Being on the Rag at Burning Man

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Re: Being on the Rag at Burning Man

Post by BBadger » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:34 am

Hats off to you, women!

I am not envious of what you suffer at the burn, let alone most of your lives. You're badasses, each one of you.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:10 am

silvergirl70 wrote:Aaaand.....got my period ON GATE ROAD on the way in. I can only laugh.
This is why one always carries supplies, even even you are not expecting a period, or even if you just had one. The playa does odd things to cycles and normalcy.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:53 am

We received a number of visits at ESD from passersby seeking tampons. ESD ran out of Tampax by Temple Day (if not before). When ESD does have tampons, they're unable to distribute enough for one person for 4 or 5 days; they can give you 1-2, tops--enough to hold you over while you ask friends, neighbors, & strangers for assistance. ESD also often has the address of camps who blessedly concentrate on gifting feminine supplies--but such camps don't exist every year (and they can run out of stuff, too).

With my final tampon customer, I remember digging around and eventually locating a tiny box that someone had clearly donated to ESD. I allocated two measly applicator-free mini-tampons ( . . . none of those terms bring me joy . . . ) which I placed into a latex glove for a modicum of protection. I don't think she was very happy with me. :)
*** 2018 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

JohnnyA
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Real Pirate Radio

Post by JohnnyA » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:15 pm

Savannah wrote:ESD ran out of Tampax by Temple Day (if not before).
I'm a bit late, but since I'm already beginning to plan for next year ...

For those of us boys old-enough to have gotten over the male embarrassment of going into the store and buying these feminine supplies for our loved-ones or daughters, can you please suggest what we should go out and buy if we want to gift such supplies to the ESD or one of the other camps?

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:08 am

Oh my. How nice to think of women and your unique gift. :oops:
ESD has OB tampons (no applicator) and regular Tampax (cardboard applicator). If you really felt obligated to bring tampons, I'm sure it would be much appreciated.
Station 6 (really around 5:30) gets the most traffic.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

JohnnyA

Post by JohnnyA » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 am

I had to check out the thread when I saw the title, because I haven't heard that expression used since I moved from England to the USA, and wasn't sure if you ladies were going to be serious or joking! :wink:

A strange kind of "gift", perhaps, but I'm just thinking of my daughter coming out to BRC, and her predicament if she ran out of supplies. It's a silly "dad" thing. :roll:

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:34 pm

JohnnyA
I think she would die of embarrassment if her dad had tampons ready for her. Haha.
:D
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

JohnnyA

Post by JohnnyA » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:38 pm

silvergirl70 wrote:JohnnyA
I think she would die of embarrassment if her dad had tampons ready for her. Haha.
:D
Hey ... she proudly showed my the thigh-high fuck-me boots that her boyfriend had bought her, and didn't even seem to consider the thought that I was having to struggle to throttle the deep urge to choke the living daylights out of him ... I owe her one! :lol:

Anyway ... it's just me thinking like a dad, and wanting to give something back, especially to the ESD and Station 6, since they saved my burn in 2016 when a stupidly-obtained cut was starting to get infected and I'd neglected to be Self-Reliant enough to bring the appropriate supplies. :wink:

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Post by AntiM » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:44 am

Someone used to hang plastic bottles with the tops cut off, full of OB tampons, on the posts next to the porto potties. The problem was, there was zero dust protection, even wrapped tampons can be a bit off putting covered in dust, and there was no way to impart the information that a used tampon should not go in the potty. If anyone does bring feminine supplies, also being a box of ziplock bags to hand out with them, so the ladies can pack it out.

gaminwench
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: DOTA, EoD, OBOP, Destiny Lounge

Post by gaminwench » Sun Oct 22, 2017 9:06 pm

I always bring individually bagged tampax, with baby wipes, enough for an army of Amazons.

Some years, I gift them all away; :D
some years, I use them all myself. :roll:

JohnnyA, helping stock ESD is a lovely idea!
"the prophecies of doom were better last year" trilo

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”