Burning Man wedding

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
sweber0
Burning Since: 2016

Burning Man wedding

Post by sweber0 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:35 am

Hello everyone-
My name is Sheila and this will be my first year at Burning Man. My fiance and I are looking to get married and we are wondering if anyone knows of any wedding officiants? Also, maybe a photographer?

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Re: Burning Man wedding

Post by trilobyte » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:38 am

I'm giving this a move to the Q&A board, since that's a better fit for general questions about the event. You may also care to use the search function (or look at the similar topics, below) or browse the boards, I think the subject of weddings has come up a few times. Congratulations on the upcoming nuptials, and good luck with all the planning!

Chowski
Burning Since: 2009

Post by Chowski » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:47 pm

Hi Sheila:

Probably not what you want to hear, but my advice to you would be to not try to pull off getting married at your first burn. For background, this will be my sixth burn. I married my husband at my fifth burn. So I have some fairly developed ideas about marrying at the burn.

First, you are a virgin. Virgin burns can be intensely overwhelming. The dust, the heat, the cold, the noise - all these are merely the basics - the real challenges are what your brain will do, the endless social opportunities, the sleep deprivation, the overstimulation - the list of potential problems multiplies the longer you are on playa.

Second, couples at Burning Man, particularly virgins, often have a period of adjustment where your expectations and the realities do not line up. Many, many solid relationships have ended on the playa, or been strained to screeching fights and tears. You have no way of knowing how your fiancée and you will mesh as a burner team until you do it at least once.

Third, wedding planning is stressful and lends itself to visions of "perfection". Since you've never burned, you can't really imagine how you are going to feel if, say, your dress gets destroyed before the ceremony or the rings get lost in the portos or you wake up on your wedding day after two hours sleep, with a cold sore on your lip and pink eye (hey, it can happen when you're exhausted). So many things can go wrong - and so many things you plan can fail - that you are asking for trouble if you have any "musts" about how you want your wedding to be.

My heartfelt advice to you is to just go this year, and think hard about if this is the kind of wedding you might want to have NEXT year. The first burn is an unforgettable, once-in-a-lifetime experience. You don't need to add your wedding to that for it to be special. Also, if you wait until next year, you will be more comfortable (as you will learn, for example, to bring an air mattress instead of a sleeping bag, or whatever it is that YOU learn).

If you decide to go ahead with your plans anyway, you need to go in person to get a marriage license in Reno. Google "how to get married in Nevada" and you need to have a licensed officiant do the ceremony. Congrats on your upcoming wedding, and my last bit of advice is to bring a nice bottle of champagne or two for yourselves after the ceremony.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:29 pm

+1000 Chowski is wise.

ranger magnum
Burning Since: 1996
Camp Name: Outpost Tokyo

Post by ranger magnum » Sun Jul 24, 2016 8:54 pm

Better yet, try this: get the legal wedding done in Reno.

Then have a big, fun Playa wedding. There was one camp a few years ago that did fun and silly weddings, complete with a cool wedding certificate.

But chowski nailed it. Wait a year.

Because when you get divorced, and you go back to burning man with a new piece of arm candy, do you really want to be constantly reminded of past lapse in judgment?

I got married on Playa in 13, then divorced in 15. Last year it took all the drugs to cloud my memory enough to where I could forget about the enormous check I had to write....
Praise the Lowered

wendy645
Burning Since: 2016

Post by wendy645 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:43 am

How did it end up working out, OP? :)
Life is simple; it's just not always easy.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”