2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
RosieTahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Re: 2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Postby RosieTahoe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Ratty wrote:Yay Rosie! Come to the Meet & Greet.

Thanks Lucky and Ratty, I'm really really really going to try and make it to the meet and greet this year! You all have been inspiring me since October 2012 before my first burn (when my friends REALLY thought I was a crazy person!). Back then, I had no burner friends and only a crazy "calling" to attend, even my husband thought I was nuts - and now he's almost as obsessed as me :)

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:15 pm

RosieTahoe wrote:

Thanks Lucky and Ratty, I'm really really really going to try and make it to the meet and greet this year! You all have been inspiring me since October 2012 before my first burn (when my friends REALLY thought I was a crazy person!). Back then, I had no burner friends and only a crazy "calling" to attend, even my husband thought I was nuts - and now he's almost as obsessed as me :)

OFF TOPIC.. I nominate Ratty as designated driver .. (what the hell.. I have lived long enough)
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Postby Ratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:21 pm

UnJohn I love you. Let's make a baby. (Oops. Did I just type that?) Can't wait to see you. Drive? I can't drive. I'm leaving my glasses at home. Contrary to popular belief, I don't drink at home. One glass of wine with dinner if available. I don't drink in bars either. Expect me to be drunk the entire event. If you need a flask come by my camp I'm bring a dozen or so.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Postby msj2u » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:41 pm

A flask, wonderful idea....
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

lucky420
Burning Since: I'm not sure
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Postby lucky420 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:45 pm

unjonharley wrote:
RosieTahoe wrote:

OFF TOPIC.. I nominate Ratty as designated driver .. (what the hell.. I have lived long enough)

hahahahahahaha
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

RosieTahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Postby RosieTahoe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:48 pm

Ratty wrote:UnJohn I love you. Let's make a baby. (Oops. Did I just type that?) Can't wait to see you. Drive? I can't drive. I'm leaving my glasses at home. Contrary to popular belief, I don't drink at home. One glass of wine with dinner if available. I don't drink in bars either. Expect me to be drunk the entire event. If you need a flask come by my camp I'm bring a dozen or so.

Ratty, I'm definitely going to come drink out of that flask :lol:

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:32 pm

Finished up some pins and medals made of small gears for the Steam Punk hat.
Soldered up a harness for battery voltage monitoring on the bike.
Fabbed an installed a 90 degree steering limiter on the bike. Keeps from stressing the cables when parked.
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Back on topic .. Do not put alcohol in aluminum containers .. The oxadiazon can kill you.. Lost some military friend that way..

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:38 pm

UnJohn it adds to the 'danger factor'. MsJ2u come get a flask. I'll fill it with rum. That's what I have most of.

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Ratty wrote:UnJohn it adds to the 'danger factor'. MsJ2u come get a flask. I'll fill it with rum. That's what I have most of.

Wine and rum was a life time ago for me.. But I have not forgotten the life.. As of June 22, I have been a sober freak for 56 years .. Does that mean the wedding is off??

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Postby msj2u » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:54 pm

Ratty wrote:UnJohn it adds to the 'danger factor'. MsJ2u come get a flask. I'll fill it with rum. That's what I have most of.

Ratty, I will find you for sure!!

(hope I'm invited to the wedding) LOL
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

Strata
Burning Since: 2006
Camp Name: Poly Paradise

Postby Strata » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:12 am

This week has mostly been a "get stuff done at work so I can leave for the playa next week" blur, but I did manage a few things:
- order 6 ton bottle jack, wheel chocks, and fire extinguisher for the new (used) truck; previous owner kept those for his new truck
- pack up all the bedding except the pillows, which we will use until it's time to leave :-)
- pack up the clothes except a few pieces in the dryer that I'll need to add in later this morning

Today I plan to organize the truck tools, and go over to U-Haul or Harbor Freight and get a ball hitch adapter for the truck's 2-inch box hitch, and get an adapter for the round 6-pin light harness into a generic rectangular 4-pin one. I don't want to wait until Weds when I pick up the trailer from U-Haul and maybe find they're out of stuff and I can't haul the trailer! Oh, and pull together all the tools I'm taking and add them to the pile in the livingroom.
Engineer, Artist, Gardener, Slacker, Bodhisattva
BearHug * KF6NBZ * Comms9060
* 1995, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2015, 2016 *

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:26 am

I read "6 ton bottle of jack"
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

unjonharley

Postby unjonharley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:31 am

lucky420 wrote:I read "6 ton bottle of jack"

Get some 2 X 6 X1ft. to go under the jack on rough ground or sand .. local lumber yard might have some cut off's for free.
I carry three ..

