2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
bigbluedoggy
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Re: 2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:10 pm

I was all happy to come in here and post a pic of our new camp stove only to discover that Trilo has stolen my thunder! Well, I did get a slightly different model although they are basically the exact same stove. Not sure we will need the giant griddle but I'm considering it. The griddle is flat on one side with a grease trap on the edge and ridged on the other as you see in the pic. John is providing scale. It's a hell of a step up from our little two burner Coleman! I may even have to take up cooking... it's so exciting!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

bigbluedoggy
Camp Name: Destiny Lounge 3D

Postby bigbluedoggy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:13 pm

And this was actually a few days back, but I took delivery of some shiny new Aluminet to add to our shade structures! The bags contain the grommets. I'm getting in the mood!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
A plan is what you vary from.

Destiny Lounge has been proven to cause cuteness in small kittens.

Destiny Lounge 3D - proud member of the 3:00 Portal for 2017!

Strata
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Strata » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:22 am

Tried out the https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008HMWC4A/ cheap new Seal a Meal on some turkey chili with mac shells, and it seems to work great. They are going in the freezer for Saguaro Man, but I'll definitely be sealing stuff for the playa later on in the year.

Also ordered tie-downs and lag screws for the monkey hut; lag screws arrived yesterday. Man, the reality of 18" lag screws is harsh, those things are huge. Good thing the impact driver arrived as well.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 2017 *

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:17 pm

bigbluedoggy, You will use the skillet!

bacon pancakes.jpg

Cleaned up and simplified the grey water evap unit. (the GWEU) Turns out the fans & pumps are fine, the control board let magic smoke out. :? Got rid of the floats and control board. My attempt was for more hands off use. The floats, high & low level, would fire it up when high level was reached, run for a few hours then trip the low level. A timer would kick in and run the fans/pumps for two hours in an attempt to evap the final 3/4 gal left in the basin. It worked when it worked. But after I toasted the timer board on the last day and discovering my daily in & out at camp schedule and how fast it evaps the water, they are now removed. Going the KISS method like I should have in the first place, just switches for control now. Dry it out and load it for Saguaro Man.
IMAG1983-a.jpg

Going to sell this one and move to a larger unit using a 32gal plastic trash can bigger pump and fan. It will hold more water, 9g opposed to 6g. This allows me to get by only running it twice a week at the burn. Much like this one.
F8NOM4AG1O4THWI.LARGE.jpg
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Leap
Camp Name: Big Puffy Yellow

Postby Leap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:28 am

I was so excited to open this box yesterday! Going to buy my poles today and set it up tonight in the backyard.

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:57 am

You know those multiply like rabbits....... It only the beginning. :coffee:

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:16 am

Just a side note. Those things that Leap got in the mail are sold at the local flea market. All of the regular sellers build their shades from them. Although I doubt that they use the feet.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

Leap

Postby Leap » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:21 am

eldergeekaz wrote:You know those multiply like rabbits....... It only the beginning. :coffee:

Dude... I know this is how it happens.

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:21 am

fm170419.gif
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Roundabout » Wed Apr 19, 2017 7:10 am

eldergeekaz wrote:Cleaned up and simplified the grey water evap unit. (the GWEU) Turns out the fans & pumps are fine, the control board let magic smoke out. :? Got rid of the floats and control board. My attempt was for more hands off use. The floats, high & low level, would fire it up when high level was reached, run for a few hours then trip the low level. A timer would kick in and run the fans/pumps for two hours in an attempt to evap the final 3/4 gal left in the basin. It worked when it worked. But after I toasted the timer board on the last day and discovering my daily in & out at camp schedule and how fast it evaps the water, they are now removed. Going the KISS method like I should have in the first place, just switches for control now. Dry it out and load it for Saguaro Man.

Eldergeekaz, what are you using for your evaporation medium? (The brown corrugated looking stuff) Are you happy with the way it performs? I have not been entirely happy with the blue dura cool in my cooler.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:40 am

FigJam, that's my garage as you have seen..... LOL

Roundabout,

It's called CoolPad Bonded evaportive cooler pad. It can be found in pre cut sheets but I buy an entire roll and cut to my size needed. I used in my Rooftop Evap unit for years. It tends to evap the water better and have less restriction to air flow. Word of warning. Its actually a heavy paper and is moopy. So once you are done cutting it up & fitting it in the bucket, remove it one last time to get all the bits out. Saves you from removing and cleaning the pump on the deck. When on the deck try not to mess with it too much.

