over on 447 in one of the chain up areas because Larry needed a bandage. Since it was morning, I decide it was the perfect opportunity to take our daily pills, some prescription, some OTC, some herbal and vitamins. A cop pulled up, we knew one might as they were very active that pre-event morning. I had the wonder toolbox open, had just slapped a bandage on Larry, and was opening pill bottles. A lot of them. The cop and Larry chatted about the new truck (purchased less then 24 hours before so temp tags...) while I took pills and handed Larry his batch. Cop did not blink an eye, told us to have a great time and made sure we got on the pavement easily, then drove the opposite direction.

I guess the 447 gods blessed us that morning?
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 9:48 am

AntiM,

Sadly for us, you, Larry and I do not have the physical appearance that LEO are searching for.

Like Molotov wrote, I carry my vast collection of geriatric meds. in a segregated pill container along with all the same meds. in their original prescription bottles.

If LEO would like for me to match each pill with those in their original bottle and my weeks supply of pre-filled syringes along with the original vials stored in the cooler, I will be more than happy to do so. So be it. I ain't going to change...... and I have CNN's & my doctors telephone numbers on "quick-dial".

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:25 pm

OK, now I'm laughing at myself. My mind did I spin when I read 'vaginal vials stored in the cooler'.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:03 pm

I've kept everything in the original bottles. My prescription BP and cholesterol especially. OTC I bring would be vitamin C, fish oil, calcium and
some herbal extracts that are supposed to help lower BP like cayenne pepper, blueberry leaf oil, olive leaf oil.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Thecatman
Burning Since: 2002
Camp Name: alone

Postby Thecatman » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:07 pm

Sham wrote:I've always been suspicious about the positive for drugs that the K-9 dogs get.

The HP comes to our yard and plants drugs on our trucks to train their dogs. Kinda interesting to watch. Waiting for them to forget about a location and leave the drugs there.
My cats are cuter than your grandkids!

"Government is not the solution to our problems, government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:21 pm

Miss Ratty,

I am missing something here. Probably due to my advanced level of decay; What is a "Vaginal Vial"?

If anyone needs to ice down their "Vials", you are welcome to use my cooler......

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:53 am

Lots of good points have been made here. I agree with Sham's first post, but Eric makes a great point about pill organizers. From a law enforcement scrutiny standpoint, in the prescription bottles or original store-bought containers is best, but I think something like a pill organizer (which is generally recognized as a legitimate thing) is a close second. If you're worried about being searched or detained for long periods of time while stuff is verified, you may want to have a list of the prescription meds as well as name/number of the doctor's office that prescribed them.

One other suggestion I'd make, if you have medication that needs to be refrigerated, put the container into a water-tight container (small tupperware container) or water-proof ziploc bag. You don't want the risk of cooler water either getting into the container or messing up the label.

pretty_monster
Burning Since: 2010

Postby pretty_monster » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:02 pm

i have a pill organizer that i use 24/7 in defaultia. when traveling to & from the burn, i keep that same organizer together with all of my actual pill bottles in a giant ziplock bag in my backpack on my passenger seat. they're easy for me to access and easy for me to show if LEOs want a look.

once on playa, i just keep my organizer with me. i'm not carting around 8 bottles of meds. i have copies of my prescription labels in my notebook (the same little notebook that has a copy of my ID, copies of my insurance cards, my camp info, etc.) along with a list of all of the prescription & OTC meds that are in my organizer. if they really wanted to a raise a fuss about it, i guess i'd have to go back to camp for my actual bottles but i've never once been questioned or searched so *shrug*
1) radical self reliance
2) piss clear
3) safety third
4) leave no trace

The Rat Lady
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: BRC DoA/ Mobility Camp

Postby The Rat Lady » Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:47 am

Another thing to note if you are a Virgin Burner, or have been prescribed a new medication since your last burn. Look to see if it makes you "Sun Sensitive"!

You can get a SEVERE Sunburn, even if you "never Burn", if you are taking meds that increase your sun sensitivity.

That last thing you want on the playa is a giant cast of Sun Poisoning :oops:

For more tips on preparing for the Differently Abled (us Gimps;)
See our survival guide for those with disabilities.http://www.mobilitycamp.org/?page_id=75

See ya in the Dust!!