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Postby TT120 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:40 am

lucky420 wrote:I read "6 ton bottle of jack"

Of course you did. I did too. Any "true" alcoholic would...... :mrgreen:
Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:47 pm

I leave tomorrow night. Yikes! Today I decided it was time to pack up the van. Yes, I've been stalling and stressing. Will it fit? What will I do when it won't all fit? Oh hell, the van is almost packed and it's half empty. Tomorrow I'll pack my clothes and get to bring WAY too many. I've yet to look at my lists. Humm. What is this condition called?

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:08 pm

Ratty wrote:I leave tomorrow night. Yikes! Today I decided it was time to pack up the van. Yes, I've been stalling and stressing. Will it fit? What will I do when it won't all fit? Oh hell, the van is almost packed and it's half empty. Tomorrow I'll pack my clothes and get to bring WAY too many. I've yet to look at my lists. Humm. What is this condition called?

I envy you and apparently have the same packing strategy.

I still have 3 days to suffer through at work.

I'll be dusty on Saturday :D

Safe travels Ratty.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Strata

Postby Strata » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:41 pm

Today has been truck day; other errands started at 10am, truck day really got going around 11am.
- calculate size of drop hitch adapter needed for u-haul trailer
- visit Harbor Freight and buy adapter, hitch pin, 7-pin to 4-pin light adapter, bigass 4-way tire iron, and they are out of class 3 2-inch balls (no, I'm not hauling a class 3 trailer at this time but spouse likes to buy things once and insists on a class 3 ball)
- lunch, because blood sugar and stuff
- go to storage space, get truck
- while we are there, futz around with making sure scissor jack pieces are all there, because redundancy
- install drop hitch adapter in box hitch
- note that insurance paperwork in glove box is the old printout with the May expiration
- check all the fluids and tire pressures; couple of tires are down and the spare is on crooked; make note to fix later in driveway
- notice that the big gasket at the top of the hood is mostly loose, futz around a bunch with evil little snap-in connectors and mostly fix it
- remember that truck cap lock is stuck, which we noticed after Saguaro Man in April and forgot about
- swap out car for truck
- visit U-Haul, get a class 3 ball
- home, print out new insurance card (yay esurance)
- spend 2.5 hours taking apart truck cap lock assembly with spouse (snap rings; grrrr, even with the right tools) and cleaning many years of playa dust and gunk out of it, lubing it up with dry bike chain lube and graphite powder, and reassembling it, plus cleaning the locking rod mechanisms too; works like new
- go to install ball on hitch adapter, and realize we have no socket, box wrench, adjustable wrench, or pipe wrench big enough to tighten the giant nut
- go back to Harbor Freight, with nut, and find their "trailer wrench" is for their size nuts, not our giant U-Haul nut, and end up buying a $14.99 piece of shoddy metal monkey wrench that nonetheless fits Our Nut; much rejoicing
- back home, install ball on hitch adapter, yay
- contemplate taking off roof rack basket, find keys for rack locks, and realize we have nowhere to put rack basket once its off roof, decide to leave it there; besides, I can strap stuff to it, and ya never know

At 8pm, I stopped to make a sammich, but spouse is not hungry and is still out in driveway
- topping off tires
- adding wiper fluid
- lowering the spare and putting it back not-crooked, because even though it didn't come off on the 1700 mile round trip to Saguaro Man, it is a Safety Thing And Must Be Done. At least I made my saving throw on not doing it in the storage yard, else we'd have missed U-Haul and Harbor Freight store hours.

Didn't realize we had so much to do, so I'm glad we started relatively early... tomorrow, other things need doing!

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:12 pm

My class 2 balls seem so inadequate now.

