BRC sun/wind direction map?

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
dragonpilot
Burning Since: 2005
Camp Name: Elliot's Bicycle Repair

Re: BRC sun/wind direction map?

Post by dragonpilot » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:11 pm

I have an app on my phone that works well...Sun Surveyor Lite...if that wasn't mentioned earlier.
Don't bore your friends with all your troubles. Tell your enemies instead, for they will delight in hearing about them.

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pm

silverfish wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 pm
How does this look?
Sunrise, sunset and solar noon look credible. Not so sure about the arc that runs between them, but it's hard to tell at that perspective.
Be nice if you could add hourly lines out to the arc.

Seems hard to tell where the sun will be coming from, from the perspective of someone's camp, for setting up a camp layout with shade structures.

I haven't run numbers yet this year as I've not seen this years map nor the specific location on the playa.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Popeye
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Beaverton

Post by Popeye » Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:57 am

I suppose it's accurate enough but the convention in North America is north at the top of the map, makes it hard to read.
But, maybe whoever drew this is from the southern hemisphere?
silverfish wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:58 pm
How does this look?

nobody wants to live in a world with only one flavor...

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:51 am

Popeye wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:57 am
But, maybe whoever drew this is from the southern hemisphere?
I think the difficulty is in finding a perspective of a 3D model that provides one with a meaningful look & feel of what is happening, when that model shows a hugely reduced scale.

With the above flat views, you can see the direction the sun will be at, hence where your shadow will fall. And for how far, if one looks at the elevation at that time. Most people who've paid attention to sun direction & elevation can quickly wrap their head around making a model in their mind of where the sun will be. I have that ingrained, both from doing my maps and from being on the ground at BRC and seeing the through the day. But for someone who hasn't been to BRC, or has never paid attention close attention to the sun's arc regarding solar collection or creating shade, I don't know how quickly they really form an idea of that.

With that 3D model, the 3D arc is valid for someone standing at the Man, but is viewed from above ground from the NE. At the scale representation of the drawing, that's problematic, as if at Solar Noon one is standing at the South side of BRC by Walk-in camping, the sun will not be overhead to the North between Walk-in and the Man... And if you're over at Gate, the sun will not be up in the sky to the ESE...
You'd have to scale the view out a lot to have the line intuitively show that the sun at Solar Noon will be to the South up at 58 degrees. You can 'read' that from the drawing, but it's not an obvious relative presentation.
If you view that model from the South, so North is "up", the sun's arc at that scale would be even more misleading.

If you imagine that your camp is at the Man, then that presentation of the arc becomes a lot more usable.
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

Dactylion

Post by Dactylion » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:05 am

Here’s one that’s not spot on accurate, but seems to help people visualize the elements better...
BRC3Dsolwind.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"All mushrooms are edible, but some only once."
-- Croatian Proverb

\dak-ˈtil-ē-ˌän\NOUN: Of, or pertaining to the tip of the middle finger.

DoctorIknow
Burning Since: 1998

Post by DoctorIknow » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:11 pm

As much as one wants to set up both for sun and wind, you may find yourself with NO CHOICE about putting your "housing" footprint as desired.

Therefore, have shade for any side ready.
Have your shade structure not dependent on ideal setup, and make that structure strong.
If you have a tent with your door facing the wind with no vehicle to block it, perhaps have extra shadecloth to stretch from your shade structure diagonally to the ground, deeply rebar or lag screw it in the ground and that will take some stress away from your door and the tent in general.

jasonk
Burning Since: 2014
Camp Name: Barbie Death Village

Post by jasonk » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:18 am

At least since 2014 (I don't know about earlier), the city/sun alignment has been consistent. Does anyone know why?

It can't be for "sunrise over The Man", the alignment is bad for that. Someone proposed it's so the airport runway can be on one side of the pentagon, and line-up well with proper winds for take-off/landing.

The only possibly-intentional "sun alignment" I see, is that 2:00 road seems to consistently line-up quite closely with sunset.

silverfish
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Ridiculicious

Post by silverfish » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:34 am

I think it's so the 6 o clock/ 12 o clock axis aligns with the length of the playa. Said a different way, if you stand at center camp facing the man - you look down the length of the playa. If the 6/12 axis pointed north you'd look at much closer mountains.

I imagine this is to give greater space for art to inhabit a blank canvas. Less clutter in the background, a sense of a larger, more infinite space.

Token
Burning Since: 2001

Post by Token » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:45 am

The alignment has been steady more or less this whole millennium.

Why did Rod do it that way... ??? Hard to say and we can't ask anymore.

You will just have to take it as a grand Playa mystery.

RIP Rod.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”