Numb toes: help needed

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
sheppard
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Jesus Shaves

Numb toes: help needed

Post by sheppard » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:47 pm

Hello everybody.

Sometime Friday morning my big toes started feeling numb. My guess is that I slept in an uncomfortable position.

Right now is Tuesday, and my left big toe has about 1/2 limited sensitivity on the right hand side. My right big toe has a little numb on the tip. Overall all of my figers and toes were somewhat swallen throughout the event. Perhaps due to 3000m altidutude and everyday biking, dancing, and alcohol consumption activities.

I have SHIP insurance from UC San Diego, but I'm not sure if its of much help as I will be in the Bay Area for about 2 more weeks. I really don't want to lose these nerves and have my toes fall off haha.

What would you guys recommend doing about my toes? Visiting foot massage salons every day? Doing acupuncture? Soaking feet in a hot tub?

Ano
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Everlasting Fuck-you's

Re: Numb toes: help needed

Post by Ano » Tue Sep 06, 2016 3:52 pm

I've had this happen before, no idea why. It went away after a week. I think it had to do with all of the extra activity I was doing.

You'll be fine!

GreyCoyote
Burning Since: 2000

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:06 pm

Dont take this as being unsympathetic, because I do understand your pain. But asking us what amounts to a medical question isnt going to get you a reliable, quality answer. You need to call your doctor and discuss it with him. Could be nothing but Playa Brain, or it could be the end of life as you know it. We arent qualified to make that call.

In the mean time, coconut water, a long soak in a hot tub, lots of fluids/electrolytes, and some badly needed rest and quality nutrition would seem to be pretty safe bets. :)
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:49 pm

Get to doctor.

In addition to the usual info you'd provide a doctor with, include what is known of the playa soil:
specific components of the dust blowing on the playa:
be it the fine clay or other soil components (SiO2, Al2O3, quartz, micas, calcite, feldspar, vermiculite, illite, and kaolinite),
aquatic micro-fauna eggs or dead body parts,
bacteria normally on the playa,
bacteria deposited by migratory birds,
bacteria blown in off of surrounding land, or
the bacteria in the water that the water trucks spray on the dusty BRC roads.
some interesting info about the water source for dust suppression. ...
Total Coliform 1,732.9 mg / 100 mL
Escherichia Coli (e. Coli) 11.0 mg / 100 mL
Fluoride 8.4 mg/L
So when you're running naked behind those water trucks, keep your mouth (and other orifices) closed!
5,507.9 pounds of E. Coli bacteria spread on to the playa each year at burning man (~edit: in the water sprayed down for dust control)
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:20 pm

Canoe: are those numbers for Coliform right? If so, thats not water, thats officially hazardous waste. 1.7 PERCENT of that water is an organism that is trying to kill you.

Sweet mutha of gawd if that data is correct... I had no idea.
"To sum up my compassion level, I think we should feed the unwanted animals to the homeless. Or visa versa. Too much attention and money is spent on both."
(A Beautiful Mind)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:55 pm

That could certainly explain why there were so many issues with people "bathing" in the spray of the water trucks.

Not my numbers.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=55846
lemur wrote:read more about the source and whats in the water carried by the water trucks here:
https://www.blm.gov/epl-front-office/pr ... 007-EA.pdf
section 3-21 'fly ranch water source' page 61 of 328
Total Coliform in fly ranch source: 1,732.9mg / 100 mL Max for drinking water: 0.0mg/Liter
E. Coli in Fly Ranch source: 11mg / 100 mL Max for drinking water: 0.0mg/Liter
the same document claims that the LLC contracts for six million gallons of water.
that equals out to 5,507.9 pounds of E. Coli bacteria spread on to the playa each year at burning man.
kinda makes you think twice about eating from that dusty pan, doesnt it?!
Video games are giving kids unrealistic expectations on how many swords they can carry.
... but don't harm the red dragon that frequents the area from time to time. He and I have an agreement.

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:06 pm

(-Speechless-)
(A Beautiful Mind)

Canoe

Post by Canoe » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 pm

Well, this is where I add "Read the back of your ticket?" :wink:

Dr. Pyro
Burning Since: 1999
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp & Wine Bistro

Post by Dr. Pyro » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:10 am

I suppose suggesting getting a blowjob will make you completely forget about your toes isn't very helpful advice, is it?

asr9754

Post by asr9754 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:04 am

Dancing shoes too tight???