Sounds like you had a busy day. Hopefully things slow down for you.
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

ChanceFlashLightning

Postby ChanceFlashLightning » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:11 pm

Amongst other things, today I moved my license plate onto my hitch bike rack and installed the light (that comes on when the headlights do) over it. I am strangely proud of this. Dad helped, but switched the wires and I pointed out it actually did matter which wire goes where. Research paid off!

Tomorrow morning I pack all the things into the car and head off! Will be on Playa Thursday!
Last night, as I was sleeping,
I dreamt--marvelous error!--
that I had a beehive
here inside my heart.
And the golden bees
were making white combs
and sweet honey
from my old failures

-- Antonio Machado, translated by Robert Bly

BBadger
Burning Since: 2018

Postby BBadger » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:55 am

Got some fishing wire to sew something onto a hat, some safety pins, some license plate lights (one went out, so I'll replace both just in case), an extra bike lock in case someone needs it.
"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:37 am

Can't sleep. Must fiddle faddle around here. I am NOT going to the store today. Every time I see food I buy it. If we get rained in come to my camp. I have enough for a month.

lucky420

Postby lucky420 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:56 am

Yesterday, picked up a 10ft Uhaul. My god it looks like the 10' shrunk from the last time I used a 10. Ordered a 10 back in Feb when I thought it was just me. Since then I've had 2 others join me, trike and bikes...

I asked if I could upgrade to a 15 without screwing anyone over. uhaul told me they had plenty of 15's but it would be another $500. Well I'm good at Tetris so no.

I leave tomorrow at the crack of dawn's ass or when I wake
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:06 am

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ratty

Postby Ratty » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:34 am

OK Monkey. The advantages are many. I used to set up with all the legs until I saw AntiM's shade. I travel alone and arrive early. It's simple to set up by myself. It's less susceptible to the wind. Quieter tarps. Easier to decorate. Less parts to bring. (3 legs) When it's time to make a new cover you can use those 3 extra legs to make the ceiling wider. I think the ceiling poles were a foot and a half shorter. Easy to make a replacement cover. The only drawbacks I can think of are rain and your space has a smaller foot print. I carry 2 fiberglass tent pole with caps on them to prop up the ceiling if it rains.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

FlyingMonkey

Postby FlyingMonkey » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:55 pm

Looks comfy.

Well back to packing & cleaning. It seems that someone filled a 5 gallon bucket with Playa dust & dumped it in my tent. Or I was lazy & it's the first time I've set up in 2 years.

Strata

Postby Strata » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:57 pm

Today I organized the toolbags, charged the impact driver batteries, and packed more miscellaneous tuck into bins things (paper towels, the solar shower bag, spare AA, AAA, and D batteries). Froze another couple of bottles of herbal tea for the road and for cooler ice.

There is also another truck item pending-- the "service engine soon" light came on when we moved the truck back into the storage yard this morning. The Titan message boards say there are LOTS of reasons to see this, and about a third of them are silly quick-fixes like reseating various things or cleaning filters. So, to find out if I needed to see our mechanic, I went to AutoZone and got one of those (ouch) $45 readers that can pull the codes from the computer. P1283, which the wisdom of the internet tells me is an air flow sensor and might mean the truck is running too rich. Ignoring this code can cause damage to your headers, warns the Titan owners message board, so tomorrow (Monday) when our mechanic's shop opens at 8am I will call and try to get it over there. Because we pick up the trailer Weds night, and leave Thurs morning. Yeep. By some happy accident, I don't have any meetings until 2pm on Monday, so I have some leeway for truck stuff. Whee. But better to know, and know NOW, than on the way to Reno Thursday.

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:52 pm

An entire day of Burn-only stuff!

* Packed food, drink & kitchen stuff.
* Thrift shoppin'.
* Closet diggin'.
* Administrative volunteer orientation & reading.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Postby EGAZ » Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:12 pm

Down to final food loading now! Puttering around doin' little things I see while doing things on the list. List is all but done.
Make a run for water fire up the freezer and start freezin jugs. :mrgreen:

I am hoping my final chance at a Sat. WAP come through in the next few days...... :wink:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

Savannah

Postby Savannah » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:14 pm

* Champagne, peanut butter, trek mix.
* Annoying stuff like paying rent and bills early, and turning in half the city's library materials.
* Laundry out the ass.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”