Lowes, HD, EBay has it as do some True Value & Ace hardware stores. I'm in the SW so its easier to find. Others will need to order it. I roll will do 10, maybe 12 FigJam coolers! :shock: So either find others in your area to split the cost or just save it in the attic for another build or ten. :wink: You can use the pads. When installing in the cage just be sure the edges are firmly pushed together. (No gaps) They don't need to be glued but if you are not using an inner cage. A couple three or four zip ties 'sewing' the edges together will work too.

I used the version that does not have the poly backing as I am only evaping grey water. If I were to use it for cooling I would use the version I linked. It filters more dust out. (I used it on my home cooler for example) I believe the 'Plus' version is the poly backed and non-plus is no Poly backing.

You will need to build a cage to hold it up. I use 1/2" rabbit fencing both inside and outside, like below. I also made a cloth sleeve for the headers. (old tee shirt as the cloth flows water more evenly when its wet) I pointed the holes of the headers up. When the pumps run the sleeve swells like a balloon and evenly disperses the water over the pads. The pads will get all floppy like a wet rag and will sag when they're wet, thus the need for a cage to hold them in place. Oh, I fixed that warp on the inner the cage. ;) I used a double stack of media as the goal was to evap water as fast as possible. For cooling a single layer works just fine.
IMAG1757a.jpg

This is one I made for JustJoe last year. I only needed an outer cage for the bucket cooler due to the small radius of the 'tube'. Joe can tell us if it sagged over the week. If it did, just add the inner cage. Thinking about it now maybe a single pad will work for a bucket cooler. hmmm. need to do the maths. The foam ring pad is just a spacer to hold the cage in the center and seal any airflow around the media pads/cage.
IMAG1776.jpg

Picked up the the 32gal trash bin & fencing yesterday for version2. Need to pull the roll of evap pad from the attic.
IMAG1987-a.jpg

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:49 am

Here some links for the other parts. I used a larger pump pushing 160gal/hr, 1.2amps (2 actually) on my bin style grey water unit and will use them again on V2. It will have a 24" tall x 15" dia cage. The bin unit with 2 pumps and 2 - 200cfm PC fans pulled just under 4amps.

The radiator fan moves 1700CFM, at 2.8 amps. Hoping V2 will run at about 5amps. We will see.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:57 am

Still making foam stamps for the 'Make your Family Crest' event at our camp. So what would you want on your family crest?

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:04 pm

a bear and a marijuana leaf :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Just_Joe
Burning Since: 2020
Camp Name: Black Rock Weather

Postby Just_Joe » Mon Apr 24, 2017 3:10 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:This is one I made for JustJoe last year. I only needed an outer cage for the bucket cooler due to the small radius of the 'tube'. Joe can tell us if it sagged over the week. If it did, just add the inner cage.

It worked GREAT. I thought it would get moopy, but held up just fine. Thanks Elder Geek!

EGAZ

Postby EGAZ » Mon Apr 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Thanks for the feed back Joe.

Ratty, god damn woman! you are a busy little beaver!! :shock:

Roundabout
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Playa Choir

Postby Roundabout » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:02 pm

eldergeekaz wrote:FigJam, that's my garage as you have seen..... LOL

Roundabout,

It's called CoolPad Bonded evaportive cooler pad. It can be found in pre cut sheets but I buy an entire roll and cut to my size needed. I used in my Rooftop Evap unit for years. It tends to evap the water better and have less restriction to air flow. Word of warning. Its actually a heavy paper and is moopy. So once you are done cutting it up & fitting it in the bucket, remove it one last time to get all the bits out. Saves you from removing and cleaning the pump on the deck. When on the deck try not to mess with it too much.

