2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Questions, answers, tips & tricks for newbies and veterans alike
lucky420
Burning Since: 2021
Camp Name: Dye with Dignity

Re: 2017 One Item A Day For BM List......

Post by lucky420 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:19 am

Ordered an alpaca head
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty
Burning Since: 2008
Camp Name: Tiger Man

Post by Ratty » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:40 pm

Pulled everything out of the hut. Sorting. The free pile on the curb will be huge and very strange.
Pictures or it didn't happen Greycoyote
I a recovering swagaholic I have to resist my grabby nature VultureChow
Those aren't buttermilk biscuits I'm lying on Savannah
We're out there to play like adults with no adult supervision CaptG

msj2u
Burning Since: 2003

Post by msj2u » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:38 pm

Clothes are sorted by day and evening wear....AND packed (no I don't think it's to soon) ...LOL
The older I get, the less patience I have for stupid.

I can't be muted

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:12 pm

I Just picked up a shinny silver leather kilt that a friend made for me. Woot!
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:13 am

Yesterday I was buying Stucco tape and noticed the 'no residue' duct tape. Has anyone used it? Sounds like a dream but I'm all set with my stucco tape. (No residue there.)

euphoria101
Burning Since: 2017

Post by euphoria101 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 2:43 pm

First sewing project in years - a white furry light-up scarf for night time!!!

Savannah
Burning Since: 2018

Post by Savannah » Mon Aug 14, 2017 7:07 pm

lucky420 wrote:Ordered an alpaca head
Ratty wrote:Pulled everything out of the hut. Sorting. The free pile on the curb will be huge and very strange.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On the weekend, I did thrift shopping & more grocery shopping.
*** 2017 Survival Guide ***

"I must've lost it when I was twerking at the trash fence." -- BBadger

"Snark away, ePlaya, you magnificent bastards." -- McStrangle

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Mon Aug 14, 2017 10:03 pm

Just kegged 5 unique and tasty batches of beer. I sampled each one & the tequila IPA rocks :-)
In your wildest dreams you can not imagine the marvelous SURPRISES that await YOU.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:50 pm

Today, I have mostly just fretted anxiously.

EGAZ
Burning Since: 2016
Camp Name: Camp2 -Doin' What We Do!!

Post by EGAZ » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:11 pm

Completely washed the under side of the truck. All clean and dry, not that it was a greasy mess anyway. But now I can quickly find a leak if one should arise on the road. Truck is lubed, prepped, and gone over. The rebuilt transfer case is working as it should. I also changed a speedo 'stepper motor' that was intermittent/failing in the dash cluster. Did an LED Mod while I was in there too. :roll: I even did a quick polish of the headlights/turn signal lenses. Found one bad turn 'marker' bulb. Not the real turn 'signal' light, the one the LEOs would see not blinking and pull me over, ..... changed it. 8)

Made the final Amazon order for four items. Be here Thursday. I did much, much better this year than last....... LOL :wink:

This weekend is food prep weekend and final loading commencement. :coffee: :mrgreen:
2nd time better than the first. And the first was pretty Freakin' Great!
I am Camp2. - A solo camp - Stop by and say Hey!, 8) Gotta beer?

If you are another Solo Burner & very 'Radically Self Reliant' - Maybe we can 'Do What We Do!' :P

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Tue Aug 15, 2017 8:32 pm

I just wrapped up the construction of my Jockey Box & have the kegs on CO2. There will be no warm beer for my friends on the Playa :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MyDearFriend
Burning Since: 2011
Camp Name: Barbie Death Camp THIRTEENTH BARBIE

Post by MyDearFriend » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:13 pm

FlyingMonkey wrote:I just wrapped up the construction of my Jockey Box & have the kegs on CO2. There will be no warm beer for my friends on the Playa :D
Where are you camping, FlyingMonkey??? Or, more particularly, where and when are you pouring? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I got new boots today, which is way past when I should have done that, but I found these "vegan safety boots" by Fugu, canvas with lightweight soles and steel toes, wow, and extremely comfortable right out of the box. Mid-calf, velcro, secure attachment points for lights, room for my boot flask, perfect.

