2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
Meat Hunter
Burning Since: 2014

2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:33 am

The countdown for BM 2017 has begun. Let the planning and purchasing begin.

I have already ordered a replacement for my SS cup that I gifted away, replacement OTG goggles that I ran over with my truck and three more 47"x47" 100% Cotton Shemagh/Keffiyeh -- in different colors.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Re: 2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Postby Ratty » Sun Sep 11, 2016 10:50 am

I swore I wouldn't but.... Yesterday I bought 2 bolts of tule for tutus, a nice sea horse for Census, and a sterling silver Tiffany's bracelet for making a swag charm bracelet. Can't help myself.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

danibel
Burning Since: 2009
Camp Name: Camp D'nile

Postby danibel » Sun Sep 11, 2016 11:33 am

Ratty wrote:I swore I wouldn't but.... Yesterday I bought 2 bolts of tule for tutus, a nice sea horse for Census, and a sterling silver Tiffany's bracelet for making a swag charm bracelet. Can't help myself.

I haven't bought anything yet for next year, but I am compiling quite a list:

a small propane fire pit
more shade cloth
a metal towel rack
more white flowy clothes
LED strings for hats/shade
new solar lights for rebar
furry/fuzzy vest (saw a few of these and now I want one and to light it up)
bike decorations
vog mask (or two)

And I am adding some tule and elastic because I need a new tutu!
In dust we trust.

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Postby shroom » Sun Sep 11, 2016 1:51 pm

I've got a checklist started.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

FIGJAM

Postby FIGJAM » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:22 pm

Cleaned and packed for next year.

Just need food, booze, and a ticket!!! 8)
"Don't buy ur Burn...........Build ur Burn!"

"If I can't find an answer, I'll create one!!!"

Fuck Im Good Just Ask Me

Sham

Postby Sham » Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:43 pm

A broom and a dust pan. My trailer is turning into a friggin' dust bowl. As far as I can tell, I lost nothing and nothing got broken.

Raoul

Postby Raoul » Sun Sep 11, 2016 8:26 pm

The zippers on my CamelBak finally threw in the towel, so I picked up a new one this afternoon.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Blueschaser
Burning Since: 2013
Camp Name: Elliot's Bike Service

Postby Blueschaser » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Sham: we could have helped ya: somehow, some way, we had 4 broom/ dustpan combos. Yet forgot the backpacking towels---which still are AWOL now that we're home.
"I wash with gasoline, and then I play with fire.">>>>Lil' Ed

fresh
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Black Rock Roller Disco

Postby fresh » Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:47 pm

Cheap GPS tracking device for bike so I can catch the fuckers who rip off bikes. I am convinced that mine was taken by professionals and not for a joy ride. Left unlocked for less than three minutes in high traffic corner of 10 and esplanade. If it was taken as a joyride, it should have been returned at some point since it had camp stickers on it.
"All the worlds indeed a stage and we are merely players, performers and portrayers.
Each another's audience inside the gilded cage." - N. Peart
"SAFETY THIRD" - Some idiot

Raoul

Postby Raoul » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:20 pm

Booked my RV rental.
"No problem is ever solved in the same consciousness that was used to create it." --Albert Einstein

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:28 pm

I decided today that in all probability that I will never see the OTG goggles again that I lost at the Burn. I have absolutely no idea where I left them.

So today, I order two more goggles. Since they only come with a dark lens (cool looking, but way to dark for night use), I also ordered two clear replacement lens.

If they ever accidentally reappear, then i will just have three sets.

I will say this, that out of the 10+ sets of goggles that I have worn out over the years around the farm that this particular brand and style of goggles was the best that I have ever owned at keeping out dust -- even playa dust.

Raoul

Postby Raoul » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:34 pm

I just ordered a couple trunks to replaces the beat-up plastic bins I use to cart my stuff out from the east coast.

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:14 am

- 12 more ratchet straps. Mule tape worked, but this might just be easier.

- A 500W electric computer duster. It's amazing how ineffective this is at removing playa from surfaces. :?

- A new watch, because it sucked having to do watch repairs while on-playa (yeah, I like using a watch).
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:02 am

Sham, get a carpet to put on the ground outside your trailer. Most of the big box hardware joints will have something flimsy and thin at either 5x7 or 6x9 for under $20. Drop a nail spike into each corner outside the door of the trailer - you would be surprised at how much of a difference that makes for keeping the dust down inside a tent, trailer, or any other structure.