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 07, 2016 11:24 am

Dr. Pyro wrote:I suppose suggesting getting a blowjob will make you completely forget about your toes isn't very helpful advice, is it?
A good one always makes me curl mine. Could be therapeutic... So in the spirit of science, I'll get back with ya when I have more data. :)
(A Beautiful Mind)

Doctor VonBacon
Burning Since: 2013

Post by Doctor VonBacon » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:06 pm

I'm not a Doctor, but I play one on ePlaya,

It would seem to me that you have a terrible case of brain cloud.

I like eggs.

Krokodyle
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans Too / Camp Space Hole

Post by Krokodyle » Thu Sep 08, 2016 8:12 am

See a doctor!

That said; I've had the same thing happen to me and it eventually goes away. Right now, post-burn, my right toe is pretty numb on the left side. Most noticeable in the shower, where the floor is cooler. The area is getting blood flow but no feeling. My guess is that it's a combination of things: wearing playa shoes for ten days I don't normally wear (ie hiking boots & crocs), standing/walking/biking more than I usually do, etc. Does BM cause it? No, but it may exacerbate an existing condition, probably nerve-related.

But again, see a doctor to be sure.
I can't help it, I'm a born lever-puller.

"DON'T TELL ME HOW TO BURN™"

sheppard
Camp Name: Jesus Shaves

Post by sheppard » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:33 pm

Thanks for all the thoughtful and witty rePLAYAs.

The circulation is fine, capillars get easily refilled from what it looks now. Neurologically things are mostly inctact except for some diminished sensation which seems chronic. What happened was probably compressive neuropathy due to Dr.Martens boots, biking, and an awkard sleeping position that night. A UCSF MD thinks this will resolve on its own in 3 weeks. In case it does not, I will see somebody else again. Ibuprofen intake in not required, but may be used as a possible treatment. What was funny that right before visiting a doctor my toes started feeling better haha. It's like when your car makes that weird sound, so you take it to a mechanic, and it does not make that sound anymore.

xoxo

EspressoDude

Post by EspressoDude » Fri Sep 09, 2016 7:55 pm

pinched / abraded sciatic nerve from bending over and /or falling down too many times. particularly those times that took more than 3 or 4 tries to get back up
Is 4 shots enuff? no foo-foo drinks; just naked Espresso
Tactical Espresso Service http://home.comcast.net/~espressocamp/
Field Artillery Tractor
FOGBANK, GOD OF HELLFIRE
BLACK ROCK f/x Trojan Horse,Anubis,2014Temple
burn shit and blow shit up

Skuzzy61
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp

Post by Skuzzy61 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:02 am

The entire soles of my feet and all my toes are numb along with my hands, which are also swollen.

The hand swelling is slowly getting better. The numbness in the hands and feet seem to be getting a bit better as well.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

yangon
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Nemo

Post by yangon » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:52 am

I'm at least glad to hear i'm not the only one with this affliction. Every year my big toes are numb for about a week after the burn. I thought it had to do with my boots but I changed them this year and still had the same problem. It does eventually go away after a week or two.

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:07 am

My hands are back to normal. Some feeling is returning in my right foot. The sole seems to be coming back, but the toes are still out. The left foot still has numb soles and toes.
I really would like to change the world, but I do not have access to the source code!
Duct tape is like "The Force"! It has a dark and a light side, and holds the universe together!

GreyCoyote

Post by GreyCoyote » Wed Sep 21, 2016 4:42 am

See? Doc Pyro was right. Blowjobs for the win!!

Seriously: glad to hear its improving.
(A Beautiful Mind)

silvergirl70
Burning Since: 2015
Camp Name: Freestyle Palace

Post by silvergirl70 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:38 pm

Trolling this forum several months later, I came across your post.
Glad your symptoms resolved, and your issue was likely multifactorial (shoe compression #1) alcohol consumption, pressure on sciatic nerves from fabulous sleeping arrangements, electrolyte imbalances, heat all playing a part. I had some of the same issues which also resolved, within a week or so as well.
If it happens again, PM me. I am a physician.
Wear good shoes and socks and give your feet a little rub to get the circulation going before bedtime this nxt year.
And, I agree with the Brain Cloud diagnosis. Love that movie.
:coffee: Never play leapfrog with unicorn. :coffee:

Skuzzy61

Post by Skuzzy61 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:16 am

My feet have not returned to normal. I have managed to get some feeling back in my soles by doubling the inserts in my tennis shoes. Had nerve tests run and nothing wrong there. Three different doctors are scratching their heads over it.

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”