8) 8) 8)
"Burning Man ruined my life as I knew it, and I have never been happier." -mgb327

"BTW I'm not your wife so don't lie to me." -Ratty

FlyingMonkey

Post by FlyingMonkey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:06 am

MyDearFriend wrote:
FlyingMonkey wrote:I just wrapped up the construction of my Jockey Box & have the kegs on CO2. There will be no warm beer for my friends on the Playa :D
Where are you camping, FlyingMonkey??? Or, more particularly, where and when are you pouring? :lol: :lol: :lol:

8) 8) 8)
I'm camping with Snowflake Village & most of the time my beer will be on tap at the Confederacy of Dunces bar. We are place at Esplanade & 9:30. I'm working on a way to haul my beer around the Playa but it's a work in progress.

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:00 am

Flying Monkey, I'm writing that down. There's an art tour by bike that leaves from 9 and Espla. I'll need some of your beer first. Please.

euphoria101

Post by euphoria101 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:33 am

Finished our 6' Stretch folding Hexayurt!!!!

Wired up the fan for the FIGJAM, AA, AAA batteries, confirmed the rental van, got a spare charge controller, bought extra hot glue (still gotta fur my bike up!!), superglue for FIGJAM fan.

Laundry.

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:54 am

Today was an insanely busy day, but I still managed several hours of full on get 'er done mode. Finished the last of my trike maintenance and it's done and ready to go, then finished a deep maintenance on my generator (oil change, air filter, spark plug, and even replaced the spark arrestor), then got the bin full of bike and generator support stuff packed. Packed up most of my tools, got the garage re-organized and got a bunch of miscellaneous gear and supplies checked and ready to load up this weekend. In the evening we went over to storage and pulled everything that goes with us (my gf and I do this together, and each do a once-over check to make sure we haven't missed something we'll need out there). Back at the house, a number of other bins were moved and staged for packing in the days ahead.

I also finally got around to doing the all-important battery check. We check the various things we'll be bringing to identify what size batteries they use, and then make sure we've got a ziploc bag with a supply of that size battery coming with us. The standard sizes are easy enough, but with fancy LED wearable stuff they can use some oddball watch or hearing aid batteries. We had most of what we need, but I booked an order for the one we were low on.

Lots more to pack, but the number of errands and shopping trips is dwindling (woohoo). And I think I'm done with crazy meeting days (double woohoo).

trilobyte
Site Admin
Burning Since: 2004
Camp Name: Eridu Society

Post by trilobyte » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:23 pm

I made what I believe may be my last lumber yard/hardware store run for the season. I also got a bit more of the food shop done, and working on the last bits of laundry. My gf located the bag with her camera for the playa this morning, that's a load off her mind. Mine is still packed in a bin from the move a few months ago, I'll get to that this evening.

A couple of the last shipments are arriving, the pieces are falling into place.

unjonharley
Burning Since: 2001
Camp Name: Elliot's naked bycycel repair

Post by unjonharley » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:39 pm

BBadger wrote:Got my hitch wiring harness installed, and hitch cargo lights installed too. Can never have too many lights for safe transport!
Do not forget to cross you safety chain under the hitch.. If the hitch lets go (for any reason) the chains can help hold the trailer up, for a more controlled stop .. The damndest thing you will ever witness,: is your trailer passing you ..
I'm the contraptioneer your mother warned you about.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:55 pm

* Printed out all my Will Call ticket stuff.

* Revised and printed final packing list.

* Bought some costume silliness online!

* Worked on my Event schedule.
unjonharley wrote:
BBadger wrote:Got my hitch wiring harness installed, and hitch cargo lights installed too. Can never have too many lights for safe transport!
Do not forget to cross you safety chain under the hitch.. If the hitch lets go (for any reason) the chains can help hold the trailer up, for a more controlled stop .. The damndest thing you will ever witness,: is your trailer passing you ..
:shock:

Useful information, in case I ever use a trailer! Thank you, Unjon. (Even though it wasn't me you were talking to!)