I think 2017 lists and project ideas started months before the 2016 event, but over the weekend I went through things and made some adjustments. We also finished cleaning and re-packing the kitchen bins. They'll go to storage later today.

Hooray, thanks to Meat Hunter I've been able to reconnect with the awesome guy who loaned us a stove at the event, and will make sure he gets that back sometime soon.

I had a stack of bins that I didn't use this year, but they were still relatively dusty from the 2015 burn (in my exhausted state after that year, I didn't wash them before putting them in storage).. so I gave them all a wash. I still have some laundry left to do, and my tool bins left to clean and unpack.

Sorry to hear you lost a good pair of goggles Meat Hunter, but glad to hear you found something really awesome. What I've been really loving over the last couple years is shop glasses. That is, the safety glasses you wear when working in a wood or metal shop. I randomly discovered that they also make bifocal versions that work like reading glasses, and that works beautifully for me. I don't need glasses for distance, just finer details at short range... and inexpensive reading glasses work just fine for me. I hopped online and found not only could I get clear shop glasses with the reading glasses built in, but I could get tinted sunglasses as well. I still have some cool/stylish goggles that I can wear out when dressed up for the day (or night), they'll keep the giant playa boulders and tiny bits of dust out of my eyes (but don't really help when it comes to fine print).

I went through a few of my pictures, but still have a lot more to get through.

VultureChow
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Hookers & Makers @ Barbie Death Village

Postby VultureChow » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:07 am

The crochet hut has been cleaned and reassembled for storage. Lost a panel last year in between cleaning and reassembling and had to scramble to make a new one. Now it's all together and ready for another year.
Sic Semper Spectatores

AntiM
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Anti M's Home for Wayward Art

Postby AntiM » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:36 am

Today I am washing the tutus and the lace camp curtains. I will get random costumes hung up, put away the fleece and onesies, and do a little real laundry. Repack the kitchen box. Clean sheets on the bed. Larry did a lot with the truck and outside bins yesterday, which is why I got rewarded with a ride into the mountains that evening.

Maybe a little sewing too, and bake a batch of cookies (dough is prepared). Simple chores I want done before surgery.
http://burningman.org/timeline/

Poke me to experience my gooey insides!

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Mon Sep 19, 2016 10:52 am

Two of the four PVC up-rights on my trike canopy and one piece of PVC on the both-side sponsons on the back basket took two pretty hard hits and cracked. Both were field-repaired on the playa. Sunday, I did proper splice/repairs and a fresh coat of yellow spray paint.

And, I removed all the batteries from my flashlights and trike lights. Both are way to dear to allow batteries to leak and rot the innards.

Pretty much everything else is vinegar washed, spice 'n span and stowed away until next year.

All that I have remaining are my two bid post-event annual dreads: Cleaning my trailer and truck. Nothing else is pending, so I will take my time and get them all tiddied up before November rolls around.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Postby trilobyte » Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:32 am

For the first time, we splurged this year and got our cargo van detailed at a local car wash that specializes in post-playa cleanup. It was something that we had talked about doing for the last couple years, and were planning to do last year but since we were also getting a rental truck detailed we just couldn't squeeze it into the budget at the time... so I hit the coin op place and pressure washed it myself. We were really impressed with how well they did the interiors on the cargo van we rented last year, so this year as soon as I had everything unloaded I took it in. WOW - seriously, they did a great job and it looks better inside than it ever has (on the outside, it's still an awesome graffiti-covered cargo van). They also did a great job with the under-side, too, and overall my sweetie's really happy with the results.

Today I plan on starting to go through the tool bins to clean and unpack gear, as well as keep working on laundry.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:52 pm

I got a new tent today. (Free of course) A 6 man Coleman. Screened top that needs to be covered with nylon. I'm gonna sew the rain fly from my old tent in that spot. Can you imagine someone getting rid of a perfectly good tent just because it's missing one of the corner pieces where you insert the pole? Lame. Yippy. I don't have to wash the old tent. (That on the other hand is a GREAT excuse to get rid of it.)

ZigZag
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Fade to White

Postby ZigZag » Tue Sep 20, 2016 6:39 pm

Ratty wrote:I got a new tent today. (Free of course) A 6 man Coleman. Screened top that needs to be covered with nylon. I'm gonna sew the rain fly from my old tent in that spot. Can you imagine someone getting rid of a perfectly good tent just because it's missing one of the corner pieces where you insert the pole? Lame. Yippy. I don't have to wash the old tent. (That on the other hand is a GREAT excuse to get rid of it.)