Rat Lady
"Outside of a dog, books are man's best friends. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read!"
Groucho Marx

DerbyDave 18
Burning Since: 2015

Postby DerbyDave 18 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 12:25 am

I use a daily organizer. I take about 10 different meds and I have to take specific pills both at day and night and trying to remember which goes when and with what would be impossible if I brought the bottles. I did fine with them last year.

Skuzzy61
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Postby Skuzzy61 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 8:16 am

Query. In Texas, and many other states, it is illegal to carry a prescription drug not in its original container. Is that true in Nevada?

We would like to use pill planners and what I would do is take a photo of each prescription (along with the pill) and affix it to the inside lid of the organizer.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Postby Dr. Pyro » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:36 am

I've never heard of that. If it were true, it would make those seven-day multi pill dispensers rather useless. I keep all my prescriptions in one of those cases and the thought that it may be illegal never crossed my mind. Probably much to do about nothing. I hope.

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:46 am

Well the laws are all over the place, from state to state. Some states only require Schedule II, or better, drugs be kept in the original container. Some states, it is any prescription drug. I cannot find anything, for certain, about Nevada, but I have to drive through three other states to get there and at least one carries that law on the books.

In Texas, Maine, and Washington, it appears to be a Class B drug felony. Although I think Maine only covers "schedule" or "controlled" prescription drugs.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

JaronK
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Cult of the Magic Lady

Postby JaronK » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:01 pm

One thing I find useful is keeping medication in a cooler. Not a cold one... just a small cooler that keeps the temperature relatively even. Some medications do weird stuff if they get too hot.

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:37 pm

I carry my array of meds. in a 7 day am/pm pill organizer and I also carry the remainder of the meds. in their original pharmacy containers.

When flying, I carry the whole assortment in my backpack. I have never had a problem with airport security -- Yet.

On occasion, I have had my pharmacy make me up duplicate set of med. containers that I sometimes carry in a different location.

Yup, Doing it this way might cause an inconvenient moment. But, if it happens, then it just happens.

silvergirl70
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace for 2017.

Postby silvergirl70 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 1:54 am

I was curious about this as well. I think that they (henceforth aka "law enforcement") is more interested if you are carrying a controlled substance without a prescription. I was browsing some legal pages online and found this one:

https://www.kconnollylawyers.com/crimin ... es-nevada/

Of course, if someone wanted to be a dick about it, they could take a pill found outside of an Rx bottle, say, a blood pressure pill, state it was unidentified, and make the above case.

When you receive Rx, oftentimes there is paperwork accompanying the Rx that describes the medication (e.g. round white tablet with an X on it) and names it. Although the pill may not be in the bottle, this paperwork might make things easier. Medications are easily identified with their markings (there are apps for that).

I'm getting from the gist of the law that it's really the countrolled substances they care about...opiates, sedatives, ADHD drugs, etc. Metoprolol and metformin have no street value.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Skuzzy61

Postby Skuzzy61 » Thu Aug 11, 2016 4:19 am

I noted in a BM article it stated to keep prescription drugs in their original container. Just to cover my tush, I will do so. I only have one prescription, so it is easy. The rest are supplements.

I figure, better safe than sorry.

silvergirl70
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace for 2017.

Postby silvergirl70 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:43 am

Unfortunate that those who have multiple Rx must resort to the original bottle. Funny thing is that all medications, even generic have an identifier stamped on the tablet or capsule. Law enforcement and we in the ER frequently use identifiers to figure out what pills our unconscious patients are taking.

That being said, there are case reports of illegal homemade meds being stamped, primarily for the purposes of selling said drugs. Most likely these would be drugs with street value, namely narcotics, sedatives, etc.

I would be more concerned about scheduled (e.g. opiates, stimulants) drugs not being in their original bottles. I would definitely keep those in the original bottle. It would be easy to prove that any other pill such as a blood pressure med has no value for street distribution. That being said, if Nevada law states keep them in the original bottles , probably not worth the court hassle if you are pulled over not to comply.

The following apply to scheduled drugs:

http://www.shouselaw.com/nevada/drug-tr ... ation.html

https://www.kconnollylawyers.com/crimin ... es-nevada/

My thought is that if you are searched, and if an officer writes you a ticket for unlabeled pills, make sure that he describes the pills (color, shape and identifier stamped code) on his ticket.

As a corrolary, I wonder if a photo of the bottle with the pill description and Rx description would suffice. I would think that when the Rx is picked up, you receive a written copy of your prescription. I would bring that with you.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”