Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Aluminet Durability?

Post by trilobyte » Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:11 pm

Sorry, I missed the rain question.

It's absolutely fine in the rain. The water passes right through it, with very little added weight or stretch because of raindrops.

You would definitely want to make sure both the aluminet and the ground were completely dry before taking a structure down and folding or rolling up aluminet, because wet dust is somewhere between wet clay and concrete, I can't even imagine what kind of a crazy mess that would make.

It's probably also worth adding that I would not ever use aluminet as my only shade cloth on the playa, and I probably would never use it over our kitchen or tent spaces. Rain on the playa does occasionally happen, and I think it's critical to keep that stuff dry.... plus having structures under heavy duty tarps gives us a dry place to stash anything else in camp that we need to keep dry.

Rez
Burning Since: 2016

Post by Rez » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:15 pm

Kelsier wrote: Depending on my budget coming up closer to the burn, Aluminet looks to be the way to go. So most likely I'll end up going with cheaper shade clothes. :roll:
this is so true.

Trilobyte.. I couldn't look past the pizza! is that Pizza on the playa? good god.. that would be amazing..

but back on topic. I am noticing when shopping around that aluminet is starting to go on back order for the summer. So I guess I better start making a choice here soon. I did find something cool. I was in the storage part of my garage and forgotten all about a huge trampoline my kids used when they where younger, More so the round 7 ft height by 32 ft wide cage structure for it. It is really sturdy and breaks down enough to fit in a 5 foot duff. It has not been out of the duff in about 12 years but I may pull it out this weekend and check it out. That would be one hell of a cool frame to use.

Looks like this ..
m9xYrV7lHFA46mXY8HfFMUQ.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
" I WILL call you pretty for the use of a Shower"

Kelsier
Camp Name: Camp Fuego

Post by Kelsier » Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:45 pm

Wrap that in Billboard Vinyl and sleep in it! Extra bouncy for fun times.
It seems that this is my circus, and apparently those are my monkeys.
I'll get the net.

Rez

Post by Rez » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Not sure why it won't let me edit the post.. but anyway..

Typo Not 7 ft height by 32 ft wide cage it's 7 ft high by 22 ft
" I WILL call you pretty for the use of a Shower"

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:57 am

It's a 30 minute window for editing posts.

Yeah, we occasionally bring out a pizza oven and do "Space & Thyme" pizza delivery from the future.

Yes, aluminet prices start going up in late winter and then ship dates and availability start going out the window in spring and summer (busy season for the greenhouse industry I imagine). I'd start with heavy duty silver-on-silver UV tarp - spendier than a generic tarp but max sun shade and UV blockage. if you end up loving the event as much as you think and want to step things up for next year, you can upgrade to aluminet (also after having had the chance to check it out in action, to boot).

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”