Well you certainly got a lot of mileage out of your old one! Didn't it have a bad ending this year?
"The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are" Joseph Campbell

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Tue Sep 20, 2016 7:26 pm

No. The small old tent died but my big Coleman has only been to the playa twice. (Granted, it was an old thing when I got it.) I should not have sewn fleece over the top screens. Fleece is bulky and doesn't keep out dust. I also sewed a fleece flap that hangs in front of the door. My reasoning was, it would hang there and keep out dust when I don't feel like zipping the tent. Nope. Dumb idea.

Now my next tent will have nylon sewn over the top screen. I'll use the rain fly from my old tent. It has no windows to leave open so it'll be hot as hell but so what. I don't hang out in there. I love tents. I'll try not to accumulate too many before the burn.

I also love chairs, sock monkeys, restaurant ware and creamers, cupie dolls, troll dolls, old advertising dolls, antique office supplies and sewing notions, Pee Wee Herman, Vintage toys, handmade folk art, tin toys, tmnt, Ghost busters, robots, snow babies, paper mache jackolanterns, antique buttons, rocks, baby Jesus that used to be in a manger, (Jesi), telephones in the shape of things, bronzed baby shoes, larger than life objects, seashells wearing sunglasses and just about anything you have ever owned.

Raoul

Postby Raoul » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:36 am

Wandered into the a local thrift store today and scored a ¾ length red faux fur coat for $12!

BBadger

Postby BBadger » Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:27 pm

Properly cleaned up my bike and put it away for next year, rather than just tossing it in the shed as an afterthought for next year. I'll thank myself for avoiding that item-a-day or a week I had to spend getting it ready this year.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Meat Hunter

Postby Meat Hunter » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:08 pm

The search is on for a new set of yellow metal alloy bike peddles. The first set of yellow plastic peddles did not even make it to the playa for the first year.

After three years on the playa, it appears that the bearing inside of one of the metal alloy peddles have dis-articulated themselves from the innards.

The next time me speaks to I, I will listen when me suggests that I should do something.

====================

A BIG shout out to Elliot, Three and one half years ago Elliot suggested to me that I should install tube liners and heavy duty "thorn resistant" tubes to all of my trike tires and we all did.

So far, Elliot's suggestion has been proven 100% correct. I saw a number of people with flat or going-flat tires this year and we were not one of them. Thank you Elliot...... From all four of us.

shroom
Burning Since: 2010

Postby shroom » Sun Oct 02, 2016 1:12 pm

I'm moving over the next few weeks, so I'll be setting aside all of my potential burn items in one place when I unpack.
"Success is not the result of spontaneous combustion. You must first set yourself on fire."~~Fred Shero

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:50 pm

* Got my time off for the Burn. :mrgreen:

* Bought 4 packs of battery-powered Christmas lights on bendable wire ($1.29 apiece) from the after-Christmas sales.

*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Raoul

Postby Raoul » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:17 pm

Sent in my camp dues. Looking forward to being back at The Hookah Lounge again.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:13 pm

Everyday it's something. I was preparing a Voo Doo lounge but decided to use it at a regional. (It's not windproof.) I emailed placement with a couple of questions. Now I'm wondering if they'll be too busy to respond. Bad luck that they released some dates the same time I was writing to them. Our camp is having an event or 3 this year and it seems to be growing into an organized camp. Mixed emotions about that. We've been so successful with just a handful of folks. I guess my item for the day would be the flask covers I made.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Thu Jan 12, 2017 8:35 pm

FIGJAM wrote:Cleaned and packed for next year.

Just need food, booze, and a ticket!!! 8)

Ditto on that. I even removed a few things from the list I never touched last year.
Having popped my cherry last year, I am of a better understanding. Should be great again this year. :mrgreen:

Now I can work on outfits. 8)
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

BoyScoutGirl
Camp Name: Lamplighters!

Postby BoyScoutGirl » Fri Jan 13, 2017 12:06 pm

Finished up my welding and fabrication class. Going to get certified to use the shop on my own (without supervision) next week, probably.
When he lights his streetlamp, it is as if he brought one more star to life, or one flower.
When he puts out his lamp, he sends the flower, or the star, to sleep.
That is a beautiful occupation.

- Le Petit Prince, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”