BBadger
Burning Since: 2010

Post by BBadger » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:27 pm

unjonharley wrote:
Holy shit, that is really good information! The kind of thing that is just a small change that can make a big difference. I think I'll pass this on to my camp's tip and tricks list.

Don't let this happen:

"The essence of tyranny is not iron law. It is capricious law." -- Christopher Hitchens

Hate reading my replies? Click here to add me to your plonk (foe) list.

LeonardPotato

Post by LeonardPotato » Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:52 am

unjonharley wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but what do you mean by cross the chains?
I have heard of twisting them to take up slack, but not crossing them.
Do you mean like wrap them around each other?
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:44 am

LeonardPotato wrote:
unjonharley wrote:
Maybe a dumb question, but what do you mean by cross the chains?
I have heard of twisting them to take up slack, but not crossing them.
Do you mean like wrap them around each other?
re, Your trailer safety chain.. Take the left chain, pass it under the hitch, attach to the right (hand) side of the vehicle.. Then the right chain to the left side .. Makes a cradle for the hitch .. Will keep the hitch from digging into the pavement and flipping it forward over your car.

TT120
Burning Since: 2012
Camp Name: Orphans TOO!

Post by TT120 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:03 am

Like this:

Life's a bitch, then you go to Burning Man - Unjonharley

W6BJD

unjonharley

Post by unjonharley » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 am

TT120 wrote:Like this:

Yes.. I have a 100lb. limit on my little cars ball hitch .. But put some heavy duty chains on the trailer.. Also 6 ply tires for the desert cross ..
Like getting home safe ..

LeonardPotato

Post by LeonardPotato » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:32 am

unjonharley wrote:
TT120 wrote:Like this:

Yes.. I have a 100lb. limit on my little cars ball hitch .. But put some heavy duty chains on the trailer.. Also 6 ply tires for the desert cross ..
Like getting home safe ..
Thank you both!
I would not have thought to do that.
To days of inspiration, playing hooky, making something out of nothing. The need to express, to communicate. To going against the grain, going insane, going mad. To love and tension, no pension. To more than one dimension

RosieTahoe
Burning Since: 2013

Post by RosieTahoe » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:22 am

We weren't going to be able to burn this year but wonderfully, life is a long and windy road, and circumstances changed and it turned out we are coming for the full week! Not being sure if we'd be able to make it prevented me from my usual ePlaya haunting and occasional posting throughout the year. Just reading through this thread was like coming home. Everyone around me thinks I'm a bit crazy with all my preparation but all of you fuckers are just as crazy as me (if not more so! haha).

So.... yesterday my husband, campmate friend, and I drove down to Reno to organize our storage unit (we had thrown playa-covered stuff in there after last burn thinking it would be at least a few years before we used it again) and it was buried behind our "real life" storage shit. Anyway, we had so much crap all over the place that an employee came up to check on us to see if we were moving in or out. We tried explaining we were doing neither over three times and he just couldn't process it - how could you have so much shit and not be moving in or out??

Then the hubby and I went to WinCo, Trader Jos, Whole Foods, and Walmart to finish all of our shopping except for perishables I'll buy at the supermarket in Tahoe on Saturday before we leave that night.

300 lip balms for you crazy peeps, DONE. Insane amount of costume crafting, DONE (including a few things for my 21 year old newbie sister joining us this year!) Shopping, mostly DONE. Now it's time for organizing, packing, stressing, organizing again, being unable to sleep as I remember things I forgot at 4am despite my 7 pages of lists... Oh, the BM craziness only you guys understand!!

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:26 am

YAY!

congrats on coming back!
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Ratty

Post by Ratty » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:28 am

Yay Rosie! Come to the Meet & Greet.

Savannah

Post by Savannah » Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:53 am

Vodka, underwear, caffeine tablets.

All one really needs. :lol:

lucky420

Post by lucky420 » Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:04 pm

Savannah wrote:Vodka, underwear, caffeine tablets.

All one really needs. :lol:

Pretty much
Oh my god, it's HUGE!

Return to “Q & A Tips and Tricks”