Lowes, HD, EBay has it as do some True Value & Ace hardware stores. I'm in the SW so its easier to find. Others will need to order it. I roll will do 10, maybe 12 FigJam coolers! :shock: So either find others in your area to split the cost or just save it in the attic for another build or ten. :wink: You can use the pads. When installing in the cage just be sure the edges are firmly pushed together. (No gaps) They don't need to be glued but if you are not using an inner cage. A couple three or four zip ties 'sewing' the edges together will work too.

I used the version that does not have the poly backing as I am only evaping grey water. If I were to use it for cooling I would use the version I linked. It filters more dust out. (I used it on my home cooler for example) I believe the 'Plus' version is the poly backed and non-plus is no Poly backing.

Thanks Eldergeekaz. I will try some of that this year. My bucket cooler already uses a cage type of holder. I have had trouble with the durra cool getting wet enough. The water just seems to go right through it without saturating it. It may just be that I just got a bad batch of durra cool, but I will try the CoolPad this year.
Every aspect of life is education. Even if you don't immediately grasp the lesson. robbidobbs

Leap

Postby Leap » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:20 am

I did my first test build of my new 10'x20' shade structure!

Leap

Postby Leap » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:45 am

Flights booked!

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:18 am

The first shipment of swag materials arrived yesterday. This year, instead of making all 200 pieces of swag before the event, I'm going to have a workshop on Playa where you can make your own swag. I will supply the tools and show YOU how to make one for yourself. Come to Orphan Endorphin and drink some scotch and make some swag.

I've also, for the very first time, decided to get a motel room in Reno for Tuesday night after the burn so I can have a shower and get some rest before the drive home the next morning.
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:39 am

Get 2 beds. I'll be there by 5pm.

TT120
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:43 am

Ratty wrote:Get 2 beds. I'll be there by 5pm.

Being the forward thinking person I am, I already did that. 2 full sized beds reserved and waiting. :D
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:44 am

I never do it because I tell myself I'll be fine. I'll drive straight home. Then I sleep on the shoulder every time. Live and don't learn. That's my motto.

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Postby Savannah » Mon May 01, 2017 11:25 pm

Ratty wrote:I never do it because I tell myself I'll be fine. I'll drive straight home. Then I sleep on the shoulder every time. Live and don't learn. That's my motto.

:lol:

Leap, I dig your new shade! Looks good.

Today, I picked my volunteer shifts, and am happy with what I got! . . . No small undertaking. :D

*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Lonesomebri
Camp Name: CAMP THREAT

Postby Lonesomebri » Tue May 02, 2017 2:04 pm

Something to share at the portos.
IMG_20170502_135013.jpg
"If this is the best of all possible worlds, what are the others?"
- Voltaire, Candide

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Tue May 02, 2017 2:38 pm

Those are good things! I take 2 benadryls every night for sleep. That along with my weed consumption I sleep like a baby. A goddamn glorious baby :mrgreen:
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Tue May 02, 2017 9:25 pm

Ratty wrote:Still making foam stamps for the 'Make your Family Crest' event at our camp. So what would you want on your family crest?

Ratty, these are incredible! What a fun idea. My crest would ideally have a tree and/or mountain. And a squirrel or a dog or a chickadee... something curious and a bit excitable.

Not exactly burn-related, but I applied for a summer artists-scientist collaboration residency that would bring science outreach to Oregon Eclipse. My fingers and toes are crossed. I think my idea was clever, captivating, and workable and I REALLY love working to bring science to the masses in a participatory way.

I also bought some gaudy but comfy pajama pants for playa daywear.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Tue May 02, 2017 11:16 pm

Way to go BSG. Savannah, you get to sign up so early. I'm jealous. I know ill be working tues through opening and teardown. I just dont know what time. Tt120. Great looking swag. Lonesome, a really wonderful gift idea. I feel like we should have gone with our foam and fur bike seat covers. This project is the great unknown.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Fri May 05, 2017 9:25 am

Excellent Porto gifts, LonesomeBri!
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

maladroit

Postby maladroit » Sun May 07, 2017 5:13 pm

Got some sturdy 5 gallon water containers! Saw these at Winco for 7 bucks and grabbed them.

File May 07, 5 05 11 PM.jpeg

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”